Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

2012-13 UEFA Champions League Round of 16

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
If Barca and Madrid go out it's probably the best thing that United could hope for.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:09 PM
Theon
Registered Hobbit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
If Barca and Madrid go out it's probably the best thing that United could hope for.
Are the next round of fixtures based on seeding or is it just a random draw?

Old
02-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDZ View Post
Random draw I believe. Anyone can get anyone from now on.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Mr Irreverent
Thiago who???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
At this point I'd be totally okay with that. I'd love to see a Bayern Munich v Manchester Utd final.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
Most of them, I just can't stand biased commentary. They are alright on neutral games, but put a British team in the game and I watch it on mute
Oh okay, I gotcha.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Edonator

I missed the days when Serie A was shown on the score. Used to be great.

Aside from Clasico's, I'd have no interest in watching La Liga tbh. Bundesliga would be nice though.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Cinderella team

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
There is also the US in North America, in case you werent aware, and before 2012-2013, we used to have la Liga on GolTV -they would have kept la Liga if it wasnt for the emergence of BeIN

well not Canada, but BeIN Sport in the US pushes La Liga, they would rather show some Levante vs. Celta Vigo match than most Serie A matchups
So, you say NA but mean US? Ok, gotcha. Goltv showed 75 La liga games, the majority being Real/Barca games with the odd Sevilla,Valencia, Ath madrid game. They did show many Seria A and Bundesliga games I don't have the exact numbers of either but I think they would be in the range 0f 70 games. Hell right now Goltv is supposedly showing 5 bundesliga games a week.

In Canada it's all EPL all the time. It's quite sad really.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:00 PM
les Habs

Well definitely a match to forget. The team looked fine in the first half. In the second half though they seemed a bit tired, too cautious and afraid to do something. First half they were moving the ball well enough and the tempo was better, but it's tough to penetrate when it's 10 behind the ball in the final third of the pitch. Second half wasn't quite as packed at times, but the team tried to pass the ball too much. Not enough urgency in that passing, not enough runs to the ball and off the ball and most of all not enough dribbling. The players don't need to make a 20 yard slaloming run, but there is a lot of room to take a few steps forward or in the case of some of the guys take on their man. Funny thing is the few times they did it they generally earned a foul. Iniesta for me was the most disappointing player too because he tried to make these cautious passes (and he wasn't the only one) when he could have tried dribbling a bit more. He also seemed oblivious to his teammates making a run at times because he somehow was committed to looking straight ahead and making the one pass. Also, while Iniesta has had a great season playing out wide as a false winger, his best for me has been when he's stayed out wide and taken on the defenders. The moving inside to a more central position doesn't work because Alba is abandoned and you've got too many chefs in the midfield with Xavi and Cesc already there. Either play him as a CM or keep him out wide if he's going to start there.

Full credit to Milan for the win, but it was nothing spectacular. They parked the bus more than I've seen any team do against us all season in the first half. Their goals, especially the first one, were rather cheap too. They had some standout individual efforts I thought though. Ambrosini being one and leading by example.

Not sure about the Zapata hand ball on the first goal. Might have been his head. What I would like to know though, and this is a legitimate question here, is if the ball is played to a player in an offside position, is it still offside if the ball touches an opposition player on the way? Anyway, ref was kinda **** and let some of the play go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edonator View Post
Still can't understand how anybody with a soul can cheer for Barca.
Hilarious coming from an Arsenal supporter. Of course considering the source I should probably take anything about Arsenal out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
Milan has a younger and hungry team.

Its refreshing to see after years of being the old farts.

If only Balotelli was playing.
And very physical team as well. IMO not too impressive, but I don't watch them regularly enough. Still that youth and hunger is evident and should pay dividends if it's not already from what it sounds like. I'd also add there seems to be a real chemistry there and a lot of the players seem to get along at a certain level, though some of them are already considered problem players and the rest, well I won't stereotype on the poor haircuts and who they associate with. (NOTE: A couple of Barça players have bad hair as well).

Quote:
Wow Niang just shrugged off Puyol like he was nothing. Great pass for Shaarawy to Muntari too.

Two Ex-Pompey players scored tonight
Puyol made a dumb challenge, was falling back and probably was pushed. I'm too lazy to go back and watch it, but the second time I saw it Niang's hand was on his chest. Less shrugging off and more poor attempt to win the ball.

Oh to have been around in the days where the World didn't revolve around the PL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
I don't watch a lot of Barca, but Cesc looks completely different and less effective nowadays. Is it him? Barca'a playstyle? Or the fact that he isn't the go-to guy?
I'd say it's three things. He's not the go-to-guy anymore. In fact there are at least three players ahead of him in that regard in Xavi, Iniesta and Messi. I said it all the time back in the day too. People would go on about how Cesc is better than Xavi and Iniesta and I would mention how he's the focal point at Arsenal while at Barça the duties are more shared. Anyway, second, he no longer plays in the acres of space of the PL. Third, Barça are even more possession play than Arsenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
because their playing system isn't exactly the most exciting? Nothing against them, it's obviously succesful, but when people tell me how beautiful of a game Barca play, I shake my head. Lots of lateral passing and if it is not working, they struggle to create anything at all because they know only one way. Again, that's not to blame them of course, but it is often pretty boring watching them because everyone playing them is parking the bus and that doesn't make for many exciting games. I'd rather have someone else play the CL final.
Well to each their own, but you clearly don't watch the team with much regularity. The team, despite last night's performance, creates a ton. In fact if they would finish more of their chances and in the past year and a half hit more net than woodwork they'd have even more goals than they already do. And while there is some lateral passing, you don't score goals on lateral passing alone and there's A LOT more to the game than that.

OK, so that's not to blame them, but you are. So which is it?

Barça have put in some amazing CL Final performances in recent years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
He's been better this year but I still think it was an emotional buy.
I don't think it was emotional. I think there were footballing reasons there. I just don't think it was necessary. Still the club has made far worse transfers, and I wouldn't say Cesc was a bad transfer, and that's just with Arsenal.

Quote:
Barcelona slow down the game too much. It's not one bit appealing.

Compare this game today to the Man UTD/Madrid game last week. Night and day.
Oh, OK. We're cherry-picking matches now. I'll take Barça's recent match over Getafe any day of the week over that Madrid match. Hilarious how the match against Milan is all Barça's fault.

Quote:
Manchester is not exciting to watch either
And neither is Madrid.

Quote:
You know, playing the best football doesn't mean your Games are the Most Fun to watch. It's the style that counts. And Most People say that barca Games being boring is due to other Teams parking the bus (which is a Case of barca being too good), but there's still an outcry among barca fans if someone suggests that their Football isnt the Most exciting (exciting, not best) Thing since sliced bread.
Yet the suggestion in this thread isn't that it isn't the most exciting thing since sliced bread. The suggestion initially was that one doesn't have a soul if they cheer for Barça. Now considering the source and the absolutely ridiculous nonsense I've read from that source recently, I can only guess where the comes form. That then changed to their style not being exciting as you basically surmised it as "lots of lateral passing" and then basically held them accountable because other teams park the bus while at the same time not blaming them.

Quote:
Serie a is underrated in North America because their sport networks push EPL and La Liga down our throats

But in Europe, Serie A and Bundesliga are not underrated one bit
That's not remotely true. And assuming Serie A is underrated, it's not by much. In fact it's starting to sound overrated if this thread is anything to go by.

Quote:
There is also the US in North America, in case you werent aware, and before 2012-2013, we used to have la Liga on GolTV -they would have kept la Liga if it wasnt for the emergence of BeIN
well not Canada, but BeIN Sport in the US pushes La Liga, they would rather show some Levante vs. Celta Vigo match than most Serie A matchups
The same GolTV that every time I watched Barça on they had in-match commercials for the Bundesliga, Bundesliga review shows and a host of other non-La Liga football programming? That's not to mention that just a year ago FSC had a TON of Serie A programming including a weekly highlight show.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:07 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
I missed the days when Serie A was shown on the score. Used to be great.

Aside from Clasico's, I'd have no interest in watching La Liga tbh. Bundesliga would be nice though.
Seriously! I bought RAI just for the matches, but it's only SD and it is terrible quality.

WRT to Milan's win, it's awesome, nobody expected it, including myself as a Milanista. That said, Messi was brutal this game and there's no way that continues into the second leg. I thoroughly expect us to get trounced at Nou, no way we got in there an hold them from getting at least two goals.

But for this week (just caught the game on my PVR), it's a proud week to be a Milan fan.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs View Post

Well to each their own, but you clearly don't watch the team with much regularity. The team, despite last night's performance, creates a ton. In fact if they would finish more of their chances and in the past year and a half hit more net than woodwork they'd have even more goals than they already do. And while there is some lateral passing, you don't score goals on lateral passing alone and there's A LOT more to the game than that.

OK, so that's not to blame them, but you are. So which is it?

Barça have put in some amazing CL Final performances in recent years.
I don't blame anyone, why would I have to? It's certainly not their fault teams park the bus. But teams always do that, so I don't wanna see their games, and thus I don't want to watch them in the latter stages of the CL. You can call that twisted logic, you can say it's not fair for Barca, but the bottom line for me is: Games without Barca are usually more entertaining for me, thus I want to see those. Doesn't mean I blame Barcelona.

Quote:
Yet the suggestion in this thread isn't that it isn't the most exciting thing since sliced bread. The suggestion initially was that one doesn't have a soul if they cheer for Barça. Now considering the source and the absolutely ridiculous nonsense I've read from that source recently, I can only guess where the comes form. That then changed to their style not being exciting as you basically surmised it as "lots of lateral passing" and then basically held them accountable because other teams park the bus while at the same time not blaming them.
Well, I first replied to a guy who said that anyone who loves football should root for Barca. I then explained why I don't think so, with my reasoning basically breaking down to: I don't watch football to see the best team win, but to entertained, which I feel I am more by games which do not feature Barcelona. I don't see how that's holding them accountable.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:14 PM
les Habs

Quote:
I don't blame anyone, why would I have to? It's certainly not their fault teams park the bus. But teams always do that, so I don't wanna see their games, and thus I don't want to watch them in the latter stages of the CL. You can call that twisted logic, you can say it's not fair for Barca, but the bottom line for me is: Games without Barca are usually more entertaining for me, thus I want to see those. Doesn't mean I blame Barcelona.

Well, I first replied to a guy who said that anyone who loves football should root for Barca. I then explained why I don't think so, with my reasoning basically breaking down to: I don't watch football to see the best team win, but to entertained, which I feel I am more by games which do not feature Barcelona. I don't see how that's holding them accountable.
You're holding them accountable for being in your opinion unexciting. In your misrepresentation of Barça as a whole you said:

"Lots of lateral passing and if it is not working, they struggle to create anything at all because they know only one way."

While you talked about other teams parking the bus, you're still saying they're not exciting. What should they do differently to be more exciting? You've also essentially generalized a Barça CL knockout match.

As for the guy you replied to, his post doesn't say anything about the best team winning. It also doesn't say anything about entertainment. For all we know he could have meant that one should appreciate the team's technical ability.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:26 PM
McSorleyStick
El Pistolero!

Les Habs

As a Madrid fan, I've always been the 1st to say that they are boring too

And MU is my favorite EPL team, and as you saw, I did say they were not fun to watch either

Last edited by McSorleyStick: 02-21-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old
02-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Cinderella team

So from what I gather from this thread no team is actually fun to watch? Hmm maybe football haters are right the sport is boring?

Old
02-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1888
Barca are fun to watch if only because they boast the best technical ability of any team of the world. Simple as that really. Wish Iniesta played in a team built around him.

Old
02-21-2013, 09:16 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 214
Quote:
completely open draw, teams from same country can play each other. The draw for the semifinals will be made as well, basically after this round it becomes a bracket tournament

Old
02-21-2013, 10:28 PM
SenorDingDong

Quote:

That's not remotely true. And assuming Serie A is underrated, it's not by much. In fact it's starting to sound overrated if this thread is anything to go by.
I think SerieA is vastly underrated right now. Juve could compete with any team in the world. They are one star striker away from becoming one of the top teams.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

for being "cheap goals" i thought both of Milan's goals were really pretty...and while they "parked the bus" Barca did nothing to figure out how to break them down...so i call that pretty solid football from a team with a struggling defense....

the 2nd leg should be very fun to watch with Barca having to go for it and Milan's youngsters on the break from it...

Old
02-21-2013, 11:54 PM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
I think SerieA is vastly underrated right now. Juve could compete with any team in the world. They are one star striker away from becoming one of the top teams.
Juve being competitive doesn't translate to all of Serie A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
for being "cheap goals" i thought both of Milan's goals were really pretty...and while they "parked the bus" Barca did nothing to figure out how to break them down...so i call that pretty solid football from a team with a struggling defense....

the 2nd leg should be very fun to watch with Barca having to go for it and Milan's youngsters on the break from it...
Wow.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:01 AM
McSorleyStick
El Pistolero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
for being "cheap goals" i thought both of Milan's goals were really pretty....
they were really nice

Old
02-22-2013, 12:02 AM
McSorleyStick
El Pistolero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
So from what I gather from this thread no team is actually fun to watch? Hmm maybe football haters are right the sport is boring?
haha no

Arsenal is pretty fun to watch

Old
02-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Evilo

vCash: 632
The second goal is certainly pretty. Not pretty defending, but pretty attacking !

Old
02-22-2013, 12:15 AM
cgf

Look it's not necessarily Barca's fault or something they should change, but I agree that Barca matches are often uninteresting, but the same has been true of Bayern this season, they are so dominant that teams just try to hold on leaving Barca/Bayern to patiently and slowly break don 8+ defenders at a time. That's impressive, but not necessarily as exiting as some other teams like ManU and Dortmund who bomb forward aggressively to try and catch teams before they can get the bus parked.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:49 AM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Look it's not necessarily Barca's fault or something they should change, but I agree that Barca matches are often uninteresting, but the same has been true of Bayern this season, they are so dominant that teams just try to hold on leaving Barca/Bayern to patiently and slowly break don 8+ defenders at a time. That's impressive, but not necessarily as exiting as some other teams like ManU and Dortmund who bomb forward aggressively to try and catch teams before they can get the bus parked.
Barça have been more direct at times this season. IMO they could do it more often too, but either way they've been more direct this year on occassion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
The second goal is certainly pretty. Not pretty defending, but pretty attacking !
Which is where I was coming from on that goal when I said it was "cheap." Probably a bit much on that goal, but it was nothing spectacular.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:03 AM
McSorleyStick
El Pistolero!

Old
02-22-2013, 01:29 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Cinderella team

Quote: