HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012-13 MLB Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-04-2013, 12:58 PM
  #551
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro
 
Officer Rod Farva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
why should they be punished? The cap hit thing is ridiculous. You think they would rather not have a clean A-Rod than nothing at all? PEDs or not the guy is a great talent, one of the best in the game ever, even his glove would be a huge upgrade than what they have now.

Officer Rod Farva is offline  
Old
08-04-2013, 01:20 PM
  #552
Emperoreddy
Moderator
King of Pirates
 
Emperoreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey, Exit 16E
Country: United States
Posts: 10,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGreene06 View Post
You mean like a "cap hit" without actually paying, right? I actually asked earlier if that number stays on the payroll even if he does get banned. Emperoreddy said it doesn't.

I am trying to find some actual source and proof that this is the case, but this seems to be pretty unprecedented. Doesn't help that like no teams are even near the luxury tax so there are few places to see for sure.

Still I also don't see any proof of a "luxury tax hit" for early termination of contracts, etc. I am like 90% sure that it only takes into account what players you are paying on that given year and that is it. If the contract is terminated for whatever reason (retires, these kind of super suspensions) the money is just gone.

Reason is the tax limit isn't any kind of cap at all. System is beyond broken and this year is the perfect examples. The whole way the Yanks basically stopped spending so they can reset the tax penalty and then spend like drunken sailors next year. Mean while you had teams like the Jays and Dodgers spent like drunken sailors THIS year. Then on the other hand you have teams that don't even bother to spend at all.

Maybe if Arod is banned something will change because it isn't fair that the Yanks get to go on a spending binge because Arod finally proved he is a huge *******

Emperoreddy is offline  
Old
08-04-2013, 01:22 PM
  #553
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 37,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown Mike View Post
why should they be punished? The cap hit thing is ridiculous. You think they would rather not have a clean A-Rod than nothing at all? PEDs or not the guy is a great talent, one of the best in the game ever, even his glove would be a huge upgrade than what they have now.
I agree. Teams should have every right to believe their players conduct themselves properly. When a player signs his contract he is agreeing to abide by the team rules as well as league rules.

Also, the Yankees would much rather PAY a healthy and clean A-Rod than to NOT PAY a broken down, roided, banned-for-life A-Rod. The Yankees care more about winning than they do their own financial situation.

MJB Devils23* is offline  
Old
08-04-2013, 01:39 PM
  #554
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 21,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown Mike View Post
why should they be punished? The cap hit thing is ridiculous. You think they would rather not have a clean A-Rod than nothing at all? PEDs or not the guy is a great talent, one of the best in the game ever, even his glove would be a huge upgrade than what they have now.
A clean A-Rod (and one that's 38 years old and broken down) stinks and isn't worth a fraction of his contract. Do you think it's an accident the Yankees are dragging their feet as long as they can on his return despite the fact even 'this' A-Rod would be better than their sub replacement level infield this year?

The whole thing smells collusive imo. You say it's punishment enough that the Yankees are going without the player...is it really punishment if they don't want him around to begin with? They're probably begging Selig to put him out for good.

NJDevs26 is offline  
Old
08-04-2013, 01:51 PM
  #555
Devils Trap
Cory's Better
 
Devils Trap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Poland
Posts: 22,728
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
@ESPNNYYankees: Girardi: I have Alex pencilled in to tomorrow's lineup”

Devils Trap is online now  
Old
08-04-2013, 02:15 PM
  #556
Emperoreddy
Moderator
King of Pirates
 
Emperoreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey, Exit 16E
Country: United States
Posts: 10,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
A clean A-Rod (and one that's 38 years old and broken down) stinks and isn't worth a fraction of his contract. Do you think it's an accident the Yankees are dragging their feet as long as they can on his return despite the fact even 'this' A-Rod would be better than their sub replacement level infield this year?

The whole thing smells collusive imo. You say it's punishment enough that the Yankees are going without the player...is it really punishment if they don't want him around to begin with? They're probably begging Selig to put him out for good.
It is actually easy, of course they are dragging their feet because even without the suspension if A-rod doesn't come back this year the Yanks get 80% of his salary back in insurance.

Also I hope Giradi has an eraser because he will need it.

TG got it right, Selig needs to stop dragging his damn feet and do this already. He is making something bad look even worse.

Emperoreddy is offline  
Old
08-04-2013, 02:29 PM
  #557
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 37,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
A clean A-Rod (and one that's 38 years old and broken down) stinks and isn't worth a fraction of his contract. Do you think it's an accident the Yankees are dragging their feet as long as they can on his return despite the fact even 'this' A-Rod would be better than their sub replacement level infield this year?

The whole thing smells collusive imo. You say it's punishment enough that the Yankees are going without the player...is it really punishment if they don't want him around to begin with? They're probably begging Selig to put him out for good.
A clean and healthy Rodriguez is someone the Yankees would pay for. The problem is that his last healthy season was 2007. I believe a healthy A-Rod is good for 30 homers.

MJB Devils23* is offline  
Old
08-04-2013, 06:42 PM
  #558
Emperoreddy
Moderator
King of Pirates
 
Emperoreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey, Exit 16E
Country: United States
Posts: 10,264
vCash: 500
http://deadspin.com/the-yankees-expe...eup-1022633975

Guess I was wrong, A-rod will play tomorrow. What the hell is going on. Is this a plea or was Selig blowing a ton of hot air and didn't actually have a leg to stand on? Obviously there wasn't a deal if A-rod is going to fight the suspension, so it seems like they didn't have a leg to stand on.

Emperoreddy is offline  
Old
08-04-2013, 09:30 PM
  #559
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro
 
Officer Rod Farva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
A clean A-Rod (and one that's 38 years old and broken down) stinks and isn't worth a fraction of his contract. Do you think it's an accident the Yankees are dragging their feet as long as they can on his return despite the fact even 'this' A-Rod would be better than their sub replacement level infield this year?

The whole thing smells collusive imo. You say it's punishment enough that the Yankees are going without the player...is it really punishment if they don't want him around to begin with? They're probably begging Selig to put him out for good.
a 38 year old A-Rod is better than 65% of the starting third baseman in the game today. No I don't think it's an accident they dragged their feet because he isn't worth his contract now, He's still more than likely worth some of it though. They want to save money because the Steinbrenner sons don't have the will their father did and want the team to be a profitable entity in it's own.

Would it be fair if the Devils had to pay Kovalchuk (cap hit) his deal when he isn't playing for the club? No. If they didn't really want the player back they wouldn't put him through the rehab stints two times. They want the player, but they want to find a way out of his deal because he isn't worth it even though there is no salary cap.

Officer Rod Farva is offline  
Old
08-04-2013, 09:31 PM
  #560
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 35,813
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
ARod right now is better than the turds they've been throwing out there at 3B.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
08-04-2013, 09:37 PM
  #561
Emperoreddy
Moderator
King of Pirates
 
Emperoreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey, Exit 16E
Country: United States
Posts: 10,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
ARod right now is better than the turds they've been throwing out there at 3B.
Well he is coming back tomorrow it seems so we will see if he can still play.

Emperoreddy is offline  
Old
08-04-2013, 09:38 PM
  #562
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro
 
Officer Rod Farva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Well he is coming back tomorrow it seems so we will see if he can still play.
From what I saw this weekend, on and off the field, he still can.

Officer Rod Farva is offline  
Old
08-05-2013, 12:08 AM
  #563
Emperoreddy
Moderator
King of Pirates
 
Emperoreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey, Exit 16E
Country: United States
Posts: 10,264
vCash: 500
Honestly I do feel bad for A-rod a bit. Don't get me wrong he brought all of this on himself, but Selig and his crew are proving to be giant dirtbags of their own. Their case is dirty, their methods are dirty. I mean they are trying to just turn him into an example and don't care if they have to break their own rules in the CBA or the drug policy.

Emperoreddy is offline  
Old
08-05-2013, 10:25 AM
  #564
Devils Trap
Cory's Better
 
Devils Trap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Poland
Posts: 22,728
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Looks like A-Rod will play today

If there was ever a day I didnt want a rain out, this would be the one

Devils Trap is online now  
Old
08-05-2013, 10:50 AM
  #565
Nick0930
Registered User
 
Nick0930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,209
vCash: 500
He'll be suspended during the warmups.

Nick0930 is offline  
Old
08-05-2013, 10:59 AM
  #566
Devils Trap
Cory's Better
 
Devils Trap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Poland
Posts: 22,728
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
He'll be suspended during the warmups.
Wont matter. He will appeal it, and the MLB said if he appeals it , he will be allowed to play today.

Devils Trap is online now  
Old
08-05-2013, 12:24 PM
  #567
cj225
Work in Progress...
 
cj225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 27,980
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Wont matter. He will appeal it, and the MLB said if he appeals it , he will be allowed to play today.
Which is absolutely ridiculous.

cj225 is offline  
Old
08-05-2013, 12:27 PM
  #568
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 35,813
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
Which is absolutely ridiculous.
why? thats how appeals work, in any sport.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
08-05-2013, 12:47 PM
  #569
Emperoreddy
Moderator
King of Pirates
 
Emperoreddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey, Exit 16E
Country: United States
Posts: 10,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
Which is absolutely ridiculous.
It how appeals under the drug policy work. Any of the players that are getting suspended could play today if they chose to appeal.

Emperoreddy is offline  
Old
08-05-2013, 12:48 PM
  #570
Devils Trap
Cory's Better
 
Devils Trap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Poland
Posts: 22,728
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
It how appeals under the drug policy work. Any of the players that are getting suspended could play today if they chose to appeal.
Doesnt make much sense to appeal for any player. Cruz and Peralta can get this out of the way now and be back in the playoffs.

Devils Trap is online now  
Old
08-05-2013, 01:03 PM
  #571
cj225
Work in Progress...
 
cj225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 27,980
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
why? thats how appeals work, in any sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
It how appeals under the drug policy work. Any of the players that are getting suspended could play today if they chose to appeal.
I don't care how appeals work, but if you're being suspended for something, whether appealing it or not, you should not be able to play until everything is cleared, guilty or not guilty.

That's just my feelings on it.

cj225 is offline  
Old
08-05-2013, 01:05 PM
  #572
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 35,813
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
I don't care how appeals work, but if you're being suspended for something, whether appealing it or not, you should not be able to play until everything is cleared, guilty or not guilty.

That's just my feelings on it.
so "guilty until proven innocent" then?

and no, I am not saying ARod is innocent.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
08-05-2013, 01:11 PM
  #573
cj225
Work in Progress...
 
cj225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 27,980
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
so "guilty until proven innocent" then?

and no, I am not saying ARod is innocent.
There's obviously a reason that he's being suspended...he can appeal it, however I don't feel it's right for him to continue playing while he appeals.

Why do you think he should be allowed to continue playing? And I'm not just limiting this to A-Rod either...any player in this position.

cj225 is offline  
Old
08-05-2013, 01:11 PM
  #574
Scott04
Registered User
 
Scott04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
I don't care how appeals work, but if you're being suspended for something, whether appealing it or not, you should not be able to play until everything is cleared, guilty or not guilty.

That's just my feelings on it.
Well your feelings are completely void of the sense of fairness. Someone is appealing a punishment, yet you want them to still be serving that punishment. If it were to be overturned, you're saying you still want them to have served part of a punishment that was voided.... Gotcha.

Scott04 is offline  
Old
08-05-2013, 01:14 PM
  #575
cj225
Work in Progress...
 
cj225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 27,980
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Well your feelings are completely void of the sense of fairness. Someone is appealing a punishment, yet you want them to still be serving that punishment. If it were to be overturned, you're saying you still want them to have served part of a punishment that was voided.... Gotcha.
I'm not saying my word is the be all end all...I think I'm allowed to have this opinion and would say that there are people that would agree with me on this.

cj225 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.