HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Favorite Cologne?

Old
12-16-2012, 10:22 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
+++ on the Bond no9. I have 3 of there fragrances.

Another one is l'Artisan and french producer. They have some interesting scents.

Amouage is an interesting case. I didnt think they sold it in canada. Its from Oman in the arabian peninsula but theyve been able to adapt the traditional scents to be cross cultural.

What does Amouage go for in Canada?
I know there is a really high end fragrance shop in Vancouver in that mall that is smaller and kind of older...I don't know the name of it. There are also boutiques in Toronto and Montreal that sell Amouage.

Amouage usually goes for around the same price of Creed I believe for most of their fragrances, though I believe a few (like Jubilation XXV or whatever) go for like $100.00 more. If you're buying niche you should be buying online anyways and save a bunch of money.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dayvan Cowboy View Post
I know there is a really high end fragrance shop in Vancouver in that mall that is smaller and kind of older...I don't know the name of it. There are also boutiques in Toronto and Montreal that sell Amouage.

Amouage usually goes for around the same price of Creed I believe for most of their fragrances, though I believe a few (like Jubilation XXV or whatever) go for like $100.00 more. If you're buying niche you should be buying online anyways and save a bunch of money.
I live in the middle east so i wont be buying in canada anytime soon. Just curious that its available in canada as amouage is quite popular here.

I assume it only available in high end shops?

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:35 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
I live in the middle east so i wont be buying in canada anytime soon. Just curious that its available in canada as amouage is quite popular here.

I assume it only available in high end shops?
Yes, specialty shops. Ones that would only be in Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal. The Bay carries two Bond no.9 fragrances (I <3 NY for All and for Him), some Tom Ford Private Blend can be found at Harry Rosen, and a couple fragrance stores carry Creed. Aside from that, unfortunately you need to be in the big three aforementioned cities in Canada if you want the best selection.

Old
12-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Yes, specialty shops. Ones that would only be in Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal. The Bay carries two Bond no.9 fragrances (I <3 NY for All and for Him), some Tom Ford Private Blend can be found at Harry Rosen, and a couple fragrance stores carry Creed. Aside from that, unfortunately you need to be in the big three aforementioned cities in Canada if you want the best selection.
Amouage Ciel 100ml is $265 CDN in The Perfume Shoppe online.

Same in Dubai is 1200 AED which about $320 USD. No tax.

Same at Amouage online is €200.

So it seems the price is comparable.

Old
12-17-2012, 12:23 AM
Rizer

Quote:
How much would I expect to pay for the Bond no. 9 in Canada? I've been reading up on it and I've heard some really nice things. Next time I'm at the Bay I'll use one of the tester bottles, but until then I'm just wondering on the prices. I tend to be very frugal, so I never spend more than $100 on a cologne. The Hugo line sells for about $80 a bottle here, which is very affordable, especially considering a standard sized bottle lasts me about 3 years, and that's using 1 spray a day.

Rizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 12:58 AM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizer View Post
How much would I expect to pay for the Bond no. 9 in Canada? I've been reading up on it and I've heard some really nice things. Next time I'm at the Bay I'll use one of the tester bottles, but until then I'm just wondering on the prices. I tend to be very frugal, so I never spend more than $100 on a cologne. The Hugo line sells for about $80 a bottle here, which is very affordable, especially considering a standard sized bottle lasts me about 3 years, and that's using 1 spray a day.
50ml is $100 I believe. I can't remember how much a 100ml bottle goes for...I would only buy Bond online.

Of the two they have at The Bay I <3 NYs...

For Him: High end sporty-fruity fragrance. It smells nice, clean, sort of professional...but it is one Bond that doesn't really justify it's price.
For All: I own this one, and honestly hated it the first time I tested it. Went back and tried it on my own skin and fell in love with it. Smokey cocoa kind of smell. Not for casual every day use though, but it would be good for a date or something.

If you're going to go the Bond route, which is very suggestable, order a 6 pack of samples from their website for like $10.00 of ones you think you may like, try them out, and buy them. My friend and I are planning on doing an order of a bunch of samples and then subsequently a bottle or two from them.

I asked for a bottle of Bond no.9 New Haarlem (Which is supposed to be the ultimate "sexy" winter fragrance) for Christmas from my mother, but I have my doubts she was able to track one down without my help. If she did I'll be really impressed.

Old
12-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Bond no9:

http://www.bondno9.com/shop

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rds=Bond%20no9

Old
12-17-2012, 01:36 AM
Rizer

Quote:
50ml is $100 I believe. I can't remember how much a 100ml bottle goes for...I would only buy Bond online.

Of the two they have at The Bay I <3 NYs...

For Him: High end sporty-fruity fragrance. It smells nice, clean, sort of professional...but it is one Bond that doesn't really justify it's price.
For All: I own this one, and honestly hated it the first time I tested it. Went back and tried it on my own skin and fell in love with it. Smokey cocoa kind of smell. Not for casual every day use though, but it would be good for a date or something.

If you're going to go the Bond route, which is very suggestable, order a 6 pack of samples from their website for like $10.00 of ones you think you may like, try them out, and buy them. My friend and I are planning on doing an order of a bunch of samples and then subsequently a bottle or two from them.

I asked for a bottle of Bond no.9 New Haarlem (Which is supposed to be the ultimate "sexy" winter fragrance) for Christmas from my mother, but I have my doubts she was able to track one down without my help. If she did I'll be really impressed.
Very good suggestion.

I'm going to check that out. Have you ordered from them before? How is the reliability and customs on their orders? I'm eager to try their stuff out now that you recommended it, and I've been reading good things about it.

Rizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 01:41 AM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizer View Post
Very good suggestion.

I'm going to check that out. Have you ordered from them before? How is the reliability and customs on their orders? I'm eager to try their stuff out now that you recommended it, and I've been reading good things about it.
As posted above there are ways to get their samples and colognes through other websites. I've never worked with their website directly...but according to other Canadian buyers their websites is horrible to get an order put through to Canada. Supposedly calling them works wonders and they're very nice (Bond no.9 isn't a huge company. It's a small outfit in New York. You're likely to talk to the same nice people.)

luckyscent.com is very popular for samples.
fragrancenet.com is where I buy bottles themselves. Great deals, great shipping. I think they have samples as well.

I've never gone through the Bond website / store directly, but I plan to for the big sample order I want to do.

ALSO Bond no.9 is a niche brand. That means they and the perfumees (Or whoever actually concocts the scent) aren't under direct orders from the higher ups of the companies in designer fragrances like Hugo Boss, Armani, all those names you recognize. That means they typically take a lot more risks. That typically means you'll really dislike it or absolutely love it.

Old
12-17-2012, 02:19 AM
awesomo
HARD!

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:51 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobo View Post
This and

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

The three I have on my dresser...

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:02 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I don't know, but I have a collection of bottles never used that someone gives me every Christmas.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:03 AM
NYRFANMANI
beyond good and evil

Giorgio Armani, Armani Mania

mostly my favorite cause my name is in it three times ^^

NYRFANMANI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:51 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

What would happen if you mixed them together?

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 01:58 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Haha, good to see you again, I knew when I saw this thread I would see you posting a Creed. How is Aventus btw? Heard lots of good reviews but also a lot of negative ones...main issues I've generally seen being posted are that it can come off as feminine or that it smells like "canned pineapple juice" to some people. Overall it has rave reviews though.

Quote:
I expected better out of you Rizer. If there is one department where the Hugo Boss cops out -- it is fragrance. Boss Bottled #6 is a classic but everything else is pretty much garbage.
I agree that the Hugo Boss line is garbage, very "safe" and boring scents that are overpriced. YSL and Chanel in comparison are far superior. However, Hugo is one of the few that I like and it is a classic, though it has an odd rancid smell at the very end of the drydown; others seemed to have the same complaint.. And 100% agree on Boss Bottled. IIRC, we both have this in our wardrobe, but I can't say enough how much I love it.

I don't have a personal favourite, but honestly, Le Male by JPG, as overplayed and synthetic it can be, really holds a special place in my heart. I remember how badly I wanted this fragrance for such a long time, when I finally acquired it, it was like heaven to my nose. It's a projection and longevity monster and an absolute hit with the ladies. Downside is you see a lot of immature college boys these days who bathe in it when they hit the club/bar. Popularity is what has killed this scent, but it's still a classic in my eyes, and I will always love it. 3 full sprays out of this bad boy will get you a lot of mileage.

Currently, I am getting good use out of this

Great scent by YSL, very underrated and a hidden gem. For some odd reason, despite the "Kouros" name (this has absolutely nothing in common with the original Kouros), it never caught on in terms of popularity and YSL never bothered to market it as heavily as they are now with La Nuit de L'Homme and other scents. This smells sweet but also masculine, you literally think "yum" when you smell this, which makes sense since it's classified as a gourmand. It's linear, but it gives good projection and longevity. It's impossible to find in stores, but online it can be found readily for cheap, 100 mL bottles go for $35-40. It's similar to Le Male but more classy and not nearly as synthetic. Great for romantic evenings and nights out.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 02:15 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
As posted above there are ways to get their samples and colognes through other websites. I've never worked with their website directly...but according to other Canadian buyers their websites is horrible to get an order put through to Canada. Supposedly calling them works wonders and they're very nice (Bond no.9 isn't a huge company. It's a small outfit in New York. You're likely to talk to the same nice people.)

luckyscent.com is very popular for samples.
fragrancenet.com is where I buy bottles themselves. Great deals, great shipping. I think they have samples as well.

I've never gone through the Bond website / store directly, but I plan to for the big sample order I want to do.

ALSO Bond no.9 is a niche brand. That means they and the perfumees (Or whoever actually concocts the scent) aren't under direct orders from the higher ups of the companies in designer fragrances like Hugo Boss, Armani, all those names you recognize. That means they typically take a lot more risks. That typically means you'll really dislike it or absolutely love it.
FragranceX has turned out to be a great site to order from as well, especially if you are in Canada. Free shipping, no customs, no duties, and it should arrive within 6 business days, 10 max. I find for designer scents, FragranceX is better than FragranceNet because the shipping costs at FragranceNet completely kill whatever deal you're getting. Though of course, there are instances where FragranceNet is better, it has more variety and specifically if you're buying niche or big orders it can actually end up being cheaper after using coupons and everything.

As for samples/vials, I found this place called fragrancevials.com. Pretty sure all vials are $2.50-$3.50, they have Creeds and Bond no.9 on there, not all of them but quite a few. If you can't find any samples at the store, this is a good place to go. Shipping is cheap too since it's just vials.

Last edited by LeafOfBread: 12-24-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old
12-24-2012, 03:30 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Haha, good to see you again, I knew when I saw this thread I would see you posting a Creed. How is Aventus btw? Heard lots of good reviews but also a lot of negative ones...main issues I've generally seen being posted are that it can come off as feminine or that it smells like "canned pineapple juice" to some people. Overall it has rave reviews though.
When I was working in sales and talking to people on a regular basis during the day, it wouldn't be odd to get anywhere from 3-5 compliments from women I was selling to in shifts as short as four hours.

And not just "You smell good", things like "That is the best cologne I've ever smelled. What is it?"

I remember one time I spent more time during the sale talking to a mother and daughter about Aventus and where to get it than what I was actually selling them.

I haven't worn it to class or at all since September though. I also bought Jaguar Vision which is supposed to be to Aventus what Cuba Gold is to Le Male. There are some similarities, it just is not nearly as strong and will get you more "You smell like old man" than Aventus. Aventus is strong as **** too. I haven't applied to my wrists in a long time and I think the last couple times I did was with Aventus while I was wearing a leather band wristwatch. That watch still smells faintly like Aventus...months after the fact.

Edit: If I have one complaint...olfactory fatigue. You can put a pretty potent amount on (Depending on batch variation which is another complaint. I got one of the great batches though) and not smell it at all after an hour. Others will, but for that kind of money and the fact it smells amazing I kind of want to be able to smell it myself.

Last edited by The Dayvan Cowboy: 12-24-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old
11-30-2013, 07:11 PM
StringerBell

LeafofBread I took your advice yesterday and hit up the Bay for some samples. They only gave me two: Play and Pi Neo, both from Givenchy. Any thoughts on either?

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Going to mention the cologne that makes you smell like the beach again

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

vCash: 50
ladies love the Aqua de gio

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 09:10 PM
StoneColdGMJN

Polo Explorer is GOAT

Hugo is good too.

StoneColdGMJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Dave
º

Are there any blackfriday sales for cologne?

Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2013, 09:27 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
LeafofBread I took your advice yesterday and hit up the Bay for some samples. They only gave me two: Play and Pi Neo, both from Givenchy. Any thoughts on either?
Department stores are pretty lame for samples now, I'd check Sephora as they're more open to providing samples. As for those two, I'll be honest neither are very good, just average. You can find much better. Play Intense is also way better than the original play.

Feel free to ask any more questions if you need to.