HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A. (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Gibson was hung out to dry. Poor defensive coverage in front of him.
The final two goals left a bit to be desired. Slap shots from the point, yes he was probably screened, but those are going to come. He did make severely very good saves on some other terrible breakdowns.

Old
12-22-2012, 10:20 AM
hlaverty06

I feel like Matteau will be odd man out

Old
12-22-2012, 10:34 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Just Be Nice

I will start by saying: by no means should anyone be hitting the panic button. There is still time for the team to come together, and hopefully this thumping will motivate the team and show that you can't take your foot off the pedal for a second.

That said, what an ugly performance. I was very underwhelmed by the "big guns" tonight, notably Gaudreau, Miller, and Galchenyuk. Grimaldi was one of the lone bright spots up front for me.

I also have not seen such a collectively terrible performance from a defense in a long time. Seemingly every shift was montage of turnovers, lost coverage, failed keeps, and players flat out getting turnstiled. Taking Gostisbehere, Reilly, AND Gryz could really go either way for this team.

However, if there are going to be this many PPs maybe overloading on offensive dmen was not that bad of an idea. Terrible game to watch. Some calls were typical IIHF ridiculousness, but the US also took a ton of bad penalties. They need to tighten that up.

Last edited by HatTrick Swayze: 12-22-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old
12-22-2012, 11:17 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

is tsn replaying the game, does anyone know?

Old
12-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
yes they are in the evening.

12-22-2012, 11:57 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
9:30 et.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=4124

Old
12-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Cuts won't be until Sunday morning at 3:00 am EST (10:00 am local time over there).

Interesting. Today's game is probably making it a little more difficult, unfortunately.

http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/ne...rrer_id=707994

Old
12-22-2012, 12:29 PM
orangeandblack

Watched the game this morning. Very underwhelming effort from Gaudreau, Galchenyuk and Miller.

Im not sure what to make out of the line combos, other then the Bardreau, Pietila, Hartman line should stay together.

I think they have to break up Grimaldi and Gaudreau, and give Galchenyuk a little help.

Im also not sure what to make of the scratches. Im really hoping Murphy was scratched because he's a lock.

There is no way they should take all 3 of Gostisbehere, Reilly and Grzlyck. Take one. Probably Gostisbehere, but he's very unpolished. A lot of talent and speed, but he takes a ton of chances.

THey need a physical stay at home defenseman like Seiloff on this team.

Old
12-22-2012, 01:44 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Just Be Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
Watched the game this morning. Very underwhelming effort from Gaudreau, Galchenyuk and Miller.

Im not sure what to make out of the line combos, other then the Bardreau, Pietila, Hartman line should stay together.

I think they have to break up Grimaldi and Gaudreau, and give Galchenyuk a little help.
Agreed, agreed, and agreed.

Quote:
Im also not sure what to make of the scratches. Im really hoping Murphy was scratched because he's a lock.
Was Murphy actually scratched or was he just riding pine? He took a shot up high vs Sweden so they might just be resting him up. If he's healthy there is no way he gets cut.

Quote:
There is no way they should take all 3 of Gostisbehere, Reilly and Grzlyck. Take one. Probably Gostisbehere, but he's very unpolished. A lot of talent and speed, but he takes a ton of chances.

THey need a physical stay at home defenseman like Seiloff on this team.
Again, could not agree more. I can only hope they are not planning to have one of those 3 on the ice at all times.

Old
12-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Evolu7ion
#firelindenning

It's laughable the amount of criticism and lack of support Reilly is getting.

This guy has been one of the most consistent USA Dmen dating back from inter-squad practice games right up to todays tilt versus Finland. He was the best guy on the top pairing in camp, outshining the likes of Jones. Yeah he didn't have a great game today, but the entire team was equally off. Despite his defensive struggles, I saw flashes of solid play, excellent 1 on 1 defense ability due to his skating, he just struggles when the other team gets set up in the zone.

This is a guy with dynamic skating ability, one of the best skaters on the team, in a tournament on big ice where mobility is so important. Yeah, his defensive coverage isn't the greatest, but it's not even that bad, and his offensive ability more than makes up for his defensive flaws. I'd go as far as saying Reilly is easily the most offensively gifted USA defenseman.

It would be a huge mistake to leave him home, you need guys that can create offense in this tournament and Reilly is one of the best at that.

With that in mind, here's the way I'd go on D if it were up to me:

Pair 1: Jones - Murphy
Big, shutdown pair. Capable of logging big minutes if needed. Excellent mobility, will be able to go up against any forwards in the tourney. Also some underrated offensive ability here, balanced two way pair.

Pair 2: Trouba - Reilly
You've got the team's best offensive dman paired with a true stay at home shutdown defender who has the mobility to keep up. The team can harness some of Reilly's explosive offensive ability, while protecting themselves defensively with a guy like Trouba.

Pair 3: Gotisbehere - McCabe
A nice pair of offense and defense. Strong defensive ability, again strong mobility.

You look at the forwards and there's a lot of speed and skill. This is a team built to play at a fast pace, creating offense off the rush and constantly pushing the pace. It would be a critical mistake to leave out a guy like Reilly who's one of the best skaters in the tournement, who can lead the rush, QB the PP, and play that high octane up tempo style.

Last edited by Evolu7ion: 12-22-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old
12-22-2012, 02:06 PM
NeelyFan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Again, could not agree more. I can only hope they are not planning to have one of those 3 on the ice at all times.
I would take:

Gostibehere-Trouba
Grzelyck-Jones
McCabe-Murphy
Skjei

I like Reilly's offense and his potential on the big ice, but I don't want his defensive lapses on the team.

Old
12-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
I didn't see today's game but based on the Sweden game, Matteau's skating is lacking to the point that it will hinder him on Olympic sized ice. I don't think he is fast enough to get on the forecheck and play physical. On NHL sized ice he and Biggs would be uncontainable.

Old
12-22-2012, 02:24 PM
sa cyred
Trying to Chill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeelyFan08 View Post
I would take:

Gostibehere-Trouba
Grzelyck-Jones
McCabe-Murphy
Skjei

I like Reilly's offense and his potential on the big ice, but I don't want his defensive lapses on the team.
Gonna have to agree here. I think they need to be careful if they use Reilly. I think they get more defensive play from Gostibehere and Grezelyck then the pure offensive that Reilly is. From most accounts, Reilly REALLY struggled defensively today.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:11 PM
orangeandblack

IMO Barber is probably the forward Id send home. He hasn't shown much in a top 6 role. He can't play on the 4th line. I don't see him on the 3rd either. At least Matteau can play any role, and his size and physical play can help.

Id rather have Lucia on the 2nd line. A third line of Biggs, and whatever duo of Vesey, Matteau and Kuraly, depending on who's hot.

Also, with right handed D at such a premium, you would never pair Jones and Murphy together.

How long till the Rangers send Skjei to the DUB? Too many defensemen at Minnesota now.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:17 PM
orangeandblack

Its not that Im dogging any 3 of Gostisbehere, Reilly and Grzelyck, its just that there is no need for 3 of them, when you can already get a lot of offense from Jones and Trouba alone. Take one or maybe 2 as the 7th, no matter which one it is. I think the team needs Seiloff. Having two defensemen that can take the body, and deliver big hits, will be huge.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
IMO Barber is probably the forward Id send home. He hasn't shown much in a top 6 role. He can't play on the 4th line. I don't see him on the 3rd either. At least Matteau can play any role, and his size and physical play can help.

Id rather have Lucia on the 2nd line. A third line of Biggs, and whatever duo of Vesey, Matteau and Kuraly, depending on who's hot.

Also, with right handed D at such a premium, you would never pair Jones and Murphy together.

How long till the Rangers send Skjei to the DUB? Too many defensemen at Minnesota now.
Barber also wasn't at the Summer Camp. so the history there is limited. I have to think the U.S. staff is a bit nervous, as the only line that has exhibited any chemistry is what amounts to a checking line. My major concern is wasting a talent like Galchenyuk. He has to get going, even if that means breaking up the Miller/Gaudreau/Grimaldi line-which has been hit or miss.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Its not that Im dogging any 3 of Gostisbehere, Reilly and Grzelyck, its just that there is no need for 3 of them, when you can already get a lot of offense from Jones and Trouba alone. Take one or maybe 2 as the 7th, no matter which one it is. I think the team needs Seiloff. Having two defensemen that can take the body, and deliver big hits, will be huge.
Agreed, although I think Skjei might be the guy instead of Seiloff.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:45 PM
William H Bonney

I'd cut Matteau or Barber, Skjei or Sieloff, and Reilly.

And then switch up lines. I hope this staff isn't as stubborn as some of our recent ones.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:48 PM
doakacola*

Gryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Agreed, although I think Skjei might be the guy instead of Seiloff.
Found it interesting Grezlyk wasn't on last PP. I think Seiloff makes it. I like Grezlyk as the #7.

Biggs was the most overrated player I saw upfront. Vesey did more in 1 game than Biggss did in 2.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowline View Post
Biggs was the most overrated player I saw upfront. Vesey did more in 1 game than Biggss did in 2.
As a Nashville fan, I should be considered biased, but I thought the same and I wasn't overly thrilled with Vesey's performance yesterday.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I hope this staff isn't as stubborn as some of our recent ones.
At least they aren't as self-assured as they were a few days ago. I'm glad that they're taking the extra time to deliberate on who to cut.

Old
12-22-2012, 04:14 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
At least they aren't as self-assured as they were a few days ago. I'm glad that they're taking the extra time to deliberate on who to cut.
I agree on that part. I just hope they haven't fallen in love with their line combos based on small ice 3-on-3 games in practice. You can't afford to hope chemistry develops in short tournaments, you must switch it up until it clicks - if it doesn't at least you tried before it was too late. Two years ago, Keith Allain rode his line combos and the team out of the gold medal game, then changed up the lines for the bronze and the forwards looked strong. Only the grind line should remain.

Lucia - Galchenyuk - Grimaldi
Gaudreau - Trocheck - Miller
Vesey - Kuraly - Biggs
Pietila - Bardreau - Hartman
Barber

12-22-2012, 04:17 PM
William H Bonney

"Team USA coaches have decided to delay their final roster cuts for the World Junior Championships until Sunday morning because they are awaiting medical reports on an undisclosed player."

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1786619

I'm worried that is Murphy. He dressed but barely played.

"I was the worst player on the ice today," Grimaldi said on Twitter. "I did absolutely nothing, and that is unacceptable. That CAN NOT and WILL NOT happen again."

From the same link. Hard on himself. I thought he was one of our best, if not the best, forward today.

Old
12-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Sean Monahan
JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED

vCash: 50
Gally has to play center to reach his full potential

Old
12-22-2012, 04:23 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
"Team USA coaches have decided to delay their final roster cuts for the World Junior Championships until Sunday morning because they are awaiting medical reports on an undisclosed player."

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1786619

I'm worried that is Murphy. He dressed but barely played.

"I was the worst player on the ice today," Grimaldi said on Twitter. "I did absolutely nothing, and that is unacceptable. That CAN NOT and WILL NOT happen again."

From the same link. Hard on himself. I thought he was one of our best, if not the best, forward today.
Agreed, Grimaldi was very good. I thought the passing was atrocious for the whole team, but majority for the first line. You can see there was no chemistry at all between those three players. I also agree with the poster above who said to switch the lines and give Alex more help.

Closed Thread