HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Michael Ryder, 1st line player wrinting all over him.

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2003, 09:53 AM
Crusher20

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Michael Ryder, 1st line player wrinting all over him.

So far in the preseason he seem to be the best player.. not only offensively but as a complete player. this guy is a lock for the NHL.. to be send down to the ahl would be an insult imo.

he should be on the first line at least until he proves he dont belong there.. why on the first line? because we need at least 2 lines with some offensive potential.. i know ryder isnt a 1st line player potential carreer wise but more like a 2nd line player..

Ryder, as decent size, above average shot and vision, great work ethic, good 2way game, average speed and isnt afraid to go to the corners and hit occasionaly if needed. he got all the tools needed.

I think of these lines:

Michael Ryder - Saku Koivu - Donald Audette
Jan Bulis - Mike Ribeiro - Richard Zednik

what do you gys think!?

Old
09-21-2003, 10:00 AM
RichardZednik#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20
So far in the preseason he seem to be the best player.. not only offensively but as a complete player. this guy is a lock for the NHL.. to be send down to the ahl would be an insult imo.

he should be on the first line at least until he proves he dont belong there.. why on the first line? because we need at least 2 lines with some offensive potential.. i know ryder isnt a 1st line player potential carreer wise but more like a 2nd line player..

Ryder, as decent size, above average shot and vision, great work ethic, good 2way game, average speed and isnt afraid to go to the corners and hit occasionaly if needed. he got all the tools needed.

I think of these lines:

what do you gys think!?
Well I don't know if he will play on the first line. Alot of things can happen. We don't know if Koivu will be playing or not. If not I think alot of lnes will be change. But I agree on your lines.

??-Koivu-Audette
Bulis-Ribeiro-Zednik
Sundstrom-Perreault-Ward

Those are the lines I prefer. With Ryder, Higgins, Kilger(when healthy), Juneau, Dackell, Dwyer,Hossa and possibly Perezhogin fighting for spot on 4th line. One of those guys will have the LW first line spot. Another possibilities would be a trade but thats unlikely.

Old
09-21-2003, 10:25 AM
Mike8

Quote:
So far in the preseason
'Nuff said. It's preseason. Give the hype a rest. Every week we're hyping a new prospect. By the end of the week, we're convinced they're going to be sure-fire 1st liners in the NHL. It's a tad ridiculous here. Let him play some NHL games before claiming he's a legit NHLer, much less a sure fire first liner.

Old
09-21-2003, 10:27 AM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardZednik#20
Well I don't know if he will play on the first line. Alot of things can happen. We don't know if Koivu will be playing or not. If not I think alot of lnes will be change. But I agree on your lines.

??-Koivu-Audette
Bulis-Ribeiro-Zednik
Sundstrom-Perreault-Ward

Those are the lines I prefer. With Ryder, Higgins, Kilger(when healthy), Juneau, Dackell, Dwyer,Hossa and possibly Perezhogin fighting for spot on 4th line. One of those guys will have the LW first line spot. Another possibilities would be a trade but thats unlikely.
Why would you give the 1st line LW to a guy who is fighting for 4th line spot. Just makes no sens to me.

Old
09-21-2003, 10:48 AM
Crusher20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklours
Why would you give the 1st line LW to a guy who is fighting for 4th line spot. Just makes no sens to me.
he is better than Ward, better than Hossa better than Ribeiro.. all those 3 players have major weakness in there play, Ward skating sucks, Hossa as all the tools but zero intensity and desire, and Ribeiro lacks speed and size too be effective in the NHL. while Ryder as no major weakness and as a highly underated offensive game. now tell me, why not!? why Ward? why Hossa? why Ribeiro?

Old
09-21-2003, 10:51 AM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
At the same time last year, people were talking about Hainey as the rookie of the year and how he reminded us of Larry Robinson.

Old
09-21-2003, 11:10 AM
SpezNc

Quote:
he is better than Ward, better than Hossa better than Ribeiro.. all those 3 players have major weakness in there play, Ward skating sucks, Hossa as all the tools but zero intensity and desire, and Ribeiro lacks speed and size too be effective in the NHL. while Ryder as no major weakness and as a highly underated offensive game. now tell me, why not!? why Ward? why Hossa? why Ribeiro?
It's true, Ward isnt a speedters.... But I think he is gonna be a great 3th/4th liner..

He got desire, Work ethics, Size and toughness to be effective on a 3rd line...

But so far, Ryder is very impressives...

I'd a 3rd line like this:

JASON WARD- CHRISTOPHER HIGGINS - MICHEAL RYDER

3 young players, 3 hard workings, 3 guy responsible in the defensive side...

Old
09-21-2003, 11:12 AM
Kerberos

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome`
At the same time last year, people were talking about Hainey as the rookie of the year and how he reminded us of Larry Robinson.
You can't prove it since all the evidence has been conveniently destroyed I bet?

Old
09-21-2003, 11:14 AM
Kerberos

vCash:
Quote:
Ribeiro lacks speed and size too be effective in the NHL.
I went to the habs practice yesterday and Ribeiro sure didn't look slow or small. Just because he was slow or small at some point doesn't mean that he will be all his life.

Old
09-21-2003, 11:15 AM
Crusher20

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome`

I said he as 2nd line potential carreer wize.. I also think our team sucks so much in terms of real offensive players that Ryder could split in there.. not only that but Ryder isnt 20.. he is 23 going to be 24 this year... not much of a kid.. he is older than Ribeiro wich as been giving his chance 3 years in a row.. why not Ryder, ONCE!

thats my point.

Old
09-21-2003, 11:25 AM
RichardZednik#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklours
And thats why we have a sucky offence and wil not be part of the playoff. It's the sad truth. Or maybe you can tell me what player you would put there.

Old
09-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Playr050

Send a message via AIM to Playr050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
I went to the habs practice yesterday and Ribeiro sure didn't look slow or small. Just because he was slow or small at some point doesn't mean that he will be all his life.
Hehe, did you see Charron go off on Audette? Good stuff.

Old
09-21-2003, 11:29 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
'Nuff said. It's preseason. Give the hype a rest. Every week we're hyping a new prospect. By the end of the week, we're convinced they're going to be sure-fire 1st liners in the NHL. It's a tad ridiculous here. Let him play some NHL games before claiming he's a legit NHLer, much less a sure fire first liner.

Ryder's the current treat of the week. I'm not saying he wont be a good player in the NHL someday, but lets not get carried away here.

Remember this time last season? Ron Hainsey was being talked of in the same way, and look how his season turned out...

Old
09-21-2003, 11:30 AM
Go Habs Go

I would put Ryder and Bulis on the second line with Perreault. Ryder isn't bad defensively and Bulis is fairly solid. They would compensate for Perreault's lack of a defensive game. 1st line I would have Koivu with Zednik and Audette (Although, I would rather see Hossa on this line). I would then play Ward on the 3rd line with Juneau and Sundstrom, Ward will be a solid 3rd liner for us for years to come. Higgins shouldn't play this year, a year in Hamilton will be much better for him. Next year, we can get rid of Juneau and play him with Ward. I still don't think Ribeiro will make it. No matter how well he does now, pre-season means didly. When the season starts and teams start to push and shove more and play more conservatively, he'll become useless (actually, liability is more like it). People can argue that he had a good push at the end of last season. Unfortunately, he pushed when the season was mathematically over. That's great! A guy that can only perform when it doesn't count! A player his size has to have speed to compensate. He has the combination of the worst attributes a hockey player can have in the NHL today, small and bad skating (not to mention, work ethic ain't that great). I don't understand, would it kill him to eat some more and do some more weight training.

Old
09-21-2003, 11:33 AM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playr050
Hehe, did you see Charron go off on Audette? Good stuff.

How about when every started cheering when Audette finally hit the net? Good times (Y)

Old
09-21-2003, 11:38 AM
Nyclaus

Ryder maybe won't play on the 1st line but it sure looks like he has cracked the roster.

He's a clutch player and will be very usefull as the year goes by...just look at his playoff stats.

Old
09-21-2003, 12:59 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

1st line? I'd be happy just to see him make the team, as he should have gotten a look last season, but too many bodies. The guy was one of the top goal scorers in the AHL and had a great playoff along with Ward. He should be in the lineup, but where who knows. I think 1st line is a strech for sure. He's never played an NHL game in his life. I'd put him on a line with Juneau and Sundstrom, but thats me.

Old
09-21-2003, 01:25 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
1st line? I'd be happy just to see him make the team, as he should have gotten a look last season, but too many bodies. The guy was one of the top goal scorers in the AHL and had a great playoff along with Ward. He should be in the lineup, but where who knows. I think 1st line is a strech for sure. He's never played an NHL game in his life. I'd put him on a line with Juneau and Sundstrom, but thats me.
I think if both Ryder and Ward are in the lineup at the begining of the season, we'll be able to put up balanced lines regardless of where they play. They both have enough scoring skills to assume they could move their way up in the depth chart but they also both play a defensively sound grinding game, meaning they won't hurt us on the bottom lines either.

In other words, They can play anywhere between the 1st and the 4th lines while remaining valuable for us (mainly for their size and grit), and possibly allow Zednik to be moved to LW as we're pretty weak at that position after Bulis.

possible lines:

Bulis - Koivu - Audette
Zednik - Ribeiro - Ward
Sundtrom - Perreault - Ryder
Dwyer - Juneau/Kilger - Dackell

Old
09-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:

I think of these lines:

what do you gys think!?

I would prefer to see this for my first 3 lines.

Ryder Koivu Ward
Bulis Hossa Zednik
Higgins Perrault Audette

My reasoning is as follows.... Ryder and Ward being 6feet + and 200lbs + would provide Koivu with 2 net crashing wingers that can score and at the same time provide Koivu with spaceout there.

Hossa seems to be struggling as a winger and has said himself he would welcome a move to his natural position (centre)

The third line is a good place for Higgins to start with 2 vets in Perrault and Audette. Audette should not be defaulted to the first line just because his name is Audette. He hasn't earned it, let him beat out a couple of young hungry players for the spot. I think this provides Montreal with 3 balnaced lines that could score!

Old
09-21-2003, 02:57 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund
I would prefer to see this for my first 3 lines.

Ryder Koivu Ward
Bulis Hossa Zednik
Higgins Perrault Audette

How often do you see 2 rookies together on the first line? I like the Bulis Hossa Zednik line though.

Old
09-21-2003, 03:15 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund
Hossa seems to be struggling as a winger and has said himself he would welcome a move to his natural position (centre)
When did he say such a thing?

Old
09-21-2003, 06:27 PM
Medicine Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I know, eh?! Most of these people prolly didn't even have Ryder in their projected roster a week ago. I've seen the proposed line-ups here many times and only about 20% of you here even had him on the roster, when I was saying he was a lock. I had him splitting time with Dackell on the 4th, but I'd probably give him the starting job now. Can Ryder play on the left side?

Bulis - Koivu - Audette
Hossa - Ribeiro - Zednik
Sundstrom - Perreault - Ward
Ryder - Juneau - Dackell

Dwyer

Old
09-22-2003, 05:26 AM
Season Ticket Holder

Ryder needs to learn some puck control before he can make a major impact. Granted, he's probably a bit nervous and excited trying to crack the lineup.

I'd be surprised if he makes it though. Although with people like Koivu and Kilger already in doubt, who knows...

First line, that's a pipe dream, it won't happen. Fourth line, maybe.

But he's gotta handle the puck better. At least from the preseason game I saw that was an issue.

But we'll see in the next few games how he does.

STH

Old
09-22-2003, 09:26 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec

Finally someone who know his hockey!!!

Old
09-22-2003, 10:51 AM
Gwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec

Finally someone who know his hockey!!!

Ouais, ca fait changement de certains autres qui sont tout le temps en train de basher Perreault hein?

Closed Thread