HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Survey: NHL Lockout doing alarming damage to brand

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-18-2012, 07:35 PM
  #51
Choralone
Registered User
 
Choralone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 943
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
Hockey, being the 4th most popular league in the US (and 4th by a long shot -it's not like they're close to 3rd) to me means they have a bit of a cult following. People like hockey because it's hockey. I don't think they're going to start liking basketball more (or keep liking whatever alternative more) once the lockout ends. I just don't see it.

The brand will be damaged, anything that gets dragged through the mud because of bad press and upset customers gets damaged. But unless there is an alternative for the cult of people who love hockey, either another hockey league or something to split the vote so to speak, I just don't see the brand never recovering.
This year was so damaging for the Kings. The Lakers stink, despite their all-star cast, and no one really cares about the Clippers. The Kings could have made inroads with casual fans. In a scant few years, LA is likely to finally have an NFL team again, adding one more source of competition for the pocketbook of the area's casual sports fans.

Choralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 07:36 PM
  #52
NugentHopkinsfan
Registered User
 
NugentHopkinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Because its the only sport some follow.
Well they need to do what I and many others have and find some new sports and teams to follow. Ones that actually play every season and even if they have some issues they figure them out by December. I've also come to realize the NHL product is not at the same level as the other big American sports.

I know what you're saying I used to be a hockey first guy but that has changed big time over the last decade.

At this point it's embarrassing to say ''I'm and NHL fan'' you just get laughed at, people ask why.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 07:48 PM
  #53
no1b4me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
Nope, 10 years later we still have no NHL Network HD in Canada. I could give you example after example that they have no idea what they are doing.

But Bettman has been GREAT if you believe what many people here preach.
lol, poor example. No NHL HD in Canada isn't Bettmans fault. The CRTC approved NHL Network HD Nov18/2010 but no Canadian provider is willing to carry it.

no1b4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 08:12 PM
  #54
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Well they need to do what I and many others have and find some new sports and teams to follow. Ones that actually play every season and even if they have some issues they figure them out by December. I've also come to realize the NHL product is not at the same level as the other big American sports.

I know what you're saying I used to be a hockey first guy but that has changed big time over the last decade.

At this point it's embarrassing to say ''I'm and NHL fan'' you just get laughed at, people ask why.
Oh of course, I agree completely. Hell I know people that don't care for hockey at all and have lived here forever. My self, I watch the NBA, NFL, MLB too much now.I was going to say they suffered from battered wife syndrome but I thought it was too harsh.


I love the last sentence. It's so true. especially now.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 08:37 PM
  #55
Lacaar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Hard to say IMO. If the damage to sponsor relations becomes severe enough ( ie: we lose this season and the next ), the NHL's choice may boil down to having a sponsor with stipulations VS. not having the sponsor at all. We will have to wait and see.
And by doing so arm the pa to the teeth with leverage to sink you next CBA.

I don't think you thought it through very well.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 08:52 PM
  #56
NugentHopkinsfan
Registered User
 
NugentHopkinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Oh of course, I agree completely. Hell I know people that don't care for hockey at all and have lived here forever. My self, I watch the NBA, NFL, MLB too much now.I was going to say they suffered from battered wife syndrome but I thought it was too harsh.


I love the last sentence. It's so true. especially now.
I think it's a great analogy. I don't think anyone can argue that NHL fans are in an abusive relationship with a league that should do everything it can to support its fan base.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 08:52 PM
  #57
Stickchecked
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1b4me View Post
lol, poor example. No NHL HD in Canada isn't Bettmans fault. The CRTC approved NHL Network HD Nov18/2010 but no Canadian provider is willing to carry it.
No one is willing? For real? Why not? Do I really need 6 HD Sportsnet channels?

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:05 PM
  #58
TheMoreYouKnow
Registered User
 
TheMoreYouKnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Eire
Posts: 8,631
vCash: 500
Lack of NHL has meant I've been following college hoops and NBA loads more than I usually do. I think I'm actually doing okay without hockey, so that's maybe why I'm not sitting on the edge of my seat here hoping for a last minute deal.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:06 PM
  #59
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22,947
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choralone View Post
This year was so damaging for the Kings. The Lakers stink, despite their all-star cast, and no one really cares about the Clippers. The Kings could have made inroads with casual fans. In a scant few years, LA is likely to finally have an NFL team again, adding one more source of competition for the pocketbook of the area's casual sports fans.
Thing is the Angels and the Dodgers are picking up the slack there. If anything, their spending spree and high expectations puts the Kings that much further in the rear view mirror, unfortunately.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:12 PM
  #60
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 29,136
vCash: 50
Sadly, the league suffering significant financial damage might be what is needed to snap both parties into the right frame of mind for the next CBA discussions.

A few years with negative revenue growth should do the trick. Both sides seems to speak dollar fluently and they don't seem to be bilingual.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:27 PM
  #61
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
I think it's a great analogy. I don't think anyone can argue that NHL fans are in an abusive relationship with a league that should do everything it can to support its fan base.
You're telling me . "The fans will come back, mostly in Canada." How stupid does that sound really!!!

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:29 PM
  #62
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Lack of NHL has meant I've been following college hoops and NBA loads more than I usually do. I think I'm actually doing okay without hockey, so that's maybe why I'm not sitting on the edge of my seat here hoping for a last minute deal.
That's the way to go man. Prove the NHL wrong. I am not required to wait, I gotta a life to live

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Thing is the Angels and the Dodgers are picking up the slack there. If anything, their spending spree and high expectations puts the Kings that much further in the rear view mirror, unfortunately.
Can't wait till the Raiders move back soon and then the Kings disappear completely from the media.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:07 PM
  #63
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choralone View Post
This year was so damaging for the Kings. The Lakers stink, despite their all-star cast, and no one really cares about the Clippers. The Kings could have made inroads with casual fans. In a scant few years, LA is likely to finally have an NFL team again, adding one more source of competition for the pocketbook of the area's casual sports fans.
I was thinking about that. The NHL could have really benefitted from the momentum in the country's second largest market.

Canadians will come back. I just wonder about Amercians in "non-traditional" markets.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:41 PM
  #64
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,131
vCash: 500
The league doesn't seem to care, so why should I? I hope the league is revamped or a new league comes out of this somehow.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:32 PM
  #65
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,057
vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Riiiiggght. The day this lockout gets settled, everyone of those fans will be looking forward to the first game, buying jerseys again, and looking forward to paying $8 for a beer again. The idea that fans are really going to stay away for any meaningful period of time is lik aughable. Hockey fans are die hards. They love the game. They will be back in droves.
Wrooog. I believe many of the fans that say 'I'm done' really are. In Canada they will be replaced, then u will say 'told u so'

I guarantee u, if they gas this season I'm financially done with the nhl. Not another cent.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:51 PM
  #66
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 32,428
vCash: 500
Just the simple fact that the NHL is generating worse emotions than BP after the oil spill... wow. I mean, really.

Doesn't do much for my faith in humanity (ecosystem > sports, last time I checked), but that it a pretty powerful statement about how pissed off the customer is has become.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:53 PM
  #67
Gormo
Holupchi
 
Gormo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Riiiiggght. The day this lockout gets settled, everyone of those fans will be looking forward to the first game, buying jerseys again, and looking forward to paying $8 for a beer again. The idea that fans are really going to stay away for any meaningful period of time is laughable. Hockey fans are die hards. They love the game. They will be back in droves.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Everyone loves the NHL right now.

Gormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:26 AM
  #68
0123456789*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
I believe the NHL is going to be seriously hurting after this lockout. They got overly confident after the last one and I don't think they invested enough time this time around finding out where their market stands. This time things are different from the last time, last time the consumers were a bit "shell shocked" seeing a entire season ever being lost, unexpectadadly..in their life times. The consumers didn't know how to react. This time though the consumers know what to expect and can view the situation more rationally because its no longer new, they have past experience to work with when making individual decisions instead of getting stuck in the "i dont know" trap that most got stuck in last time. /rant

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:04 AM
  #69
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood
 
Ragamuffin Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 15,635
vCash: 500
I honestly don't thing that the players understand the linked system they are in. They are so caught up in the NHL "honoring their contracts" and getting that number that is in their contract that they don't realize that that's not how NHL contracts work anymore. Also, they don't realize that the damage they are doing to HRR greatly outweighs what they are stalling for.

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:11 AM
  #70
bbud
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,668
vCash: 500
The hardcore owner group and Bettman have badly misplayed each contract since he began as commissioner and i do know many Canadian fans are angry , NHL may recover if they fire Bettman and his staff and start over short of that this league can go **** itself as far as my money goes untill i see that happen, junior and NFL now get my dollars thats it.

bbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:12 AM
  #71
bbud
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
I honestly don't thing that the players understand the linked system they are in. They are so caught up in the NHL "honoring their contracts" and getting that number that is in their contract that they don't realize that that's not how NHL contracts work anymore. Also, they don't realize that the damage they are doing to HRR greatly outweighs what they are stalling for.
owners shouldnt sign deals they cant afford hoping to use a lockout to bail out its bush league.

bbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:32 AM
  #72
RippedOnNitro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I hope both the owners and players suffer a lot because of this lockout.
The Canadian fans will come back, because they can't live without hockey, but I hope American fans really screw both sides right back.
Sadly this is also the way I feel.

The players and owners should be working together to make the product 'NHL' better, so both parties involved will be off better in the future. Instead they decided to go to war with each other and try to kill the product 'NHL'.

RippedOnNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:41 AM
  #73
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood
 
Ragamuffin Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 15,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbud View Post
owners shouldnt sign deals they cant afford hoping to use a lockout to bail out its bush league.
Players and agents shouldn't play multiple teams off each other to drive up their price higher than what they are actually worth.

Players should also produce a more entertaining product so the owners don't need a "bail out".

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 03:46 AM
  #74
NugentHopkinsfan
Registered User
 
NugentHopkinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,087
vCash: 500
I agree with pretty much everyone in this thread. And if we all feel this way just imagine the average casual fan, we take time to talk about the sport on here we are serious fans and even we have given up on this league as it stands right now.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 04:17 AM
  #75
Noob616
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
I think we're getting closer and closer to the point where people wearing NHL jerseys around outside Canada are going to start looking like those MMA guys wearing Tapout and Affliction. By that I mean they'll look ridiculous to everyone not in the little bubble. The "big 4" sports is a myth. It's more like, the gargantuan one (NFL), the big one (MLB), the small one (NBA), and the redheaded stepchild. I really do think this lockout will end up doing serious damage to what little clout the NHL has left. It's already treated like a bush league by ESPN, and this will just make it worse. I just can't believe that this is all actually happening, and this league is going into a work stoppage for the second time in less than 10 years. It's seriously ridiculous and it's passed the point of no return long ago. No matter what stipulations are in the new CBA, the league as a whole will never get back what it lost. It's pretty hard to shed a reputation as a bush league once you have it.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.