HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Ryder, 1st line player wrinting all over him.

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2003, 11:47 AM
danboulie

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
What the hell is this guy doing?

I would really like to see Ryder make the lineup. I highly doubt it'll be on the 1st line, but anywhere on the Habs would be a good thing for him. I would welcome any big 2-way players to this lineup with open arms.
I think the puck control issue could be racked up to nerves.

Old
09-22-2003, 11:53 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec

Finally someone who know his hockey!!!
I'm curious, would you prefer Ryder didn't make it so that you could be right or he made it, did well, making you wrong, but the Habs a better team ? Which is more important ?

Old
09-22-2003, 01:05 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I'm curious, would you prefer Ryder didn't make it so that you could be right or he made it, did well, making you wrong, but the Habs a better team ? Which is more important ?
I think the answer to that is known by all. He systematically ignores everything good being said about Ryder but the one guy saying a bad thing is becoming "someone who knows his hockey" (even if Plekanec didn't even see Ryder play once since the camp started so who really knows his hockey here).

So yeah, he prefers being right. His "who's talented" list says Ryder's no good, so Ryder's no good. Don't expect him to change his mind now (it never happened to date) as it would compromise his close minded logic, unless Ryder scores 3 times a game and even then, he'll probably find something else to bring him down. You sure don't want to be on Plekanec's black list...

Old
09-22-2003, 01:14 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphotic
What the hell is this guy doing?
This guy is telling Plekanec in his very own way to shove it.

Old
09-22-2003, 01:38 PM
NWT Habs Fan

The point is that Ryder was selected 216th, was sent to the ECHL twice, yet he continues to bounce back and never say die. You have to admire that spirit and work ethic in a player, and he is hardly over the hill at 23. All in all, if he makes the team and gets regular time on the 3rd or 4th line, he will have accomplished his dream, the Habs will have filled a gap, and we fans will see a slightly bigger and more intense lineup. A win-win-win for all of us.

As for his technical abilities like being able to receive passes on the fly, that should come with time and good coaching. It's a lot harder to teach intensity and work ethic, which he seems to already possess.

Old
09-22-2003, 01:45 PM
mcphee

On the subject of player evaluation, did you hear Pierre Mcguire's daily radio spot today ? When Melnick asked him which center would step up in Koivu's absence and if this was Ribeiro's big chance, he said the Habs simply don't have anyone at center to assume Koivu's role. When asked about Ribeiro, he said that he was small, weak, not responsible defensively, easy to check, both with the body or stick, slow on the first 2 steps, and his shot release was slow. He said that he could be a number 2 center but it meant you had a bad team as Ribeiro might not be #7 in Ottawa. He said that the Boston players in the press box last week, commented that he would never be a star because he was just too easy to knock off the puck, and that the trailer on a play could always catch him. Other than that he seemed to like him. He did say that having Jarvis in Hamilton is very important to the Habs as they are in a stage where developing their young talent is crucial as the finally have some.

Maybe Mcguire was a little harsh, but time will tell, I hope he's wrong as we don't have a lot of opions. My guess is that Ribeiro will produce some points if he can get some pp time, but will be in tough 1 on 1 against most NHL centers.

Old
09-22-2003, 01:49 PM
Newfie Bruin

Send a message via MSN to Newfie Bruin
Ryder Rules!!!

I hope he has a great career in the NHL.....

Wait till his brother comes along....watch out!!! HAs back problems though!!

Old
09-22-2003, 02:46 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
On the subject of player evaluation, did you hear Pierre Mcguire's daily radio spot today ? When Melnick asked him which center would step up in Koivu's absence and if this was Ribeiro's big chance, he said the Habs simply don't have anyone at center to assume Koivu's role. When asked about Ribeiro, he said that he was small, weak, not responsible defensively, easy to check, both with the body or stick, slow on the first 2 steps, and his shot release was slow. He said that he could be a number 2 center but it meant you had a bad team as Ribeiro might not be #7 in Ottawa. He said that the Boston players in the press box last week, commented that he would never be a star because he was just too easy to knock off the puck, and that the trailer on a play could always catch him. Other than that he seemed to like him. He did say that having Jarvis in Hamilton is very important to the Habs as they are in a stage where developing their young talent is crucial as the finally have some.

Maybe Mcguire was a little harsh, but time will tell, I hope he's wrong as we don't have a lot of opions. My guess is that Ribeiro will produce some points if he can get some pp time, but will be in tough 1 on 1 against most NHL centers.
It was harsh indeed but not far from the truth. And it's true he could not be #6/#7 in Ottawa as they have loads of quality centers.

But Ribeiro did show some damn good stuff against the Bruins. I'm not insane and know it's just pre-season but if he can add a sense of urgency to his game and become relentless like Audette was when younger he could become decent. Otherwise, he won't crack our top-4 at center either.

Old
09-22-2003, 02:58 PM
FTK

Take a look back at the past 20 years. Guys like Brett Hull, Luc Robitaille, Theoren fleury ; they all had something missing...Hull and Robitaille's skating was a concern, Fleury's size. But these guys had so much desire to suceed. Look at Brett Hull..He doesn't have the speed, Size, skills to be a NHL superstar. He must have something the others don't, he's a future Hall of Famer afterall. Maybe superior hockey knowledge, like Wayne Gretzky. Or Maybe they are just winners.

Look at Ryder. Last year he was arguably the best player ( Garon not included ) on the hamilton bulldogs. He's got average size, skills, speed. There has to be something else....

Old
09-22-2003, 03:02 PM
mcphee

Quote:
It was harsh indeed but not far from the truth. And it's true he could not be #6/#7 in Ottawa as they have loads of quality centers.

But Ribeiro did show some damn good stuff against the Bruins. I'm not insane and know it's just pre-season but if he can add a sense of urgency to his game and become relentless like Audette was when younger he could become decent. Otherwise, he won't crack our top-4 at center either.
Mcguire imo opinion is too hung up on the technical part of the game and sometimes doesn't get the intangibles that make a player. Actually that's what FTK just said. Ribeiro can get his points this year, it's when this team contends that I think about, can he play on a good team ?

Old
09-22-2003, 03:18 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Ok guys, I didnt put a good title for my thread! 1st line player all over him.. ok I push it big time but I really see this guy being a 50-60pts producer in the NHL.. and believe it or not I'm not a homer when comes the time to evaluate players.. at least not until i see him.

I saw Ryder play he doesnt have anything special but a great combo of skills made for the NHL also i think this guy is way underated. I mean ok he took time to adjust to the AHL but when he was giving the chance he shine. I still see him improve over the next 2-3 years.. I can bet 10$ with anyone he will be in the NHL for the full year.

hehe dont get rude on me its just my opinion.

but I have a good vision for talent. trust me!

so does anyone wanna bet?

Old
09-22-2003, 03:20 PM
mcphee

i'm with you Crusher.

Old
09-22-2003, 03:22 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
All the luck in the world to you Ryder. Continue to work your ass off and play every game like your last. Mike is going to be a fan favourite, if he isn't already.

Old
09-22-2003, 03:31 PM
Joe Maximum

all those games you saw him in... I hope you're not referring to the calder cup finals, because during that series he was far from 100 %, playing with a broken rib I think

Old
09-22-2003, 03:41 PM
Mike8

Quote:
(Paragraph bashing Ribeiro)

Other than that he seemed to like him.
Classic.

Old
09-22-2003, 05:50 PM
Corey

From what I saw in the two preseason games against Boston and Ottawa (and I had excellent seats in Section 101, about 12 rows behind the Canadiens bench), Ryder played like an NHLer. He was one of the best Habs forwards in those games. He isn't an elegant skater, but he skates well enough, and he plays with passion. He deserves to be on the team, and I predict he will be.

Old
09-22-2003, 06:11 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
I'm refering to the 3-4 regular season games I saw plus some NHL playoffs ones!
Although your other post had already basically destroyed any credibility, I am glad you threw this one in there just to kill any doubt.
Three or four games....... utter insanity

Old
09-22-2003, 07:15 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
I'm refering to the 3-4 regular season games I saw plus some NHL playoffs ones!
Do yourself a favor will ya, go at the "cage aux sports" next time he plays in a pre-season game, order a load of chicken wings and look at him play. Come back here and tell us if you still think he doesn't have hockey sense or let alone enough skills to become a good NHLer.

Old
09-22-2003, 08:05 PM
Crusher20

Quote:
Do yourself a favor will ya, go at the "cage aux sports" next time he plays in a pre-season game, order a load of chicken wings and look at him play. Come back here and tell us if you still think he doesn't have hockey sense or let alone enough skills to become a good NHLer.
finnally someone step up!

I saw the games last year at hamilton and he did struggle but he was injured and still wanted to play, this year he is healthy and let me tell you he as been the best player in the training camp so far (montreal) maybe Ribeiro as been more flashy but to say more effective, no.

Ryder imo as already secure is spot.. unless the habs absolutly want to bring a 20 years old to the club.. (perezhogin? higgins?) both need to learn the pro game.. i like both prospect but i wont fool myself, they are not ready. Ryder is.

Old
09-22-2003, 09:22 PM
Nyclaus

Finally a real grinder and clutch player on our team (last one was Claude Lemieux).....go Ryder.

Expect him to play on 3rd line this year.

Old
10-14-2003, 06:15 PM
Crusher20

I said he was good!

kidding.

Ryder so far: 3-1-2-3 +3

Old
10-14-2003, 06:26 PM
NHLcrazy

WOW i went tot the game and let me tell you that Ryder was the best player out there......shoots, backchecks, goes for the net,plays physical....really a complete player. I would leave him on the second line for the simple reason that he seems to click with Audette and Perreault (who by the way played a really great game). Higgins also had a good game even if he played limited icetime.

Old
10-14-2003, 06:36 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Ryder seems like a very good overall hockey player....physical, can score, good playmaker, and very skilled for a rookie....this kid has impressed me a lot, I now can see why he made our team so convincingly....huge heart and very determined kid

Ryder for the Calder

Old
10-14-2003, 07:03 PM
Guy!

I'm not going to wade into the question of whether or not Ryder will or will not be a first line player; it's much too early in his NHL career to be predicting that kind of thing. However, one has to look at his development and appreciate how he's arrived at this point.

He was drafted ninth, as a player who had trouble skating, amongst many other things. The reason he was drafted? - his work ethic.

From there he went on to improve every year, consistently no less. Last year, he started out not playing in Hamilton; either on the bench or in the stands, as I recall. By then end of the year, he did what he does best and adapted and improved to the point where he was one of the best players on the team.

Now he's older, has a significant amount of experience behind him, and unlike many rookies, in fact most rookies, he knows...*really* knows what it takes to make it at the next level: Hard Work.

So now he's on the ice for the Habs and he's playing on a second line and he looks extremely strong both with and away from the puck. If he shows the kind of consistency he's given over the years, I believe we'll have the absolute steal of his draft year.

In fact, I have a question to pose: does he remind you of anyone?

Because he reminds me very much of another young player who had a great work ethic but had certain deficiancies that caused the club to send him packing in order to pick up another player. I'm going to name no names, but his effort, combined with his absolute passion for driving and attacking the net, really brings to mind someone else.

I'm making no direct comparisons, only pointing out some similarities (for those who guess the player to whom I'm referring). I find it intriguing and very satisfying to see his development, particularly as an offensive player.

The original hypothesis of this thread was seeing him as a first line player. I can tell you this: in all probablility, he will be one this year. Now, does that mean he's a legitimate one? Only time will tell, and that's why I'm not getting into it...

...for now.

A concerned fan.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:28 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
I'm not going to wade into the question of whether or not Ryder will or will not be a first line player; it's much too early in his NHL career to be predicting that kind of thing. However, one has to look at his development and appreciate how he's arrived at this point.

He was drafted ninth, as a player who had trouble skating, amongst many other things. The reason he was drafted? - his work ethic.

From there he went on to improve every year, consistently no less. Last year, he started out not playing in Hamilton; either on the bench or in the stands, as I recall. By then end of the year, he did what he does best and adapted and improved to the point where he was one of the best players on the team.

Now he's older, has a significant amount of experience behind him, and unlike many rookies, in fact most rookies, he knows...*really* knows what it takes to make it at the next level: Hard Work.

So now he's on the ice for the Habs and he's playing on a second line and he looks extremely strong both with and away from the puck. If he shows the kind of consistency he's given over the years, I believe we'll have the absolute steal of his draft year.

In fact, I have a question to pose: does he remind you of anyone?

Because he reminds me very much of another young player who had a great work ethic but had certain deficiancies that caused the club to send him packing in order to pick up another player. I'm going to name no names, but his effort, combined with his absolute passion for driving and attacking the net, really brings to mind someone else.

I'm making no direct comparisons, only pointing out some similarities (for those who guess the player to whom I'm referring). I find it intriguing and very satisfying to see his development, particularly as an offensive player.

The original hypothesis of this thread was seeing him as a first line player. I can tell you this: in all probablility, he will be one this year. Now, does that mean he's a legitimate one? Only time will tell, and that's why I'm not getting into it...

...for now.

A concerned fan.
John L. ?

J. LeClair?

Closed Thread