HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

"A Century of Hockey Heroes" -- a pseudo- Top-100 List

Old
12-17-2012, 12:21 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Ahead of Fedorov, though? A Hart, two Selkes, a key player on two Cups, had just won silver in Nagano, and a major cog in the famous Russian Five unit... to me, even at the time, Leclair was not on Fedorov's level as a hockey player.
I don't want to say that LeClair was, but if Sergei Fedorov wasn't one of my favorite players, I could probably argue that LeClair was. And besides, if I'm scratching contemporary names off of the list in 1999 to make room for Fedorov, I'd knock out pre-Florida Bure before LeClair.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 07:34 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Agree if you are talking about his ability, but that's not what I meant, I said he was deserved because of his importance to the game. Regardless of what level he accomplished it at, he was the first American to become a star/famous from playing hockey, and that is important to the history of the game. Supported by his induction in the first ever HHOF class.
I think a large part of his importance is involved in his legendary status which grew with his early death.

It was easier to induct him than seem to disrespect him.

I always have a problem with players like Hobey and their "importance" to the game, if anything those type of players should go into a builders category.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 07:48 AM
MXD

Best player missing = Sprague Cleghorn

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:39 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Here's a small excerpt of what the authors had to say about LeClair:

Quote:
John LeClair has a lot in common with Hall-of-Famer Phil Esposito. Like Espo, LeClair loves the action right in front of the net. And like Espo, LeClair reached his potential after being traded to a new team. Unlike Esposito, who was banished by the Blackhawks for poor play in the post-season, LeClair excelled in the playoffs. It was in the regular season, though, that LeClair seemed to have some problems.
The St. Albans, Vermont native has become a consistent 50-goal scorer and is now a dominant left winger in the game. He has gone from being a bench-warmer in Montreal to being a four-time All Star in Philly. With his presence on the ice, Stanley Cup fever is still alive in Philadelphia.
Hobey Baker:

Quote:
By the time he reached Princeton University in 1910, Hobey Baker was ready to become America's first hockey star. ... Newspaper stories would be filled with accounts of his dazzling displays.
[photo caption] After he joined the St. Nicholas team in New York, limousines would line up outside the arena. The big cars were bringing high society fans to watch Hobey Baker play hockey.

Tubma Johansson:
Quote:
Sven Johansson is the greatest player in the history of Swedish hockey.
Big and strong, Tumba Johansson was a scoring star whose hockey style was similar to Gordie Howe.
Most of the content of the bios are recaps of their careers, but these lines give some suggestion as to why they were picked for the list.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Czech Your Math

Fedorov definitely should have been there. I think it was too early for Kariya: He hadn't led the league in anything, hadn't done anything in the playoffs, and wasn't better than 10th in Goals/Points (nor in top 5 in GPG or PPG) from '95-'99.

Interesting that Lidstrom, at age 29, with two 1st AS and two cups, wasn't considered in the top 100 all-time. How many other top 20 players would not be top 100 if they retired at 29?

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:24 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
Fedorov definitely should have been there. I think it was too early for Kariya: He hadn't led the league in anything, hadn't done anything in the playoffs, and wasn't better than 10th in Goals/Points (nor in top 5 in GPG or PPG) from '95-'99.

Interesting that Lidstrom, at age 29, with two 1st AS and two cups, wasn't considered in the top 100 all-time. How many other top 20 players would not be top 100 if they retired at 29?
Doug Harvey - all 7 Norris Trophies after the age of 29
Eddie Shore - all 4 Hart Trophies after the age of 29
Dominik Hasek - 1st Vezina at the age of 29.

Strangely enough, noted latebloomer Phil Esposito probably is still a top 100 player even if he retires at 29, as he broke all kinds of single season records in 1970-71 when he turned 28 (and won his 2nd Art Ross).

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 12-17-2012 at 09:37 AM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:42 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Here's a small excerpt of what the authors had to say about LeClair:

Hobey Baker:

Tubma Johansson:

Most of the content of the bios are recaps of their careers, but these lines give some suggestion as to why they were picked for the list.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...63&postcount=3

Heres my bio on Tumba from the MLD draft in case people want to know more but as a summary.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Czech Your Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Doug Harvey - all 7 Norris Trophies after the age of 29
Eddie Shore - all 4 Hart Trophies after the age of 29
Dominik Hasek - 1st Vezina at the age of 29.

Strangely enough, noted latebloomer Phil Esposito probably is still a top 100 player even if he retires at 29, as he broke all kinds of single season records in 1970-71 when he turned 28 (and won his 2nd Art Ross).
I agree that Espo would be top 100 even at 29. I guess Messier's Hart/Cup at 29 solidifies him in the top 100 as well.

BTW, I meant top 100 currently, not at the time of their retirement (which would be even more of a no-brainer).

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:06 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post

I think the Kariya selection comes down to creating interest in the Southern California area, on a team that had the biggest marketing potential in the NHL (considering the Mighty Ducks movies).

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:49 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
10 AM Its Automatic

Quote:
Here's a small excerpt of what the authors had to say about LeClair
Leclair was hardly a bench warmer in Montreal. He was an integral part of the 93 SC run by Montreal. I agree that he did not get a lot of playing time as he was mostly a third liner, but he scored a lot of big goals in the 93 playoffs.

LeBlondeDemon10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:49 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
I think the Kariya selection comes down to creating interest in the Southern California area, on a team that had the biggest marketing potential in the NHL (considering the Mighty Ducks movies).
I'm not sure that was the case in 1999, though. The Mighty Ducks had been around for 6 years at that point, and Kariya was rolling through another 100-point season. That was the peak of the Kariya-Selanne hype, with them finishing 2-3 in league scoring. Kariya signed a $10m/yr contract that summer.

Even putting aside marketing hype, I can see how someone making a list in 1999 would have seen him as a star of his generation just beginning to hit his full potential. It really wasn't until 2-3 years later that he started to fade away.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:51 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
10 AM Its Automatic

Sundin does not belong on this list as of the date published. He may belong now.

LeBlondeDemon10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:54 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Sundin does not belong on this list as of the date published. He may belong now.
He do if you take international career into account.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:58 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

To put Kariya into perspective, he is STILL only the fourth-youngest individual to hit 400 career goals. By which I mean, only 3 guys born after Kariya have hit that mark. They are Iginla, Hossa and Kovalchuk. Marleau and Lecavalier seem like the only ones who are close and likely to make it.

He was really the first of the DPE/lockout generation, and viewed through that lens his accomplishments seem much more impressive than if you compare him to guys like Jagr and Selanne who are only slightly older but got the benefit of a higher-scoring league to start their careers.