HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXVII; Route66 - Aftermath

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-01-2013, 03:47 PM
  #326
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!
 
KevyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
4) The NHL will continue to say that they have NO plans for expansion.

7) The NHL will then say “I’ll tell you what. You give us 50% and we will expand by 2 teams”.

8) The NHLPA will agree.

10) The NHL will expand to QC in around 2014. The BoG will put a cool $200M in their pocket that they don’t have to share with the players.

11) The NHL will also expand to either Seattle (for $150 - $200M) or Toronto (2 for $300M). Again, the players will see none of it.
On PTS yesterday, John Shannon mentioned how the NHLPA considered putting the sharing of expansion money on the table but decided against it knowing it would be something the NHL would never agree to.

As Hannibal (on the A Team) use to say... "I love it when a LIST comes together."


KevyD is online now  
Old
01-01-2013, 03:51 PM
  #327
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
And so instead, with the money youve saved and some time on your hands, why not head down to Phoenix for the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction and a round of Golf at Talking Stick in Scottsdale? Take in a Sun Dogs game in Prescott? Comfortable average temperatures of about +17C, compared to Toronto, which feels like -12.
Actually I know a guy who has a house in Phoenix and a few are going down in a week or two. I suppose I could have tagged along, only thing is they play cards alot and plan on spending most of the time in Vegas. When not there I imagine they'll be playing cards at the house. So I never got involved with the excursion.

In years past they always went to Yotes games, would have been pretty coincidental if I ended up in Westgate watching the Yotes.


Last edited by Confucius: 01-01-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Confucius is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 04:16 PM
  #328
GF
Registered User
 
GF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
As a treat to myself, AND TO ALL OF YOU, for my 5,000th post I am going to republish... THE LIST!!!!

1) The NHL will sell GJ the Coyotes for ~$75M to $100M.
I think right there, the list is wrong...
In 30 days we'll know. I don't see this happening at all. Even if GB wanted to sell the team for 75m$, I don't see the BoG agreeing to that. I even doubt GJ could afford them, even at that price.

GF is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 04:21 PM
  #329
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
I think right there, the list is wrong...
In 30 days we'll know. I don't see this happening at all. Even if GB wanted to sell the team for 75m$, I don't see the BoG agreeing to that. I even doubt GJ could afford them, even at that price.
If the NHL planned to sell the team for that low a price, it would have been done a long time ago. Heck, I think Reinsdorf would have purchased the team for $75 million along with the deal on the table for Jamison. I know that KevyD likes the "list", but this item on the list seems hard to reconcile with the facts and the history of this saga.

Whileee is online now  
Old
01-01-2013, 04:27 PM
  #330
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!
 
KevyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
I think right there, the list is wrong...
In 30 days we'll know. I don't see this happening at all. Even if GB wanted to sell the team for 75m$, I don't see the BoG agreeing to that. I even doubt GJ could afford them, even at that price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
If the NHL planned to sell the team for that low a price, it would have been done a long time ago. Heck, I think Reinsdorf would have purchased the team for $75 million along with the deal on the table for Jamison. I know that KevyD likes the "list", but this item on the list seems hard to reconcile with the facts and the history of this saga.
We'll see boys, we'll see. How I see it playing out (perhaps I need to publish a SubList to break down each point )...

The NHL will sell to GJ and announce a selling price of ~$175M. Then, over the next couple weeks, stories will appear in newspapers, on PTS and on the internet that the team really sold for half that amount.

The List has a momentum all its own. There is no stopping it!!! There is no way to even slow it down! It is done!!!


KevyD is online now  
Old
01-01-2013, 04:37 PM
  #331
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine
 
OthmarAmmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
We'll see boys, we'll see. How I see it playing out (perhaps I need to publish a SubList to break down each point )...

The NHL will sell to GJ and announce a selling price of ~$175M. Then, over the next couple weeks, stories will appear in newspapers, on PTS and on the internet that the team really sold for half that amount.

The List has a momentum all its own. There is no stopping it!!! There is no way to even slow it down! It is done!!!

So you think the NHL will take a $100 million loss? Do you think it'll be split equally?

OthmarAmmann is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 04:39 PM
  #332
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
So you think the NHL will take a $100 million loss? Do you think it'll be split equally?
Nah they'll just ask the Rangers, Leafs and Habs to write a cheque and call it rev sharing with the league.

Confucius is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 04:40 PM
  #333
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine
 
OthmarAmmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I can already hear the gnashing of teeth as more and more posters see more and more of it coming true.
In what way, specifically?

OthmarAmmann is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 04:43 PM
  #334
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!
 
KevyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
In what way, specifically?
See post 326...

The NHLPA knows expansion is coming. They also know the owners will NOT share any of it.


KevyD is online now  
Old
01-01-2013, 04:47 PM
  #335
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
That's old data.....

Housing prices have been steadily climbing since then.]
I think if you read it again and consider the context, you will see that the historical data is used on purpose. Visionary Goke is attempting to explain away the financial disaster by listing some stats on city revenue declines. Of course, the financial analysts are pointing out that Glendale is run by idiots who elevated their risk by subsidizing non-viable operations like the Coyotes. Otherwise, the city would have endured the recessionary revenue declines without needing to implement austerity measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L
In what way, specifically?
Oh boy...

CasualFan is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 05:25 PM
  #336
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
I can understand Pat's POV. They (QC) had a team once and lost it due to economic factors (most not of their doing). I truly feel they just want a team back.... regardless of how it happens.

Moving the Coyotes franchise currently offers the shortest and quickest way to achieve that. But they'd probably be happy with an expansion team if that were in the works too.
Well I can't speak for the Nords fans but why would they want expansion over relocation. Look at how long it takes expansion teams to get to contender status. They lost a team that went on to win the Cup 3 times and after a 16 year wait they are expected to then endure a 5-10 building period?

I went through that with the Browns. Browns fans wanted expansion because of the success of the Panthers and Jags and they didn't want to take someone else's team like Bmore did to us. We have gotten 14 years of garbage.

Lastly, if we assume the league is willing to go to 32 teams, it would still be better for everyone other than Phoenix fans for the Coyotes to go to QC so that the 2 new slots can be filled by teams in better markets (GTA, Hamilton, Seattle) than Phoenix

aqib is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 05:38 PM
  #337
19Yzerman19
Registered User
 
19Yzerman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Well I can't speak for the Nords fans but why would they want expansion over relocation. Look at how long it takes expansion teams to get to contender status. They lost a team that went on to win the Cup 3 times and after a 16 year wait they are expected to then endure a 5-10 building period?

I went through that with the Browns. Browns fans wanted expansion because of the success of the Panthers and Jags and they didn't want to take someone else's team like Bmore did to us. We have gotten 14 years of garbage.

Lastly, if we assume the league is willing to go to 32 teams, it would still be better for everyone other than Phoenix fans for the Coyotes to go to QC so that the 2 new slots can be filled by teams in better markets (GTA, Hamilton, Seattle) than Phoenix
Hate to break it to you BUT that team doesn't win 3 cups if it stays in QC

19Yzerman19 is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 05:40 PM
  #338
19Yzerman19
Registered User
 
19Yzerman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Hate to break it to you BUT that team doesn't win 3 cups if it stays in QC
Correction they didn't even win 3

19Yzerman19 is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 05:44 PM
  #339
Patofqc
Registered User
 
Patofqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Well I can't speak for the Nords fans but why would they want expansion over relocation. Look at how long it takes expansion teams to get to contender status. They lost a team that went on to win the Cup 3 times and after a 16 year wait they are expected to then endure a 5-10 building period?

I went through that with the Browns. Browns fans wanted expansion because of the success of the Panthers and Jags and they didn't want to take someone else's team like Bmore did to us. We have gotten 14 years of garbage.

Lastly, if we assume the league is willing to go to 32 teams, it would still be better for everyone other than Phoenix fans for the Coyotes to go to QC so that the 2 new slots can be filled by teams in better markets (GTA, Hamilton, Seattle) than Phoenix
An expansion team is a million time better then no team... just saying... Let say there is an expansion in 2015, at least the Nords would have a chance to draft Mcdavid, the young ontario sensation

Patofqc is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 06:07 PM
  #340
aqib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Correction they didn't even win 3
Sorry 2. Its New Years Day, I am a little off.

aqib is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 06:21 PM
  #341
Conflicted Habs fan
Registered User
 
Conflicted Habs fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 523
vCash: 130
Seen this in the comment section of a cbc article
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...nhl-talks.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbc
...No league that includes Phoenix should come out of this lockout, because Phoenix is the best and biggest symbol of what is wrong and why this will keep happening.
This Summarizes well why there was a lockout and why there will continue to be lockouts:
a) Southern belt expansion in non hockey markets
b) Those who view the game only in terms of business without interest in the game.
c) Hockey viewed as a novelty, not as a national passion
d) Players viewed not as heroes but as cattle
c) Americanization of a Canadian product by means of mass consumer gimmickery and cheap promotionalism aimed at the lowest common denominator in American TV, also associated with corporate culture of cut throat anti-labour tactics befitting an offshore Chinese sweat shop

Conflicted Habs fan is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 06:36 PM
  #342
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Anxiety Closet
Country: United States
Posts: 3,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
I think if you read it again and consider the context, you will see that the historical data is used on purpose. Visionary Goke is attempting to explain away the financial disaster by listing some stats on city revenue declines. Of course, the financial analysts are pointing out that Glendale is run by idiots who elevated their risk by subsidizing non-viable operations like the Coyotes. Otherwise, the city would have endured the recessionary revenue declines without needing to implement austerity measures.

Wasn't my intent to challenge what Glendale has done to create the mess they're in (that's too obvious), but to point out that it isn't all doom and gloom and that the situation is beginning to turn itself around.

TheLegend is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 06:43 PM
  #343
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!
 
KevyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Wasn't my intent to challenge what Glendale has done to create the mess they're in (that's too obvious), but to point out that it isn't all doom and gloom and that the situation is beginning to turn itself around.
Hey!!! Check out Post 107 of the If the NHL comes back, there has to be a big expansion thread. It is the Canadian version of TheLegend.

KevyD is online now  
Old
01-01-2013, 07:16 PM
  #344
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost
 
MAROONSRoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Maroons Rd.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
As a treat to myself, AND TO ALL OF YOU, for my 5,000th post I am going to republish... THE LIST!!!!

1) The NHL will sell GJ the Coyotes for ~$75M to $100M.

2) The NHL will announce a sale price of $175M.

3) The GWI will huff and puff but do nothing.

4) The NHL will continue to say that they have NO plans for expansion.

5) The NHL will enter a negotiation with the NHLPA and insist on a 50-50 revenue sharing.

6) The NHLPA will say “HELL NO!!!!!”.

7) The NHL will then say “I’ll tell you what. You give us 50% and we will expand by 2 teams”.

8) The NHLPA will agree.

9) The gap between the ceiling and floor will increase – making the Coyote more inexpensive to run. The players will also get to play in Sochi in 2014.

10) The NHL will expand to QC in around 2014. The BoG will put a cool $200M in their pocket that they don’t have to share with the players.

11) The NHL will also expand to either Seattle (for $150 - $200M) or Toronto (2 for $300M). Again, the players will see none of it.

12) Gary Bettman will look like a hero which will makes us all feel a little sicker at night.


I can already hear the gnashing of teeth as more and more posters see more and more of it coming true.
What's the point?

MAROONSRoad is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 07:21 PM
  #345
Retail1LO
Registered User
 
Retail1LO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 4,772
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
I still think it's funny that anyone thinks the players SHOULD see any of the money made from expansion fees.

As if they don't benefit already by having more jobs open up for them to make millions.

Retail1LO is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 08:13 PM
  #346
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!
 
KevyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROONSRoad View Post
What's the point?
The Point??? The point is The List is almost a year old. Yes, you heard it right, A YEAR OLD!!! Not a month old. Not a week. Not a day. 1 YEAR OLD!!!
Not since the Book of Daniel have words of prophecy been so accurate. Not since the Book of Daniel have they changed so many lives.


Last edited by KevyD: 01-01-2013 at 08:24 PM.
KevyD is online now  
Old
01-01-2013, 08:19 PM
  #347
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Wasn't my intent to challenge what Glendale has done to create the mess they're in (that's too obvious), but to point out that it isn't all doom and gloom and that the situation is beginning to turn itself around.
Right. I was saying that the reference to property values in the article was not intended to be a discussion of the current conditions and, accordingly, pointing out the data was old made very little sense.

As for the situation turning itself around, if you are exclusively referring to property values rebounding, sure. But the financial situation for Glendale most certainly is doom and gloom and the execution of the JIG Lease would make it exponentially worse. Or as Othmar succinctly put it: Glendale is going to get the piss kicked out of itself.

But there are also other perspectives to consider. From the vantage point of the NHL, JIG, or a fan who just wants to watch games, it's decided less doomy and gloomy.

CasualFan is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 09:06 PM
  #348
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit
 
Evil Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cambridge, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
As a treat to myself, AND TO ALL OF YOU, for my 5,000th post I am going to republish... THE LIST!!!!
The list? Oh dear...



I'm afraid it got barbecued this past November...

Evil Doctor is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 09:32 PM
  #349
Roughneck
Registered User
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,610
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
I'm still waiting for item 1) to be partially right before I bother with readin the rest.

Partially of course being 'the NHL sells the Coyotes to GJ...'

Roughneck is offline  
Old
01-01-2013, 09:38 PM
  #350
Mightygoose
Registered User
 
Mightygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ajax, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,152
vCash: 514
Is there any rule to 'the list' being fulfilled in order ? If not I'm looking forward to it's completion to the T.

Mightygoose is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.