HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBA/Lockout talk Part VII..Will a deal get done..

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 02:05 PM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
I distinctly remember someone on here who got ridiculed many times for stating long before Chiarelli did last season that the cap was going to drop by at least $7 million

Here's one for you

Ruslan Salikhov ‏@rushockey
I should re-frase that - Ilya Bryzgalov: "I quit CSKA because lockout is ending"

Im in Mississauga for a matinee game and was suppose to meet someone here from an NHL team who has been called back to *** immediately.

Seems to be happening around the NHL
the individual you were supposed to meet I believe is in charge of the players that team drafted and follows them up- I know he does the college because I was with one of his buds at my daughters game last week, and got the entire explanation

anyways, he has a significant position so not suprising he was called back to the states

Old
12-30-2012, 06:12 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

sorry if this thread is not dedicated lockout..

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Chara on his way from St.Pete to Prague. Last trip of this year for HC LEV Prague.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Report: A Jan. 12 start date would net players $100M extra

Quote:
Many believe that the NHL and NHLPA will spin their wheels into mid-January to squeeze every drop out of a deal, but the Winnipeg Free Press’ Gary Lawless rolls out some significant pluses to getting something done sooner.

Specifically, this idea would result in an abbreviated season beginning on Jan. 12.

The bold print if you want to sell the idea to the union: Lawless reports that an extra $100 million could be on the table if the season began on Jan. 12 rather than the 19th.

Lawless confirmed with an anonymous NHL source that a deal would need to be in place by Thursday to hit the Jan. 12 target date.

That scenario wouldn’t just put more money in play. It would enable a 52-game season, which means a little more hockey – and the opportunity for a streaking sniper to shoot for the 50 goals in 50 games milestone.

Again, much of the conjecture indicates that both sides are willing to see this to the bitter end. If true, this scenario could just make the subterfuge that much more frustrating.

Still, it’s nice to be able to spell out the tangible benefits to getting a deal done this week.
Hopefully Don doesn't screw this up

Old
12-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Report: A Jan. 12 start date would net players $100M extra

Hopefully Don doesn't screw this up
"Again, much of the conjecture indicates that both sides are willing to see this to the bitter end."

All righty then. So Feb 16th it is.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comme...squeeze-harder

Quote:

from Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun,

Though the players finished their due diligence with a series of conference calls and face-to-face meetings Sunday morning, Fehr was huddled with his closest advisors working on a counter-proposal that will be tabled Monday.

"I'm sure you're going to see Fehr try to squeeze the league for more," predicted a league executive Sunday. "He still feels he has time to push a few more buttons."

Several players were expected to start arriving in New York late Sunday and early Monday to accompany Fehr to the bargaining session, which is certainly the most pivotal of this 107-day lockout -- the season is hanging by a thread.

"We're going to find out how bad the NHL wants a season," said a union source.

The players were happy to get an offer Thursday, but they weren't completely pleased it was almost 300 pages, accompanied by a drop-dead date of Jan. 11 to get a deal in place and the season starting on Jan. 19.

The league can't afford to have many more days without formal bargaining sessions with such a tight deadline. Bettman and Daly were both at the league's headquarters on Sixth Avenue before heading home late in the day.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:22 AM
RussellmaniaKW

50 in 50 for Seguin would be a hell of a way to bring back hockey.

Old
12-31-2012, 12:53 AM
Grumpy Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comme...squeeze-harder
Though the players finished their due diligence with a series of conference calls and face-to-face meetings Sunday morning, Fehr was huddled with his closest advisors working on a counter-proposal that will be tabled Monday.

"I'm sure you're going to see Fehr try to squeeze the league for more," predicted a league executive Sunday. "He still feels he has time to push a few more buttons."

Several players were expected to start arriving in New York late Sunday and early Monday to accompany Fehr to the bargaining session, which is certainly the most pivotal of this 107-day lockout -- the season is hanging by a thread.

"We're going to find out how bad the NHL wants a season," said a union source.

The players were happy to get an offer Thursday, but they weren't completely pleased it was almost 300 pages, accompanied by a drop-dead date of Jan. 11 to get a deal in place and the season starting on Jan. 19.

The league can't afford to have many more days without formal bargaining sessions with such a tight deadline. Bettman and Daly were both at the league's headquarters on Sixth Avenue before heading home late in the day.

This is the reason why I still have doubts about this season. I don't trust Fehr and wonder if he pushes so much that the league just says forget about it. Meanwhile the players lose over 9 million a day.

Old
12-31-2012, 05:10 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grizz View Post
This is the reason why I still have doubts about this season. I don't trust Fehr and wonder if he pushes so much that the league just says forget about it. Meanwhile the players lose over 9 million a day.
Both sides are losing money.

It's close to the end, players might as well hold onto what they can.

Old
12-31-2012, 07:19 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Both sides are losing money.

It's close to the end, players might as well hold onto what they can.
Why not, it's only the fans who suffer.

Old
12-31-2012, 07:49 AM
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken

Im okay with losing the season at this point cause WJC has me pumped for the draft. Deep year like this I like any chance at getting a higher pick

Old
12-31-2012, 08:04 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

losing the season would be pathetically catastrophic, not saying you should lose sleep over it, but no fan should be ok with it either.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:26 AM
DaveFromNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Why not, it's only the fans who suffer.
We just do other stuff, the people who really suffer are all the ones whose employment is driven by the NHL - local bar owners and staff, rink concession staff, etc.. If there was any justice, the owners and players should have to sit down with those people in a town hall meeting before play resumes.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:31 AM
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
losing the season would be pathetically catastrophic, not saying you should lose sleep over it, but no fan should be ok with it either.
Ill check with you next time

We've all gone this far...most have found other things to keep themselves occupied. A squeezed rushed season doesn't really appeal to me. It was a catastrophe in the NBA as far as injuries go and that is a much less injury prone sport. Teams that did stay healthy did so by coasting the entire season waiting for playoffs like the celts.

If they announced tomorrow they are canceling the season, I'd shrug my shoulders, maybe throw a cuss word out, and go about my day. I don't think that makes me less of a fan. Enjoying the sport is a hobby, a passion no doubt, but losing it for 5 extra months of my life while a temporary pain in the ass, doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

As far as damage to the league goes...its January and theres still no hockey, if you ask me...the stink and scar are already there, at least with the casual fan.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:35 AM
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFromNB View Post
We just do other stuff, the people who really suffer are all the ones whose employment is driven by the NHL - local bar owners and staff, rink concession staff, etc.. If there was any justice, the owners and players should have to sit down with those people in a town hall meeting before play resumes.
This. These are the real people affected by this. Not Brandon Prust cause he has to sit on the beach and work on his short game. But these people who's income depends on the league.

Fans, its a pain in the ass that our hobby and entertainment is gone. These guys, its life altering cause their paycheck is gone.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
This. These are the real people affected by this. Not Brandon Prust cause he has to sit on the beach and work on his short game. But these people who's income depends on the league.

Fans, its a pain in the ass that our hobby and entertainment is gone. These guys, its life altering cause their paycheck is gone.
To be honest, I'm kind of sick of seeing this argument. That's 100% true, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating for fans. Certainly puts the frustration in perspective, but it doesn't solve it or make it less frustrating.

I feel awful for folks who are having a hard time paying the bills because of the lockout, and agree that they are the real "losers" in this...is that supposed to make fans feel better? Because it doesn't.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:47 AM
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
To be honest, I'm kind of sick of seeing this argument. That's 100% true, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating for fans. Certainly puts the frustration in perspective, but it doesn't solve it or make it less frustrating.

I feel awful for folks who are having a hard time paying the bills because of the lockout, and agree that they are the real "losers" in this...is that supposed to make fans feel better? Because it doesn't.
No definitely not. It actually makes me feel worse about the lockout because it does put it in perspective that there are real people affected by this beyond just not being able to watch their favorite team that dont get represented in this two sided pissing match on how to share millions and millions of dollars.

Old
12-31-2012, 08:57 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Don't think you're less of a fan actually, just think fans shouldn't be ok with it either. Although, something tells me that while you say you'll be ok with it - you really won't be, and if it comes back, you'll be happier than Charlie sheen in a brothel

The thing that still upsets me the most is all the average joes and shielas that rely on the sport to make a decent living, those people are getting the biggest shaft of all

Old
12-31-2012, 09:02 AM
Hnidy Hnight

Quote:
Don't think you're less of a fan actually, just think fans shouldn't be ok with it either. Although, something tells me that while you say you'll be ok with it - you really won't be, and if it comes back, you'll be happier than Charlie sheen in a brothel

The thing that still upsets me the most is all the average joes and shielas that rely on the sport to make a decent living, those people are getting the biggest shaft of all
I can't imagine what places like Halftime Pizza and Sullivans Tap are paying for rent, but Id guess they lose 5 figures worth of sales for every game missed.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Boston BROin
Marchand makes u mad

Send a message via AIM to Boston BROin Send a message via Yahoo to Boston BROin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post

I used to work for a pro team in college. Most people who work for pro teams as day of game staff have full time jobs or are going to school. What's good about the Garden staff is that they have a ton of other events to work. Now they are losing money, but the loss of the Bruins shouldn't sink them. What really sucks is the loss of profits for local businesses. If I remember correctly, the Bruins are the main revenue drivers for places like Sully's and Halftime. Our city has lost so much of its culture by local businesses being driven out. Even if Sully's isn't your type of place, you have to appreciate its history and its reputation as a hockey bar. We've already lost the Penalty Box.

Also, just because some people have been hit harder by the lockout doesn't mean regular fans can't be pissed or upset. It affects everyone.

Old
12-31-2012, 09:18 AM
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken

Quote:
I certainly would be very pumped if it came back...however, in my personal situation it doesn't affect me as much cause Ill be out of new england from Jan to July anyways. Obviously that's an outlier in this situation but I was looking forward to some Blues games. The free center ice would be nice though!

But also as I said...I just don't like the idea of such a compressed season. Didn't like it in the Nba..where teams were playing 4 games in 5 nights, 3 games in a row, etc. And I think it would be even worse in the NHL that is so physically demanding to begin with anyways.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post

ultimately the ONLY reason these players get paid is cause us fans care. Any of us can go play hockey. you and i can go play hockey. playing hockey DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING unless the FANS CARE

they dont feed the hungry... they dont solve world peace.

so, sure... by the grace of god... us fans cared enough in the past that these players were able to get some paychecks... and sure, now their actions are causing themselves crap that they are bringing onto their own heads...

but ultimately it is us fans that ultimately matter. if we ever did stop caring then goodbye paychecks period

Old
12-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Shaun
beauty

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
CBA mtng expected to begin between 1pm - 1:30pm. Players will present counter to NHL.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:51 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
CBA mtng expected to begin between 1pm - 1:30pm. Players will present counter to NHL.
It will be interesting to see what they deem needs changed.

They wanted the league to move in their direction on transition... the league moved in their direction on transition with an agreement to 1 amnesty buyout per team.

They wanted the league to move in their direction on contract length, the league moved in their direction with a 6 year minimum contract for UFAs, 7 for your own players.

They wanted the league to move to their direction with the fundamental finances, the league upped make whole to 300 mill on the condition 50 mill goes to the pension... players should love that as they are apparently just as motivated to protect future and past player rights.

They wanted the league to move on variance... they moved from 5% to 10%.

The league already completely conceded on arbitration, UFA age... What real issues is left? CBA length I guess? Go 9 years with a mutual opt out option at 7. Ta da. Finito.

There is obviously a lot more to a complete CBA, but if the PA comes back and tries to re-adjust those concessions they asked the league to move on (and they did), then not sure how anyone can come to the players defense.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:57 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
There is obviously a lot more to a complete CBA, but if the PA comes back and tries to re-adjust those concessions they asked the league to move on (and they did), then not sure how anyone can come to the players defense.
Ha-ha! Watch and see!

When it comes down the the little man v. the man folks almost always side with the little man, even if the little man here is in many cases a multi-millionaire.

What was the line out of "Pirates of the Caribbean": "Take what you can. Give nothing back."

Old
12-31-2012, 11:10 AM
bp13

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what they deem needs changed.

They wanted the league to move in their direction on transition... the league moved in their direction on transition with an agreement to 1 amnesty buyout per team.

They wanted the league to move in their direction on contract length, the league moved in their direction with a 6 year minimum contract for UFAs, 7 for your own players.

They wanted the league to move to their direction with the fundamental finances, the league upped make whole to 300 mill on the condition 50 mill goes to the pension... players should love that as they are apparently just as motivated to protect future and past player rights.

They wanted the league to move on variance... they moved from 5% to 10%.

The league already completely conceded on arbitration, UFA age... What real issues is left? CBA length I guess? Go 9 years with a mutual opt out option at 7. Ta da. Finito.

Kind of a one-sided view, no?

Kaoz you seem to suggest that any move is good enough. Isn't it realistic, if not probable, that those moves aren't meaningful enough? So if the players view these "moves" as way to little, there's no defense for that?

Closed Thread