HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

HFBoards Top 30 Left Wingers - #1

View Poll Results: HFBoards Top 20 Left Wingers #1
Alex Ovechkin 85 46.96%
Ilya Kovalchuk 76 41.99%
Daniel Sedin 11 6.08%
Zach Parise 1 0.55%
Rick Nash 1 0.55%
Patrik Elias 0 0%
Patrick Sharp 0 0%
Bobby Ryan 0 0%
Thomas Vanek 1 0.55%
Alexander Semin 0 0%
Dustin Brown 0 0%
Scott Hartnell 0 0%
Taylor Hall 1 0.55%
Milan Lucic 0 0%
Jeff Skinner 0 0%
Evander Kane 0 0%
Max Pacioretty 0 0%
Ray Whitney 0 0%
Valtteri Filppula 0 0%
Gabriel Landeskog 5 2.76%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Ovechkin
Kovalchuk
Sedin

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
20 options and Lupul isn't one of them - hilarious.

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Possibly because he's been a RW every single year before this one?

Old
12-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Possibly because he's been a RW every single year before this one?
He's a LW right now and was the highest scoring one up until game 67 and his injury. Still finished above a PPG. Make a case he's not at the top, sure, but to not even be mentioned among the first 20 is pretty funny.

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
He's a LW right now and was the highest scoring one up until game 67 and his injury. Still finished above a PPG. Make a case he's not at the top, sure, but to not even be mentioned among the first 20 is pretty funny.
I don't see it as that funny, as someone mentioned Marleau is also missing.

Old
12-17-2012, 01:07 PM
MastuhNinks

vCash: 500
Ovechkin

Add Lupul, he scored at a higher rate than everyone but Kovalchuk on this list and he actually outscored most of the guys on the list despite playing only 66 games.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

If people are going to argue over players' proper positions, then shouldn't Kovalchuk be considered a RW? He is a natural LW but has been playing RW for the better part of the past two seasons.

I still voted Ovechkin. I still think he can turn his game around, maybe not to the level he once was at but higher than it's at right now.

Cheddabombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:37 PM
lboogie42*

this poll shoulda just been between ovy and kovy lol. i was honsetly gonna pick elias, then i saw kovy and it was a no hesitation pick. kovy easy.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:57 PM
AD1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
I thought Filppula was a center.
He definitely was at one point, but Z and Dats have been centering their own lines for the last year or two. He's a lot more effective at wing, too, if you ask me.

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

I'm still giving AO the benefit of the doubt. he's been crazy good for too long for me to go and say he's not the best LW anymore.

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

I'd take Kovy.

Ovechkin has the better career by a country mile, but he's been pretty "meh" the past few years.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:37 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddabombs View Post
If people are going to argue over players' proper positions, then shouldn't Kovalchuk be considered a RW? He is a natural LW but has been playing RW for the better part of the past two seasons.

I still voted Ovechkin. I still think he can turn his game around, maybe not to the level he once was at but higher than it's at right now.
With both Parise & Poni gone this summer, it's almost guaranteed that he switches right back over to LW again.
Went from having too many LWers to being weak on the left side really quick.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:44 PM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
I'd take Kovy.

Ovechkin has the better career by a country mile, but he's been pretty "meh" the past few years.
2 back to back "meh" seasons in which he edged Kovalchuk in goals in each, while averaging 32 goals a year.

Stupid players who average 54 goals before averaging 35 goals... am I right?

I like Kovalchuk more, but this shouldnt even be close.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Fire Dumboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
2 back to back "meh" seasons in which he edged Kovalchuk in goals in each, while averaging 32 goals a year.

Stupid players who average 54 goals before averaging 35 goals... am I right?

I like Kovalchuk more, but this shouldnt even be close.
The last 2 seasons they were within ten points of each other, while not miles ahead of Ovechkin defensively Kovalchuk is better defensively.

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 06:41 PM
bp spec

Kovalchuk

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Bondys Champagne
Who dey

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
With both Parise & Poni gone this summer, it's almost guaranteed that he switches right back over to LW again.
Went from having too many LWers to being weak on the left side really quick.
Problem is, we're even worse on the right side But I don't think having Kovalchuk and Elias on the left side should be considered weak...?

Bondys Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 07:57 PM
kingsboy11
Thank You Landon

Kovalchuk and Ovechkin are interchangeable IMO. Voted Kovy though. After these two its definetely sedin.

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:15 PM
cgf

Ovechkin, Kovalchuk and then Sedin...After Landeskog of course...

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dutch View Post
Problem is, we're even worse on the right side But I don't think having Kovalchuk and Elias on the left side should be considered weak...?
Pete DeBoer aside, no one can really know what the Devils 1st and 2nd lines will look like yet. At least 4 players of their top 6 are versatile enough to play different position effectively, or even perfectly.

Elias: LW or C
Ilya: LW or RW
Henrique: LW or C
Zubrus: LW, RW or C D and G of course !

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:07 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Quote:
Lupul isn't a top-20 LW. He's probably not a top-30 LW either. Scoring more than 60 points for the first time at age 28 does not catapult a player into "automatically included in discussion for top-20 at his position".

The Leafs Should Trade Lupul
Quote:
The Leafs need to win games 4-2 more often. Lupul is a primary reason why they lose 5-4.
Who Made Who - Kessel/Lupul
Quote:
But if Brian Burke is intent on holding onto a player with a career-high shooting percentage this summer rather than selling him when his value is at the highest, that's his worry. I really, really don't think that Lupul is anything more than average offensively and he's pretty bleak in his own end.
Kessel, better with Lupul?
Quote:
The odd takeaway here is that Lupul didn't help Kessel generate any more shots than he did when he was playing with a pair of AHLers in the early part of the season. All that happened when Lupul came to the team is that the inevitable correction for those shooting percentages. Individually, Kessel scored .46 goals per game after the trade and .35 in the first 54 games of the season.

So, a variance correction, and all that. Lupul was one of the worst players in adjusted Fenwick out of all NHLers last season among forwards (ahead of only Matt Martin of the New York Islanders and his old Anaheim Duck teammate Brandon MacMillan)..

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 10:19 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Lupul isn't a top-20 LW. He's probably not a top-30 LW either. Scoring more than 60 points for the first time at age 28 does not catapult a player into "automatically included in discussion for top-20 at his position".
Scoring at the 2nd highest rate among LWs over the course of the most recent season, and outscoring all but a few despite only playing 66 games certainly does put him in the conversation for top 20 LWs.

It's funny because Jamie Benn scored 60 points for the first time in his career this past season and he's hailed as a God here, in fact he was voted the 29th best overall forward in the entire NHL, over the likes of Brad Richards, Patrice Bergeron, and Patrik Elias despite just scoring 60 points for the first time, like Lupul. It's okay to rave about him and call him a top 30 forward in the entire NHL but god forbid somebody suggests Joffrey Lupul is top 20 in his position.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:08 PM
GFS

I think we should leave Lupul at RW since that was the position he played before last season according to other posters. That is why he was not included in this list.

As for Filppula, I find this one tougher because he can play both positions and he was included in the top 30 centers poll too. But lately, he has been playing LW on Zetterberg's line. I ended up leaving him as a LW. If you guys disagree, we can always remove him from this poll.

GFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Sureves

Kovy fo sho.

Next one is interesting between Sedin and Ovy...I'll have to think about it while I wait.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:18 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Scoring at the 2nd highest rate among LWs over the course of the most recent season, and outscoring all but a few despite only playing 66 games certainly does put him in the conversation for top 20 LWs.

It's funny because Jamie Benn scored 60 points for the first time in his career this past season and he's hailed as a God here, in fact he was voted the 29th best overall forward in the entire NHL, over the likes of Brad Richards, Patrice Bergeron, and Patrik Elias despite just scoring 60 points for the first time, like Lupul. It's okay to rave about him and call him a top 30 forward in the entire NHL but god forbid somebody suggests Joffrey Lupul is top 20 in his position.
I'll be the first to admit that HFBoards has an unhealthy affinity for young players, but Benn is leagues better than Lupul. Maybe not 29th in the NHL but certainly at least a couple tiers better.

Benn handles the toughest minutes on the team: his most common 5v5 matchups were Kopitar, Brown, Thornton, Pavelski, and Couture.

Lupul gets relatively easy minutes; his 5 most common 5v5 matchups include Tanner Glass and Erik Condra.

Lupul is also given a ton of offensive zone starts (more than any other Leaf forward). Despite starting most of his shifts in the offensive zone and not facing tough competition, he was heavily outshot while he was on the ice and through an unsustainable on-ice shooting percentage, managed to outscore the competition at 5v5 by just 2 goals.

Despite taking more defensive zone starts than offensive, and facing the top competition other teams could muster, the Dallas Stars actually significantly outshot their opponent while Benn was on the ice (562-500), and outscored their opponent (56-42).

Lupul spent most of his ice time with Phil Kessel (855 minutes at 5v5). When Kessel and Lupul were together, the Leafs took 49.6% of the shots - they were treading water. When Kessel was away from Lupul, the Leafs took 48.8% of the shots - they were close to 50%. When Lupul was away from Kessel? He sank like an anchor. The Leafs took 39.4% of the shots.

Oh, and Benn is what, 4 or 5 years younger?

Last year, Kessel drove the bus for the Leafs offensively and Lupul was along for the ride. Everything Lupul contributes offensively, he gives up at the other end of the ice and then some.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:02 AM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
I'll be the first to admit that HFBoards has an unhealthy affinity for young players, but Benn is leagues better than Lupul. Maybe not 29th in the NHL but certainly at least a couple tiers better.

Benn handles the toughest minutes on the team: his most common 5v5 matchups were Kopitar, Brown, Thornton, Pavelski, and Couture.

Lupul gets relatively easy minutes; his 5 most common 5v5 matchups include Tanner Glass and Erik Condra.

Lupul is also given a ton of offensive zone starts (more than any other Leaf forward). Despite starting most of his shifts in the offensive zone and not facing tough competition, he was heavily outshot while he was on the ice and through an unsustainable on-ice shooting percentage, managed to outscore the competition at 5v5 by just 2 goals.

Despite taking more defensive zone starts than offensive, and facing the top competition other teams could muster, the Dallas Stars actually significantly outshot their opponent while Benn was on the ice (562-500), and outscored their opponent (56-42).

Lupul spent most of his ice time with Phil Kessel (855 minutes at 5v5). When Kessel and Lupul were together, the Leafs took 49.6% of the shots - they were treading water. When Kessel was away from Lupul, the Leafs took 48.8% of the shots - they were close to 50%. When Lupul was away from Kessel? He sank like an anchor. The Leafs took 39.4% of the shots.

Oh, and Benn is what, 4 or 5 years younger?

Last year, Kessel drove the bus for the Leafs offensively and Lupul was along for the ride. Everything Lupul contributes offensively, he gives up at the other end of the ice and then some.
Lupul was given easy minutes? His Corsi Rel QoC is higher than Benn's (and Benn's Corsi Rel QoT is much higher) just looking at 5 most common 5 on 5 matchups is asinine. Age is irrelevant, this is about who is best right now, not who you would most want on your team.

Anyways, the point is not Lupul vs Benn, obviously Benn is the better player, but the point is that Lupul being excluded as an option completely just because he hit 60 points for the first time is insanely hypocritical considering Benn was voted the 29th best forward in the entire league over superior and more proven players. Lupul played better than almost every guy on this list last season, it's a joke if he isn't included.