HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Best playoffs of the last 5 years?

View Poll Results: Best playoffs of the last 5 years?
2008 11 6.59%
2009 27 16.17%
2010 56 33.53%
2011 55 32.93%
2012 18 10.78%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-17-2012, 04:29 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
2010 was crazy, I am pretty sure the CHI vs VAN series was crazy every game, went to game 7 if I can remember right. Thats where the recent hawks v canucks new rivalry was born?
That one was only six games. The 2011 series was the exciting 7 game one.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:03 PM
MastuhNinks

Probably 2011.

Vancouver/Chicago, Boston/Montreal, Philadelphia/Buffalo, Pittsburgh/Tampa Bay, San Jose/LA, Nashville/Anaheim, San Jose/Detroit, Boston/Tampa Bay, Vancouver/San Jose and Vancouver/Boston. All great series IMO, it was just insane. If I recall correctly it was a record number of overtime games.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:29 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50

That first round series between Chicago/Vancouver was the best hockey I have ever seen since the Tampa Bay/Calgary series in 04.

Chicago/Vancouver was more hectic series than the finals. And I think we would have seen a LARGER mob from both cities looooool.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Zombotron
WD-57

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
Thats where the recent hawks v canucks new rivalry was born?
2009, not 2010.

Zombotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Pyth

Pens x Flyers... hockey orgasm

Pyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Intact

2009 for those who forget was incredible, the best Stanley Cup finals Detroit-Pittsburgh II, best series post-lockout Pittsburgh vs Washington, and personal favourite series Detroit-Anaheim II.

EDIT: forgot Vancouver-Chicago I

Intact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:40 PM
bp spec

2010. They were something special.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:41 PM
76ftw

2010. My favorite team is Montreal and my second favorite is Chicago.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Trap Jesus

I think 2010 almost had too much parity to be the best playoffs (I look at 2012 the same way), and the last couple rounds weren't the greatest. 2011 was great the whole way through (7 game 7s, and at least 1 in every round, as opposed to 2010's 4 game 7s, all in the first 2 rounds).

2012 was by far the worst for me. I already found myself losing a bit of interest in the 2nd round, and was almost completely disinterested by the Conference Finals.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:05 PM
M Gaz
Au revoir Shosanna!

2010 because there were no Rangers to give me a heart attack every game. Besides, the Caps and Pens were both humiliated by an 8th seed and we witnessed a ****ing the bed of epic proportions by the Bruins. And an O6 team won the Cup. Nothing wrong with that.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:16 PM
ricky0034

voted for 2008 but i'm obviously incredibly biased

2012 was the worst AINEC though,just incredibly boring all around

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533

1st round:
Caps-Rangers. Ovechkin and the Caps offence vs. Lundqvist. For a while it looks like Henrik could pull off the upset, going up 3-1, then the Caps chase him early two straight games to tie the series. Finally, an aging Fedorov playing in his last playoffs snipes the series winner with 5 minutes to go in the third in Game 7.
Bruins-Habs. OK, this one was over quickly, but that's the greatest rivalry of all time right there.
Devils-Hurricanes. Pretty evenly matched teams, playing a pair of overtime games in Games 2 and 3. In Game 5, one of the best goalie duels in recent memory, Brodeur gets the 1-0 shutout win. Ward returns the favour with a Game 6 shutout. Game 7 has a crazy finish, Devils up 3-2 with two minutes to play, then the roof caves in. Eric Staal beats Marty for the series winner with 30 seconds to play.
Penguins-Flyers. Divisional rivals. Lots of scoring. Pens go up 3-1 in the series, Flyers dominate Game 5, and race to an early 3-0 lead in Game 6. Then Crosby and company come alive and come all the way back to win 5-3 and take the series.
Sharks-Ducks. Thornton's squad goes down to the brick wall that is Hiller, who has 2 shutouts and allows just 10 goals in the series. Somehow the Ducks, 26 points behind the Sharks in the regular season, manage the upset.
Wings-Blue Jackets. Pretty uneventful, sweep where the Blue Jackets never had a prayer.
Canucks-Blues. The games were all close, but Canucks get the sweep, sealing the deal when Burrows scores in the final minute of OT in Game 4.
Hawks-Flames. The beginning of Chicago's high-flying young offence, putting 21 pucks in the net in 6 games against the Flames.

2nd round
Bruins-Canes. Canes go up 3-1, and Bruins come back and ... almost win the series. Scott Walker (of all people) scores the OT winner in Game 7 to put an end to Tim Thomas' amazing season.
Penguins-Caps. One of the best series I've ever seen. Caps go up 2-0 early, as Ovechkin and Crosby both get hat tricks in Game 2. Caps score on their first shot of Game 3, but Pens come back to win on Letang's OT goal. Caps score on their first shot of Game 4, but Pens come back to win again. Then the teams split a pair of OT games. It comes down to Game 7, where only one team shows up. When the dust settles Pittsburgh has won it, with Ovi and Sid both getting 8 goals along the way.
Wings-Ducks. Anaheim's underdog run continues. Lidstrom's final-minute goal wins Game 1 for Detroit, but the Ducks respond by winning a 3OT beauty. Ducks eventually force a Game 7, and it takes a Dan Cleary goal with 3 minutes left to finally win the series for Detroit.
Canucks-Hawks. Full of suspense. Vancouver had a lead every game, but somehow Chicago won the series. It ends with the Hawks putting 3 goals past Luongo in a five-minute period to win 7-5 in Game 6.

Pens-Canes. Carolina did their best, and they actually had a first-period lead in 3 of the 4 games. But Malkin gets 6 goals in the series and that just proves to be too much, sweep to Pittsburgh.
Wings-Hawks. 3 overtime games, but in the end the Hawks' surprising run is at an end, killed by Darren Helm's OT winner after an exciting Game 5.

Pens-Wings. Down 2-0 and 2-1 in Game 3, the Pens come back with a Gonchar third-period winning goal, and an incredible SHG from Jordan Staal in Game 4. After Detroit gets a blowout win in Game 5, the Pens get a pair of narrow wins in Games 6 and 7. Fleury stops Cleary on a breakaway in the third in Game 6, and stops Lidstrom with 2 seconds left in Game 7 to clinch the Cup.

Almost every series was exciting that year, and it ended in the best post-lockout final.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:00 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
2008 and 2009 are tied, and my team won in 2012. When I think playoffs, I will always remember Zetterberg, Crosby, Franzen destroying the helpless Avs, a Canes team you never could be sure you could seal the deal against *unless you are the *** Malkin Penguins and destroy them*, Ovechkin and the underacheiving Caps getting their best shot, you had the Blackhawks around the corner (before their cap crisis was even created) and you had a bunch of young teams making the playoffs for the first time in a while, the Blues and the Bluejackets. Oh yeah don't forget the Ducks, they were always fishing around their for a win, and the Sharks, who you knew would never make it past the 2nd round.

Nowadays the Red Wings look a lot more like the Dead Things, Crosby's injured and the Pens are having mediocre playoffs, the Caps are lost, none of the so-called inheritors of the Red Wings' title have managed to live up to the hype (Pits, Chicago, San Jose, Vancouver, even Nashville to some extent) and now we suffer the blight of parity.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:01 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post

1st round:
Caps-Rangers. Ovechkin and the Caps offence vs. Lundqvist. For a while it looks like Henrik could pull off the upset, going up 3-1, then the Caps chase him early two straight games to tie the series. Finally, an aging Fedorov playing in his last playoffs snipes the series winner with 5 minutes to go in the third in Game 7.
Bruins-Habs. OK, this one was over quickly, but that's the greatest rivalry of all time right there.
Devils-Hurricanes. Pretty evenly matched teams, playing a pair of overtime games in Games 2 and 3. In Game 5, one of the best goalie duels in recent memory, Brodeur gets the 1-0 shutout win. Ward returns the favour with a Game 6 shutout. Game 7 has a crazy finish, Devils up 3-2 with two minutes to play, then the roof caves in. Eric Staal beats Marty for the series winner with 30 seconds to play.
Penguins-Flyers. Divisional rivals. Lots of scoring. Pens go up 3-1 in the series, Flyers dominate Game 5, and race to an early 3-0 lead in Game 6. Then Crosby and company come alive and come all the way back to win 5-3 and take the series.
Sharks-Ducks. Thornton's squad goes down to the brick wall that is Hiller, who has 2 shutouts and allows just 10 goals in the series. Somehow the Ducks, 26 points behind the Sharks in the regular season, manage the upset.
Wings-Blue Jackets. Pretty uneventful, sweep where the Blue Jackets never had a prayer.
Canucks-Blues. The games were all close, but Canucks get the sweep, sealing the deal when Burrows scores in the final minute of OT in Game 4.
Hawks-Flames. The beginning of Chicago's high-flying young offence, putting 21 pucks in the net in 6 games against the Flames.

2nd round
Bruins-Canes. Canes go up 3-1, and Bruins come back and ... almost win the series. Scott Walker (of all people) scores the OT winner in Game 7 to put an end to Tim Thomas' amazing season.
Penguins-Caps. One of the best series I've ever seen. Caps go up 2-0 early, as Ovechkin and Crosby both get hat tricks in Game 2. Caps score on their first shot of Game 3, but Pens come back to win on Letang's OT goal. Caps score on their first shot of Game 4, but Pens come back to win again. Then the teams split a pair of OT games. It comes down to Game 7, where only one team shows up. When the dust settles Pittsburgh has won it, with Ovi and Sid both getting 8 goals along the way.
Wings-Ducks. Anaheim's underdog run continues. Lidstrom's final-minute goal wins Game 1 for Detroit, but the Ducks respond by winning a 3OT beauty. Ducks eventually force a Game 7, and it takes a Dan Cleary goal with 3 minutes left to finally win the series for Detroit.
Canucks-Hawks. Full of suspense. Vancouver had a lead every game, but somehow Chicago won the series. It ends with the Hawks putting 3 goals past Luongo in a five-minute period to win 7-5 in Game 6.

Pens-Canes. Carolina did their best, and they actually had a first-period lead in 3 of the 4 games. But Malkin gets 6 goals in the series and that just proves to be too much, sweep to Pittsburgh.
Wings-Hawks. 3 overtime games, but in the end the Hawks' surprising run is at an end, killed by Darren Helm's OT winner after an exciting Game 5.

Pens-Wings. Down 2-0 and 2-1 in Game 3, the Pens come back with a Gonchar third-period winning goal, and an incredible SHG from Jordan Staal in Game 4. After Detroit gets a blowout win in Game 5, the Pens get a pair of narrow wins in Games 6 and 7. Fleury stops Cleary on a breakaway in the third in Game 6, and stops Lidstrom with 2 seconds left in Game 7 to clinch the Cup.

Almost every series was exciting that year, and it ended in the best post-lockout final.
I guess my long-winded praise of the 08-09 is already late. Also don't forget a few more, Richards' first few playoffs, Malkin's shorthanded goal where he slapped it in from the circles (that was so awesome), and yes, that Canes run was magical. Man who would have guessed those Bruins would have won 2 years later? At that point they looked like consistent paper tigers

Old
12-18-2012, 12:12 PM
capitalsrock

Best playoffs for me was 2013 when the NHL resumed and my team won the cup

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Luigi Lemieux

2010 was probably the most compelling, though you could make a case for 2009 or 2011. All i know is that 2012 was by far the worst.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:18 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

2011 for me.

Seeing the Predators finally win a series was special. I'll never forget my rage when the Canucks beat them AND made the finals but having the Bruins come in and beat the favorites as well as all those "bring the cup to Canada" idiots was the greatest thing ever.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
Best playoffs for me was 2013 when the NHL resumed and my team won the cup
Why do you have Capitals in your name when that obviously makes you a Habs fan?

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
2010, no doubt.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

2009 had the best playoffs in general (despite the end result. )

2008 was fun for Detroit fans. Nobody stood a chance... Well, after Hasek was pulled in the Nashville series.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 01:24 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
2009 had the best playoffs in general (despite the end result. )

2008 was fun for Detroit fans. Nobody stood a chance... Well, after Hasek was pulled in the Nashville series.
That reminds me of chris mason

Old
12-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Hawkaholic

Homer vote for 2010, but even if I wasn't a fan of the Hawks, I would probably go with that. It just had a lot of goal scoring and crazy results.

Last year was BY FAR the worst playoffs out of the last 5.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 02:27 PM
the

The Halak run + Chicago win = Best playoff last 5 years

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 03:30 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

2010. That Chicago team was one of my favourite teams ever, I loved watching every game they played. Then there was also the epic Philly comeback, watching them beat the Bruins and Habs was nice.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post
My favorite is 2012 and it's not even close. My team had its deepest playoff run ever by far and I saw my first live playoff games (gm 5 vs NSH and gm 1+2 vs LAK).
Your team was good and the dedication of the players like Korprikoski and numerous others was admirable.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote