HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Bruins Vs. Blues Depth (In-Depth Comparison)

View Poll Results: Pick one team for each category
Boston F1 75 54.74%
St. Louis F1 61 44.53%
Boston F2 103 75.18%
St. Louis F2 32 23.36%
Boston F3 24 17.52%
St. Louis F3 112 81.75%
Boston F4 82 59.85%
St. Louis F4 50 36.50%
Boston D1 104 75.91%
St. Louis D1 31 22.63%
Boston D2 30 21.90%
St. Louis D2 104 75.91%
Boston D3 49 35.77%
St. Louis D3 83 60.58%
Boston G1 50 36.50%
St. Louis G1 83 60.58%
Boston G2 8 5.84%
St. Louis G2 126 91.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Trap Jesus

vCash: 500
Bruins Vs. Blues Depth (In-Depth Comparison)

Two similar teams that are known for their depth. Just wanted to see how they stack up all throughout their line-up for this season only. Assuming I'm able to actually pull a poll off like this, select one team for each forward line, one team for each D-pairing, and one team for each goalie.

These rosters are supposed to be both teams at full-strength, with the only exceptions being players that are expected to miss the entire season. If I made any mistakes with the line-ups, let me know.

Boston Bruins Depth Chart

F1: Lucic-Krejci-Horton
F2: Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
F3: Bourque-Kelly-Peverley
F4: Paille-Campbell-Thornton

D1: Chara-Boychuk
D2: Seidenberg-Hamilton
D3: Ference-McQuaid

G1: Rask
G2: Khudobin

St. Louis Blues Depth Chart

F1: Perron-Backes-Oshie
F2: McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko
F3: Schwartz-Berglund-Stewart
F4: Sobotka-Nichol-Reaves

D1: Cole-Pietrangelo
D2: Jackman-Shattenkirk
D3: Russell-Polak

G1: Halak
G2: Elliot

Trap Jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Trap Jesus

My opinion:

The first line is close, but I give the edge to the Blues. Horton looks like the only one of the 6 that is a step below the rest with his injury concerns and having to get back to full-strength. Backes is the best out of the bunch as well.

Second line is decidedly the Bruins. Bergeron is a step above Steen as that two-way center, Seguin gives you more pedigree and potential for this year as an offensive force over Tarasenko, and, while McDonald may be better than Marchand for this season, Marchand brings a unique element to that line that can't be ignored.

Third line is close but the edge goes to the Blues. I like Schwartz' potential over Bourque this year, and that might be the deciding factor for the line as a whole. Kelly and Peverley are safer bets than Berglund or Stewart, but I think Berglund and Stewart bring more potential. With those two factors more or less evening out, I give the edge to St. Louis because of Schwartz' potential.

Bruins 4th line. To be honest, I'm not that familiar with Nichol or Reaves, but I find it tough to imagine a 4th line being better than the Bruins in the NHL. I know that Sobotka is a fantastic player from his time with the Bruins, but the Bruins 4th line just clicks so well that it's tough to go against them.

Bruins 1st D. Pietrangelo is absolutely amazing, and I personally consider him the next best d-man after Chara for this season. With the edge going to Chara, I also like Boychuk a lot mroe than Cole, who looks promising, but doesn't have the pedigree yet.

Blues 2nd d-pairing. I think Seidenberg is the best one there, but Jackman and Shattenkirk have to be considered way ahead of Hamilton for this season, and are both great defensemen in their own right.

Blues 3rd D-pairing. They may have one of the best 3rd pairings in the league, especially with a presence like Polak back there. Ference is a great guy to have on your bottom pairing and can fill in in a top-4 role, but McQuaid, while OK, is nothing special to have on your team in any capacity.

Rask over Halak. I think Rask has the potential to be one of the best goalies this year, and has already done that in a previous year. Halak is great as well, but I like Rask's potential for this season.

Elliot over Khudobin. No-brainer.

Trap Jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:01 AM
ExJbeck

vCash: 50
Bruins F1
Bruins F2
Blues F3
Blues F4
Bruins D1 (only because of Cole)
Blues D2
Blues D3
Blues G 1&2.

This poll fails to mention depth beyond the starting lines, that in which the Blues win by a country mile.

Boston has better high end talent now but at the end of season i could see the Blues being the choice.

If i had to pick a team for this year (even though I truly believe the the Blues have an excellent shot at along playoff run) I would take the Bruins. But for the future im taking the Blues.

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:59 AM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
My opinion:

The first line is close, but I give the edge to the Blues. Horton looks like the only one of the 6 that is a step below the rest with his injury concerns and having to get back to full-strength. Backes is the best out of the bunch as well.

Second line is decidedly the Bruins. Bergeron is a step above Steen as that two-way center, Seguin gives you more pedigree and potential for this year as an offensive force over Tarasenko, and, while McDonald may be better than Marchand for this season, Marchand brings a unique element to that line that can't be ignored.

Third line is close but the edge goes to the Blues. I like Schwartz' potential over Bourque this year, and that might be the deciding factor for the line as a whole. Kelly and Peverley are safer bets than Berglund or Stewart, but I think Berglund and Stewart bring more potential. With those two factors more or less evening out, I give the edge to St. Louis because of Schwartz' potential.

Bruins 4th line. To be honest, I'm not that familiar with Nichol or Reaves, but I find it tough to imagine a 4th line being better than the Bruins in the NHL. I know that Sobotka is a fantastic player from his time with the Bruins, but the Bruins 4th line just clicks so well that it's tough to go against them.

Bruins 1st D. Pietrangelo is absolutely amazing, and I personally consider him the next best d-man after Chara for this season. With the edge going to Chara, I also like Boychuk a lot mroe than Cole, who looks promising, but doesn't have the pedigree yet.

Blues 2nd d-pairing. I think Seidenberg is the best one there, but Jackman and Shattenkirk have to be considered way ahead of Hamilton for this season, and are both great defensemen in their own right.

Blues 3rd D-pairing. They may have one of the best 3rd pairings in the league, especially with a presence like Polak back there. Ference is a great guy to have on your bottom pairing and can fill in in a top-4 role, but McQuaid, while OK, is nothing special to have on your team in any capacity.

Rask over Halak. I think Rask has the potential to be one of the best goalies this year, and has already done that in a previous year. Halak is great as well, but I like Rask's potential for this season.

Elliot over Khudobin. No-brainer.
I agreed with pretty much everything you said except for Rask over Halak. I don't understand why he continually gets underrated around here. Halak WAS one of the best goalies last year and I don't think much is going to change this year. He already has 1 shutout (albeit very easy) but I don't think there is any way Rask is better than Halak right now or for the next few years. I find it funny that goalies that haven't really been starters (Rask for only 1 year) yet can be better than a goalie who posted a sub 2.00 GAA last year, won the Jennings trophy and helped his team finish with 109 points. A goalie that has a proven playoff record (2010 where he beat 2 of the best offensive teams in the past decade) and played extremely well in the Olympics.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 07:42 AM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
Blues F1
Bruins F2
Blues F3
Blues F4
Bruins D1 (only because of Cole)
Bruins D2
Blues D3
Blues G 1&2

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:51 AM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
I agreed with pretty much everything you said except for Rask over Halak. I don't understand why he continually gets underrated around here. Halak WAS one of the best goalies last year and I don't think much is going to change this year. He already has 1 shutout (albeit very easy) but I don't think there is any way Rask is better than Halak right now or for the next few years. I find it funny that goalies that haven't really been starters (Rask for only 1 year) yet can be better than a goalie who posted a sub 2.00 GAA last year, won the Jennings trophy and helped his team finish with 109 points. A goalie that has a proven playoff record (2010 where he beat 2 of the best offensive teams in the past decade) and played extremely well in the Olympics.
How about "because Rask is better at stopping pucks"?

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 09:33 AM
drmagg

St. Louis F1
Boston F2
St. Louis F3
St. Louis F4
Boston D1
Boston D2
St. Louis D3
St. Louis G1
Boston G2

That makes depth of Blues (5) > depth of Bruins (4)

drmagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:57 AM
BackesInBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Not sure if serious.

Last year:

GAA 2.05/1.97 SV % .929/.926 SO 3/6

Which stats are 'better'?

BackesInBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Toydarian

I like this poll concept/idea.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:02 AM
tony d
The franchise

Boston F 1, F 2, F 4, D 1, D 3
St.Louis F 3, D 2, G 1, G 2

01-21-2013, 01:09 PM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
Blues F1
Bruins F2
Blues F3
Blues F4
Bruins D1
Blues D2
Blues D3
Blues G1
Blues G2

The fourth lines were the hardest to choose between.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Boston everywhere except F3 and F4

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Blues F1, F3, D2, D3, G1, G2

Bruins F2, D1

I don't know enough about Bruins' F4 to vote on it.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:31 PM
RapidFire

F1 STL
F2 BOS
F3 STL
F4 BOS

D1 BOS
D2 STL
D3 STL

G1 STL (close unless Halak kills it again)
G2 STL

RapidFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:41 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Expected Regression

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackesInBlue View Post
Not sure if serious.

Last year:

GAA 2.05/1.97 SV % .929/.926 SO 3/6

Which stats are 'better'?
that must mean brian elliot is the best player in the world!!!!!

skip2mybordeleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Wiems35*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
that must mean brian elliot is the best player in the world!!!!!
He was one of the best goalies last year, but you already knew that.

Wiems35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:05 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
Maybe, but thats just not true at all.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Boston
F- 1,2 and 4
D- 1
G-1

St. Louis
F- 3
D- 2, 3
G- 2

I am pretty much all with majority except I have Rask over Halak

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Boston.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:43 PM
LetsGoBLUES91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Boston everywhere except F3 and F4
Quote:
These are two of the dumbest things I have ever heard in my life.

Anyways, good poll. They are two very close teams. The only poll result I'm shocked by is Boston running away with F4. If anything it's very close but I'd give the Blues the edge.

The toughest call for me is D2. If Hamilton is as good as advertised thats definitely an edge to Boston.

LetsGoBLUES91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Rp477

I have to give props to the OP. I don't remeber seeing this type of poll before, but well done.

Rp477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:19 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

How is S. Thornton on faceoffs?

bluemandan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:26 AM
Regal

I know the Bergeron line is generally considered the second line on the Bruins, but it's also the best. That makes for a weird comparison here, because I would take the Backes line over the Krejci line, and the Bergeron line over the Steen line, but I would also take the Bergeron line over the Backes line and the Krejci line over the Steen line. So, simply changing the order or lines changes a 1-1 tie to a 2-0 Bruins lead.

I won't vote anyway, because there's too many players who I'm just not sure how they're going to do this season. How guys like Hamilton, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Stewart and Seguin do this year could change things quite a bit.

Regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:23 AM
b in vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
I know the Bergeron line is generally considered the second line on the Bruins, but it's also the best. That makes for a weird comparison here, because I would take the Backes line over the Krejci line, and the Bergeron line over the Steen line, but I would also take the Bergeron line over the Backes line and the Krejci line over the Steen line. So, simply changing the order or lines changes a 1-1 tie to a 2-0 Bruins lead.

I won't vote anyway, because there's too many players who I'm just not sure how they're going to do this season. How guys like Hamilton, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Stewart and Seguin do this year could change things quite a bit.
I was just coming in to say this. If you switched the Bergeron and Krejci lines up then I'd give Boston the 1st and 2nd lines.

b in vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
How is S. Thornton on faceoffs?
Gregory Campbel he is for sure above average to good.

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote