HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix LXVII; Route66 - Aftermath

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Undertakerqc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
The thing is, the Yotes should stay, not just because the fans want it, but it's probably better for everyone (The players and the league), it just isn't likely and the chaos caused by the governing officials is terrible and doesn't really help.
I dont know about the ''better for everyone'', [mod].

Last edited by Fugu: 12-31-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: ... will be taken as trolling
Old
12-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Back on topic....

Old
12-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
I dont know about the ''better for everyone'', [mod].
If they could stay in Phoenix and Quebec got their team through expansion, I don't see the issue.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
If they could stay in Phoenix and Quebec got their team through expansion, I don't see the issue.
That would be the perfect world, yet we dont know if there will be an expansion. So the more teams available the better... for Nordiques fans that is.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Confucius

Quote:
That would be the perfect world, yet we dont know if there will be an expansion. So the more teams available the better... for Nordiques fans that is.
I don't know Pat, sorta sounds like you believe the Yotes should stay where they are regardless of their financial plight. As long as QC gets a team. So all your past arguments for Yotes relocation just may be trash can material.

Old
12-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
I don't know Pat, sorta sounds like you believe the Yotes should stay where they are regardless of their financial plight. As long as QC gets a team. So all your past arguments for Yotes relocation just may be trashcan material.
I should have said in a ''perfect world for Nords fans and Coyotes fans''

Old
12-31-2012, 06:53 PM
TheLegend
Home Sweet Home!

Quote:
I don't know Pat, sorta sounds like you believe the Yotes should stay where they are regardless of their financial plight. As long as QC gets a team. So all your past arguments for Yotes relocation just may be trash can material.
I can understand Pat's POV. They (QC) had a team once and lost it due to economic factors (most not of their doing). I truly feel they just want a team back.... regardless of how it happens.

Moving the Coyotes franchise currently offers the shortest and quickest way to achieve that. But they'd probably be happy with an expansion team if that were in the works too.

Old
12-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
I can understand Pat's POV. They (QC) had a team once and lost it due to economic factors (most not of their doing). I truly feel they just want a team back.... regardless of how it happens.

Moving the Coyotes franchise currently offers the shortest and quickest way to achieve that.bsolutely But they'd probably be happy with an expansion team if that were in the works too.
Absolutely, when it comes right down to it half the people posting probably don't give two craps about Glendale's problem. They' would just like a team, or in a very few cases a second team.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:24 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post

Moving the Coyotes franchise currently offers the shortest and quickest way to achieve that. But they'd probably be happy with an expansion team if that were in the works too.
Yes that's my feeling. I have nothing against the fans of the Coyotes. If the NHL would garantee us an expansion team, i would follow the situation, but would not be as passionate about it. And having lost two of my favorite sports team to relocation (Nordiques and Expos), its heartbreaking and i dont wish that to any passionate sports fan. BTW, Happy New Year to all who have been following this saga for so long.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:52 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Yes that's my feeling. I have nothing against the fans of the Coyotes. If the NHL would garantee us an expansion team, i would follow the situation, but would not be as passionate about it. And having lost two of my favorite sports team to relocation (Nordiques and Expos), its heartbreaking and i dont wish that to any passionate sports fan. BTW, Happy New Year to all who have been following this saga for so long.
I remember the fans coming down to Hartford, some of the best fans. I hope the league expands and bring back the Nordiques.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:51 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely, when it comes right down to it half the people posting probably don't give two craps about Glendale's problem. They' would just like a team, or in a very few cases a second team.
The team stays in Phoenix and the league expands to QC after the CBA is settled... Wow! I never saw that coming.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:10 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Happy New Year, boys.

Congrats to Canada for winning Pool B at the World Juniors. 4-0 and looked great smoking the Russians today.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:13 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Yepp, Kevy, and to everyone else as well!

Old
12-31-2012, 10:16 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
You too, buddy.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:03 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
You (and I) do not live in a city that just committed an average of 16 mil per year to pay to "manage" the arena that will result in additional revenues of 1,5 mil per year and also are still stuck paying the 8 mil per year for the building of the arena as well as the money pit for the baseball facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Happy New Year, boys.

Congrats to Canada for winning Pool B at the World Juniors. 4-0 and looked great smoking the Russians today.
Quote:

Nice to know everyone else is an afterthought Killion.......

Old
01-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Nice to know everyone else is an afterthought Killion.......
that includes you Tommy, Happy New Year!

Old
01-01-2013, 01:30 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Happy new year K you have been santa and the elves all year long thanks for the gifts!

Old
01-01-2013, 08:56 AM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
Befuddles me as to why the electorate would not come forth in full support (referendum) of city services as opposed to funding an ill fated money losing venture funded by a group of cavalier unknowns!
Because voters of all municipalities and jurisdiction are by and large uninformed and it's best for the people in power to leave them that way.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:00 AM
rj

Quote:
I'm surprised there are so many nonbelievers. Must be a group hallucination going on or something.
well there's no Maple Leafs-Red Wings game at Michigan Stadium for us to watch today

Old
01-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
well there's no Maple Leafs-Red Wings game at Michigan Stadium for us to watch today
Bummer to, as I have 5 weeks off now. I would have gotten a pair of tickets.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Bummer to, as I have 5 weeks off now. I would have gotten a pair of tickets.
And so instead, with the money youve saved and some time on your hands, why not head down to Phoenix for the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction and a round of Golf at Talking Stick in Scottsdale? Take in a Sun Dogs game in Prescott? Comfortable average temperatures of about +17C, compared to Toronto, which feels like -12.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:30 PM
cbcwpg

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...rs-muni-credit

After downgrades by both Standard & Poor’s and Moody’s Investors Service that cited the hockey payments, investors demanded a 7.5 percent higher penalty on city debt compared with 11 months ago.

“If you look back to 2009, they were a perfectly normal city,” said Neene Jenkins, an AllianceBernstein analyst in New York. The company oversees about $32 billion in municipal securities and bought debt offered in Glendale’s latest sale. “It’s a bigger issue than just the arena. The risk, coupled with recessionary factors, has really hit Glendale.”

The value of building permits in Glendale plummeted to $118 million in fiscal 2011 from $582 million in 2007 as a Freddie Mac Arizona home price index fell 51 percent from May 2006 to August 2011, wiping out six years of gains. Sales-tax revenue fell to $53.8 million in 2010 from $65.6 million in 2008. Debt payments have depleted the reserve fund, which had $70 million in 2007, said Diane Goke, the city’s chief financial officer.

In May, confronting a $32 million deficit, Glendale fired 49 workers -- the latest in cuts that have eliminated about 300 jobs and trimmed operating costs by 25 percent, Goke said

Glendale is “a good example -- and hopefully a warning sign to others -- that when you deviate from your core purpose, you increase your risk,” said Alan Schankel, managing director of fixed-income research at Janney Montgomery Scott LLC in Philadelphia.

“We’re stuck with it,” Knaack said. “But on the other hand, look at the potential we have. To me, we have a lot more potential because of it.”

Always the "potential". At least Glendale can keep telling themselves that... we have potential. Too bad "potential" doesn't pay the bills.

Old
01-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
So much potential, just a few years away.

'Glendale: the Columbus Blue Jackets of municipalities.'

Old
01-01-2013, 03:08 PM
TheLegend
Home Sweet Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...rs-muni-credit

After downgrades by both Standard & Poor’s and Moody’s Investors Service that cited the hockey payments, investors demanded a 7.5 percent higher penalty on city debt compared with 11 months ago.

“If you look back to 2009, they were a perfectly normal city,” said Neene Jenkins, an AllianceBernstein analyst in New York. The company oversees about $32 billion in municipal securities and bought debt offered in Glendale’s latest sale. “It’s a bigger issue than just the arena. The risk, coupled with recessionary factors, has really hit Glendale.”

The value of building permits in Glendale plummeted to $118 million in fiscal 2011 from $582 million in 2007 as a Freddie Mac Arizona home price index fell 51 percent from May 2006 to August 2011, wiping out six years of gains. Sales-tax revenue fell to $53.8 million in 2010 from $65.6 million in 2008. Debt payments have depleted the reserve fund, which had $70 million in 2007, said Diane Goke, the city’s chief financial officer.

In May, confronting a $32 million deficit, Glendale fired 49 workers -- the latest in cuts that have eliminated about 300 jobs and trimmed operating costs by 25 percent, Goke said

Glendale is “a good example -- and hopefully a warning sign to others -- that when you deviate from your core purpose, you increase your risk,” said Alan Schankel, managing director of fixed-income research at Janney Montgomery Scott LLC in Philadelphia.

“We’re stuck with it,” Knaack said. “But on the other hand, look at the potential we have. To me, we have a lot more potential because of it.”

Always the "potential". At least Glendale can keep telling themselves that... we have potential. Too bad "potential" doesn't pay the bills.

That's old data.....

Housing prices have been steadily climbing since then.

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,7028548.story

Quote:
Home prices increased 21.3% in Arizona, the most of any state. California saw a 9% increase. Prices increased from October 2011 in all but five states -- Alabama, Delaware, Illinois, New Jersey and Rhode Island.

The Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale area in Arizona had the largest year-over-year price increase of any metro area, at 24.5%. The Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario metro area was second at 7.3%. And the Los Angeles area was fourth at 6.4%.

Old
01-01-2013, 03:42 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

As a treat to myself, AND TO ALL OF YOU, for my 5,000th post I am going to republish... THE LIST!!!!

1) The NHL will sell GJ the Coyotes for ~$75M to $100M.

2) The NHL will announce a sale price of $175M.

3) The GWI will huff and puff but do nothing.

4) The NHL will continue to say that they have NO plans for expansion.

5) The NHL will enter a negotiation with the NHLPA and insist on a 50-50 revenue sharing.

6) The NHLPA will say “HELL NO!!!!!”.

7) The NHL will then say “I’ll tell you what. You give us 50% and we will expand by 2 teams”.

8) The NHLPA will agree.

9) The gap between the ceiling and floor will increase – making the Coyote more inexpensive to run. The players will also get to play in Sochi in 2014.

10) The NHL will expand to QC in around 2014. The BoG will put a cool $200M in their pocket that they don’t have to share with the players.

11) The NHL will also expand to either Seattle (for $150 - $200M) or Toronto (2 for $300M). Again, the players will see none of it.

12) Gary Bettman will look like a hero which will makes us all feel a little sicker at night.

I can already hear the gnashing of teeth as more and more posters see more and more of it coming true.

Closed Thread