HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: The cost of building a hockey rink

Old
12-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
OT: The cost of building a hockey rink

I am curious, how much does it cost to build a hockey rink similar to the Brooklyn Aviator and the Staten Island Pavilion? What's the cost of building a double-ice rink vs. a single-ice rink like that? I'm not counting real estate prices here, just the cost of building something like that. Who has any real numbers?

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:12 PM
robwrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I am curious, how much does it cost to build a hockey rink similar to the Brooklyn Aviator and the Staten Island Pavilion? What's the cost of building a double-ice rink vs. a single-ice rink like that? I'm not counting real estate prices here, just the cost of building something like that. Who has any real numbers?
I don't know the answer, but you should refine that question.

Is your price you're looking for literally just an empty building(Like a warehouse)?

If not, does it include the rink/rooms/bleachers/cooling?

robwrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

An indoor rink? I was gonna say if it was something in your backyard a buddy of mine was considering doing this. You have to go through all these permits, and such in a lot of places though.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwrx04 View Post
I don't know the answer, but you should refine that question.

Is your price you're looking for literally just an empty building(Like a warehouse)?

If not, does it include the rink/rooms/bleachers/cooling?

I mean the whole thing. A rink with two locker rooms (or two rinks with four locker rooms), 3-4 rows of seating, cooling system for the ice, the tech needed to operate the place, the Zamboni, etc.

Old
12-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
I mean the whole thing. A rink with two locker rooms (or two rinks with four locker rooms), 3-4 rows of seating, cooling system for the ice, the tech needed to operate the place, the Zamboni, etc.
I would say the property would cost more than building it. Then again for something like that maybe not. I wish I could give you an estimate since I was in the trade for many years, but not exactly sure.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:40 PM
broadwayblue

$2,000,000 plus. And maintenance ain't cheap.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:24 AM
robwrx04

Quote:
Extremely rough estimate, I'd say $4 million if needed to be over a few months, and $1 million yearly for proper cooling costs, ice maintenance, people working there, insurance, regulations, etc.)

But, generally parts of the rinks are contracted to special teams like private high schools having offices/exclusive locker rooms. Big money there.

robwrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:31 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwrx04 View Post
Extremely rough estimate, I'd say $4 million if needed to be over a few months, and $1 million yearly for proper cooling costs, ice maintenance, people working there, insurance, regulations, etc.)

But, generally parts of the rinks are contracted to special teams like private high schools having offices/exclusive locker rooms. Big money there.
1. For one ice or for two?

2. How does the Aviator make a profit with such expenses?

Old
12-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
New Zams run about $80k I believe, depends on how you're cooling it but compressors and glycol systems can be had around 250k.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:26 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

not sure but i built a rink in my back yard 40' x 80', ice in the winter, deck for the warm weather. spent about 3k... lol

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 02:40 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

From an empty lot of land (not including the price of the property) I'd say 2-4m for a bare minimum rink. Something in your back yard for the winter could be as cheap as a few hundred if you're relying on nature to freeze the ice. You can use a portable chilling system and have a semi temporary rink, that'll cost about 10k

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 02:51 PM
NYR Viper

I work in the industrial refrigeration industry and we supply all of the refrigeration systems for the NHL and I can tell you that just the refrigeration system for the ice and the piping and the labor is probably close to 300-350k easily. Compressor = ~85k. Condenser = ~50k, etc. Are you looking to possibly put one up? I can put you in contact with a very good contractor who does this type of stuff all the time in our area I am sure.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote