HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012-13 MLB Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

vCash: 500
why should they be punished? The cap hit thing is ridiculous. You think they would rather not have a clean A-Rod than nothing at all? PEDs or not the guy is a great talent, one of the best in the game ever, even his glove would be a huge upgrade than what they have now.

Old
08-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGreene06 View Post
You mean like a "cap hit" without actually paying, right? I actually asked earlier if that number stays on the payroll even if he does get banned. Emperoreddy said it doesn't.

I am trying to find some actual source and proof that this is the case, but this seems to be pretty unprecedented. Doesn't help that like no teams are even near the luxury tax so there are few places to see for sure.

Still I also don't see any proof of a "luxury tax hit" for early termination of contracts, etc. I am like 90% sure that it only takes into account what players you are paying on that given year and that is it. If the contract is terminated for whatever reason (retires, these kind of super suspensions) the money is just gone.

Reason is the tax limit isn't any kind of cap at all. System is beyond broken and this year is the perfect examples. The whole way the Yanks basically stopped spending so they can reset the tax penalty and then spend like drunken sailors next year. Mean while you had teams like the Jays and Dodgers spent like drunken sailors THIS year. Then on the other hand you have teams that don't even bother to spend at all.

Maybe if Arod is banned something will change because it isn't fair that the Yanks get to go on a spending binge because Arod finally proved he is a huge *******

Old
08-04-2013, 01:22 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown Mike View Post
why should they be punished? The cap hit thing is ridiculous. You think they would rather not have a clean A-Rod than nothing at all? PEDs or not the guy is a great talent, one of the best in the game ever, even his glove would be a huge upgrade than what they have now.
I agree. Teams should have every right to believe their players conduct themselves properly. When a player signs his contract he is agreeing to abide by the team rules as well as league rules.

Also, the Yankees would much rather PAY a healthy and clean A-Rod than to NOT PAY a broken down, roided, banned-for-life A-Rod. The Yankees care more about winning than they do their own financial situation.

Old
08-04-2013, 01:39 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown Mike View Post
A clean A-Rod (and one that's 38 years old and broken down) stinks and isn't worth a fraction of his contract. Do you think it's an accident the Yankees are dragging their feet as long as they can on his return despite the fact even 'this' A-Rod would be better than their sub replacement level infield this year?

The whole thing smells collusive imo. You say it's punishment enough that the Yankees are going without the player...is it really punishment if they don't want him around to begin with? They're probably begging Selig to put him out for good.

Old
08-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
@ESPNNYYankees: Girardi: I have Alex pencilled in to tomorrow's lineup”

Old
08-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
A clean A-Rod (and one that's 38 years old and broken down) stinks and isn't worth a fraction of his contract. Do you think it's an accident the Yankees are dragging their feet as long as they can on his return despite the fact even 'this' A-Rod would be better than their sub replacement level infield this year?

The whole thing smells collusive imo. You say it's punishment enough that the Yankees are going without the player...is it really punishment if they don't want him around to begin with? They're probably begging Selig to put him out for good.
It is actually easy, of course they are dragging their feet because even without the suspension if A-rod doesn't come back this year the Yanks get 80% of his salary back in insurance.

Also I hope Giradi has an eraser because he will need it.

TG got it right, Selig needs to stop dragging his damn feet and do this already. He is making something bad look even worse.

Old
08-04-2013, 02:29 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:

A clean and healthy Rodriguez is someone the Yankees would pay for. The problem is that his last healthy season was 2007. I believe a healthy A-Rod is good for 30 homers.

Old
08-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

http://deadspin.com/the-yankees-expe...eup-1022633975

Guess I was wrong, A-rod will play tomorrow. What the hell is going on. Is this a plea or was Selig blowing a ton of hot air and didn't actually have a leg to stand on? Obviously there wasn't a deal if A-rod is going to fight the suspension, so it seems like they didn't have a leg to stand on.

Old
08-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

Quote:

a 38 year old A-Rod is better than 65% of the starting third baseman in the game today. No I don't think it's an accident they dragged their feet because he isn't worth his contract now, He's still more than likely worth some of it though. They want to save money because the Steinbrenner sons don't have the will their father did and want the team to be a profitable entity in it's own.

Would it be fair if the Devils had to pay Kovalchuk (cap hit) his deal when he isn't playing for the club? No. If they didn't really want the player back they wouldn't put him through the rehab stints two times. They want the player, but they want to find a way out of his deal because he isn't worth it even though there is no salary cap.

Old
08-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
ARod right now is better than the turds they've been throwing out there at 3B.

Old
08-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
ARod right now is better than the turds they've been throwing out there at 3B.
Well he is coming back tomorrow it seems so we will see if he can still play.

Old
08-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Well he is coming back tomorrow it seems so we will see if he can still play.
From what I saw this weekend, on and off the field, he still can.

Old
08-05-2013, 12:08 AM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Honestly I do feel bad for A-rod a bit. Don't get me wrong he brought all of this on himself, but Selig and his crew are proving to be giant dirtbags of their own. Their case is dirty, their methods are dirty. I mean they are trying to just turn him into an example and don't care if they have to break their own rules in the CBA or the drug policy.

Old
08-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Looks like A-Rod will play today

If there was ever a day I didnt want a rain out, this would be the one

Old
08-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Nick0930

He'll be suspended during the warmups.

Old
08-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
He'll be suspended during the warmups.
Wont matter. He will appeal it, and the MLB said if he appeals it , he will be allowed to play today.

Old
08-05-2013, 12:24 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Wont matter. He will appeal it, and the MLB said if he appeals it , he will be allowed to play today.
Which is absolutely ridiculous.

Old
08-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
why? thats how appeals work, in any sport.

Old
08-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
It how appeals under the drug policy work. Any of the players that are getting suspended could play today if they chose to appeal.

Old
08-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
It how appeals under the drug policy work. Any of the players that are getting suspended could play today if they chose to appeal.
Doesnt make much sense to appeal for any player. Cruz and Peralta can get this out of the way now and be back in the playoffs.

Old
08-05-2013, 01:03 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:
why? thats how appeals work, in any sport.
Quote:
I don't care how appeals work, but if you're being suspended for something, whether appealing it or not, you should not be able to play until everything is cleared, guilty or not guilty.

That's just my feelings on it.

Old
08-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
I don't care how appeals work, but if you're being suspended for something, whether appealing it or not, you should not be able to play until everything is cleared, guilty or not guilty.

so "guilty until proven innocent" then?

and no, I am not saying ARod is innocent.

Old
08-05-2013, 01:11 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:
so "guilty until proven innocent" then?

and no, I am not saying ARod is innocent.
There's obviously a reason that he's being suspended...he can appeal it, however I don't feel it's right for him to continue playing while he appeals.

Why do you think he should be allowed to continue playing? And I'm not just limiting this to A-Rod either...any player in this position.

Old
08-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Scott04

Quote:

Well your feelings are completely void of the sense of fairness. Someone is appealing a punishment, yet you want them to still be serving that punishment. If it were to be overturned, you're saying you still want them to have served part of a punishment that was voided.... Gotcha.

Old
08-05-2013, 01:14 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Well your feelings are completely void of the sense of fairness. Someone is appealing a punishment, yet you want them to still be serving that punishment. If it were to be overturned, you're saying you still want them to have served part of a punishment that was voided.... Gotcha.
I'm not saying my word is the be all end all...I think I'm allowed to have this opinion and would say that there are people that would agree with me on this.

Closed Thread