HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — U.S.A. (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 09:12 AM
651*

vCash: 500
Okay, well I'm looking at the roster and I see no third MNan. Unless dude is referring to someone who was just raised (not born) here.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:24 AM
William H Bonney

Seth Jones didn't have a good game today. Not bad but his defense wasn't at its best today. He got beat on the GWG and he got caught quite a bit pinching or losing the Russian cherry picker - you know Russia will have a floater, no reason to lose him so often. Trouba has been the team's best d-man so far.

I hope Housley rethinks his top six. When you're down by a goal against Russia and you put out your 4th line and then 3rd line for back-to-back shifts with about two minutes in the game, that should tell you something.

Team played well today other than the puck watching shift that led to the game winner. Passing was off but they carried the most of the play, although Russia carried it for spurts (early second, different parts of the third). Team was playing against the big ice, home crowd, strong team, and on tired legs so the result shouldn't be too disappointing. I expected it to be close but it only sucks because this was one they could have easily pulled out. Still, some changes need to be made.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 12-28-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old
12-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Machinehead
#Fakestats

vCash: 50
Overall we're still in pretty decent shape. We just need to beat Slovakia to move on.

After 2 games we have 3 and Slovakia has 1. You figure they're gonna beat the Germans so give them 4. Then it just comes down to beating them heads up. Canada game doesn't even matter really.

If we beat Canada, the Slovaks would have to win in regulation, that's about all the Canada game counts for.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Xokkeu

We need to shake up our top lines.

The Gaudreau-Miller-Grimaldi line is simply not working well and Galchenyuk is on an island sometimes.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:57 AM
orangeandblack

I think the top 6 is poorly constructed.

Miller and Grimaldi should be anchoring the 3rd line with the way they play. Miller is not a top 6 skill level player, no matter where he plays now, he doesn't have the offensive instincts to play with skill guys. With Rocco's motor, I think he can play top 6, but he's much more beneficial as an energy guy on the 3rd line. Creating turnovers and buzzing around the ice

In hindsight, Noesen would definitely help in the top 6 and I think Boucher and Erne would too. Its a shame the suspension happened.

I think with the current lines, you won't get the best out of Gaudreau and Galchenyuk. Its obvious they are the two most skilled on the team. Id like to see them together with either Kuraly or Trocheck.

Id rather see something like this in a perfect world.

Boucher, Galchenyuk, Noesen
Erne, Trocheck, Gaudreau
Miller, Grimaldi, Biggs
Hartman, Bardreau, Pietila
Kuraly/Kerdiles

I think the D overall looks pretty good, and Gibson is very solid.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Xokkeu

Grimaldi has been better than Gaudreau in my opinion. Still think this line could work.

Lucia-Galchenyuk-Grimaldi

Old
12-28-2012, 11:04 AM
sbtatter

Galchenyuk looks pretty soft out there, hard to believe he was a 3rd pick overall. The Habs might have been sold a pup. Trouba has improved leaps and bounds. Great game for the neutral to watch, both the USA and Russia have the horses to beat Canada

Old
12-28-2012, 11:07 AM
ps241
Gordie Baby ❤️

Guys I don't think there is a reason to panic. Gibson looked great and Markov stood on his head. That was a really fast, well played, even game between two top end teams and it could have gone either way.

"Chin up" this tourney is just getting going and your team looks as good as anyone's.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:17 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
If the Gaudreau-Miller-Grimaldi line is still intact for the game against Canada, I'll have lost all confidence in Phil Housley as a coach. Their lack of cohesiveness and chemistry after 3 games is inexcusable. The disparity between BC Gaudreau and WJC Gaudreau is unbelievable. His confidence is non-existent, and pairing him with Grimaldi makes no sense. When Gaudreau is playing well in BC, he's dictating the play, and he has the puck on his stick. When he's playing with Grimaldi, Grimaldi is always holding onto the puck. Those two cannot work together, they play the exact same style and having two of that same style does not work on a line. Combine the fact the fact that Grimaldi and Miller are both playing out of position(Grimaldi is a center and Miller a winger), it's just not going to work. Miller's style is much more conducive to being a winger because he likes to forecheck and work the corners, which a center doesn't do. They may not want to make 3 scoring lines, but I see it as the only way to get Gaudreau and Grimaldi clicking.

Galchenyuk-Kuraly-Barber
Gaudreau-Trocheck-Biggs
Lucia/Vesey-Grimaldi-Miller
Pietila-Bardreau-Hartman

In this case, it gives both Gaudreau and Grimaldi two bigger guys to work with, and it will allow them to dictate the pace of play for their line. They have the puck on their stick, and have two bigger forwards that can work the corners to get them the puck, and crash and bang in front of the net.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:05 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
Galchenyuk looks pretty soft out there, hard to believe he was a 3rd pick overall. The Habs might have been sold a pup. Trouba has improved leaps and bounds. Great game for the neutral to watch, both the USA and Russia have the horses to beat Canada
I have been very underwhelmed bu Galchenyuk. Other than what appears to be a good stick, nothing else remotely says elite, nothing.

Trouba looks like a force so far. Best player by quite a bit for the US.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:35 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowline View Post
I have been very underwhelmed bu Galchenyuk. Other than what appears to be a good stick, nothing else remotely says elite, nothing.

Lol...wow, some of you guys are tough on Gally. He is leading the team in scoring even with little ice time. He was named player of the game yesterday. Have you watched him play in Sarnia this year? Anyways, you're entitled to your opinion. My question is, if you think Galchenyuk is that bad, how bad must you think Yakupov is... He's been much worse so far this tournament.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:59 PM
DogsFan*

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
Wow. The kid plays 10 minutes a game because Housley can't manage his roster. He has 4 points in just over 20 minutes of total ice time. USA should be leaning on him, he should be playing close to 18 minutes at least. Instead he insists on playing Gaudreau-Miller-Grimaldi, who have less points combined than Galchenyuk has on his own.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Locks

Quote:

Ok, after he played reported TOI 9:30 with Sean Kuraly as his center. Kuraly has a grand total of four points on the season with Miami and was slated to be a third-liner on this team but Trotchek's offensive innefectiveness prompted Housley to bump him up.
Did you watch the game against Germany or pre-tourny against Sweden? Any Gally's OHL games?
And what do you think of Yakupov after two games?

Old
12-28-2012, 03:21 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locks View Post
Ok, after he played reported TOI 9:30 with Sean Kuraly as his center. Kuraly has a grand total of four points on the season with Miami and was slated to be a third-liner on this team but Trotchek's offensive innefectiveness prompted Housley to bump him up.
Did you watch the game against Germany or pre-tourny against Sweden? Any Gally's OHL games?
And what do you think of Yakupov after two games?
I watched both prelim games and my read is based on those games plus the first two.

Please read nh post again. I said he has a good stick but nothing else is ELITE.

Yakupov looked like a Pee Wee puck hog. They both will be less effective than Seguin on their first year
in the NHL.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:34 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
We need to shake up our top lines.

The Gaudreau-Miller-Grimaldi line is simply not working well and Galchenyuk is on an island sometimes.
Correct.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Evolu7ion

If it were up to me I'd bump Galchenyuk to centre and roll with Gaudreau - Galchenyuk - Miller.

TBH there isn't a great fix though. US has strong D and goaltending this year, but they are lacking significant high end offensive talent. After Galchenyuk and Gaudreau (borderline) there's not a lot there.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:09 PM
flyers28giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
If it were up to me I'd bump Galchenyuk to centre and roll with Gaudreau - Galchenyuk - Miller.

TBH there isn't a great fix though. US has strong D and goaltending this year, but they are lacking significant high end offensive talent. After Galchenyuk and Gaudreau (borderline) there's not a lot there.
I would have Galchenyuk on the first line as the center, Gaudreau on the second line, and JT Miller on the third line, both as wingers. I would have either Lucia or Biggs bump up to the first line since they would bring a big body presence on that line with Galchenyuk and Grimaldi. I personally think its worth a shot but will probably never come into fruition.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:57 PM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

Like everyone else I hate the Miller line. All 3 players are much better than they have shown. Gaudreau and Grimaldi like to dictate play and don't mesh well together. People can complain about Grimaldi holding the puck too long, but when he isn't in a situation to get a good shot off he does that to draw defenders and dish the puck. Either he isn't seeing the ice like he usually does, there isn't any chemistry, or Miller and Gaudreau aren't working to get open. It's a chemistry issue.

Gaudreau hasn't been noticeable at all, which is not the way he plays either.

Not sure how to shake up the lines, but they definitely need some serious shaking.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:15 PM
TylerSVT*

I dont like Grimaldi and Gaudreau on the same line. I think Gaudreau has to cover for both Grimaldi and Miller a lot which means he is constantly playing defense.

Put him with Galchenyuk and you might see some spark.

Housley better change stuff up, he is going to run this team into the ground.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:19 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

really wish we had Kerdiles and Erne for this team...both these kids bring size, skill, and scoring ability...could slot them anywhere and still be productive....hope it all works out, but it always seems we leave some good kids home man

Old
12-28-2012, 05:21 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

and the loss of Noesen has been much more damaging then I feared...and Johansson not bringing in Kerdiles knowing they lost Noesen is just as damaging as well...

Noesen is the perfect go to guy this team needed to help balance out our top 6... damn shame what happened, really cant cry over spilled milk, just thinking what could have been is all..

Old
12-28-2012, 05:22 PM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I dont like Grimaldi and Gaudreau on the same line. I think Gaudreau has to cover for both Grimaldi and Miller a lot which means he is constantly playing defense.

Put him with Galchenyuk and you might see some spark.

Housley better change stuff up, he is going to run this team into the ground.
Must be a Gaudreau fan.

Old
12-28-2012, 05:46 PM
reffree

Where's Galchenyuk time on ice stat has been taken? I watched the game live this morning and to my eyes he was there a hell of a lot more than the reported 9 minutes ?!?

Old
12-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Grimaldi has been better than Gaudreau in my opinion. Still think this line could work.

Lucia-Galchenyuk-Grimaldi
I do, too.

I really wish Housley had brought along some competition at forward. I don't want to complain too much, since I feel like we played well for most of the game.

Old
12-28-2012, 06:26 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post
Where's Galchenyuk time on ice stat has been taken? I watched the game live this morning and to my eyes he was there a hell of a lot more than the reported 9 minutes ?!?
9min even strenght ice time would make sense.. He was there quite a lot on powerplays but rarely appeared 5 on 5. Still he didn't play much, that much is certain.

I have no idea whats going on in Housley's head, Galchenyuk should be given a lot of ice time.

Closed Thread