HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix LXVII; Route66 - Aftermath

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 05:09 PM
mesamonster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Not disagreeing with you, but would you spend money promoting something you don't even own and may never own?

Jamison is still looking for investors ( according to web reports ) and I would imagine that's a little more important to him right now than trying to sell season tickets.
Thats precisely my point! If you had even a modicum of confidence you would be down here gearing up for the inevitable closing of the deal and the start of the season under your ownership. His absence is a pretty strong indicator that he has no intention of purchasing this team. If he is actually going to go through with this debacle his confidence must be pretty low!

Old
01-09-2013, 05:11 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
you lost me after the bolded part ...
You know what i mean!

Old
01-09-2013, 05:28 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
You know what i mean!
yep and i agree.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:33 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Just heard it from some people who said they saw these deals. I can't confirm it, however, if it has the same kind of validity as the vodka ticket giveaways which were true, then its more of a drive-"thru" situation wouldn't you say
You did hear too that every season ticket holder gets a new 12 Month lease on the Audi of their choice, with free maintenance and free gas, with unlimited mileage and free liability insurance? In case you were wondering why anyone would buy season tickets when they can get a pair of seats to any game for the price of a 99 cent Taco... every year a brand new Audi just for buying those $30 per season tickets?

and did you hear the Suns only offer a little two year old just off lease Kia Rio (no gas, no maintenance, no insurance) for full season tickets? and the Cardinals don't even offer that - you have to buy four season tickets just to get a free parking pass from them?

Maybe it's not so much that we'll miss the hockey if the team moves; sure we'll miss it, but maybe not so much as we'll miss that free Audi

It's the internet - lies, more lies, and damn lies.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Evil Doctor
Damn you Taylor Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Quoting Sunnucks who's quoted a Forbes estimate??? That said it all...
I will actually give Sunnucks this one. Forbes numbers may be guesses, but they are educated guesses and in the absence of hard data, it's the best number we have.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:41 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
You did hear too that every season ticket holder gets a new 12 Month lease on the Audi of their choice, with free maintenance and free gas, with unlimited mileage and free liability insurance? In case you were wondering why anyone would buy season tickets when they can get a pair of seats to any game for the price of a 99 cent Taco... every year a brand new Audi just for buying those $30 per season tickets?

and did you hear the Suns only offer a little two year old just off lease Kia Rio (no gas, no maintenance, no insurance) for full season tickets? and the Cardinals don't even offer that - you have to buy four season tickets just to get a free parking pass from them?

Maybe it's not so much that we'll miss the hockey if the team moves; sure we'll miss it, but maybe not so much as we'll miss that free Audi

It's the internet - lies, more lies, and damn lies.
The problem with posting this bit of Swiftian satire is that some people are going to take this as gospel truth.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:47 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
The problem with posting this bit of Swiftian satire is that some people are going to take this as gospel truth.
it helps explain the losses... figure the cost of that free lease for 12 months with gas, maintenace and liability insurance at an average of $10K per car and 4000 cars every year, less whatever they can sell the 1 year old cars for when they get them back... also helps explain the 95% renewal... best kept secret in the league!

(I did PM you this, right? Have to guard the secret after all. Just kidding, I know I PM'd this...)

Old
01-09-2013, 08:26 PM
TheLegend
43rd TankBuster Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Just heard it from some people who said they saw these deals. I can't confirm it, however, if it has the same kind of validity as the vodka ticket giveaways which were true, then its more of a drive-"thru" situation wouldn't you say
Good play.... even I can appreciate good humor.

Seriously I would not doubt it if such an offer exists. But I haven't seen any yet.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:35 PM
TheLegend
43rd TankBuster Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
I will actually give Sunnucks this one. Forbes numbers may be guesses, but they are educated guesses and in the absence of hard data, it's the best number we have.
Granted.... but when people keep insisting (or pretending) the numbers are hard ones that's when I challenge it. I'm okay with discussing estimates, provided everyone understands it.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:05 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Granted.... but when people keep insisting (or pretending) the numbers are hard ones that's when I challenge it. I'm okay with discussing estimates, provided everyone understands it.
Ok, so my estimate is that the team is a perennial loser of $35-40MM! Just working off of public information! Legend, you claim the number is $15MM, my question is how do you arrive at that figure?

Old
01-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
... figure the cost of that free lease for 12 months with gas, maintenace and liability insurance at an average of $10K per car and 4000 cars every year, less whatever they can sell the 1 year old cars for when they get them back...
Well, where were you with this brilliant suggestion when Moyes was around? Couldve run this promotion through Swift, messed with the odometers impeding mileage counts, then overcharged the Seasons Ticket Holders on the buy-out or re-sale on the vehicles and avoided all these problems. Jerry's got all kinds of experience in that area. Just ask any of the independent truckers who've ever leased a Kenworth, Mac or Volvo from him.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Dado

vCash:
Ok, I think I've figured out what's going on - Jamieson was waiting for Burke to get fired.

Now he can hire him to run the team, relocate the franchise to Hamilton, and "Toronto" can finally get its cup championship.

Everybody wins!

Old
01-09-2013, 09:39 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Well, where were you with this brilliant suggestion when Moyes was around? Couldve run this promotion through Swift, messed with the odometers impeding mileage counts, then overcharged the Seasons Ticket Holders on the buy-out or re-sale on the vehicles and avoided all these problems. Jerry's got all kinds of experience in that area. Just ask any of the independent truckers who've ever leased a Kenworth, Mac or Volvo from him.
Oh, was that early 2009? I was probably busy advising Rod Blagojevich... or was that early 2008? I was probably busy advising Roger Clemons...but yeah, missed an opportunity there with Jerry...

Old
01-10-2013, 01:39 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

With all the Lockout stuff, is there going to be anybody at the Coyotes arena in Glendale at the start of this season?

Old
01-10-2013, 02:55 AM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
With all the Lockout stuff, is there going to be anybody at the Coyotes arena in Glendale at the start of this season?
Maybe that's what they are waiting on to find out. If 47 people show up opening night, the NHL and Jamison might just decide it's better to just pull the plug.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:30 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Maybe that's what they are waiting on to find out. If 47 people show up opening night, the NHL and Jamison might just decide it's better to just pull the plug.
If they are 47 people close they should have pulled the plug a few years ago.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:44 AM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Quote:
They have a decent showing even if the NHL has to empty five or six high school to make sure.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:02 AM
aj8000

vCash: 50
Quote:
I would say they will have a very respectable showing for the first home game. If I was a betting man, I would bet the Yotes will have a sell out for the first game back.

Attendance is not really the problem guys and gals, they are only a couple thousand or so short of the Jets maximum.

It all comes down to increasing the ticket prices and revenues.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:17 AM
cbcwpg

Selling out the building in this market or any market isn't the problem... making money while doing it, is.

Every market has a price point that will allow you to sell out every game. The trick is finding that price point and hopefully it is at a point that will make you money. A couple of posters on here have been having a back and forth battle as to how much money the Coyotes have lost each year. The funny thing to note about that is neither poster is claiming the Coyotes actually make money, they are just fighting over how much the Coyotes are in the hole.

They are fighting over the size of the crater....That tells me a lot about the viability of this team.

Last edited by cbcwpg: 01-10-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old
01-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Slashers98

I don't know if that has been already been posted but the Phoenix Coyotes lost $36.6 MM in 2010-11 and here's the proof: http://www.azcentral.com/ic/communit...es-invoice.pdf

Old
01-10-2013, 09:00 AM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj8000 View Post
I would say they will have a very respectable showing for the first home game. If I was a betting man, I would bet the Yotes will have a sell out for the first game back.

Attendance is not really the problem guys and gals, they are only a couple thousand or so short of the Jets maximum.

You say this because selling out their first game back would be positive news. You are heading it off at the pass by saying 'hey! Look over here! Don't look at that better than expected attendance. It's the big picture that is the flavor of the day.'

Selling out that arena would be a good thing for all. But since the Jets are doing well in attendance for now, you can put this out there. Plus the Jets have nothing to do with this at all.

And to correct you respectfully, attendance is part of the puzzle and filling the arena is part of solving this problem because it shows support of the team. IF ticket prices sky rocketed the first year of ownership, that would be the worst idea and business model ever.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:04 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj8000 View Post

you cannot be serious.

regardless, I also hope opening nite is a sellout. it would be the respectful thing to do for such a great season last year. hanging the banner will be a great moment for diehard fans, im sure.

it's a shame that bettman et al. were unable to harness the momentum of last years deep playoff run and give this hypothetical new lease on life a fighting chance.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:25 AM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
If they are 47 people close they should have pulled the plug a few years ago.
I will be 1 of those 47, my wife & my son will be two more of them. But I can't afford to bring 44 more people, so I'm going to need some help getting the attendance up.

Thanks in advance to all who can help and choose to do so!

Old
01-10-2013, 09:42 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Quote:
Coyotes attendance tends to improve after December. If anything I'd anticipate their average attendance for the year would be better than last seasons.

Who would htey lose do to a lockout? Not sure they'll lose any diehard fans due to a lockout that is trying o help their teams bototm line. Don't thnik the snowbirds will be staying away cause of it either. The marginal fans and families who go for affordable entertainment probably didn't even notice the lockout.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Fidel Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post
IF ticket prices sky rocketed the first year of ownership, that would be the worst idea and business model ever.
I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but isn't that pretty much what they have to do?

In all seriousness, I think everyone knows the Coyotes are very unlikely to sell out every game, even with a new owner, so they're going to have to do something to increase the amount of money they take in. Isn't increasing the prices the only possible solution?

Closed Thread