HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Pierre McGuire

Old
12-19-2012, 09:09 AM
leeroggy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Russell Crowe View Post
I like Pierre. He's passionate about hockey, dedicated and very knowledgeable, but at the same time a somewhat comical character. He's entertaining.
I happen to love Pierre because of his passion and knowledge but also because he was freshmen when I was a senior at Hobart College.

Gotta stick up for the Statesmen!! Pierre must be thrilled - Hobart is ranked #4 in the nation in D3 hockey right now. It was just getting going as a varsity sport when he was there.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:10 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFan7 View Post
I wish TSN would have fired Miller instead of Mcguire.
TSN didn't fire McGuire. Pierre left to work for NBC

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Caroline Says ll
Bismarck

Send a message via ICQ to Caroline Says ll
Pierre is awful. I don't care how many junior coaches he knows, or what players have been coached by who god knows when. That is not important for being a colour commentator. I want unbiased break down of plays once the whistle has been called, and not interrupting Gord Miller to tell me that some random player "just gets it"

His sheer bias for Canada in past tournaments is awful. He acts as if every single Canadian player is going to be an NHL player, and gushes over their pride when they pump out the leaf on their jersey when they score a goal. But when Russians won gold two years ago, he was angry that they were celebrating close by the Canadians, and said something along the lines that "the Canadians are going to remember that next year". So his bias for Canada turns him into a very unprofessional analyst, as his double standards are clear in his calling of games.

Typically in these tournaments at the start of a game, once a Canadian player makes a great play he will focus on that player the rest of the game to dote on, ignoring all mistakes, but overrating any decent play he makes. So you get biased, not fully accurate assessments of players as well from Pierre. Sure he knows some neat trivia though.

Caroline Says ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Fulcrum

As colorful (or annoying, whichever) as this guy can be, I have never learnt anything new from him except some weird and very cheesy phrases (Power presence??). On top of that, a lot of the information he has on the European players is either inaccurate, outdated or tweaked in his own words to sound like something it is not.

His continuous " I have met so and so and they are wonderful people.. " and " I know So and so and they are a tremendous person..." At first you're like "oh ok, maybe that is so". But he will talk like that about EVERYONE, every friggin time. So when you hear it again, you can predict almost the exact words he is going to say. It's like, "ye heard that one before Pierre, here we go again- let's hear about your amazing connections and relationships". Mr. Goody goody know it all, how about some actual Hockey?

Last edited by Fulcrum: 12-19-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:39 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

I'll never forget him doing color commentary for water polo during the Olympics

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 03:45 PM
phillipsj89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline Says ll View Post
Pierre is awful. I don't care how many junior coaches he knows, or what players have been coached by who god knows when. That is not important for being a colour commentator. I want unbiased break down of plays once the whistle has been called, and not interrupting Gord Miller to tell me that some random player "just gets it"

His sheer bias for Canada in past tournaments is awful. He acts as if every single Canadian player is going to be an NHL player, and gushes over their pride when they pump out the leaf on their jersey when they score a goal. But when Russians won gold two years ago, he was angry that they were celebrating close by the Canadians, and said something along the lines that "the Canadians are going to remember that next year". So his bias for Canada turns him into a very unprofessional analyst, as his double standards are clear in his calling of games.

Typically in these tournaments at the start of a game, once a Canadian player makes a great play he will focus on that player the rest of the game to dote on, ignoring all mistakes, but overrating any decent play he makes. So you get biased, not fully accurate assessments of players as well from Pierre. Sure he knows some neat trivia though.
Your biased against Pierre obviously molds your opinion. You fail to see the good things he does.

phillipsj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
If Pierre does any games for the WJC this year... Does anybody have any Pierre-related drinking games?

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:07 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I'll never forget him doing color commentary for water polo during the Olympics
Did this really happen? Is there a video?

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:13 PM
iPunch
50 Mission Cap

Always loved McGuire, much to the chagrin of many. His excitement for the game is contagious.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
Did this really happen? Is there a video?
Yep. I'm on my phone so I won't code the video, but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl5Ac...e_gdata_player

Classic Pierre

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 11:55 PM
JAS 39 Gripen

Hes way better than poor, st st stu stu stuttering professor Ferraro

JAS 39 Gripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 12:58 AM
robdicks

Miller and Pierre were an awesome World Junior tandem. I missed it last year a lot. Everyone hates on Pierre, but the guy knows his stuff, and he is at the very least exciting.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS 39 Gripen View Post
Hes way better than poor, st st stu stu stuttering professor Ferraro
Ferraro was putting me to sleep today. He doesn't have to be giddy like Pierre, but how about some emotion.

Miller & Pierre were a good tandem. I miss the energy Pierre brought.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 05:36 AM
RorschachWJK

Terrible, god awful commentator - I will not miss his biased and inaccurate babbling.

RorschachWJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 07:36 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Russell Crowe View Post
I like Pierre. He's passionate about hockey, dedicated and very knowledgeable, but at the same time a somewhat comical character. He's entertaining.
Totally agree with this and other Pierre supporters. I was sad when he went to NBC. He makes the games very enjoyable.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 07:56 AM
ODAAT

Don`t miss Pierre at all, Ferraro still a work in progress but I love his point of view from a former players eye, Pierre is all razzle dazzle, yelling and screaming. And his insistence on pronounciating each and every players name ie: Douglas Hamilton rather than Dougie is just nausiatingly irritating.

EVERY player, in Pierre`s mind, during the WJHC`s is going onto a stellar NHL career, give me Ferraro, I`ll make it through the rough patches he has while still learning

Can`t question Pierre`s passion but, everyone has their likes/dislikes when it comes to analysts and he just isn`t my cup of tea

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote