HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXVII; Route66 - Aftermath

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2013, 12:44 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Have you never heard of that novel concept the rest of us call "joking around"?

Pull that bee out of your bonnet and lighten up.
Heh..... I'm not the one who's obsessing over this franchise.

Besides.... If I had made some similar cheeky comment about Winnipeg or Quebec City, I'm sure my inbox would be lit up like a Christmas tree.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:50 AM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=32927

And the actual interview is at:

http://www.azsportstalk.com/

Around the 7:30 mark of the Coyotes President Mike Nealy 1-10-13 podcast
Thanks.... switched browsers and was able to hear the interview.

Nealy's actual statement on STH sales was something along the lines of "best since the 1999 season". That doesn't say much unless you have some hard data to go along with it.

So really it offered nothing new.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post

Besides.... If I had made some similar cheeky comment about Winnipeg or Quebec City, I'm sure my inbox would be lit up like a Christmas tree.
Meh, "cheeky comments" from the desert about us or our franchises just don't seem to hold any value anymore

Old
01-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:

Mean no offense by this, but....shouldn't you be?

If more Arizonians obsessed over the Coyotes, this whole mess wouldn't be dragging on as long as it has....

01-12-2013, 02:57 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Meh, "cheeky comments" from the desert about us or our franchises just don't seem to hold any value anymore
I may need to fire up another "transcript" soon....

Old
01-12-2013, 03:38 PM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post

If more Arizonians obsessed over the Coyotes, this whole mess wouldn't be dragging on as long as it has....
I certainly hope you are kidding. This is probably the most short-sighted comment about this saga that I've ever seen. No offense.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:47 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post
I certainly hope you are kidding. This is probably the most short-sighted comment about this saga that I've ever seen. No offense.
Doesn't sound like he was kidding.

Why is the truth short-sighted, insulting, and otherwise mean to you? "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"

Old
01-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

I believe there's definitions for this...

Quote:
Myopic - my·op·ic [mahy-op-ik, -oh-pik]
adjective
1. Ophthalmology . pertaining to or having myopia; nearsighted.

2. unable or unwilling to act prudently; shortsighted.

3. lacking tolerance or understanding; narrow-minded.
Quote:
Myopia

1: a condition in which the visual images come to a focus in front of the retina of the eye resulting especially in defective vision of distant objects

2: a lack of foresight or discernment : a narrow view of something
Quote:
Myopia as metaphor

The terms "myopia" and "myopic" (or the common terms "shortsightedness" or "shortsighted", respectively) have been used metaphorically to refer to cognitive thinking and decision making that is narrow in scope or lacking in foresight or in concern for wider interests or for longer-term consequences.

It is often used to describe a decision that may be beneficial in the present, but detrimental in the future, or a viewpoint that fails to consider anything outside a very narrow and limited range. Hyperopia, the biological opposite of myopia, may also be used metaphorically for a value system or motivation that exhibits "farsighted" or possibly visionary thinking and behavior; that is, emphasizing long-term interests at the apparent expense of near-term benefit.
Quote:
Denial - de·ni·al noun \di-ˈnī(-ə)l, dē-\

2: a (1): refusal to admit the truth or reality (as of a statement or charge) (2): assertion that an allegation is false

5: negation in logic

Synonyms: declination, disallowance, nay, no, nonacceptance, refusal, rejection, turndown

Old
01-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Well what he said was only the obvious thruth. There is more people living in the Phoenix area then in Montreal, yet there is about 10000 people per game paying ridiculously low prices to attend the games. Its a bad hockey market yet i feel for those that are true die hard hockey fans there. I hope we can end the suffering real fast for these fans.

We will know within a month if it is the last year of the Coyotes, or this team will go on with Jamieson has the owner.

Last edited by Undertakerqc: 01-12-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old
01-12-2013, 06:27 PM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
Doesn't sound like he was kidding.

Why is the truth short-sighted, insulting, and otherwise mean to you? "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"
LOL, I didn't say it was mean. It basically puts the blame on fans not being interested as to why this has gone on so long. So, it isn't the truth at all. Completely unrelated statements tied together to make a sweeping generality seem true.

Not even close.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:31 PM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
I believe there's definitions for this...
So...fans not being 'obsessed' enough for someone's taste is the reason for this dragging on this long? Gotcha. Spot on. It's all so simple now.

I guess this means the Jets didn't stay in Winnipeg because their 5000 person 'rally' wasn't big enough? Using the same logic people. Nice.

Good luck with that...

Old
01-12-2013, 07:01 PM
David_99

Quote:
So...fans not being 'obsessed' enough
Fan (short for fanatic)

fa·nat·ic adjective \fə-ˈna-tik\
: marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion
See also "Obsession"

Old
01-12-2013, 07:04 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

vCash: 204
Quote:
LOL, I didn't say it was mean. It basically puts the blame on fans not being interested as to why this has gone on so long. So, it isn't the truth at all. Completely unrelated statements tied together to make a sweeping generality seem true.

Not even close.
If the building sold out for the past 15 years and the team turned a profit, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The fact remains there just isn't enough true fans like yourself in the market for the team to be viable.

Old
01-12-2013, 07:23 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post

No offense taken... but I think your definition of obsession in this case is different than mine.

But if I interpret your meaning of obsession is fan support in the context of attending games, buying merchandise, creating a larger TV ratings to increase revenue for the team then yes you would be correct.

Old
01-12-2013, 07:33 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
If the building sold out for the past 15 years and the team turned a profit, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

The fact remains there just isn't enough true fans like yourself in the market for the team to be viable.
What makes you think there couldn't be?

Remember the parameters here are vastly different than where you sit. And you can't treat it in cookie cutter fashion.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:29 PM
pondnorth

Quote:
So...fans not being 'obsessed' enough for someone's taste is the reason for this dragging on this long? Gotcha. Spot on. It's all so simple now.

I guess this means the Jets didn't stay in Winnipeg because their 5000 person 'rally' wasn't big enough? Using the same logic people. Nice.

Good luck with that...
Actually it was 35 000 and in the end most people understood we could not afford it at that time.Common sense, not shared everywhere.

Old
01-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Nice try. The rally was about 35,000 t0 40,000.

Next..................................

Old
01-12-2013, 09:13 PM
blues10

So GJ and the JSG have still not purchased the Coyotes?

Is there some form of a hold-up?

Any chance GJ drops the puck at the Coyotes home opener?

There can't be many more powerball draws before the 31st. This thing looks to bemoving along at a snails pace.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:36 PM
pondnorth

Quote:
No offense taken... but I think your definition of obsession in this case is different than mine.

But if I interpret your meaning of obsession is fan support in the context of attending games, buying merchandise, creating a larger TV ratings to increase revenue for the team then yes you would be correct.
Good post. Yes i said that.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:

That's exactly what I meant, thanks for making that connection. The team bleeds money with fan interest so low. If those same fans filled the seats, things would look somewhat rosier down in Glendale I'm sure, and we're not 67,000+ posts into this mess.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:42 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
So GJ and the JSG have still not purchased the Coyotes?

Is there some form of a hold-up?

Any chance GJ drops the puck at the Coyotes home opener?

There can't be many more powerball draws before the 31st. This thing looks to bemoving along at a snails pace.
I think gramps Jamison lost his part playing the straw man role when the NHLPA ratified the new CBA. Hope Bettman and Daly liked what they saw out of him and hire him for a bit part with NHL in house productions, if he's living in New York he may also find some off Broadway work, there's always a part playing the old silver haired business exec., grandfather, older (much) boyfriend or even work as a door man at a s****y hotel

Last edited by sipowicz: 01-12-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old
01-13-2013, 09:46 AM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
I think gramps Jamison lost his part playing the straw man role when the NHLPA ratified the new CBA. Hope Bettman and Daly liked what they saw out of him and hire him for a bit part with NHL in house productions, if he's living in New York he may also find some off Broadway work, there's always a part playing the old silver haired business exec., grandfather, older (much) boyfriend or even work as a door man at a s****y hotel
My impression of GJ has always been the old guy appearing on America's Most Wanted who goes around the country fleecing women of their life's savings. I don't know why but that is the impression I get from him.

His acting job will most likely lead to a permanent placement at NHL HQ.

I guess it really is weeks insted of months, finally.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:06 AM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
I think gramps Jamison lost his part playing the straw man role when the NHLPA ratified the new CBA
Quote:
His acting job will most likely lead to a permanent placement at NHL HQ.
Against my better judgment, I'll ask these questions:

1) Who, specifically, benefits from this "acting job"?
2) What, specifically, does the entity(s) in Answer 1 gain because of the "acting job"?

*Note: Specifically means "be specific". IE- "They gain time" is not specific. Who/What exactly is gained by Jamison staging a fake purchase of the Coyotes?

Old
01-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
Against my better judgment, I'll ask these questions:

1) Who, specifically, benefits from this "acting job"?
2) What, specifically, does the entity(s) in Answer 1 gain because of the "acting job"?

*Note: Specifically means "be specific". IE- "They gain time" is not specific. Who/What exactly is gained by Jamison staging a fake purchase of the Coyotes?
I agree with your perspective here, CF.

My take is that Jamison is a guy who aspires to run his own "sports and entertainment" business, with the crown jewel being an NHL franchise. There aren't very many opportunities to do this, particularly when you don't have nearly enough money of your own. He sees the Coyotes' situation as an opportunity to perhaps cash in on a desperate and reckless city council that has shown a willingness to not only provide their lovely arena and all of its revenue streams (including parking) for free, but to also kick in a large annual subsidy to sweeten the pot. In this regard, Jamison is not the first aspirant. Both the IEH gang and Hulsizer tread this path before him. IEH couldn't raise the money, and Hulsizer either couldn't or found the NHL's selling price still too high (hence the parking bonds gambit).

The problem for Jamison is that he has to convince others that this is a good enough deal, and that he is competent enough, to provide a reasonable return on their investment. This has obviously not been an easy sell to investors. He needs to not only find investors who are confident that they can earn money from the investment, he also needs to find investors who will be willing to fund losses that are almost inevitable in the near term. As with any business, there is a formula that would entice investors to purchase the Coyotes and commit to keeping them in Glendale for the long term. However, as yet the combination of asking price, prospects for revenue, and annual subsidy has been a difficult sell.

Jamison definitely wants this to go through, but that is perhaps easy to understand if he is not the one who has to put up the big money to make it happen.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Tinalera

Haven't followed this much lately-just wondering, has there been discussion here about whether the new CBA helps/hurts/doesn't affect GJ and co's purchase?

Closed Thread