HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Maria von Trapp, 99

Old
02-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Acadmus

vCash: 500
Maria von Trapp, 99

No, not the nun-turned matriarch...Maria was portrayed as Louisa in The Sound of Music (the second youngest daughter). She's the last of the singing von Trapp family that fled Nazi-occupied Austria in 1938 and eventually settled in Stowe, Vermont (I finally visited the lodge last year - it's located in perhaps one of the most picturesque locations in the entire state, just absolutely beautiful views from there).

The brother mentioned in the article below was born in the U.S. and therefore not portrayed in the musical.

http://www.wptz.com/news/vermont-new...?absolute=true

02-24-2014, 08:57 AM
Acadmus

Interesting little tidbit on the radio...Maria's brother said it was surprising that Maria lived the longest of all the original siblings, as she always had a weak heart, and that was the reason her father decided to hire her step-mother Maria in the first place.

Good move, apparently.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 05:39 PM
kihei

vCash: 4500
I wonder if they will bury her in New Jersey.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I wonder if they will bury her in New Jersey.
No, the family has a plot right there on their estate in Stowe. The Captain, Maria, and all the kids are buried there. I believe she and I want to say two siblings born in the U.S. (at least one though) will be the last buried there.

Old
02-24-2014, 09:32 PM
kihei

vCash: 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
No, the family has a plot right there on their estate in Stowe. The Captain, Maria, and all the kids are buried there. I believe she and I want to say two siblings born in the U.S. (at least one though) will be the last buried there.
Trapp=New Jersey Devils.

A lame attempt at a play on words that was in bad taste, but I thought getting to 99, she wouldn't have minded too much.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:49 AM
Osprey

If she was 99, then she was born in 1914, most likely, putting her at 23-24 at the time of the Nazi annexation of Austria (in 1938), which is when the von Trapps fled. I believe that she was portrayed as about 15 in the movie. I guess that the movie (and, maybe, the stage performance before it) wanted them all to be children for a better story.

Last edited by Osprey: 02-25-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:27 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Trapp=New Jersey Devils.

A lame attempt at a play on words that was in bad taste, but I thought getting to 99, she wouldn't have minded too much.
No, the problem was I wasn't thinking hockey

Old
02-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
If she was 99, then she was born in 1914, most likely, putting her at 23-24 at the time of the Nazi annexation of Austria, which is when the von Trapps fled. I believe that she was portrayed as about 15 in the movie. I guess that the movie (and, maybe, the stage performance before it) wanted them all to be children for a better story.
Yes, it was a fictionalized accounting (Louisa as the second youngest was more like 10). If you read up on the von Trapps, you'll see how much of it (including all the kids' names) was made up for the musical, though it was all based on their true story. Upon reaching the U.S., two of the boys if I recall even enlisted in the U.S. Army and fought the Germans.

Old
02-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

One offshoot of great-grandchildren - grandchildren of Werner, portrayed as Kurt in the movie/musical - are performers.

http://www.vontrappchildren.com/

Old
02-25-2014, 12:06 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
I had no idea that the movie was based on real events :O

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Yes, it was a fictionalized accounting (Louisa as the second youngest was more like 10). If you read up on the von Trapps, you'll see how much of it (including all the kids' names) was made up for the musical, though it was all based on their true story. Upon reaching the U.S., two of the boys if I recall even enlisted in the U.S. Army and fought the Germans.
FYI, the link that you provided says that she was the second oldest, not second youngest. If she had been the second youngest, at 23-24, then the stage and movie versions would've really distorted things, turning all grown men and women into children .

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:18 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
FYI, the link that you provided says that she was the second oldest, not second youngest. If she had been the second youngest, at 23-24, then the stage and movie versions would've really distorted things, turning all grown men and women into children .
I misread a lot lately, guess it's age.

EDIT: in my defense, WPTZ actually edited the article to include more content, so maybe they had it wrong at first anyway maybe.