Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

2012-13 UEFA Europa League Rounds of 32 and 16

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 500
They weren't good enough and didnt have enough to beat them. Not the end of the world, but they're a mid table club now

Old
02-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
I was so depressed yesterday watching the highlights of the 2nd leg of Liverpool/RM at Anfield. Win 4-0 at home for a 5-0 aggregate win. That was FOUR years ago. Feels like ages ago in some respects. What went wrong. That XI: Reina, Aurelio, Skrtel, Carra, Arbeloa, Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard, Kuyt, Babel, Torres.
The most depressing thing about that is that those days are probably never coming back. I mean we made Real Madrid look like a pub team, beat Barcelona at Camp Nou, made Inter get out of the way at San Siro. Now we get turned over by pub teams. In the four years since it has all gone to pot. Building a team that worked as well as that one would cost 200m or be a team of nearly all academy products, which we will never be able to do. I can't see us ever being a team that people are scared to play in the CL again and that's a sad fact, hard to accept. But that is our lot and we will have to.

Hopefully we will pull back in the second leg at Anfield, we have to. It's reflective of our current position that nobody believes we will. 2-0 coming home seems insurmountable when coming back from 3-1 to Chelsea felt realistic.

The first Zenit goal was an unstoppable strike, but the second sent me straight over the edge. Enrique just let the ball get crossed in like he didn't even care. Nobody in the back four cared. Goalkeeper did and nearly stopped it, he played very well today and showed that he cared, but the men ahead of him didn't bother to clear the ball or defend the play at all. It was embarrassing.

Team has become far too complacent and seems to not care whether they win or lose. If they did care, they'd have left. They may not care and that is why Rodgers needs to make them leave immediately. Enrique, Skrtel, Agger at minimum have to leave the club. The latter two in particular are too comfortable at Liverpool.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:36 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
Newcastle draws 0:0 at home, dangerous score going back to Kharkiv
Dangerous for Kharkiv if the refs understand the offsides rule.

I doubt Newcastle plays as strong a lineup next week with Southampton visiting SJP just 3 days later.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Theon
Fear the Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Stunning strike. Bale really turned it on these past couple of months. His value should be through the roof now.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:56 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
The most depressing thing about that is that those days are probably never coming back. I mean we made Real Madrid look like a pub team, beat Barcelona at Camp Nou, made Inter get out of the way at San Siro. Now we get turned over by pub teams. In the four years since it has all gone to pot. Building a team that worked as well as that one would cost 200m or be a team of nearly all academy products, which we will never be able to do. I can't see us ever being a team that people are scared to play in the CL again and that's a sad fact, hard to accept. But that is our lot and we will have to.

Hopefully we will pull back in the second leg at Anfield, we have to. It's reflective of our current position that nobody believes we will. 2-0 coming home seems insurmountable when coming back from 3-1 to Chelsea felt realistic.

The first Zenit goal was an unstoppable strike, but the second sent me straight over the edge. Enrique just let the ball get crossed in like he didn't even care. Nobody in the back four cared. Goalkeeper did and nearly stopped it, he played very well today and showed that he cared, but the men ahead of him didn't bother to clear the ball or defend the play at all. It was embarrassing.

Team has become far too complacent and seems to not care whether they win or lose. If they did care, they'd have left. They may not care and that is why Rodgers needs to make them leave immediately. Enrique, Skrtel, Agger at minimum have to leave the club. The latter two in particular are too comfortable at Liverpool.
Now, I'm really depressed. We sure did. Could have won by more very easily. We could truly go toe to toe with anyone in Europe. I get angry when I read about Chelsea fans on these boards saying they are going to abandon their season if this or that happens. Get real. Nauseating. You won Europe LAST year and have won how many trophies in the past ten years? Liverpool has obviously had humble successes by its lofty standards but better than many clubs in the country/continent so maybe I should bite my tongue but I will never leave this club and find that kind of whining ridiculous.

I definitely have wavered on whether I prioritize Europa but this 2nd leg at Anfield is big for me. Prospective transfer targets seem to take some interest in European football in any form and trophies are certainly nothing to sneeze at. However, in this case, it's more than that. Where is this team's spine? This team has not handled adversity well at all this year. Where's the belief? The win at Upton Park is maybe the only example of coming from behind and showing some moxie. Last few months better be a trial period for the whole squad.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:56 AM
Evilo

Great great goal from Umtiti (for some reasons, I only see Bale highlights here ).
Lyon deserved a penalty early on, which would have changed the game.

Still 1-2 is not that bad, they can go through at home.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:44 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Holy Ronaldoesque on bale

Holy highlights

Old
02-15-2013, 04:36 AM
Stray Wasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
Newcastle draws 0:0 at home, dangerous score going back to Kharkiv
I don't know anything about Kharkiv, so whether their profligacy in the final third last night was habitual or a one off beats me. They looked like a team to respect, but not to be frightened by. I don't know a word of Ukranian, so I can't say whether the songs they were singing were offensive, witty, cliched or original, but their fans certainly made entertaining noises.

Newcastle created plenty of chances too. Trouble is, they may field an entirely different team in Ukraine.

In other words, its hard to know what to expect for the second leg.

Yanga-Mbiwa had an uncertain first ten minutes or so, but thereafter looked a class act at right back. Sissoko was splendid again. I can forgive Papiss Cisse for having lost his goal touch but I'd flog him to within an inch of his life for the number of times he stymied attacks by drifting offside. Gutierrez caused Metallist (which is a great name), an implausible amount of trouble.

Meanwhile, another fool invaded the pitch, which means another fine for NUFC. Money that could be spent on something useful like the academy being diverted to pay penalties accrued by worthless, self-important little turds. And people wonder why this club hasn't won anything since 1969.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Evilo

Kharkov can be very dangerous offensively.
Good for Newcastle to prevent an away goal.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:

It's more of what I'm saying.

The sad part is they had a chance or two to improve their fortunes with better purchases. there's still no real clue who exactly is picking players. Who's doing most of the scouting?

They also had a shot to go with a few other buyers. I'm not saying FSG are bad, it's just a matter of who has ambition. I don't think they have it.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:45 PM
HajdukSplit

Metalist Kharkiv usually do well in this tournament but they sold their best player in the winter to Shakhtar (Taison). If Newcastle struggle to get results in the league I can see them sending a reserve side to Ukraine and then they have little shot at winning in Ukraine

Old
02-15-2013, 02:28 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
It's more of what I'm saying.

The sad part is they had a chance or two to improve their fortunes with better purchases. there's still no real clue who exactly is picking players. Who's doing most of the scouting?

They also had a shot to go with a few other buyers. I'm not saying FSG are bad, it's just a matter of who has ambition. I don't think they have it.
Was it this bleak during mid/late 1990s? It obviously took years but the club climbed back into CL and title contention after years. I am looking for silver lining here.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:58 PM
villevalo

Quote:
Was it this bleak during mid/late 1990s? It obviously took years but the club climbed back into CL and title contention after years. I am looking for silver lining here.
Bleak...seriously.

Is the Liverpool situation at the moment, really being described as bleak?

And in answer to your question, from what I remember Liverpool in the mid 90's were fine, finished 3rd a couple times IIRC, and won the league cup at some point as well, Souness and Evans weren't particularly great managers but what Liverpool have had recently have been much better since then.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Great great goal from Umtiti (for some reasons, I only see Bale highlights here ).
Lyon deserved a penalty early on, which would have changed the game.

Still 1-2 is not that bad, they can go through at home.
Better than Bale's, you get maybe one or two of these type of strikes in a year.

Not a single goalkeeper ever could have stopped that.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:11 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
Bleak...seriously.

Is the Liverpool situation at the moment, really being described as bleak?

And in answer to your question, from what I remember Liverpool in the mid 90's were fine, finished 3rd a couple times IIRC, and won the league cup at some point as well, Souness and Evans weren't particularly great managers but what Liverpool have had recently have been much better since then.
It's all relative. I am referring to CL football. However, a club of Liverpool's stature should be in CL mix and more than that, league contention every year. Talks of mid-table is bleak for Liverpool, no?

Old
02-15-2013, 03:16 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Better than Bale's, you get maybe one or two of these type of strikes in a year.

Not a single goalkeeper ever could have stopped that.
Beautiful strike. Labeled.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Not counting the Heysel suspension years, Liverpool have missed out on three seasons of European football since 1964. And we're going on four. By the club's standards, yes it is bleak. I imagine that the older supporters are none too pleased, but if nothing else they have the memories to hold onto.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:46 AM
villevalo

But realistically your only two wins away from a Euro spot, if you assume one of United, City, Chelsea, or Arsenal win the FA cup, if you can beat Swansea on Sunday then your only a win away from 6th place.

If the general plan for Liverpool is this idea of under Rodgers that the club must deconstruct throughout to allow for re-building for the future both on the pitch and off, yadda yadda yadda etc. The surely for the above to happen, you will finish off the pack somewhat no? It's seems rather cake eat it moment when you (Liverpool fans in general) are peddling this idea of radical change now for the sake of a brighter future but we want Euro football right now.

I don't think it works that way, it seems it's one or the other no? If you do buy into the big idea.

But like I said your really not too far off the Euro spaces, and if one of those teams in the Champions League spaces wins the FA cup and Swansea wins the League cup then 5th and 6th will be Europa Cup spots, that's a goal that Liverpool can achieve this season. And with that in mind, I'd say the situation is far from bleak.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:39 AM
Stray Wasp

Quote:
In the mid 90s, Liverpool had a young team. Unlikely as it might seem now, there was open debate as to whether they or Manchester United possessed the best batch of prospects.

David James was youngish for a keeper, Phil Babb was quite young as centre backs went and there was Rob Jones, Steve Harkness, Jason McAteer, Redknapp, McManaman, Collymore and Fowler. (Rob Jones played Giggs as well as anyone I can remember, he was an excellent, old school full back sadly prone to injury).

By the time it became apparent that some of the above weren't quite as good as had been expected, Owen, Carragher (who, at first, tended to play defensive midfield) and Gerrard emerged. Danny Murphy arrived from Crewe as well, with big expectations. The mood music was therefore very positive, even if the results weren't great. After all, sugar daddies were a rare breed then, so the financial gap between clubs was smaller. 30,000 per week salaries were few on the ground, as were 5 million transfer fees.

Liverpool is a great football city and the potential for success will always be there. The biggest threat to the club is a lack of long-term strategy.

In hindsight, bad as Roy Hodgson was at Anfield, Liverpool would probably have been better off letting him bumble through the 2010/11 season and replacing him with a young high-flyer in the summer of 2011. Instead, Kenny Dalglish brought a short-term boost and several long-term albatrosses. (I'll confess, I overrated Andy Carroll too and Downing was a consequence of signing Carroll. But there was a trace of logic about those mistakes. Paying a king's ransom for Jordan Henderson with the express intention of playing him in the wrong place was insane.)

It appears that the new owners hoped that by spending big in 2011, they'd catapult the team into the top four. In the event Dalglish failing, Plan B was to cross their fingers and hold for the best. Even allowing for Chelsea and City's successes, these kind of all-or-nothing splurges fail more often than they succeed.

When Benitez left, as an outsider it felt as if whoever came next was up against it. I think right now, anyone would find Liverpool tough to manage. Which manager can build a good team without a reliable core?

Liverpool are now a team in search of a core. A fading Gerrard, Lucas not back up to speed following injury, Henderson struggling under the pressure of his price tag, Downing ill-suited to the team's way of playing. Agger, Johnson and Enrique are all useful enough on the ball to abet Rodgers' possession style but defensively prone to meltdown. Reina's head seems gone. Carroll is not yet sold.

Rodgers took a big risk spending so much on Joe Allen and playing half a season with one striker. That decision was always going to define his first season. He hasn't done a great job, but he's gradually shaping the team to play his way. Maybe, like Roy Evans in the 90s, he can be a steady hand on the tiller who allows the club to shake off some of the melodrama that's weighed it down in recent years.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:43 AM
Stray Wasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
Metalist Kharkiv usually do well in this tournament but they sold their best player in the winter to Shakhtar (Taison). If Newcastle struggle to get results in the league I can see them sending a reserve side to Ukraine and then they have little shot at winning in Ukraine
Newcastle's reserves may have a goal in them, though, which could be enough.

That said, I can imagine Newcastle providing a repeat of Marseille 2004 and Alkmaar 2007: passive defensiveness that leads to fatal mistakes.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:55 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...ic-attack-lyon

French police, Tottenham Hotspur officials and stewards were on the lookout for potential violence against UK fans in Lyon on Thursday, after three supporters were injured in what appeared to be an antisemitic attack on an English pub in the city.

The north London club said that three fans had suffered "minor injuries" in the incident on Wednesday night, when up to 50 masked thugs attacked the Smoking Dog pub, which was packed with Spurs supporters on the eve of their team's second leg Europa League tie with Olympique Lyonnais.

02-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Evilo

Weird, Lyon fans are not known for their violence...

Old
02-21-2013, 10:02 AM
LOFIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Weird, Lyon fans are not known for their violence...
From what I've heard the attackers were seen doing nazi salutes so maybe they were just the local skinheads attacking Spurs.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Evilo

Usually, Lyon fans are micked for being tame...

Old
02-21-2013, 11:18 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

It still amazes me how mob mentality still pervades in the 21st century.

Closed Thread