HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who was more deserving of the Conn Smythe?

View Poll Results: Who was more deserving of the Conn Smythe?
Bergeron 20 62.50%
Krejci 12 37.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Dangler87

vCash: 500
Who was more deserving of the Conn Smythe?

IF Thomas didn't win the Conn Smythe, who do you feel was more deserving?

Bergeron or Krejci?

Dangler87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Ratty

Jon Quick won it, and deservedly so.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Horton

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:17 PM
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken

Steve Bernier

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Neely08

It would have been criminal for it to have gone to anyone else but TT. Criminal.

Next in line would be Chara. The Sedin twins still flip a coin to see who gets to check under the bunk beds for Z at nuh-night time.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:56 PM
bigbadbruins7

Bergeron

bigbadbruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Marchand

Of the choices you gave, I say Bergeron.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Tough one. Krejci had the most goals in the entire playoffs but Patrice scored the Cup winning goal. I'd do co winners but if I have to choose I'd actually pick Dennis Seidenburg.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Rancid McGoiter
Lieks Boxxy

Send a message via AIM to Rancid McGoiter
Bergeron, of course. If you want to over-think things you might say Horton. We never make it to the finals, or game seven of the finals if he doesn't score key goals and take that filthy hit.

Rancid McGoiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Remembering that the Conn is specifically about the finals series, and not about the playoffs, if it wasn't awarded to Thomas than TT was robbed pure and simple. No one else comes close.

There is no way you can have Thomas do what Thomas did in that series and not award him the Smythe. Yes, the Bergeron line were huge in that series, but that was a line, working together. Conn Smythe is an individual award.

If you give that award to a Bruins skater, it's Chara, and then after Chara I think Dennis Seidenberg has to get strong consideration before you look at a forward (which would have to be Bergeron). I'm obviously not taking anything from the forwards here, but Boston's defense and goaltending were absolutely tremendous in that Finals series and were absolutely the reason we won that series.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Trap Jesus

I would have no problem with it going to Bergeron, Chara or Seidenberg. There are so many guys that made invaluable contributions along the way (Marchand, Horton, Krejci, Kelly, etc., etc.) but i felt those three were the most consistent throughout the entire Playoffs.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:35 AM
Braunbaer
Braunbär

vCash: 200
Of those 2, certainly Bergy.

I'd go with Chara ...

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:39 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Krejci, Chara or Marchand were all more deserving than Bergeron.

Fire Julien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:56 AM
BeardBros
Everything hurt more

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Remembering that the Conn is specifically about the finals series, and not about the playoffs, if it wasn't awarded to Thomas than TT was robbed pure and simple. No one else comes close.

There is no way you can have Thomas do what Thomas did in that series and not award him the Smythe. Yes, the Bergeron line were huge in that series, but that was a line, working together. Conn Smythe is an individual award.

If you give that award to a Bruins skater, it's Chara, and then after Chara I think Dennis Seidenberg has to get strong consideration before you look at a forward (which would have to be Bergeron). I'm obviously not taking anything from the forwards here, but Boston's defense and goaltending were absolutely tremendous in that Finals series and were absolutely the reason we won that series.
You must be misremembering, as it is about the playoffs, not just the finals.
http://www.nhl.com/trophies/smythe.html

Quote:
The Conn Smythe Trophy is an annual award given to the most valuable player for his team in the playoffs. The winner is selected by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association at the conclusion of the final game in the Stanley Cup finals.

BeardBros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:58 AM
MoeLemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post

FYI Unlike the playoff MVP awards presented in the other major professional sports leagues of the United States and Canada (the Super Bowl MVP, the NBA Finals MVP, and the World Series MVP), the Conn Smythe is based on the entire NHL postseason instead of just the championship game or series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conn_Smythe_Trophy

MoeLemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:29 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
People seem to forget that Bergeron only had 3 assists in the first six games of the Cup . DK had 2-4-6 up until that point and there is no game 7 without him.

How do people pick Bergeron when Krejci had 12 goals, to Bergeron's 6? The only series Bergeron was better was the Montreal one...and of course game 7 ....which should carry some weight, but DK would have and should have won the Smythe between the two of them.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:32 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Krejci, Chara or Marchand were all more deserving than Bergeron.
Agreed on all three.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:34 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

If I had to rank it, I'd say obviously Thomas by a mile, then Chara and Seidenberg, then Horton, then a second tier of guys like DK, Marchand and PB.

LSCII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:43 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Agreed on all three.
Yes this. The fact this poll is close is embarrassing and it should be locked.

Shame on fans voting against DK who have an agenda against him. He was the best skater in the playoffs the year we won the cup and people vote against him? He's clearly the Conn Smythe if Timmy doesn't get it. This has pissed me off seeing this close what ungrateful fans we have.

I love Bergeron but I doubt he scores the goals in Game 2 against Tampa Seguin did if in the lineup.

Regardless Marchand was the star of that line overall just because of the timing of his goals. Recchi had a couple good games and the rest looked his age. Bergeron was Bergeron solid 2 way play. The argument could/should be made that the other 2 lines were better than theirs overall that playoffs (Marchand epic goal game 3 Van was a shorty.) They were amazing game 7 in Vancouver though.

Krejci was the best center in the playoffs and played like a first liner in winning the team the cup its despicable any Bruins fan would say he isn't the Conn Smythe runner up and not give him that.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:52 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post

Shame on fans voting against DK who have an agenda against him. He was the best skater in the playoffs the year we won the cup and people vote against him? He's clearly the Conn Smythe if Timmy doesn't get it. This has pissed me off seeing this close what ungrateful fans we have.

I love Bergeron but I doubt he scores the goals in Game 2 against Tampa Seguin did if in the lineup.

Regardless Marchand was the star of that line overall just because of the timing of his goals. Recchi had a couple good games and the rest looked his age. Bergeron was Bergeron solid 2 way play. The argument could/should be made that the other 2 lines were better than theirs overall that playoffs (Marchand epic goal game 3 Van was a shorty.) They were amazing game 7 in Vancouver though.

Krejci was the best center in the playoffs and played like a first liner in winning the team the cup its despicable any Bruins fan would say he isn't the Conn Smythe runner up and not give him that.
Just a touch of hyperbole, don't you think? On a cup winning team, there are going to be lots of guys who come up big. It's how you win the cup. At the end of the day, DK played great. Thomas played insane. Chara and Seidenberg shut down the other team's top scoring lines consistently. Horton scored key goal after key goal to keep this team alive. Marchand played a key roll. PB was killer in the finals. Ryder came up big vs MTL, and so on and so on. None of that lessens any contributions by DK during that run, so I'm not sure why you'd get your panties in a bunch over how some other fans would rank things on their own personal scale.

LSCII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Paddington

vCash: 50
I think Chara should be the MVP of everything all the time. Ok, that's a little extreme and Thomas was undoubtedly the Conn Smythe winner but Chara's mere presence alters the way both teams play at both ends of the rink. For example, guys can block shots and score goals but Chara can kill a rush because he covers so much space that, by the time a forward gets around him, they're in the corner. That's the kind of stuff that doesn't show up on stat sheets but contributes to wins.

Paddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:16 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post

I happen to agree with this... I think people are allowed to have an opinion, but I do think some tend to downplay DK and pump up Bergeron.

I doubt you win the Cup without either however. And Bergeron coming up the way he did game 7 was stuff of legend.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Neely08

This whole discussion only re-emphasizes why Thomas was so deserving over any other player.

This is a team that scores by committee via depth. The closest we have to a go to guy in terms of clutch goals was Horton. When DK was shut down, Bergeron came through. When neither could, the 3rd line stepped up. The PP? Uh...yeah.

Chara and Sieds had to routinely shut down the likes of; Claude Girioux, Briere who turned Tuukka into a Christmas tree the year before, MSL, Lecavalier, Stamkos, Kesler, Sedins. They were all non-factors. That was huge. Don't forget Bergeron's contributions defensively. He routinely drove puck carriers right into Chara. Hounds to the hunters. Not to mention outworking opponents in all 3 zones.

There's no other guy you can single out nearly as much as TT. If you had to, it's Chara in my book. Thank god he got over the sprints. That and cocacola.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I happen to agree with this... I think people are allowed to have an opinion, but I do think some tend to downplay DK and pump up Bergeron.

I doubt you win the Cup without either however. And Bergeron coming up the way he did game 7 was stuff of legend.
That's the best way to put it. Everyone stepped up when they had to. Think a/b it. We lost Horton in game 2 of the finals.

And, STILL shoved it up their lower intestine w/ a candle on it.

Old
01-03-2013, 09:07 AM
nords1995

DK had .88 and PB .87 (while game 4 got injured - Flyers) game in 2011 playoffs.
DK is + 8 in 2011 playoffs - Bergy +15
-------------------------------------
Against Mtl - DK was absent, while PB get the edge. But third line was a big part of success.
-
Against Flyers: That is where DK took over. 8 pts in 4 games +6. Bergy had 5 pts in 3.5 games - + 2.
-
Against Tampa : PB had 3 pts in 5 games coming back from Concussion and + 2 while DK 6 pts and +3.
-
Against Vancouver : PB had 5 pts and a +6 while DK had 6 pts and a +3. We have to remember, 2 of the 6 first games Bruins were shut down.

Finally without faceoffs stats :
on that base:
22 pts in 25 games + 8 for DK
20 pts in 22.5 games + 15 for PB

If necessary for this post: I will give an edge to Bergy but it is irrelevant. Other than TT - the rest of Playoff 2011 run is a team work with huge contribution at different moments of ALL the roster. Big leadership came out of that playoffs run. And That Playoff run was one of the best, tinted of blue collars Bruins hockey: dedication, teamship, resiliance, and TT way of goaltending!

nords1995 is offline   Reply With Quote