HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXVII; Route66 - Aftermath

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2013, 03:47 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
4) The NHL will continue to say that they have NO plans for expansion.

7) The NHL will then say “I’ll tell you what. You give us 50% and we will expand by 2 teams”.

8) The NHLPA will agree.

10) The NHL will expand to QC in around 2014. The BoG will put a cool $200M in their pocket that they don’t have to share with the players.

11) The NHL will also expand to either Seattle (for $150 - $200M) or Toronto (2 for $300M). Again, the players will see none of it.
On PTS yesterday, John Shannon mentioned how the NHLPA considered putting the sharing of expansion money on the table but decided against it knowing it would be something the NHL would never agree to.

As Hannibal (on the A Team) use to say... "I love it when a LIST comes together."

Old
01-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
And so instead, with the money youve saved and some time on your hands, why not head down to Phoenix for the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction and a round of Golf at Talking Stick in Scottsdale? Take in a Sun Dogs game in Prescott? Comfortable average temperatures of about +17C, compared to Toronto, which feels like -12.
Actually I know a guy who has a house in Phoenix and a few are going down in a week or two. I suppose I could have tagged along, only thing is they play cards alot and plan on spending most of the time in Vegas. When not there I imagine they'll be playing cards at the house. So I never got involved with the excursion.

In years past they always went to Yotes games, would have been pretty coincidental if I ended up in Westgate watching the Yotes.

Last edited by Confucius: 01-01-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old
01-01-2013, 04:16 PM
GF

Quote:
As a treat to myself, AND TO ALL OF YOU, for my 5,000th post I am going to republish... THE LIST!!!!

1) The NHL will sell GJ the Coyotes for ~$75M to $100M.
I think right there, the list is wrong...
In 30 days we'll know. I don't see this happening at all. Even if GB wanted to sell the team for 75m$, I don't see the BoG agreeing to that. I even doubt GJ could afford them, even at that price.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
In 30 days we'll know. I don't see this happening at all. Even if GB wanted to sell the team for 75m$, I don't see the BoG agreeing to that. I even doubt GJ could afford them, even at that price.
If the NHL planned to sell the team for that low a price, it would have been done a long time ago. Heck, I think Reinsdorf would have purchased the team for $75 million along with the deal on the table for Jamison. I know that KevyD likes the "list", but this item on the list seems hard to reconcile with the facts and the history of this saga.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:27 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
If the NHL planned to sell the team for that low a price, it would have been done a long time ago. Heck, I think Reinsdorf would have purchased the team for $75 million along with the deal on the table for Jamison. I know that KevyD likes the "list", but this item on the list seems hard to reconcile with the facts and the history of this saga.
We'll see boys, we'll see. How I see it playing out (perhaps I need to publish a SubList to break down each point )...

The NHL will sell to GJ and announce a selling price of ~$175M. Then, over the next couple weeks, stories will appear in newspapers, on PTS and on the internet that the team really sold for half that amount.

The List has a momentum all its own. There is no stopping it!!! There is no way to even slow it down! It is done!!!

Old
01-01-2013, 04:37 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
We'll see boys, we'll see. How I see it playing out (perhaps I need to publish a SubList to break down each point )...

The NHL will sell to GJ and announce a selling price of ~$175M. Then, over the next couple weeks, stories will appear in newspapers, on PTS and on the internet that the team really sold for half that amount.

The List has a momentum all its own. There is no stopping it!!! There is no way to even slow it down! It is done!!!

So you think the NHL will take a $100 million loss? Do you think it'll be split equally?

Old
01-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
So you think the NHL will take a $100 million loss? Do you think it'll be split equally?
Nah they'll just ask the Rangers, Leafs and Habs to write a cheque and call it rev sharing with the league.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:40 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
I can already hear the gnashing of teeth as more and more posters see more and more of it coming true.
In what way, specifically?

Old
01-01-2013, 04:43 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
See post 326...

The NHLPA knows expansion is coming. They also know the owners will NOT share any of it.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:47 PM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
That's old data.....

Housing prices have been steadily climbing since then.]
I think if you read it again and consider the context, you will see that the historical data is used on purpose. Visionary Goke is attempting to explain away the financial disaster by listing some stats on city revenue declines. Of course, the financial analysts are pointing out that Glendale is run by idiots who elevated their risk by subsidizing non-viable operations like the Coyotes. Otherwise, the city would have endured the recessionary revenue declines without needing to implement austerity measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L
Oh boy...

Old
01-01-2013, 05:25 PM
aqib

Quote:
I can understand Pat's POV. They (QC) had a team once and lost it due to economic factors (most not of their doing). I truly feel they just want a team back.... regardless of how it happens.

Moving the Coyotes franchise currently offers the shortest and quickest way to achieve that. But they'd probably be happy with an expansion team if that were in the works too.
Well I can't speak for the Nords fans but why would they want expansion over relocation. Look at how long it takes expansion teams to get to contender status. They lost a team that went on to win the Cup 3 times and after a 16 year wait they are expected to then endure a 5-10 building period?

I went through that with the Browns. Browns fans wanted expansion because of the success of the Panthers and Jags and they didn't want to take someone else's team like Bmore did to us. We have gotten 14 years of garbage.

Lastly, if we assume the league is willing to go to 32 teams, it would still be better for everyone other than Phoenix fans for the Coyotes to go to QC so that the 2 new slots can be filled by teams in better markets (GTA, Hamilton, Seattle) than Phoenix

Old
01-01-2013, 05:38 PM
19Yzerman19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Well I can't speak for the Nords fans but why would they want expansion over relocation. Look at how long it takes expansion teams to get to contender status. They lost a team that went on to win the Cup 3 times and after a 16 year wait they are expected to then endure a 5-10 building period?

I went through that with the Browns. Browns fans wanted expansion because of the success of the Panthers and Jags and they didn't want to take someone else's team like Bmore did to us. We have gotten 14 years of garbage.

Lastly, if we assume the league is willing to go to 32 teams, it would still be better for everyone other than Phoenix fans for the Coyotes to go to QC so that the 2 new slots can be filled by teams in better markets (GTA, Hamilton, Seattle) than Phoenix
Hate to break it to you BUT that team doesn't win 3 cups if it stays in QC

Old
01-01-2013, 05:40 PM
19Yzerman19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Hate to break it to you BUT that team doesn't win 3 cups if it stays in QC
Correction they didn't even win 3

Old
01-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Patofqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post

An expansion team is a million time better then no team... just saying... Let say there is an expansion in 2015, at least the Nords would have a chance to draft Mcdavid, the young ontario sensation

Old
01-01-2013, 06:07 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Correction they didn't even win 3
Sorry 2. Its New Years Day, I am a little off.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

vCash: 130
Seen this in the comment section of a cbc article
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...nhl-talks.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbc
...No league that includes Phoenix should come out of this lockout, because Phoenix is the best and biggest symbol of what is wrong and why this will keep happening.
This Summarizes well why there was a lockout and why there will continue to be lockouts:
a) Southern belt expansion in non hockey markets
b) Those who view the game only in terms of business without interest in the game.
c) Hockey viewed as a novelty, not as a national passion
d) Players viewed not as heroes but as cattle
c) Americanization of a Canadian product by means of mass consumer gimmickery and cheap promotionalism aimed at the lowest common denominator in American TV, also associated with corporate culture of cut throat anti-labour tactics befitting an offshore Chinese sweat shop

Old
01-01-2013, 06:36 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
I think if you read it again and consider the context, you will see that the historical data is used on purpose. Visionary Goke is attempting to explain away the financial disaster by listing some stats on city revenue declines. Of course, the financial analysts are pointing out that Glendale is run by idiots who elevated their risk by subsidizing non-viable operations like the Coyotes. Otherwise, the city would have endured the recessionary revenue declines without needing to implement austerity measures.

Wasn't my intent to challenge what Glendale has done to create the mess they're in (that's too obvious), but to point out that it isn't all doom and gloom and that the situation is beginning to turn itself around.

Old
01-01-2013, 06:43 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Wasn't my intent to challenge what Glendale has done to create the mess they're in (that's too obvious), but to point out that it isn't all doom and gloom and that the situation is beginning to turn itself around.
Hey!!! Check out Post 107 of the If the NHL comes back, there has to be a big expansion thread. It is the Canadian version of TheLegend.

Old
01-01-2013, 07:16 PM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Quote:
As a treat to myself, AND TO ALL OF YOU, for my 5,000th post I am going to republish... THE LIST!!!!

1) The NHL will sell GJ the Coyotes for ~$75M to $100M.

2) The NHL will announce a sale price of $175M.

3) The GWI will huff and puff but do nothing.

4) The NHL will continue to say that they have NO plans for expansion.

5) The NHL will enter a negotiation with the NHLPA and insist on a 50-50 revenue sharing.

6) The NHLPA will say “HELL NO!!!!!”.

7) The NHL will then say “I’ll tell you what. You give us 50% and we will expand by 2 teams”.

8) The NHLPA will agree.

9) The gap between the ceiling and floor will increase – making the Coyote more inexpensive to run. The players will also get to play in Sochi in 2014.

10) The NHL will expand to QC in around 2014. The BoG will put a cool $200M in their pocket that they don’t have to share with the players.

11) The NHL will also expand to either Seattle (for $150 - $200M) or Toronto (2 for $300M). Again, the players will see none of it.

12) Gary Bettman will look like a hero which will makes us all feel a little sicker at night.

I can already hear the gnashing of teeth as more and more posters see more and more of it coming true.
What's the point?

Old
01-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
I still think it's funny that anyone thinks the players SHOULD see any of the money made from expansion fees.

As if they don't benefit already by having more jobs open up for them to make millions.

Old
01-01-2013, 08:13 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROONSRoad View Post
What's the point?
The Point??? The point is The List is almost a year old. Yes, you heard it right, A YEAR OLD!!! Not a month old. Not a week. Not a day. 1 YEAR OLD!!!
Not since the Book of Daniel have words of prophecy been so accurate. Not since the Book of Daniel have they changed so many lives.

Last edited by KevyD: 01-01-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old
01-01-2013, 08:19 PM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Right. I was saying that the reference to property values in the article was not intended to be a discussion of the current conditions and, accordingly, pointing out the data was old made very little sense.

As for the situation turning itself around, if you are exclusively referring to property values rebounding, sure. But the financial situation for Glendale most certainly is doom and gloom and the execution of the JIG Lease would make it exponentially worse. Or as Othmar succinctly put it: Glendale is going to get the piss kicked out of itself.

But there are also other perspectives to consider. From the vantage point of the NHL, JIG, or a fan who just wants to watch games, it's decided less doomy and gloomy.

Old
01-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
The list? Oh dear...

I'm afraid it got barbecued this past November...

Old
01-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
I'm still waiting for item 1) to be partially right before I bother with readin the rest.

Partially of course being 'the NHL sells the Coyotes to GJ...'

Old
01-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
Is there any rule to 'the list' being fulfilled in order ? If not I'm looking forward to it's completion to the T.

Closed Thread