HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2013 Draft who is ready to step into NHL

Old
03-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Hawaiinleaf

vCash: 500
2013 Draft who is ready to step into NHL

Given the tremendous hype about this years draft being the best in a decade.

How many players and who is ready to make the jump and actually play, most years several players make it, given this years hype it should be a lot more

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Jones, Mackinnon, Barkov, Monahan, and Drouin (maybe) might all be able to make the jump next year.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:33 AM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Jones, Mackinnon, Barkov, Monahan, and Drouin (maybe) might all be able to make the jump next year.
Zadorov/Ristolainen both could play but would be better served by staying in their respective leagues for longer.

I would think Drouin has a strong to almost assured chance at making the NHL next year. I'm not sure what more he has to learn honestly. He's dummying the Q this year. I suppose a team might want to see what he could do without MacKinnon as his linemate (assumign MacK makes it) but in the games MacKinnon missed, Drouin actually scored at a higher pace.

I really don't see what more he would do at the Q level. He's simply too good for it at this point.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
Zadorov/Ristolainen both could play but would be better served by staying in their respective leagues for longer.

I would think Drouin has a strong to almost assured chance at making the NHL next year. I'm not sure what more he has to learn honestly. He's dummying the Q this year. I suppose a team might want to see what he could do without MacKinnon as his linemate (assumign MacK makes it) but in the games MacKinnon missed, Drouin actually scored at a higher pace.

I really don't see what more he would do at the Q level. He's simply too good for it at this point.
Ability isn't a concern. It's more of a strength issue.

His lower body is fine but he has the upper body of a 17 year old. He'll work on that but it might keep an NHL team from putting him in the show right away. Obviously it wasn't a big deal for a guy like RNH.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Oan

Barkov most definitely is ready.

Oan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:58 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Sean Monahan looks ready to step into the NHL

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:32 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

i actually think Anthony Mantha has the type of skill set that could see him stick at the NHL level next season.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:33 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
I think there's quite a few guys this year...more than your average year.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
Barkov most definitely is ready.
I doubt it, he needs to improve his skating. He's not fast enough at the moment, and wouldn't be surprised if he would stay in Finland for another year.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:47 PM
NHL Dude 120

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
I doubt it, he needs to improve his skating. He's not fast enough at the moment, and wouldn't be surprised if he would stay in Finland for another year.
What about Military service ?

NHL Dude 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
NHL Dude 120

vCash: 135
Prospects

Mackinnion: Probably ready
Jones: Probably Ready
Drouin: Borderline, however i lean towards him being playing in Juniors. Considering people say hes a top six or bust don't rush him.
Monahan: Not ready, He'll be sent down before the 9 games
Shinkaruk: Not ready, could use the time to get bigger
Barkov: From wat i hear borderline, Physically he's fine but he needs to work on Skating and he also has Military service to wory about.
Valeri Nichushkin: Physically ok but he shold stay a few years in Russia.
Elias Lindholm: Not ready few years then we may talk.

Im in the camp of not risking prospects and let them develop slowly, in other words more of the Detroit method.

NHL Dude 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:22 PM
joe89

I think the question should be "who is ready contribute?".

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:22 PM
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing

Hopefully whomever the Panthers pick.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:26 PM
George Maharis
Risk Taker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Dude 120 View Post
Mackinnion: Probably ready
Jones: Probably Ready
Drouin: Borderline, however i lean towards him being playing in Juniors. Considering people say hes a top six or bust don't rush him.
Monahan: Not ready, He'll be sent down before the 9 games
Shinkaruk: Not ready, could use the time to get bigger
Barkov: From wat i hear borderline, Physically he's fine but he needs to work on Skating and he also has Military service to wory about.
Valeri Nichushkin: Physically ok but he shold stay a few years in Russia.
Elias Lindholm: Not ready few years then we may talk.

Im in the camp of not risking prospects and let them develop slowly, in other words more of the Detroit method.
It's easier to do when you're already a successful team and picking 20-30th. Teams like Edmonton, Calgary, Columbus, etc. are bottom of the league each year and they will not get better by having these players not play.

George Maharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:32 PM
thomast

Quote:
Craig Button stated that Barkov is most likely NHL-ready by next october. Bob MacKenzie stated that NHL scouts he polled liked Barkov's NHL-readiness. It's obvious that scouts thinks that he is ready. Barkov's skating is still raw and developing but good enough for his type of game and with exceptional positioning. To be honest his skating is quite underrated. His first steps needs power but his speed, technique, balance and glide are good for his body type. There is high chance that Barkov will be in the NHL next year because he can play any role and in all situations. He has played already 2 years in FEL and he is already top players in the league. He is very mature physically and even more mature mentally.

Last edited by thomast: 03-18-2013 at 04:32 PM.
thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:34 PM
dwanmaster*

Seth Jones could have been in the NHL this year.

dwanmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:57 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
He has nothing to learn in FEL anymore.

I don't think his skating will be good enough to light NHL on fire but he'll survive imo. Give the kid some 3rd line minutes and little on special teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Dude 120 View Post
What about Military service ?
Not an issue.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:31 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
He has nothing to learn in FEL anymore.

I don't think his skating will be good enough to light NHL on fire but he'll survive imo. Give the kid some 3rd line minutes and little on special teams.
Exactly. Barkov wasn't good enough skater to light up FEL at 16. He played as 3rd C playing solid defensive game, PK and little PP time. He did learn all the little things and chipped in offensively and had 16 points in 32 games which is excellent for 16 year old 3rd line C and leading his team with +5 when the rest of the team averages -8 and being only + player on the team from the players who have played most of the year with the team. After the year of experience and more developed skating he did light up FEL and took the next step which was way bigger step than expected. His production went up from 0.5PPG to almost PPG and his already solid devensive game developed with huge leaps aswell. His physical strength is enough to beat clear majority of board battles against men.

I expect similar developement path for NHL. He should play as 3rd line killing up penalties, playing very solid two-way game and some PP time. After year of experience and more developed skating he could take next step in the NHL aswell. But what is clear is that Barkov has developed better in tougher competition and enviroment. He developed very well in U20 jr league in finland as 15 year old, after that he developed really well in FEL as 16 year old, this year he has been just incredible.

Barkov won't just survive, he will be big piece for any team because he is a player who can play at all situations and help the team out many ways. Won't expect him to contribute alot offensively but with his ability to score NHL-like goals, pass simple effective quality passes i think he can put up fairly good amount of points for 18 year old rookie.

In the right team without much center depth i could see Barkov having chance at 2nd line center.

One thing is that he is very effective player without the puck and that will boost his chances for the NHL spot. I haven't seen any player in FEL who has been better than Barkov without the puck since Jere Lehtinen. I would rate Barkov in the same class as a player without the puck if not bit higher. Barkov is obviously much gifted offensively and play center but their game reminds me ALOT from eachother if we compare their ability without the puck. Just how they cover effectively the passing and shooting lanes, how effectively they win puck battles, how well they are positioning theirselves, how rarely they make mistakes. They seem to share very similar personality too. Shy, quiet teamplayers who show example on the ice and especially off the ice doing all the things well to prepare theirselves for the next event. Dream player for any coach. Jere Lehtinen won 3 selkes and was nominated 6 times. He is pretty unknown and underrated outside of stars community but he is my childhood favourite player and i know what i'm talking right now. Barkov is excellent takeaway machine which might seperate him from Lehtinen as a player without the puck. He just strips the puck off opponent and it looks so easy most of the time.

Last edited by thomast: 03-18-2013 at 05:09 PM.
thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Juxtaposer
#FreeTimo

vCash: 50
Jones and Mackinnon are the only two that will definitely be there. I'd put money on Drouin making it. Barkov certainly could if he wanted to. Monahan will get at least 9 games. Depends on if the team drafting him wanted to Couturier him or would rather he improve offense in the CHL. Lindholm and Shinkaruk need a couple more years. Nichushkin is physically ready, but he'll probably want to stay in the KHL a few years more to refine his game. IMHO.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:49 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Jones and Mackinnon will probably make it. Maybe Monahan. I have doubts about Drouin - but Patrick Kane made it right away so who knows.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:14 PM
SLAPSHOT723
QU! Bobcats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
Hopefully whomever the Panthers pick.
That's my number one destination for MacKinnon. He'd be a great fit there.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:04 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
That's my number one destination for MacKinnon. He'd be a great fit there.
Man, Id really like him with the Panthers. Just thinking about him and Huberdeau for the rest of the decade makes us Panther fans salivate. A top six consisting of players like Mac, Huberdeau, Mueller, Shore, and Bjugstad is a great way to help with scoring.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:15 PM
will13

Does anyone think that Curtis Lazar could make the jump next year?

will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:25 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

I think Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin and Monahan play next year. Jones and Drouin as top 4/top six players, Mackinnon and Monahan as checking/defensive centers

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:57 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Jones

Mackinnon

Zadorov

Are the only three I'd personally be comfortable with playing.

edit: If I was in control of Sean Monahan, I'd let him develop more of his offense with another year in the OHL. I think he's intelligent and sound defensively but rushing him would stunt his offensive impact in the big leagues.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote