HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A. (Part 2)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-22-2012, 09:39 AM
  #301
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 5,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Gibson was hung out to dry. Poor defensive coverage in front of him.
The final two goals left a bit to be desired. Slap shots from the point, yes he was probably screened, but those are going to come. He did make severely very good saves on some other terrible breakdowns.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 10:20 AM
  #302
hlaverty06
Registered User
 
hlaverty06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ all day
Country: United States
Posts: 7,258
vCash: 500
I feel like Matteau will be odd man out

hlaverty06 is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 10:34 AM
  #303
HatTrick Swayze
Just Be Nice
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,551
vCash: 500
I will start by saying: by no means should anyone be hitting the panic button. There is still time for the team to come together, and hopefully this thumping will motivate the team and show that you can't take your foot off the pedal for a second.

That said, what an ugly performance. I was very underwhelmed by the "big guns" tonight, notably Gaudreau, Miller, and Galchenyuk. Grimaldi was one of the lone bright spots up front for me.

I also have not seen such a collectively terrible performance from a defense in a long time. Seemingly every shift was montage of turnovers, lost coverage, failed keeps, and players flat out getting turnstiled. Taking Gostisbehere, Reilly, AND Gryz could really go either way for this team.

However, if there are going to be this many PPs maybe overloading on offensive dmen was not that bad of an idea. Terrible game to watch. Some calls were typical IIHF ridiculousness, but the US also took a ton of bad penalties. They need to tighten that up.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame

Last edited by HatTrick Swayze: 12-22-2012 at 12:01 PM.
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 11:17 AM
  #304
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,363
vCash: 500
is tsn replaying the game, does anyone know?

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 11:47 AM
  #305
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto/Fredericton
Country: India
Posts: 74,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
is tsn replaying the game, does anyone know?
yes they are in the evening.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 11:57 AM
  #306
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 29,572
vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
is tsn replaying the game, does anyone know?
9:30 et.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/feature/?id=4124

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 12:24 PM
  #307
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?
 
Roo Mad Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,126
vCash: 500
Cuts won't be until Sunday morning at 3:00 am EST (10:00 am local time over there).

Interesting. Today's game is probably making it a little more difficult, unfortunately.

http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/ne...rrer_id=707994

Roo Mad Bro is online now  
Old
12-22-2012, 12:29 PM
  #308
orangeandblack
Registered User
 
orangeandblack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,373
vCash: 500
Watched the game this morning. Very underwhelming effort from Gaudreau, Galchenyuk and Miller.

Im not sure what to make out of the line combos, other then the Bardreau, Pietila, Hartman line should stay together.

I think they have to break up Grimaldi and Gaudreau, and give Galchenyuk a little help.

Im also not sure what to make of the scratches. Im really hoping Murphy was scratched because he's a lock.

There is no way they should take all 3 of Gostisbehere, Reilly and Grzlyck. Take one. Probably Gostisbehere, but he's very unpolished. A lot of talent and speed, but he takes a ton of chances.

THey need a physical stay at home defenseman like Seiloff on this team.

orangeandblack is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 01:44 PM
  #309
HatTrick Swayze
Just Be Nice
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
Watched the game this morning. Very underwhelming effort from Gaudreau, Galchenyuk and Miller.

Im not sure what to make out of the line combos, other then the Bardreau, Pietila, Hartman line should stay together.

I think they have to break up Grimaldi and Gaudreau, and give Galchenyuk a little help.
Agreed, agreed, and agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
Im also not sure what to make of the scratches. Im really hoping Murphy was scratched because he's a lock.
Was Murphy actually scratched or was he just riding pine? He took a shot up high vs Sweden so they might just be resting him up. If he's healthy there is no way he gets cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
There is no way they should take all 3 of Gostisbehere, Reilly and Grzlyck. Take one. Probably Gostisbehere, but he's very unpolished. A lot of talent and speed, but he takes a ton of chances.

THey need a physical stay at home defenseman like Seiloff on this team.
Again, could not agree more. I can only hope they are not planning to have one of those 3 on the ice at all times.

HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 02:04 PM
  #310
Evolu7ion
#firelindenning
 
Evolu7ion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,379
vCash: 500
It's laughable the amount of criticism and lack of support Reilly is getting.

This guy has been one of the most consistent USA Dmen dating back from inter-squad practice games right up to todays tilt versus Finland. He was the best guy on the top pairing in camp, outshining the likes of Jones. Yeah he didn't have a great game today, but the entire team was equally off. Despite his defensive struggles, I saw flashes of solid play, excellent 1 on 1 defense ability due to his skating, he just struggles when the other team gets set up in the zone.

This is a guy with dynamic skating ability, one of the best skaters on the team, in a tournament on big ice where mobility is so important. Yeah, his defensive coverage isn't the greatest, but it's not even that bad, and his offensive ability more than makes up for his defensive flaws. I'd go as far as saying Reilly is easily the most offensively gifted USA defenseman.

It would be a huge mistake to leave him home, you need guys that can create offense in this tournament and Reilly is one of the best at that.

With that in mind, here's the way I'd go on D if it were up to me:

Pair 1: Jones - Murphy
Big, shutdown pair. Capable of logging big minutes if needed. Excellent mobility, will be able to go up against any forwards in the tourney. Also some underrated offensive ability here, balanced two way pair.

Pair 2: Trouba - Reilly
You've got the team's best offensive dman paired with a true stay at home shutdown defender who has the mobility to keep up. The team can harness some of Reilly's explosive offensive ability, while protecting themselves defensively with a guy like Trouba.

Pair 3: Gotisbehere - McCabe
A nice pair of offense and defense. Strong defensive ability, again strong mobility.

You look at the forwards and there's a lot of speed and skill. This is a team built to play at a fast pace, creating offense off the rush and constantly pushing the pace. It would be a critical mistake to leave out a guy like Reilly who's one of the best skaters in the tournement, who can lead the rush, QB the PP, and play that high octane up tempo style.


Last edited by Evolu7ion: 12-22-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Evolu7ion is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 02:06 PM
  #311
NeelyFan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Again, could not agree more. I can only hope they are not planning to have one of those 3 on the ice at all times.
I would take:

Gostibehere-Trouba
Grzelyck-Jones
McCabe-Murphy
Skjei

I like Reilly's offense and his potential on the big ice, but I don't want his defensive lapses on the team.

NeelyFan08 is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 02:13 PM
  #312
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,211
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
I didn't see today's game but based on the Sweden game, Matteau's skating is lacking to the point that it will hinder him on Olympic sized ice. I don't think he is fast enough to get on the forecheck and play physical. On NHL sized ice he and Biggs would be uncontainable.

Jason MacIsaac is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 02:24 PM
  #313
sa cyred
Trying to Chill
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SJ
Country: Cuba
Posts: 18,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeelyFan08 View Post
I would take:

Gostibehere-Trouba
Grzelyck-Jones
McCabe-Murphy
Skjei

I like Reilly's offense and his potential on the big ice, but I don't want his defensive lapses on the team.
Gonna have to agree here. I think they need to be careful if they use Reilly. I think they get more defensive play from Gostibehere and Grezelyck then the pure offensive that Reilly is. From most accounts, Reilly REALLY struggled defensively today.

sa cyred is online now  
Old
12-22-2012, 03:11 PM
  #314
orangeandblack
Registered User
 
orangeandblack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,373
vCash: 500
IMO Barber is probably the forward Id send home. He hasn't shown much in a top 6 role. He can't play on the 4th line. I don't see him on the 3rd either. At least Matteau can play any role, and his size and physical play can help.

Id rather have Lucia on the 2nd line. A third line of Biggs, and whatever duo of Vesey, Matteau and Kuraly, depending on who's hot.

Also, with right handed D at such a premium, you would never pair Jones and Murphy together.

How long till the Rangers send Skjei to the DUB? Too many defensemen at Minnesota now.

orangeandblack is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 03:17 PM
  #315
orangeandblack
Registered User
 
orangeandblack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,373
vCash: 500
Its not that Im dogging any 3 of Gostisbehere, Reilly and Grzelyck, its just that there is no need for 3 of them, when you can already get a lot of offense from Jones and Trouba alone. Take one or maybe 2 as the 7th, no matter which one it is. I think the team needs Seiloff. Having two defensemen that can take the body, and deliver big hits, will be huge.

orangeandblack is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 03:26 PM
  #316
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 21,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
IMO Barber is probably the forward Id send home. He hasn't shown much in a top 6 role. He can't play on the 4th line. I don't see him on the 3rd either. At least Matteau can play any role, and his size and physical play can help.

Id rather have Lucia on the 2nd line. A third line of Biggs, and whatever duo of Vesey, Matteau and Kuraly, depending on who's hot.

Also, with right handed D at such a premium, you would never pair Jones and Murphy together.

How long till the Rangers send Skjei to the DUB? Too many defensemen at Minnesota now.
Barber also wasn't at the Summer Camp. so the history there is limited. I have to think the U.S. staff is a bit nervous, as the only line that has exhibited any chemistry is what amounts to a checking line. My major concern is wasting a talent like Galchenyuk. He has to get going, even if that means breaking up the Miller/Gaudreau/Grimaldi line-which has been hit or miss.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 03:27 PM
  #317
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 21,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
Its not that Im dogging any 3 of Gostisbehere, Reilly and Grzelyck, its just that there is no need for 3 of them, when you can already get a lot of offense from Jones and Trouba alone. Take one or maybe 2 as the 7th, no matter which one it is. I think the team needs Seiloff. Having two defensemen that can take the body, and deliver big hits, will be huge.
Agreed, although I think Skjei might be the guy instead of Seiloff.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 03:45 PM
  #318
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
I'd cut Matteau or Barber, Skjei or Sieloff, and Reilly.

And then switch up lines. I hope this staff isn't as stubborn as some of our recent ones.

William H Bonney is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 03:48 PM
  #319
doakacola*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 9,231
vCash: 500
Gryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Agreed, although I think Skjei might be the guy instead of Seiloff.
Found it interesting Grezlyk wasn't on last PP. I think Seiloff makes it. I like Grezlyk as the #7.

Biggs was the most overrated player I saw upfront. Vesey did more in 1 game than Biggss did in 2.

doakacola* is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 03:56 PM
  #320
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowline View Post
Biggs was the most overrated player I saw upfront. Vesey did more in 1 game than Biggss did in 2.
As a Nashville fan, I should be considered biased, but I thought the same and I wasn't overly thrilled with Vesey's performance yesterday.

Seth Lake is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 03:57 PM
  #321
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Exit Dose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 24,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I hope this staff isn't as stubborn as some of our recent ones.
At least they aren't as self-assured as they were a few days ago. I'm glad that they're taking the extra time to deliberate on who to cut.

Exit Dose is online now  
Old
12-22-2012, 04:14 PM
  #322
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
At least they aren't as self-assured as they were a few days ago. I'm glad that they're taking the extra time to deliberate on who to cut.
I agree on that part. I just hope they haven't fallen in love with their line combos based on small ice 3-on-3 games in practice. You can't afford to hope chemistry develops in short tournaments, you must switch it up until it clicks - if it doesn't at least you tried before it was too late. Two years ago, Keith Allain rode his line combos and the team out of the gold medal game, then changed up the lines for the bronze and the forwards looked strong. Only the grind line should remain.

Lucia - Galchenyuk - Grimaldi
Gaudreau - Trocheck - Miller
Vesey - Kuraly - Biggs
Pietila - Bardreau - Hartman
Barber

__________________
"I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me; I always feel that they have not said enough." - Mark Twain.
William H Bonney is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 04:17 PM
  #323
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
"Team USA coaches have decided to delay their final roster cuts for the World Junior Championships until Sunday morning because they are awaiting medical reports on an undisclosed player."

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1786619

I'm worried that is Murphy. He dressed but barely played.

"I was the worst player on the ice today," Grimaldi said on Twitter. "I did absolutely nothing, and that is unacceptable. That CAN NOT and WILL NOT happen again."

From the same link. Hard on himself. I thought he was one of our best, if not the best, forward today.

William H Bonney is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 04:19 PM
  #324
Sean Monahan
JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
 
Sean Monahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Murrica
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,225
vCash: 50
Gally has to play center to reach his full potential

Sean Monahan is offline  
Old
12-22-2012, 04:23 PM
  #325
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 8,626
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
"Team USA coaches have decided to delay their final roster cuts for the World Junior Championships until Sunday morning because they are awaiting medical reports on an undisclosed player."

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1786619

I'm worried that is Murphy. He dressed but barely played.

"I was the worst player on the ice today," Grimaldi said on Twitter. "I did absolutely nothing, and that is unacceptable. That CAN NOT and WILL NOT happen again."

From the same link. Hard on himself. I thought he was one of our best, if not the best, forward today.
Agreed, Grimaldi was very good. I thought the passing was atrocious for the whole team, but majority for the first line. You can see there was no chemistry at all between those three players. I also agree with the poster above who said to switch the lines and give Alex more help.

S E P H is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.