HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Help with determining LW and RW position

Old
12-16-2012, 08:56 AM
pnep

vCash: 500
2011-12 FW Depth (www.forecaster.ca)

2011-12 Depth (The Hockey News)

pnep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:21 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Jeff Skinner should probably be included in the LW section. He's still officially listed at C, but hasn't played there since junior.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFS View Post
I guess you're right. That would make things much simpler. Then I would have to figure out whether some hybrid players are centers or wingers like Marleau. He played center for long time, but lately he has been playing wing on Thornton's line.
Both Marleau and Pavelski are natural centers, but played on Thornton's wing last year. So I guess it depends on whether you mean their natural position, or what they played as last year.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 10:41 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Only for one season.

Is this a comparison for a career or just last season? If for a career, Hudler has been LW/RW and Filppula C/LW, most at center, but that LW is also ok. Filppula has been LW a lot at the playoffs, when games are tight and Babcock starts to use 3 lines.

Bertuzzi and Franzen also have been LWs during their career, at last season they played on the same line, and then Bertuzzi was on the left. I should put LW/RW for both.

At latest Red Wings Stanley Cup final runs 2008 and 2009 Franzen was a left winger. And I think at next season he will swap from right to left again (because Gustav Nyquist and Damien Brunner are right wings).

But thank god I didn't see either Datsyuk or Zetterberg at winger position anymore. Both are natural centers. They just have had some years other guy at wing before (Zetterberg more).
Nyquist is a natural center, and is "slotted" by most to take over either Bertuzzi's or Filppula's spot (depending on whether Filppula moves up).

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:53 PM
ESH

Ilya Kovalchuk and James Neal both played mainly RW last season, but I would still consider them LWers. I would consider Burrows a RW, cause he mainly plays on the Sedins' line. I also think Higgins spent alot of time at RW the past couple seasons, I'm not sure though. I would still consider him a LW. I'm pretty sure Cole is mainly a RW too. Eriksson, Lupul, and Heatley also play at RW too, but didn't last season. Sharp, Jokinen, and Ennis also play C.

I would also consider Ryan, Franzen, Brown, Grabner all LW.

ESH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:14 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Marleau has been a LW since the emergence of Logan Couture. Joe Pavelski has been a RW since the departure of Setoguchi and both play with Thornton.

However, both started their careers as centers and I generally consider them as such.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:42 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
It's tough to move Elias back to wing when he's one of the best 2-way center in the league. Elias means Zajac's defence combined with Kovalchuk-lite's offense.
Other than being abysmal at faceoffs, he killed it at center last season, definitely. But he had most of his dominant years at LW.

I think it depends where you project Henrique's future in the Devils line up.
If you feel that he's better suited to develop as a center, then I think you need to keep Elias at wing.

If you think Henrique will excel better at wing, then Elias should stay at center.

As for me, right now, even though Elias put up serious points as a center last season... I still consider him a LWer.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote