HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: The cost of building a hockey rink

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-17-2012, 10:47 PM
  #1
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,296
vCash: 500
OT: The cost of building a hockey rink

I am curious, how much does it cost to build a hockey rink similar to the Brooklyn Aviator and the Staten Island Pavilion? What's the cost of building a double-ice rink vs. a single-ice rink like that? I'm not counting real estate prices here, just the cost of building something like that. Who has any real numbers?

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:12 PM
  #2
robwrx04
Registered User
 
robwrx04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I am curious, how much does it cost to build a hockey rink similar to the Brooklyn Aviator and the Staten Island Pavilion? What's the cost of building a double-ice rink vs. a single-ice rink like that? I'm not counting real estate prices here, just the cost of building something like that. Who has any real numbers?
I don't know the answer, but you should refine that question.

Is your price you're looking for literally just an empty building(Like a warehouse)?

If not, does it include the rink/rooms/bleachers/cooling?

robwrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:19 PM
  #3
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,458
vCash: 500
An indoor rink? I was gonna say if it was something in your backyard a buddy of mine was considering doing this. You have to go through all these permits, and such in a lot of places though.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:28 PM
  #4
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwrx04 View Post
I don't know the answer, but you should refine that question.

Is your price you're looking for literally just an empty building(Like a warehouse)?

If not, does it include the rink/rooms/bleachers/cooling?

I mean the whole thing. A rink with two locker rooms (or two rinks with four locker rooms), 3-4 rows of seating, cooling system for the ice, the tech needed to operate the place, the Zamboni, etc.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:37 PM
  #5
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I mean the whole thing. A rink with two locker rooms (or two rinks with four locker rooms), 3-4 rows of seating, cooling system for the ice, the tech needed to operate the place, the Zamboni, etc.
I would say the property would cost more than building it. Then again for something like that maybe not. I wish I could give you an estimate since I was in the trade for many years, but not exactly sure.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 11:40 PM
  #6
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,656
vCash: 500
$2,000,000 plus. And maintenance ain't cheap.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:24 AM
  #7
robwrx04
Registered User
 
robwrx04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I mean the whole thing. A rink with two locker rooms (or two rinks with four locker rooms), 3-4 rows of seating, cooling system for the ice, the tech needed to operate the place, the Zamboni, etc.
Extremely rough estimate, I'd say $4 million if needed to be over a few months, and $1 million yearly for proper cooling costs, ice maintenance, people working there, insurance, regulations, etc.)

But, generally parts of the rinks are contracted to special teams like private high schools having offices/exclusive locker rooms. Big money there.

robwrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 12:31 AM
  #8
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwrx04 View Post
Extremely rough estimate, I'd say $4 million if needed to be over a few months, and $1 million yearly for proper cooling costs, ice maintenance, people working there, insurance, regulations, etc.)

But, generally parts of the rinks are contracted to special teams like private high schools having offices/exclusive locker rooms. Big money there.
1. For one ice or for two?

2. How does the Aviator make a profit with such expenses?

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:29 AM
  #9
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,125
vCash: 373
New Zams run about $80k I believe, depends on how you're cooling it but compressors and glycol systems can be had around 250k.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:26 AM
  #10
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94
 
HeaveHo94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NY NEW YORK
Country: United States
Posts: 2,333
vCash: 500
not sure but i built a rink in my back yard 40' x 80', ice in the winter, deck for the warm weather. spent about 3k... lol

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 02:40 PM
  #11
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Country: England
Posts: 3,831
vCash: 500
From an empty lot of land (not including the price of the property) I'd say 2-4m for a bare minimum rink. Something in your back yard for the winter could be as cheap as a few hundred if you're relying on nature to freeze the ice. You can use a portable chilling system and have a semi temporary rink, that'll cost about 10k

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 02:51 PM
  #12
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,368
vCash: 500
I work in the industrial refrigeration industry and we supply all of the refrigeration systems for the NHL and I can tell you that just the refrigeration system for the ice and the piping and the labor is probably close to 300-350k easily. Compressor = ~85k. Condenser = ~50k, etc. Are you looking to possibly put one up? I can put you in contact with a very good contractor who does this type of stuff all the time in our area I am sure.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.