HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > IIHF World Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
IIHF World Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A. (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2012, 11:44 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I think the cuts come down to Barber/Vesey, Seiloff/Skjei, and Gryzcelyk/Reilly.

If I were guessing I'd guess Barber, Skjei, Reilly get cut.

Does anyone know if Miller or Grimaldi was playing Center at camp?
I am not sure why Barber keeps getting mentioned to be honest..

I think it would be a mistake to bring along Vessey, Bardeau, and Pietila...as all three are grinders with limited offensive ability... we need someone with a bit more skill as with the loss of Noesen, a kid like Barber might really be leaned on playing alongside Galchenyuk...

I think it is one of the 3 grinders to be honest...I cant see Barber getting dumped with the year he is having

Old
12-21-2012, 11:44 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post

Brian Lashoff - Pat Sieloff ...both are meat and potato players. Nothing flashy but earn respect from teammates and fight for everything they get. You need a warrior like these guys on your team.

David Warsofsky - Matt Grzelcyk - similar type players..smaller, shifty, smart, and mobile dmen who can play both sides of the ice. its all about transition with these types of players and you need them to help your team gain zones and control momentum with their skating.

Matt Donovan- Connor Murphy - Donovans role in 2010 was and still is completely underrated. this kid was everywhere on the ice. he played excellent defense, but was imo our most potent point man out there. it was his coming out party. I think Connor Murphy will fill this role just as well if not better. My expectations for Murphy are through the roof as he can play both sides of the puck with as much skill as Donovan did..and he makes our top 3 that much better overall.

Jake Gardiner - Jake McCabe - I think they can play similar roles. Gardiner was unhearleded in his role in 2010. He played solid defense as well as awesome skating and transition play. I expect McCabe to do the same as well and be that player that just does the little things right.

John Ramage -Shayne Gostisbehere - like Ramage I see Gostisbehere being our glue guy. He is going to play in all facets of the game and do everything well above average like Ramage did. Both fairly unknown for their respective tournaments, but like Ramage did after his WJC, I think Shayne puts his name on the map. I expect Shayne to man the point on our power play unit, but I also can see him on our pk as well..this team needs Shayne to play like Ramage did in 2010 to help calm those storms.

John Carlson- Seth Jones. He is our big money player on the blueline, and seems to be a vocal leader as well. This kid has a ton to prove, but also he has a ton to show off as well. I think both of these kids will have similar impacts to their respective teams. Both at this age where just untapped physical specimen, and I think Jones actually might have a higher ceiling overall which is pretty darn scary.

Cam Fowler- Jacob Trouba - different in style, but not in importance. Fowler was just awesome on the ice in 2010. he shadowed Hall around and gave him no room to work. he played awesome in his own end and contributed offensively as well. This is the exact 1B role that I expect Trouba to play alongside Jones (1A). Likely the best 1-2 punch we have put out there in a long time. Obviously Trouba will be more physical then Fowler was, but in terms of icetime and playing against the oppositions best, I think Fowler and Trouba will play pretty similar roles.
Obviously it's difficult to compare the defense player by player, but your first 4 comparisons are pretty spot on.

Fowler was definitely our #1 guy that tournament though, I thought Carlson was very underwhelming the entire time.

Edit: My bad, you were talking value to the team. I would agree then.

Old
12-21-2012, 12:06 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:

I think it would be a mistake to bring along Vessey, Bardeau, and Pietila...as all three are grinders with limited offensive ability... we need someone with a bit more skill as with the loss of Noesen, a kid like Barber might really be leaned on playing alongside Galchenyuk...

I think it is one of the 3 grinders to be honest...I cant see Barber getting dumped with the year he is having
I think the fact that they shifted Mario Lucia to right wing means he's Barber's main competition for a regular spot. If he loses that it could come down to a matter of the extra forward battle which would probably be with Vesey or perhaps Matteau. I think Pietila and Bardreau are safe in their role on the fourth line.

Old
12-21-2012, 12:14 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:

I think Pietila and Bardreau are too good at their role of 4th line and PK to get cut. Bardreau especially.

Barber I mentioned just because he had a real quiet game yesterday and Lucia could fill the top-6 role. My gut was leaning Vesey. Matteau I think could also potentially be in this group.

Last edited by HatTrick Swayze: 12-21-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old
12-21-2012, 01:13 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

vCash: 50
Just thought I would drop by to say hello.

I am Canadian and cheering for Canada but am in a WJC draft over on the Jets board and picked up Gaudrea in the 3rd round, then Grimaldi in the 5th, and Trocheck in the 6th. Throw in the fact that the Jets #1 draft choice last year was Jacob Trouba (MUCH to my delight) and I will be watching all the US games closely. Have they named the captain yet?

good luck and may your team pour in goals at a record pace

Old
12-21-2012, 02:24 PM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Just thought I would drop by to say hello.

I am Canadian and cheering for Canada but am in a WJC draft over on the Jets board and picked up Gaudrea in the 3rd round, then Grimaldi in the 5th, and Trocheck in the 6th. Throw in the fact that the Jets #1 draft choice last year was Jacob Trouba (MUCH to my delight) and I will be watching all the US games closely. Have they named the captain yet?

good luck and may your team pour in goals at a record pace
they have not yet named a captain to my knowledge. i bet they will name captains shortly after the last cuts which are expceted the 22nd i believe

Old
12-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo

I'm just wondering what differentiates Biggs and Matteau in terms of likelihood to make the team? Is there a marked difference in their skating (big theme for this year's squad)? I know that was a bit of a knock on Matteau, though he's never struck me as a SLOW skater per se.

Old
12-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
I'm just wondering what differentiates Biggs and Matteau in terms of likelihood to make the team? Is there a marked difference in their skating (big theme for this year's squad)? I know that was a bit of a knock on Matteau, though he's never struck me as a SLOW skater per se.
I think they're both locks for the team.

Old
12-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Lessy

Is USA dressing the big guns for tomorrow? Jones, Trouba, Gibson, etc.

Old
12-21-2012, 04:58 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
I think they should, but with there being 2 cuts yet to be made on the defensive side, they probably need all the viewings they can get of players not named Trouba, Jones, or Murphy...so I think one of them likely sits to make room

Old
12-21-2012, 05:00 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
I believe the expectation is that they will. I think Gibson especially will play.

Chris Peters:

Quote:
With just two pre-tournament games, one of which was a sorely needed evaluation game for players that were on the bubble for Team USA, Saturday morning’s contest is an important chemistry-building game.

It is highly likely the players scratched in Saturday’s game are the ones who will be sent home, unless there’s still any doubts about certain guys.

Head Coach Phil Housley has already said he will dress all of the players that were scratched for the game against Sweden on Saturday.
Read more:
http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2012...al-exhibition/

Old
12-21-2012, 05:16 PM
wings5

I might have missed it but is Kerdiles still being evaluated?

Old
12-21-2012, 05:19 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I might have missed it but is Kerdiles still being evaluated?
No he is not.

12-21-2012, 05:33 PM
NTDP

Quote:
That's correct, you'll also one of our top 6 forward lines that didn't dress. Jt miller, Grimaldi, and gaudreau

Old
12-21-2012, 05:44 PM
irunthepeg
#whiteout

Cool segment on Gaudreau on TSN. Seems like a good likeable kid that Johnny Hockey

Old
12-21-2012, 05:46 PM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
Cool segment on Gaudreau on TSN. Seems like a good likeable kid that Johnny Hockey
i see what you did there. any link? i did not see it on there

Old
12-21-2012, 05:47 PM
irunthepeg
#whiteout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
i see what you did there. any link? i did not see it on there
Just saw it aired on TV. Apparently Craig Button gave him that nickname Oh and I wasn't being sarcastic. They had his story and compared him to Marty St. Louis because of him being a small player etc. I always have a soft spot for the underdogs to make it.

Old
12-21-2012, 05:52 PM
bigbadbruins7

Quote:
Just saw it aired on TV. Apparently Craig Button gave him that nickname Oh and I wasn't being sarcastic. They had his story and compared him to Marty St. Louis because of him being a small player etc. I always have a soft spot for the underdogs to make it.
ok thanks. hopefully they put it online

Old
12-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Zippy316

How does this team compare to the 2010 team? I watched some of the highlights, so I have an idea of who played, but I don't remember the lines, etc.

Old
12-21-2012, 08:22 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Was very impressed with Gostisbehere and Murphy.

Old
12-21-2012, 09:31 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Buccigross has been calling him that for a few months now.

Old
12-21-2012, 09:33 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
ok thanks. hopefully they put it online
http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/832245/clip/619

Old
12-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Wow, he looks young. He makes Patrick Kane look like an old man. Hopefully he can make it like his idol St. Louis. Looking forward to seeing him play tomorrow.

Old
12-21-2012, 09:49 PM
JetsHomer

What does the final defence look to be?

If you had to guess

Old
12-21-2012, 09:54 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Watching the game highlights I thought that was Cam Atkinson. Same size, same number on jersey, same team - BC.

Closed Thread