HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Survey: NHL Lockout doing alarming damage to brand

Old
12-19-2012, 05:13 AM
Mant*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
Hockey, being the 4th most popular league in the US (and 4th by a long shot -it's not like they're close to 3rd) to me means they have a bit of a cult following. People like hockey because it's hockey. I don't think they're going to start liking basketball more (or keep liking whatever alternative more) once the lockout ends. I just don't see it.

The brand will be damaged, anything that gets dragged through the mud because of bad press and upset customers gets damaged. But unless there is an alternative for the cult of people who love hockey, either another hockey league or something to split the vote so to speak, I just don't see the brand never recovering.
It's not even the 4th most popular at the best of times... college level football and basketball are both bigger, nascar too.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
No one is willing? For real? Why not? Do I really need 6 HD Sportsnet channels?
So you expect them to cut their own throat by offering one NHL HD?

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:08 AM
Lim Ran

vCash: 987
Like I've been saying all along. They're trying to divide up money that won't be there.

Lim Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Bongo

After being told by everyone that folks in my part of the world like college football more than God itself, I've started watching college hockey. And I gotta say it's not bad. No foolishness(if you fight you're gone), no owners or players union, and best of all no Bettman.

If and when the pros come back I'll watch it on TV but I'm doubtful I'll be going back to Nashville since I believe all the franchises south of St. Louis are living on borrowed time.

BTW, all you haters out there that think southern hockey is an abomination; need to go to The Saturday Night Game in Nashville. You'd be singing a new tune after that.

I didn't need the lockout to learn that the NHL doesn't give two sh!ts about it's fans. I became aware of that in the Sprng of 2010.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 08:47 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...medium=twitter

Article also talks about their methodology of conducting in depth interviews to determine the emotional connections (and how they differ from other public opinion surveys).

This was not done for the league, but to help sponsors.
BP spills 210 million barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico... and the NHL has managed to one-up them on brand (mis)management.

Way. To. Fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
No one is willing? For real? Why not? Do I really need 6 HD Sportsnet channels?
Yes, dammit! How will they ever cram in hours of poker, bowling, and darts if they don't have channels to do it?

htpwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Cynicaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
So you expect them to cut their own throat by offering one NHL HD?
Is there any need for anyone to have to have ALL of the Sportsnets in HD, even if most of the programming is the same and most of what isn't is blacked out outside their home region?

I'm sure the audience for SN Pacific in Halifax or SN Ontario in Red Deer is small enough that taking away HD would have minimal impact on any audience they may have and the money NHLN HD would make would more than cancel that out.

Cynicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
BP spills 210 million barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico... and the NHL has managed to one-up them on brand (mis)management.
What are you talking about? That's a total positive! It means people care more for hockey than for the environment.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

This really really matters to who? All of 5-10 NHL teams, NHL players and NHL fans? The other 20-25 NHL teams that are making little to nothing anyway aren't likely that concerned because regardless of what revenues drop to, their share (or more accurately lack there of) is pretty similar to the nothing they are already bringing in off the game. Even of those 5-10 teams that are making money, places like Toronto and NYR will continue to profit because regardless of what the surveys say those places are hockey mad (although team values will drop) and will no doubt still sell out at astronomically high ticket prices. Each teams largest expense is already tied directly to revenue.

Players as a whole stand to lose the most. If HRR goes down players salaries go down with it, and if it goes down significantly they're the only group as a whole who will consistently feel it.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Stickmata

So much stupidity flying around on the NHL lockout these days, it's hard to say what shocks me the most. I think it's the fact that so many people, media included, are suprised that we're in the middle of a long lockout. Given the NHL's finances and the presence of Don Fehr, it was a forgone conclusion that we'd be sitting here with no hockey in December and likely looking at a lost season. No surprise there at all and I don't know why more people didn't see this coming, except maybe that too many people focused on the top line revenue number the media loves to throw around, rather than the more important bottom line. And for a supposedly tough, down to earth fan base, the amount of whining and hand wringing is unbelievable.

MOD Within 12 months of hockey's return, the vast majority of you will back pulling for your teams and spending money on it. Hockey fans never walk away.

There will be huge damage done to the game for sure, and the players are going to take the brunt of it, but the fans will be there. They will always be there, because hockey is a game like no other.

Last edited by Killion: 12-19-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: ...not req'd
Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
This really really matters to who? All of 5-10 NHL teams, NHL players and NHL fans? The other 20-25 NHL teams that are making little to nothing anyway aren't likely that concerned because regardless of what revenues drop to, their share (or more accurately lack there of) is pretty similar to the nothing they are already bringing in off the game. Even of those 5-10 teams that are making money, places like Toronto and NYR will continue to profit because regardless of what the surveys say those places are hockey mad (although team values will drop) and will no doubt still sell out at astronomically high ticket prices. Each teams largest expense is already tied directly to revenue.

Players as a whole stand to lose the most. If HRR goes down players salaries go down with it, and if it goes down significantly they're the only group as a whole who will consistently feel it.
I don't agree. if 25 teams are hurt then the NHL might as well fold up shop. That means the lockout was pointless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
So much stupidity flying around on the NHL lockout these days, it's hard to say what shocks me the most. I think it's the fact that so many people, media included, are suprised that we're in the middle of a long lockout. Given the NHL's finances and the presence of Don Fehr, it was a forgone conclusion that we'd be sitting here with no hockey in December and likely looking at a lost season. No surprise there at all and I don't know why more people didn't see this coming, except maybe that too many people focused on the top line revenue number the media loves to throw around, rather than the more important bottom line. And for a supposedly tough, down to earth fan base, the amount of whining and hand wringing is unbelievable.

MOD Within 12 months of hockey's return, the vast majority of you will back pulling for your teams and spending money on it. Hockey fans never walk away.

There will be huge damage done to the game for sure, and the players are going to take the brunt of it, but the fans will be there. They will always be there, because hockey is a game like no other.
No its not.I t's not special at all. I already did 2 years. I have not watched a game since 2009? I know people who don't watch at all. MOD

You tell me if the guys go to court and the NHL ends for good what will you do?

Last edited by Killion: 12-19-2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: not reqd..
Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Lack of NHL has meant I've been following college hoops and NBA loads more than I usually do. I think I'm actually doing okay without hockey, so that's maybe why I'm not sitting on the edge of my seat here hoping for a last minute deal.
Great comment. It probably reflects most hockey fans that are not game attenders. There are many other things to attract our attention when it comes to entertainment.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Choralone

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
This really really matters to who? All of 5-10 NHL teams, NHL players and NHL fans? The other 20-25 NHL teams that are making little to nothing anyway aren't likely that concerned because regardless of what revenues drop to, their share (or more accurately lack there of) is pretty similar to the nothing they are already bringing in off the game.
No. Revenues are one thing, market share and brand reputation are another. Many NHL teams all over the league have been engaged in decades-long efforts to build a fan base and attract new people to the game. This latest lockout has set the clock back so far it may have just killed southern expansion, which is not a good thing in the long run.

Choralone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Proby24

My time and money now goes on the NFL and watching some WHL.

I am so angry, I hope the NHL folds. They won't get a cent from me this year or the next. I have made a promise to myself.

Proby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 07:39 PM
thom

The Nhl has huge advertising lawyers working for them.They will do what they have too get you back by using any form.Ask yourself why has Coke and Pepsi controlled the market for so long it can't be the taste.In the INTERNATIONAL market Red Bull drinks have cornered some of the market.They have spent over 1 billion dollars on their f1 racing team to help promote their drinks.

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Yet five year contract limits are the hill the league will die on.

Is it any wonder the league is in as bad shape as it is.
Let them die!

That's all I can say. Maybe Canadian die hards will find that our national love for the game the NHL provides is more based on sappy cliches and route monotonous routine offered by the boredom of winter than any real attachment to a subpar product.

Let's just read books and go to the movies. Screw pro hockey.

I hope this hubristic lockout represents the financial and professional ruin of people like Gary Bettman who were entrusted with protecting the game. **** all of them.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 08:00 PM
ponder

It's an incredibly poor time to have a lockout. Both sides are already exceptionally rich, and will continue to be exceptionally rich regardless of who wins the lockout. Meanwhile the economy in general is in poor shape, with tonnes of new graduates unable to find work in their field, many established professionals laid off, and plenty of people underemployed or simply returning to school to avoid the realities of the current job market. Obviously the ultra rich publicly digging in their heels for a bit more money at a time like this is not going to go over well with the general public, especially since this lockout is actually hurting a lot of everyday citizens (many people who work in arenas, or work in marketing, sales, etc. for the NHL have lost their jobs, not to mention all the lost business for bars and restaurants, NHL jersey/paraphernalia retailers, etc.). In most businesses the owners and employees are able to agree on terms quickly and without work stoppages, the NHL should follow suit.

I went into this lockout thinking "whatever, I'll still be a fan regardless of how long it drags on." But this resolve is starting to slip. I normally buy tickets for a few games per year, I'm strongly considering not buying any NHL tickets for the next 5 years at least. I normally buy the odd pieces of NHL paraphernalia (jerseys, hats, flags, etc.), but will absolutely be cutting these out. I normally watch the NHL on TV, but will now try (whenever possible) to watch games online from sources that do not display NHL advertisements. I normally check stats on NHL.com, now I'll try to use other sites as much as possible.

I will always love HOCKEY, I play roughly twice a week, and watch games from a wide variety of leagues (NHL, AHL, WHL, OHL, QMJHL, NCAA, etc.). I will continue to FOLLOW NHL hockey, but I will do everything I can to provide as little FINANCIAL support as possible to the league in the future. I would advise others to do the same. By not going to games, not buying paraphernalia, and wherever possible avoiding channels that will give the NHL advertising revenue, you can seriously hurt the league financially without having much of an impact on yourself. A massive crash in revenues after this lockout is the only thing that will keep the league (players and owners alike) from viewing lockouts as an acceptable means to negotiate.

Last edited by ponder: 12-20-2012 at 08:12 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 02:17 AM
pbgoalie

So the NHL canít find a way
To get off their ***** and play
Paid Millions to play a great game
Arguing with little or no shame
While my bills, I simply canít pay

Itís not all their fault, I agree,
But why canít they sit back and see
That their sport is dying
While they arenít trying
to settle for very high fees

So winter with no NHL
And vendors with no place to sell
Leaves fans with no choice
With a loud hearty voice
To tell them to all go to hell

pbgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 06:27 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
The reality is the NHL still has not fully recovered from the last lockout. This one may kill the sport as we know it.
No.

But, it will kill the nhl. The franchises that can make a go of it (Habs Leafs Rangers etc) will join the new league that rises from the ashes.

The sport is fine. In spite of bettmans efforts to kill it, he's only managed to shoot himself in the foot, and kill the league that employs him, the ****ing idiot....

Davebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconone View Post
Hey I'm hardly a Bettman fan, but he's not stupid. He's done a marvelous job at building the 'Brand' of the NHL and most if not all the success the NHL has had from a marketing standpoint, sponsor contract and TV deals accrues to him. Given his track record in this area I doubt he'd even consider a contract the contains the language you suggest.
Hey everyone - we've found Jacobs HF account!

Marvellous job? Of what - running the league into the ground?

Davebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 07:07 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
No.

But, it will kill the nhl. The franchises that can make a go of it (Habs Leafs Rangers etc) will join the new league that rises from the ashes.

The sport is fine. In spite of bettmans efforts to kill it, he's only managed to shoot himself in the foot, and kill the league that employs him, the ****ing idiot....
Hope this happens

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 05:49 PM
PattyLafontaine

Hockey used to be part of the big 4, but 3 lockouts in 20 years pretty much killed any ability for the sport to grow and gain new fans.

It's mindboggling how imbecilic Bettman is... the NFL had its strike and resolved its issues without missing a game. The NBA lost 16 games ...

but somehow hockey can lose an entire season and be fine?

the problem is the die hard coming back isn't the issues. You can't increase salaries if you have the same amount of people coming back and business costs continue to escalate due to inflation increase in taxes, and somehow I don't the normal employees are going to be thrilled about making the same wage/salary for years on end.

This is like cannabalizing yourself because you're hungry because you refuse share the only food available.

PattyLafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 11:49 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-been-done-cox

Cox looks at the damage "already" done

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-been-done-cox

Cox looks at the damage "already" done
More clueless drivel from the media. I really wish the lockout applied to all these useless talking heads as well.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote