HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ryder For Da Calder ?

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2003, 02:07 PM
Bulis

vCash:
Ryder For Da Calder ?

What you guys think about it? Personally, I think he has a very good shot at winning it, but he'll have to keep the pace.

(Thiz iz my first post, BTW)

Old
10-13-2003, 02:10 PM
penopekoo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulis
What you guys think about it? Personally, I think he has a very good shot at winning it, but he'll have to keep the pace.

He'd need to have a really good season. He's 23 and they like to give them to younger players, so at his age he'd really have to stick out in order to get the trophy.

Old
10-13-2003, 02:17 PM
KnuklZ

If he can play the way he did in his first 2 games I think he deserves some consideration for the Calder. But like any "young" player he will probably go through some slumps and we will have to see how he will deal with adversity.

In a fantasy world we would win the following awards:

Markov for Norris
Ryder for Calder
CJ for Jack Adams
Theo for Vezina
Koivu for Lady Bing, Bill Masterton and of course the Hart trophy :p
And Perrault wins the Selke trophy

Old
10-13-2003, 02:19 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Ryder would have to outperform a lot of the 18-21 year old rookies this year such as Staal, Ruutu, Horton, some others and also the early favourite, Fleury. Fleury would only need to keep his G.A.A. slightly under 3.00 and his sv% slightly over .900 to get the nod on a god-awful Pens team. Ryder, as a 23-year old longshot, needs about 30-35 goals and 55-60 pts. if he plays a full year with tons of ice time.

Old
10-13-2003, 02:21 PM
PK*

First of all, welcome aboard !

To answer your question, I'd be happily surprised if he won it. I'm not saying he doesn't have a chance to win it, but right now my choice would be Peter Sejna of St. Louis. He plays with Doug Weight and he gets 20 + minutes per game with a lot of power play time. Ryder might get 35-40 pts this season while Sejna will probably get over 50 pts.

Old
10-13-2003, 02:37 PM
Tricolore#20

Ryder looked like a force against the Leafs....

My only problem with the guy is his number. 73?!!? what is that?

Old
10-13-2003, 02:44 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20

half of 146

Old
10-13-2003, 02:53 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

A special number for a special player

Who else wears #73 in the NHL ?

Old
10-13-2003, 03:00 PM
RichardZednik#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20

Maybe it's the same problem then Higgins, it's too late to change it.

Old
10-13-2003, 03:25 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK
First of all, welcome aboard !

To answer your question, I'd be happily surprised if he won it. I'm not saying he doesn't have a chance to win it, but right now my choice would be Peter Sejna of St. Louis. He plays with Doug Weight and he gets 20 + minutes per game with a lot of power play time. Ryder might get 35-40 pts this season while Sejna will probably get over 50 pts.
I don't care if your a rookie at 18 or under the age max of 26, if your deserving of it you should win it no matter what...points and age do not factor here. Rookie talk is tooooooo early anyway, plus a jinx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardZednik#20
Maybe it's the same problem then Higgins, it's too late to change it.
When you have sooooo many retired jersey's your choice is limited, plus I believe your assigned a number in Montreal, not asked what you want (rookies and young players only, Vets and traded players excepted). Ryder wore 26 in Hamilton last season, too bad he didn't have that # because my all time favourite Mats Naslund wore that number.

Old
10-13-2003, 03:37 PM
PK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
I don't care if your a rookie at 18 or under the age max of 26, if your deserving of it you should win it no matter what...points and age do not factor here. Rookie talk is tooooooo early anyway, plus a jinx.
I didn't say a word about age and for the points thing, when a rookie gets over 50 pts, he has a good chance to win the Calder. I agree with you that it should be the most deserving player who is rewarded, but the voters don't seem to think this way.

Old
10-13-2003, 04:34 PM
Craig52Rivet

I'd like to see it because I'd like the Canadiens to finally have some good young prospects work out at the pro level, but it's the kind of mentality in this thread that makes a lot of us habs fans the joke of the rest of the HFBoards... a guy scores his first NHL goal in our second game of the season on a rebound that hits his stick the right way in a game where we were already leading 3-0... he says himself in an interview afterward that he didn't even see it go into the net to realize he scored because his back was to the goal... and yet we're already having the discussion over whether he'll get the Calder.

If he's having a great year, let's talk about the Calder in February or March, but at this point, it's one NHL goal that was ultimately meaningless for everyone except the Ryder family.

There are a lot of reasons to be optimistic about the habs' future, but lets not get ahead of ourselves....

Old
10-13-2003, 05:16 PM
BigM1ke

That reminds me of last year after the first 2 games of Hossa where he had scored in each of those game...

HOSSA FOR CALDER!! HOSSA FOR CALDER!!

We should wait 2 or 3 months and then talk about this

Old
10-13-2003, 05:18 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke
That reminds me of last year after the first 2 games of Hossa where he had scored in each of those game...

Even then..

A simple scoring slump can take him - or anyone - out of the race..

Old
10-13-2003, 05:32 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Ryder has a shot. And once Koivu comes back, they're likely to play togheter so...... He has a shot. No matter of his age.

Old
10-13-2003, 06:08 PM
Habruti!

Call me crazy but I believe that Ryder may bring the same type of fresh air that Erik brought the Carolina Hurricanes three years ago!

As far as rookies go it may be a bold prediction but I believe that Hainsey will turn quite a few heads this year and establish himself. I belive that by the end of the year Ryder and Hainsey are going to be two dominant players for the Habs.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:20 PM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Ryder has been anything but inconsistent through-out his junior career, and has steadily improved year-by-year... you can even say game-by-game.

I can't be considered joining the Ryder bandwagon because I've been praising him since I arrived on HfBoards, but I really believe he has a good shot at the Calder.

He has been underestimated his entire career, and with good reason... however his determination wasn't calculated. He has a drive, and he has some serious grit, which I think Claude Julien, his mentor for the past 5 years or so (who's prodigy is Michael Ryder) will see as a valuable asset to this team. And he is one hundred percent correct.

Julien will play Ryder and give him his ice time, and Ryder will quickly become a fan favourite (as he is already starting to become, and as he has been in all the past cities he has played in) and get more than third line ice-time.

Julien believes in Ryder and will play him with Koivu... and I for one think they will be a formidable pair. He may not win the Calder, but he will certainly give the winner a run for his money.

Oh, and another thing. Forget about putting him on trade rumours. Michael Ryder is here to stay.

Old
10-13-2003, 10:27 PM
evman150*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulis

I think Ryder has a shot at the calder, albeit not a very good one. I just don't see how he could push back guys like Pitkanen and Ruutu to win the award.

p.s. Don't use z instead of s. Yuck.

Old
10-13-2003, 11:11 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti!
I belive that by the end of the year Ryder and Hainsey are going to be two dominant players for the Habs.
If Hainsey remembers where his end of the rink is, then perhaps. Reminds me of Malakhov at times. Just ooooozes potential, and then a series of brain cramps.

He's young, I hope he dedicates himself to learning the defensive responsibilites.

Old
10-13-2003, 11:34 PM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig52Rivet
I'd like to see it because I'd like the Canadiens to finally have some good young prospects work out at the pro level, but it's the kind of mentality in this thread that makes a lot of us habs fans the joke of the rest of the HFBoards... a guy scores his first NHL goal in our second game of the season on a rebound that hits his stick the right way in a game where we were already leading 3-0... he says himself in an interview afterward that he didn't even see it go into the net to realize he scored because his back was to the goal... and yet we're already having the discussion over whether he'll get the Calder.
I'd argue that it isnt so much this kind of mentality that causes the Habs fans relatively poor reputation but instead the teams past success and the extremely large fan base.

It's a popular past time of many to insult fan of opposing teams.
The Habs are a bigger target then most as their a more visible target.

Sadly enough I suspect it matters little how most fans behave, the mere mere fact of your favourite team will be enough to firmly set many against you.

10-14-2003, 12:15 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke

Hell I remember some Ribeiro Calder talk the year Heatley and Kovalchuk were tearing up the league as rookies.

Old
10-14-2003, 06:32 AM
Orange

He's played 2 NHL games and people have him as first line material and winning trophies. I Luv the kid already, but let's have a realistic look at Ryder.

In my mind Ryder's upside is a very good third liner with an outside shot at being a good (but not excellent) 2nd line RW. In a perfect world, I consider Zednik to be a 2nd line RW, who here thinks Ryder as more upside than Zednik ? I sure as hell don't. And if you don't as well, why pin Ryder first line material (or even second line material) ?

Now if you consider that every rookie as a chance at the clader, then yes Ryder does have a chance to win it. But in the real world things are not so simple. At best, I think Ryder as a marginal chance at winning the calder. To tell you the truth, just making it to the ballot would be a MAJOR accomplishment and I'm not even expecting that much. Hainsey got a much better chance to make the ballot (but still very slim).

A lot of people are counting their chicken before they've hatched over here.

I don't see Ryder becoming more than what McPhee, Keane or Skrudland were for us in the past. A good role player that is gonna see 1st line duty given circumstances rather than pure talent. These guys didn't win the Calder ...

Old
10-14-2003, 09:35 AM
GilleZ

Its sure impressive for a guy to come in the league and put up 4 and 7 shoot on goal in 2 games. For now I dont see him going back on the 3rd or 4th line. And its upside is higher than a good 3rd line player. That many shoot on goals goes on the offensive lines.

As for the calder, have you seen Hainsey played? All the attention is on Ryder, but Haisey has been more that good paired with brisebois. My god what a difference from las year best duo Brisebois Traverse, hehe. Haisey is 2nd to Markov on the power play, so he'll gets his points, and a D with alot of points has more chance to win the calder than any foward. If we stick with him, how good will he be at the end of the year.

Go Haisey Go!!

Go Habs Go!!!

Old
10-14-2003, 11:37 AM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
A quick point to ponder.

Bob McKenzie on this board previously posted that Michael Ryder was his choice in a rookie pool.

Old
10-14-2003, 11:51 AM
DJyellow

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
anything is possible...

It's quite rare that the top calder trophy favorite wins it at the end of the year, but it is WAAAAAYY too soon to even consider him as a front-runner now.

he's not even rookie of the week in my opinion (M-A Fleury)

Closed Thread