HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bauer totalone nxg questions...

Old
12-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Rcgongshow

vCash: 500
Bauer totalone nxg questions...

Hey guys, I'm a noob on these forums.. Quick question, I just bought a 87 flex nxg.. (For 200$ I may add! ) and I was wondering what the chances are it may break.. The stick is cut down 3 inches and I am 5'7" and 160 pounds. I am not the strongest kid either..

Ps.. I have had a one95 same flex and a 75 flex dolomite DD that hasn't broken.. In a year or so of constant use..

Rcgongshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 05:47 PM
vapor11

What are the chances it will break? good

when? who knows..many factors go into play..you could get slashed the first game and have it break

Me personally I have had decent luck with sticks breaking..I have never had a stick physically break into 2 peices or more but I find they do get whippy but no timeframe..I have a collection building of sticks that cosmetically look okay but have taken abuse(slashes/stuck in boards, etc) which causes them to bend ackwardly(whippy) .. They just don't feel right when controlling/passing/shooting the puck

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 07:11 PM
ponder

Sticks can break at any time, for any player. A single hard slash or a blocked shot can do it if it catches your stick in just the wrong way. With that being said, some people are super hard on their sticks, and go through them like nothing. Others are super easy on their sticks, and rarely if ever break them. It sounds like you're easy on your sticks, so chances are that your NXG will last a long time, barring any bad luck. Personally I sometimes break sticks less than a month after getting them, but sometimes sticks last me a year or more. I haven't heard of any specific durability issues with the NXG, if that's what you're asking.

I am surprised that you use an 87 flex stick at 5'7", 160 lbs though, that's pretty stiff at your size. Are you able to really load it up while shooting? I'm also surprised that you only cut down your senior stick 3", it must be up around your nose on skates?

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 07:14 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcgongshow View Post
Hey guys, I'm a noob on these forums.. Quick question, I just bought a 87 flex nxg.. (For 200$ I may add! ) and I was wondering what the chances are it may break.. The stick is cut down 3 inches and I am 5'7" and 160 pounds. I am not the strongest kid either..

Ps.. I have had a one95 same flex and a 75 flex dolomite DD that hasn't broken.. In a year or so of constant use..
What..how..what is going on...

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Rcgongshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I am surprised that you use an 87 flex stick at 5'7", 160 lbs though, that's pretty stiff at your size. Are you able to really load it up while shooting? I'm also surprised that you only cut down your senior stick 3", it must be up around your nose on skates?
It comes up to about my chin.. (Nxg's come shorter than most sticks by about an inch) I used a 67 flex bauer for a period but I couldn't handle how whippy it was.. When I bought the stick they didn't have any 77 flex in stock so I opted for a 87 flex.. Although it is a little harder to load than my warrior was, my shot seems faster and more solid.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Rcgongshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
What..how..what is going on...
Well, my sister bought a coat from a sports store and it ripped, long story short.. They didn't have the jacket fixed on time so to make up for the incovienence I ended up with 30% off anything in the store, and after an hour of shooting with many sticks, I left with a NXG!

Old
12-19-2012, 09:45 PM
ponder

Quote:
It comes up to about my chin.. (Nxg's come shorter than most sticks by about an inch) I used a 67 flex bauer for a period but I couldn't handle how whippy it was.. When I bought the stick they didn't have any 77 flex in stock so I opted for a 87 flex.. Although it is a little harder to load than my warrior was, my shot seems faster and more solid.
Fair enough, surprised it doesn't come up higher. I cut almost 3" off my Bauers, I'm 6' tall, and my sticks come up to around my collar bone on skates. As for the flex, some guys do shoot better with stiffer sticks, but an 87 flex is definitely on the stiff side at 5'7". The fact that you leave them reasonably long probably helps, though, as sticks do get noticeably harder to load as you cut them down.

Old
12-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Rcgongshow

Quote:
Fair enough, surprised it doesn't come up higher. I cut almost 3" off my Bauers, I'm 6' tall, and my sticks come up to around my collar bone on skates. As for the flex, some guys do shoot better with stiffer sticks, but an 87 flex is definitely on the stiff side at 5'7". The fact that you leave them reasonably long probably helps, though, as sticks do get noticeably harder to load as you cut them down.
Yeah it is quite stiff, but I like it better than an intermediate.. I don't know why but 67 flex is just whippy as hell and it was impossible for me to get used to..

Old
12-19-2012, 10:41 PM
ponder

Quote:
Yeah it is quite stiff, but I like it better than an intermediate.. I don't know why but 67 flex is just whippy as hell and it was impossible for me to get used to..
67 flex intermediates are indeed pretty whippy. I've also experienced using "wet noodle" type sticks (for me it's certain brands of 75 flex seniors, but other brands are just fine), and they suck to use, feels like you can't move the puck efficiently. I know Bauer (and maybe the odd other brand?) made 75 flex intermediates on some of their past models, but they're tough to get your hands on. Do you prefer a 75/77 flex senior, or an 85/87 flex senior?

It also depends on your technique. Some people look to snap shots off really quickly, getting power more from the wrist flick than really loading the shaft, going for the super quick release over major power. With this style, a really stiff stick (for your height) can work great. Others like to really load up the shaft at the start of the shot, which tends to give you quite a lot more power but a slightly slower release, and for this style you obviously want a stick that's whippy enough for you to load up properly.

Last edited by ponder: 12-19-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old
12-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Mid kick sticks like the Total One can feel more whippy. Especially if you leave them longer like you do.

I'm 5'7 and have used 77 flex mid kick sticks before...not bad. I like them more whippy though and am not really all that strong. Actually I had a 77 and an 87 flex One95 once and there wasn't a HUGE difference between them.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Rcgongshow

Quote:
67 flex intermediates are indeed pretty whippy. I've also experienced using "wet noodle" type sticks (for me it's certain brands of 75 flex seniors, but other brands are just fine), and they suck to use, feels like you can't move the puck efficiently. I know Bauer (and maybe the odd other brand?) made 75 flex intermediates on some of their past models, but they're tough to get your hands on. Do you prefer a 75/77 flex senior, or an 85/87 flex senior?

It also depends on your technique. Some people look to snap shots off really quickly, getting power more from the wrist flick than really loading the shaft, going for the super quick release over major power. With this style, a really stiff stick (for your height) can work great. Others like to really load up the shaft at the start of the shot, which tends to give you quite a lot more power but a slightly slower release, and for this style you obviously want a stick that's whippy enough for you to load up properly.
I did really enjoy my 75 flex warrior, but the blade went soft FAST so I never got really used to it.. I definitely would have gotten a 77 flex nxg, but I really enjoy the 87 now that I'm getting used to it.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Rcgongshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Mid kick sticks like the Total One can feel more whippy. Especially if you leave them longer like you do.

I'm 5'7 and have used 77 flex mid kick sticks before...not bad. I like them more whippy though and am not really all that strong. Actually I had a 77 and an 87 flex One95 once and there wasn't a HUGE difference between them.
Yeah, my 75 flex warrior was fairy whippy, but nothing close to my old bauer 67 flex.