HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

2012 CBA/Lockout talk Part VII..Will a deal get done..

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

vCash: 500
The latest from the AP (sorry no link, this is hot off the wire):

Quote:
The league and the players’ association spent much of Saturday talking to each other via conference call. The conversations were strictly for the purpose of sharing information regarding the new contract offer the NHL made to the union late Thursday. The initial thought was that the sides would get together Sunday in New York to hold official negotiations for the first time in weeks, but those hadn’t been scheduled as of late Saturday afternoon.

“Some more informational sessions in the morning,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Associated Press regarding Sunday. “Nothing planned beyond that.”

Old
12-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
So, how 'bout this lockout. I hear its a big deal.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
12-29-2012, 07:25 PM
DaveFromNB

Well, another Saturday night with no NHL. It seems just like yesterday that a few friends and I got together every Saturday night with our big bag of chips, big bag of pop, to watch Orr/Espo/Chief against Ellis/Sittler or Belliveau/Cournoyer/Mahovlich(s) on HNIC. It`s been a big part of my life ever since. Sure hope they get their heads out of their you know whats soon...

Old
12-29-2012, 08:11 PM
HooperDrivesTheBoat
2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Exactly...

As much as I was enjoying the banter, this is the lockout thread. If you're interested in discussing the usage of questionable/acceptable terminology, use the OT thread...

Old
12-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Bad Hat Harry

I'm going to make a hugely bold prediction and say that by this time tomorrow we will have a new deal in place or at least agreed upon

Old
12-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Hat Harry View Post
I'm going to make a hugely bold prediction and say that by this time tomorrow we will have a new deal in place or at least agreed upon
If they did come to some agreement it would be best to wait until Tuesday to release news on it

Tommorrow will be all NFL coverage/talk on TV , Monday will be all Black Monday/Playoff NFL talk

NHL would barely get any mention if at all going up against NFL talk

Old
12-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Bad Hat Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
If they did come to some agreement it would be best to wait until Tuesday to release news on it

Tommorrow will be all NFL coverage/talk on TV , Monday will be all Black Monday/Playoff NFL talk

NHL would barely get any mention if at all going up against NFL talk
I don't care if they announce it during the Super Bowl...as soon as they have a deal they need to announce it and end this madness

Old
12-30-2012, 06:52 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:

I hear they finallly have a drop dead date

I looked over the nuts and bolts on this CBA and considering what I thought the NHL players were going to end up and where they are right now- they ought to have the biggest party for Don Fehr ever thrown.

so rumor is its Jan 11th per Hockey Notes and games start the 18th IF the agreement is reached- and why wouldn't it be (show me where it really sucks other than the Cap drop and that my view is the last point, massaging that)

three weeks from today we should be discussing last nights game- really

Old
12-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Mountain

I haven't read up on this new deal, because i read up on that offer a few weeks ago that Fehr ruined and didn't want a broke heart.

You guys think this will go through? And did the owners make major concessions?

Old
12-30-2012, 08:55 AM
ronwm

Quote:
Thanks for the brevity....I usually read through this thread gritting my teeth over the whole situation. It was nice to see that right off the bat....

Old
12-30-2012, 09:37 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I hear they finallly have a drop dead date

I looked over the nuts and bolts on this CBA and considering what I thought the NHL players were going to end up and where they are right now- they ought to have the biggest party for Don Fehr ever thrown.

so rumor is its Jan 11th per Hockey Notes and games start the 18th IF the agreement is reached- and why wouldn't it be (show me where it really sucks other than the Cap drop and that my view is the last point, massaging that)

three weeks from today we should be discussing last nights game- really
and how Claude needs to be fired for ruining Dougie

Old
12-30-2012, 09:46 AM
the negotiator

I'm not a big Larry Brooks fan but his article today on the proposed $60mm cap for the 13-14 season is a reminder that this negotiating gauntlet still has a few twists to run before we have closure and a season.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Let's keep things on topic.

If you want to talk about hairy legs, may I suggest a google search?

Thanks. Back to lockout talk now.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
Let's keep things on topic.

If you want to talk about hairy legs, may I suggest a google search?

Thanks. Back to lockout talk now.
I wouldn't suggest that one at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the negotiator View Post
I'm not a big Larry Brooks fan but his article today on the proposed $60mm cap for the 13-14 season is a reminder that this negotiating gauntlet still has a few twists to run before we have closure and a season.
At least his "No honor league" moniker is slightly more witty then his previous "No hope league". Owners gave on amnesty, so the players should be able to give on transition (1 year instead of their preferred 2). It has to be give and take.

60 million is just a projection of a 50/50 split of revenues. The point of contention is whether it goes to that split in year 2 or year 3... either way it's going there if the revenues dictate it. It will put only a few teams in a spot, who if they've done any strategizing for the future should be able to address the issues easily and walk away relatively unscathed... maybe even up depending on their scouting staff.

Boston is one such example, being committed to 57 million already next year. The owners however gave on amnesty, so right off the hop that helps alleviate the issue. Boston can clear Savards 4 million off the cap next season and they' have 7 million in cap space alone with 10 forwards, 5 defensemen already signed. That's 7 mill to deal with Rask and Horton and a couple of minimum contract players for the 3rd pairing and 4th line roles.

Sure they may need to move a guy like Boychuk, Ference, or Krejci but they get assets back for those guys. There will be some hard decisions but nothing earth shattering. Rangers could have some hard decisions as well with kids like Stepan and McDonaugh up for renewal and Richards, Nash, Gaborik all having full NTC or NMC's. Probably at least partly explains Brooks interest, although I'm not sure why. Seems like it would create a perfect storm for his and Torts post game pressers.

Dom posted some numbers in terms of contracts coming up for the 12-13 season in the last thread I believe, and the number is significant. It's no wonder owners would like to transition this thing well before that happens especially with the chance or arbitration biting them in the ass under an artificially inflated cap.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:37 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
I wouldn't suggest that one at all.

At least his "No honor league" moniker is slightly more witty then his previous "No hope league". Owners gave on amnesty, so the players should be able to give on transition (1 year instead of their preferred 2). It has to be give and take.

60 million is just a projection of a 50/50 split of revenues. The point of contention is whether it goes to that split in year 2 or year 3... either way it's going there if the revenues dictate it. It will put only a few teams in a spot, who if they've done any strategizing for the future should be able to address the issues easily and walk away relatively unscathed... maybe even up depending on their scouting staff.

Boston is one such example, being committed to 57 million already next year. The owners however gave on amnesty, so right off the hop that helps alleviate the issue. Boston can clear Savards 4 million off the cap next season and they' have 7 million in cap space alone with 10 forwards, 5 defensemen already signed. That's 7 mill to deal with Rask and Horton and a couple of minimum contract players for the 3rd pairing and 4th line roles.

Sure they may need to move a guy like Boychuk, Ference, or Krejci but they get assets back for those guys. There will be some hard decisions but nothing earth shattering. Rangers could have some hard decisions as well with kids like Stepan and McDonaugh up for renewal and Richards, Nash, Gaborik all having full NTC or NMC's. Probably at least partly explains Brooks interest, although I'm not sure why. Seems like it would create a perfect storm for his and Torts post game pressers.

Dom posted some numbers in terms of contracts coming up for the 12-13 season in the last thread I believe, and the number is significant. It's no wonder owners would like to transition this thing well before that happens especially with the chance or arbitration biting them in the ass under an artificially inflated cap.
103 UFA
148 RFA

And don't forget, they'll be able to trade for cap space.

I'm seeing in a lot of places that buying out Savard is an option. Under old CBA (and expected to be in the new one) you can't buy out a player who is on LTIR. Also under old CBA and expected to be in the new one, Savard will go on LTIR

Old
12-30-2012, 10:58 AM
flannelman
default user

vCash: 920
Quote:
Rangers could have some hard decisions as well with kids like Stepan and McDonaugh up for renewal and Richards, Nash, Gaborik all having full NTC or NMC's. Probably at least partly explains Brooks interest, although I'm not sure why. Seems like it would create a perfect storm for his and Torts post game pressers.
hahaha - oh, that's freakin' hilarious. i remember watching some of those between those two - freakin' gold.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:08 AM
the negotiator

And the team likely in the deepest cap hell is Vancouver...even after they deal Luongo. Looks like their no cups in franchise history streak will continue for a while....couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of players and fans

Old
12-30-2012, 11:25 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
and how Claude needs to be fired for ruining Dougie
Julian can always blame the Team Canada coach to start the season...lol.

If the owners are serious with the make good its time to start playing.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Appears Chiarelli was right when he said the cap would come down.

Old
12-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

From Elliotte Friedman:

Quote:
The word of the week is "patience."

We've all got lockout fatigue. Fans, sponsors, players, coaches, executives and media. As one GM said Saturday: "I hope this ends, because we're all tired of it." But this isn't going to be easy.

It would be criminal not to have a season based on where things stand. But, it doesn't mean Donald Fehr is going to deviate from his plan. He's controlled the tempo of these negotiations for some time now, and he's convinced the players that waiting is the best strategy.

They're tired, but they're listening.

That's why it will be very important for Gary Bettman and Bill Daly to control their frustration. Fehr is an infuriating opponent. He stalls, he delays, he takes longer water breaks than a camel at a Saharan oasis. He's already slowed down this process, asking for more clarifications on the NHL's latest offer, meaning actual negotiations will start later than the league wanted.

At least Bob Goodenow yelled back at you.

But, the NHL's lead negotiators can't get caught up in that now. The endgame is littered with landmines and they will need to keep their cool.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...s-tactics.html

Old
12-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
103 UFA
148 RFA

And don't forget, they'll be able to trade for cap space.

I'm seeing in a lot of places that buying out Savard is an option. Under old CBA (and expected to be in the new one) you can't buy out a player who is on LTIR. Also under old CBA and expected to be in the new one, Savard will go on LTIR
Good point, I was under the impression amnesty buyouts would be a free for all in that regard as it's a one time thing and GM's won't be able to wait for folks to get back from injured reserve. Makes sense thought that guys like Savard would be protected.

If the Bruins can't use it on Savard I'd assume they don't bother with it. Any other guys who might be moved to create space all have value and Thomas wouldn't make any sense as they won't have to pay him. They would if they bought him out. They'll just let it expire.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Appears Chiarelli was right when he said the cap would come down.
I distinctly remember someone on here who got ridiculed many times for stating long before Chiarelli did last season that the cap was going to drop by at least $7 million

Quote:
Good point, I was under the impression amnesty buyouts would be a free for all in that regard as it's a one time thing and GM's won't be able to wait for folks to get back from injured reserve. Makes sense thought that guys like Savard would be protected.

If the Bruins can't use it on Savard I'd assume they don't bother with it. Any other guys who might be moved to create space all have value and Thomas wouldn't make any sense as they won't have to pay him. They would if they bought him out. They'll just let it expire.
Here's one for you

Ruslan Salikhov ‏@rushockey
I should re-frase that - Ilya Bryzgalov: "I quit CSKA because lockout is ending"

Im in Mississauga for a matinee game and was suppose to meet someone here from an NHL team who has been called back to *** immediately.

Seems to be happening around the NHL

Old
12-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Heard 'if its a go', players being informed be ready for Jan 14 date.

Fwiw.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:

Fwiw.

Old
12-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:

Fwiw.
This would make for a Happy New year for us hockey fans.