HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

When league began to look like it is today

Old
12-18-2012, 09:41 PM
darkhorse686

vCash: 500
When league began to look like it is today

I know this is highly subjective but when, in your opinion, did the league, in terms of its look, transition from the older, ancient-looking NHL to the more modern league we know today.

I want to say it was somewhere in the mid 1980's (improving goalie equipment, increased board advertising, almost every player has a helmet etc.). What about you?

I know it is hard pick an outright hinge-point but am curious what others think and why

darkhorse686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:49 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Probably had more to do with video quality than anything else.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

I'd say late 90's because of increased size in goalie equipment as well as goaltending style seeing most goalies go butterfly like today. Also game pace in the late 90's was closer to what it is today than the 80's.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Stephen

To me, the league has gone through distinct phases from the time I started watching as a kid:

1992-93 to 1996-97 was kind of an era where you had a great new generation emerging with a ton of potentially great teams in the running for domination and the Devils, Avs and Wings kind of starting to emerge by the end of 1997. Lindros was kind of seen as the guy to be the torch bearer, so that 1997 finals against Yzerman was kind of a watershed moment.

1997-98 to 2003-04 was the dead puck era.

2005-06 to 2011-12 was the post lockout era.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Elever
Hth

It has to be mid-90s if you mean TV presentation and how the game works. There was still some old equipment in this era but what players were wearing as seen on TV and the player size was around the same. Most goalies looked the same. The TV presentation and graphics started looking very similar as well. You had the in-house music similar to today and the same type of advertising.

The league since around this era has also been East/West conferences and 6 divisions resembling the divisions of today and around the same number of teams.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
1993 is when I started to notice a big shift. Everything just seemed to be coming together from marketing, things like Mighty Duck movies, cooler equipment, better looking hockey cards, more TV...

Of course I was a kid so I was probably just more dazzled by these things.

Oscar Acosta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 02:07 PM
MVP36

2007-2008 season.

RBK Edge jerseys
Goalies predominantly wearing white gear
HD video production across the league

MVP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Elever
Hth

I don't think that Edge jerseys is that big of a change so I'd discount that. Goalies have worn white gear before and many goalies still wear non-white pads, the style of pads is more important than the colour (and the style has been around the same since the early 90s with the lighter pads). HD is something you can bring up and that makes the picture clearer but obviously HD still isn't widespread and the broadcast between HD and non-HD is the same minus picture quality/width....the graphics are the same. So I'd say it was before 2007, definetely in the 90s for me. And to the person who mentioned hockey cards, yeah I noticed as well that in 1993 they got more unique, before that it was just the ugly Score/Pro Sport/UD cards and the old OPC ones.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:50 PM
MVP36

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I don't think that Edge jerseys is that big of a change so I'd discount that. Goalies have worn white gear before and many goalies still wear non-white pads, the style of pads is more important than the colour (and the style has been around the same since the early 90s with the lighter pads). HD is something you can bring up and that makes the picture clearer but obviously HD still isn't widespread and the broadcast between HD and non-HD is the same minus picture quality/width....the graphics are the same. So I'd say it was before 2007, definetely in the 90s for me. And to the person who mentioned hockey cards, yeah I noticed as well that in 1993 they got more unique, before that it was just the ugly Score/Pro Sport/UD cards and the old OPC ones.
True, it didn't affect the on-ice performance, (although the RBK EDGE jerseys supposedly allow players to move more fluidly) but strictly looking at the aesthetics of the game in 07-08 compared to say, 10 years prior, there is a noticeable difference.

Last edited by MVP36: 12-20-2012 at 10:27 PM.
MVP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 10:25 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMVP77 View Post
True, it didn't affect the on-ice performance, (although the RBK EDGE jerseys supposedly allow player to move more fluidly) but strictly looking at the aesthetics of the game in 07-08 compared to say, 10 years prior, there is a noticeable difference.
I agree with this. I was going to say 2007 or so as the year the league seemed to move into a new era. A worse era IMO.

It seemed like the 24/7 media coverage of the game (in Canada at least) started right around this time. This is when discussions on headshots, suspensions, concussions, and a bunch of other crap I really don't want to hear about started to dominate conversation. Radio hosts filling up air time talking about their fantasy teams and other junk.

And yes, those attrocious Edge jerseys. Somebody should have been fired over that decision.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 12:02 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
I'm confused, when I read the OP it asks about changing from the "ancient looking NHL to the more modern one." I was under the impression OP was asking about when the NHL changed from 1930's type of game/look to the "modern" era. I was expecting to see answers of 1960-1970's, not 2008 with the introduction of new RBK jerseys...

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 01:51 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse686 View Post
I know it is hard pick an outright hinge-point but am curious what others think and why
If I understand your question correctly, it slowly evolved, first with the goalies who started wearing masks through the 60's, then came expansion, 6 new teams, logo's, colours & cities; the increase in players wearing helmets, then in the early 70's the players names mandated by the league being put on their backs. That in and of itself was a big departure from previous more's & sensibilities.

Then came the rink board ad's, tuuk blades, cage masks & coloured pads. Players progressively getting bigger, faster, better conditioned. WHA Amalgamation & by the early 80's, all remnants of what once was from basically 1917-1967 was gone. The rise of the NHLPA, the old guards retiring, the "Me" Generation replacing them, the brawling Flyers, all these things really changed the face of the game, the Islanders sort of caught in the Twilight Zone between the final Habs Dynasty & the ascendant Oilers.

I was just a kid at that time, the last decade of the 06 era, and I feel much melancholy, warmth of heart towards it, sadness that the younger generations never got to experience it themselves. The game was far more pristine aesthetically (and pleasing) as many will have noted in watching old footage. Players were more "mortal", they werent nearly as well protected, certainly not as big nor as fast as todays by any stretch, it was of a time & period. The past is a strange place. They do things differently back there.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Elever
Hth

One thing no one has mentioned....commentators. The sound of the commentators from the 70s was very different from the ones in the 90s imo. The ones from the 90s are still commentating today and in the same style I'd add.

Today's commentators like to joke around more and make stupid observations (for better or worst) and tend to go off-topic more. The speaking style is the same today as it was in the 90s and the sound of the game plus commercial time-outs to me also makes it similar to the 90s but different from the 70s or parts of the 80s.

If someone wants to see a good evolution of the game video though then imo go through Don Cherry's Rock Em Sock Em, all 24 parts are up on youtube I think. I just don't see significant differences since the mid-90s and that's largely due to vhs vs digital recorded picture quality but I grew up in the 90s so maybe that's why I identify that as the point where the game looks similar to today.

Old
12-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Must have been with Lemieux. It's ALWAYS with Lemieux.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 03:04 PM
darkhorse686

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I'm confused, when I read the OP it asks about changing from the "ancient looking NHL to the more modern one." I was under the impression OP was asking about when the NHL changed from 1930's type of game/look to the "modern" era. I was expecting to see answers of 1960-1970's, not 2008 with the introduction of new RBK jerseys...
Yes, 2008 seems too recent for me as well.

I think the late 60's-70's was the half-way marker between the old and new. There were a number of elements that were more like the modern game (helmeted players, masked goalies, increased number of teams) but a significant portion could still be considered 'old school' stuff (helmetless players, all-white boards, leather goalie gear etc.)

Then starting in about 1985 or '86 those old touches become increasingly fainter; only small number of unhelmeted players are out there, the boards are gaining logos and adverts, goalie gear is improving (and when Pat Roy wins the cup wearing the now-universal hybrid mask, its popularity goes thru the roof). The modernized 'sold-out' NHL is clearly on the horizon.

I didn't have TV coverage in mind so with my question. I suppose that could change my answer but I haven't give it much thought.

Again it is a highly subjective thing. What constitutes 'old school' and 'new wave' is all matter of taste.

darkhorse686 is offline   Reply With Quote