HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Lounge XCI - Hurt Is My HFBoards Mom Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-18-2012, 07:41 PM
  #476
BertCorbeau
Global Moderator
 
BertCorbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamosko View Post
Yeah JMC, not sure if she's a fan of a specific team yet so Team Canada seems like a good choice with the WJC's coming up.

Or I could try and convert her to a Leafs fan
Leafs fan, and do it now before the season starts and she sees how rough it is being one

Team Canada should be automatic

BertCorbeau is online now  
Old
12-18-2012, 07:56 PM
  #477
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibru View Post
I go down to have a nice dinner with my parents and they are bugging me about staying up late, staying in my room all day to play videogames, watching movies and stuff on top of that they are constantly nagging me about getting a job soon. it's like ****! I have tried and am trying so shut up about it. no wonder why I live in residence, just to get away from them. Also they were talking about the shooting in that school and my moms like "Its all because he probably played those damn videogames." Its like holy **** mom you are so ****ing ********. Rant over
Sounds eerily similar to my situation.

Add on top of that, that I'm sick, they don't accept my religious views, and you've got my life to a T.

Dangles McGavin is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 07:58 PM
  #478
Kyle93*
LL4Life
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pyongyang
Country: North Korea
Posts: 18,899
vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Sounds eerily similar to my situation.

Add on top of that, that I'm sick, they don't accept my religious views, and you've got my life to a T.
Not accepting your religious views? That's kinda stupid.

Kyle93* is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:02 PM
  #479
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibru View Post
I go down to have a nice dinner with my parents and they are bugging me about staying up late, staying in my room all day to play videogames, watching movies and stuff on top of that they are constantly nagging me about getting a job soon. it's like ****! I have tried and am trying so shut up about it. no wonder why I live in residence, just to get away from them. Also they were talking about the shooting in that school and my moms like "Its all because he probably played those damn videogames." Its like holy **** mom you are so ****ing ********. Rant over
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Lol my moms the same. Don't worry
All mom's are like that.

I remember having to just tell her,

"Look it's what I do and if all you're going to is give me **** for it everytime you see me, then you won't be seeing me too much. If you want to spend time together then you need to let it go and quit hassling me about it. "

Seemed to work out.

charliolemieux is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:03 PM
  #480
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibru View Post
Not accepting your religious views? That's kinda stupid.
Very religious family, I was also very religious up until about a year ago.

It hit them hard (that I am now an atheist) and it's just taking them a while to accept it. I get it, because I was the same way, but it just looks stupid from the outside looking in.

Dangles McGavin is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:05 PM
  #481
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 29,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Very religious family, I was also very religious up until about a year ago.

It hit them hard (that I am now an atheist) and it's just taking them a while to accept it. I get it, because I was the same way, but it just looks stupid from the outside looking in.
Same. When I told my parents I don't believe in that stuff my dad cussed me out lol.


Phion Keneuf is online now  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:06 PM
  #482
charliolemieux
rsTmf
 
charliolemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Sounds eerily similar to my situation.

Add on top of that, that I'm sick, they don't accept my religious views, and you've got my life to a T.
Ya don't see eye to eye on Religion with my mom either.

I don't bring it up. When she does I just smile and nod.

charliolemieux is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:07 PM
  #483
Kyle93*
LL4Life
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pyongyang
Country: North Korea
Posts: 18,899
vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Very religious family, I was also very religious up until about a year ago.

It hit them hard (that I am now an atheist) and it's just taking them a while to accept it. I get it, because I was the same way, but it just looks stupid from the outside looking in.
I get that. I have a religious family and I used to go to church every sunday with my parents but around sometime last year I just stopped going. I really didn't enjoy going and now I think I am an athiest. I am kinda undecided at the moment though about what I believe.

Kyle93* is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:10 PM
  #484
kamosko
Ginger Jesus
 
kamosko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Girouxsalem
Country: North Korea
Posts: 10,471
vCash: 50
Sounds like I was very lucky with my parents, they were always accepting and encouraging of most things I did or wanted to growing up.

Well besides some obvious things they kept me away from like smoking/drinking/hanging out with the wrong people etc.

Like they're very religious as well, but they know that religion isn't as big as me as it is to them and not something I really think of at all.

But I always do stuff like go to church with them out of respect though.

kamosko is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:11 PM
  #485
JMcLeaf
Unregistered User
 
JMcLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ♫d(-_-)b♫
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 18,261
vCash: 3290
It frustrates me when parents expect their children to have the same religious views as them. I wish parents would give their kids the opportunity to do the research and choose their own views.

JMcLeaf is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:13 PM
  #486
kamosko
Ginger Jesus
 
kamosko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Girouxsalem
Country: North Korea
Posts: 10,471
vCash: 50



kamosko is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:14 PM
  #487
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Same. When I told my parents I don't believe in that stuff my dad cussed me out lol.

I wish it was like that for me lol. Instead, it was my mom crying for weeks. I felt so bad, but there's nothing I could do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Ya don't see eye to eye on Religion with my mom either.

I don't bring it up. When she does I just smile and nod.
Yeah, I do the same. For the first little while I tried to logically walk them through my thought process, but once I realized that it doesn't work that easily, I just stopped bringing it up. I try to be polite when my family brings it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibru View Post
I get that. I have a religious family and I used to go to church every sunday with my parents but around sometime last year I just stopped going. I really didn't enjoy going and now I think I am an athiest. I am kinda undecided at the moment though about what I believe.
Took me a while to sort out my beliefs. Belief isn't really a choice, IMO, more of a reaction to what you perceive as evidence, or in my case, lack there of. Most of my best friends are still religious folk, because they were the ones I was around most growing up, and I don't look down on them for their beliefs at all. It is irritating, though, when they ask for my reasons arrogantly, as if I'm automatically wrong and have only 'decided' to change my beliefs out of rebellion or something stupid like that.

Dangles McGavin is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:15 PM
  #488
JMcLeaf
Unregistered User
 
JMcLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ♫d(-_-)b♫
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 18,261
vCash: 3290
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamosko View Post


lol nice

So annoying when they'd take the clips down

JMcLeaf is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:15 PM
  #489
Kyle93*
LL4Life
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pyongyang
Country: North Korea
Posts: 18,899
vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
It frustrates me when parents expect their children to have the same religious views as them. I wish parents would give their kids the opportunity to do the research and choose their own views.
Yeah I was always forced to go to church and it was stupid because I was always bored there. I wouldn't even really pay attention I would just talk with my friends there the entire time. I honestly just wish I could of decided on my own if I wanted to go or not.

Kyle93* is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:18 PM
  #490
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
It frustrates me when parents expect their children to have the same religious views as them. I wish parents would give their kids the opportunity to do the research and choose their own views.
Yeah, that's what bugged me the most about my situation. I'm 21 now, and this wasn't some split-second decision, but a well-researched and well thought-out conclusion. I don't guarantee that I'm correct, because this sort of stuff is impossible to be 100% certain about (hence, faith), but the very religious folk refuse to accept that.

In any case, I love my family regardless of their beliefs. It has definitely created a kind of tension between me and the rest of the family, but it's not too bad, so I can live with that.

And on that note, I will say this: I despise /r/atheism. That is all.

Dangles McGavin is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:20 PM
  #491
Kyle93*
LL4Life
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pyongyang
Country: North Korea
Posts: 18,899
vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Yeah, that's what bugged me the most about my situation. I'm 21 now, and this wasn't some split-second decision, but a well-researched and well thought-out conclusion. I don't guarantee that I'm correct, because this sort of stuff is impossible to be 100% certain about (hence, faith), but the very religious folk refuse to accept that.

In any case, I love my family regardless of their beliefs. It has definitely created a kind of tension between me and the rest of the family, but it's not too bad, so I can live with that.
Exactly it is Impossibru to be certain about. Hehe see what I did there?

Kyle93* is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:21 PM
  #492
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibru View Post
Exactly it is Impossibru to be certain about. Hehe see what I did there?

Dangles McGavin is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:23 PM
  #493
JMcLeaf
Unregistered User
 
JMcLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ♫d(-_-)b♫
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 18,261
vCash: 3290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Yeah, that's what bugged me the most about my situation. I'm 21 now, and this wasn't some split-second decision, but a well-researched and well thought-out conclusion. I don't guarantee that I'm correct, because this sort of stuff is impossible to be 100% certain about (hence, faith), but the very religious folk refuse to accept that.

In any case, I love my family regardless of their beliefs. It has definitely created a kind of tension between me and the rest of the family, but it's not too bad, so I can live with that.

And on that note, I will say this: I despise /r/atheism. That is all.
I only look at a few of the top posts. I can handle it in small doses.

JMcLeaf is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:24 PM
  #494
Kyle93*
LL4Life
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pyongyang
Country: North Korea
Posts: 18,899
vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post

Kyle93* is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:25 PM
  #495
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
I only look at a few of the top posts. I can handle it in small doses.
I pop in every now and then. I unsubscribed so I only go when I think about it, maybe once or twice a month.

Dangles McGavin is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:27 PM
  #496
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 29,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
I wish it was like that for me lol. Instead, it was my mom crying for weeks. I felt so bad, but there's nothing I could do.
Wow that's really hardcore, I believed in it until I took world religions and then I started questioning how could all these hundred something religions all be right. the morals of the religion are fine, it's just when they start talking about different gods, resurrecting people, angels and all that other fairy tale stuff is what I don't believe in at all.

Phion Keneuf is online now  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:27 PM
  #497
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 500
Did anyone else see this on reddit? It's called: "If this isn't there next album cover, they're doing it wrong". I laughed way too hard.


Dangles McGavin is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:28 PM
  #498
kamosko
Ginger Jesus
 
kamosko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Girouxsalem
Country: North Korea
Posts: 10,471
vCash: 50
Yeah I can't stand /r/atheism

it's like "we can bash anything and everything about religion because we're smart, if you say anything otherwise you're some dumb religious fool and we'll ridicule you"

kamosko is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:29 PM
  #499
Kyle93*
LL4Life
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Pyongyang
Country: North Korea
Posts: 18,899
vCash: 1255
I just wish I could be more civil with my family. I want to spend more time with them, but they make it so hard that I just want to move away and not be around them. They always ask me why I am always in my room but I can never tell them that it is to escape this world for a while. I like being alone a lot and just watching anime's, movies, listening to music, videogames. I just wish they could get that. Like take today for example, I go downstairs to watch TV with them and they just constantly keep nagging me and asking me questions and It's like I JUST WANT TO WATCH THIS GOD DAMNIT! I then tell them to not talk as much because I want to see this and my mom thinks its like a personal attack on them and that I dont want to be around her.

Kyle93* is offline  
Old
12-18-2012, 08:37 PM
  #500
Epictetus
Moderator
Release the Hounds.
 
Epictetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,894
vCash: 155
It's best to just keep these things to yourself, particularly your religious beliefs (or lack thereof) and personal politics.

I made the mistake twice, actually.

One started when I refused to eat meat at a family gathering, since you know, I am a vegetarian. I cited this reason multiple times. It turned political when I was asked "why" and stated that I don't view animals as any different than human-beings, and so would not like to participate or be a part of their commercial slaughter.

The second started when we were talking about Hurricane Katrina, and my aunt said something like, "God will take care of them". And then it made me think of the Problem of Evil: If God is omnipotent, beneficent, and omni-present, then why does evil and suffering occurring and on such a frequent basis? I basically stated this...and it did not turn out so well.

It's not worth it to argue your personal philosophies amongst others, particularly when it can harm relationships and deeply offend the other person. Being "right" isn't worth it.

Epictetus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.