HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBA/Lockout talk Part VII..Will a deal get done..

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 07:06 AM
EverettMike

vCash: 500
Expansion?

Really?

............really?

I hate Gary Bettman's round ****ing head.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Expansion?

Really?

............really?

Another brilliant business ideal. Lets make the long season even more meaningless

Old
01-02-2013, 07:19 AM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
Expansion?

Really?

............really?

Mexico City wants hockey mike.. Bettman needs to globalize the game.. thought you knew.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNgold 84 View Post
Mexico City wants hockey mike.. Bettman needs to globalize the game.. thought you knew.
Maybe they can move one of the Florida teams to Cuba. We can get an early jump on the 'new' fans this league is always worried about.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:33 AM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post
Guys it has to be a play in 7 vs 10, 8 vs 9 Or atleast I would hope, And I hate the thought of them tampering with the play-offs its perfect as is.
I agree that I would prefer it as is, but I can see why the play in for 7 through 10 could be a good thing. You'll get an extra home game for two bubble teams, and the games would likely get some huge hype. They'll play up the whole "win and you're in" angle and beat us black and blue with it. It could be entertaining for an outsider. I know I'd watch.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:37 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Expansion?

Really?

............really?

Afraid so Mike.

Realignment is on the table which requires two more teams to balance it out. Only guessing, but the union has been pushing to move Phoenix to Quebec so that leaves the two likeliest locales as Toronto and Seattle. And the NHLPA is all for expansion to the right locations (and why not - extra revenue). Just not sure how much input the union is going to have on the locations however.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:41 AM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Maybe they can move one of the Florida teams to Cuba. We can get an early jump on the 'new' fans this league is always worried about.
I heard they built a rink in kenya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Afraid so Mike.

Realignment is on the table which requires two more teams to balance it out. Only guessing, but the union has been pushing to move Phoenix to Quebec so that leaves the two likeliest locales as Toronto and Seattle. And the NHLPA is all for expansion to the right locations (and why not - extra revenue). Just not sure how much input the union is going to have on the locations however.
Which still (thankfully enough) leaves the door open for the Albuquerque, and Anchorage or portland oregon!!!

Old
01-02-2013, 07:45 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Haha, they can`t even keep their house in order in NA, imagine the mess they`d create with Global expansion

Old
01-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Dom - OHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Haha, they can`t even keep their house in order in NA, imagine the mess they`d create with Global expansion
I wouldn't shake your head on that just yet Andrew.

NHL and NHLPA have already agreed to form a joint committee to look at European expansion.

Instead of the use the throw up button

Old
01-02-2013, 07:54 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
I wouldn't shake your head on that just yet Andrew.

NHL and NHLPA have already agreed to form a joint committee to look at European expansion.

Instead of the use the throw up button
Haha, is there a throw up button, if so, it`ll be the most used emotion I`ll apply

Not sure why I am not a fan of European expansion (although I too believe it`ll happen sooner than later), might be my way too old school way of thinking. Still think this league would be better served with a 20 team league, no overtime or shootouts etc....hope ya had a nice Christmas Dom

Old
01-02-2013, 07:57 AM
flannelman
trite pretentiousnes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Agree. But there is also talk that 7 teams make the playoffs and the next 4 have a play in for the 8th spot. At least both sides have discussed it.

IMO, if there are 2 more teams from each conference added to the playoffs, It's a pre-cursor to expansion next season. Hello Toronto and Seattle. Quebec City will be the new home of the Coyotes by then.
agree, OOG. I'd just rather see relocation than expansion - while I know that's not the prerogative of Bettman, I don't think this league is ready for expansion; too much talent delusion. I think Toronto/Hamilton could support another team and it wouldn't hurt Buffalo or the Leafs much. It'd be good to see a team back in Quebec City.

For your first point - just to clarify - 7 teams back the PO's and then the 8th/9th spots have a mini-series (so to speak) to determine the 8th spot?

Old
01-02-2013, 07:57 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Agree. But there is also talk that 7 teams make the playoffs and the next 4 have a play in for the 8th spot. At least both sides have discussed it.

IMO, if there are 2 more teams from each conference added to the playoffs, It's a pre-cursor to expansion next season. Hello Toronto and Seattle. Quebec City will be the new home of the Coyotes by then.
I'd be more then OK with that setup.

Do you think they'd put two more teams in Canada though Dom? If they move the Yotes out of the desert and expand by 2, I think you see a team in Las Vegas in order to maintain that presence in the sunbelt and keep NBC happy. There was all that talk about NHL being in discussion with Bruckenheimer (sp?) about a team there, and they are apparently close on an NHL/NBA viable arena right on the strip. They have a 16k capacity arena that could work in the meantime, and seemed have had no issues selling it out for the preseason games.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:59 AM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
Haha, is there a throw up button, if so, it`ll be the most used emotion I`ll apply

Not sure why I am not a fan of European expansion (although I too believe it`ll happen sooner than later), might be my way too old school way of thinking. Still think this league would be better served with a 20 team league, no overtime or shootouts etc....hope ya had a nice Christmas Dom

If there is no throw up button heres something that will help.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:02 AM
ODAAT

You fans know as well as I do that Bettman and his staff will decide on economic and hockey hotbeds like Greece to place a team, solid financial backing, solid fan bases etc...

Old
01-02-2013, 08:03 AM
ODAAT

Quote:

If there is no throw up button heres something that will help.
Works for me

Old
01-02-2013, 08:05 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
I heard they built a rink in kenya.

Which still (thankfully enough) leaves the door open for the Albuquerque, and Anchorage or portland oregon!!!
Not sure why you lumped Portland in with those other two locations? I could be wrong. but was under the impression that was a decent hockey area? Only basketball and college sports to compete with.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:09 AM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Not sure why you lumped Portland in with those other two locations? I could be wrong. but was under the impression that was a decent hockey area? Only basketball and college sports to compete with.
I think its too small of market.. I think seattle would just do better overall. But i heard its gods country out there though.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:09 AM
Dom - OHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
agree, OOG. I'd just rather see relocation than expansion - while I know that's not the prerogative of Bettman, I don't think this league is ready for expansion; too much talent delusion. I think Toronto/Hamilton could support another team and it wouldn't hurt Buffalo or the Leafs much. It'd be good to see a team back in Quebec City.

For your first point - just to clarify - 7 teams back the PO's and then the 8th/9th spots have a mini-series (so to speak) to determine the 8th spot?
Correct. From what I heard, there have been actual discussions on that.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:11 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
That sounds fun

Old
01-02-2013, 08:13 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
I think its too small of market.. I think seattle would just do better overall. But i heard its gods country out there though.
Ottawa only has about 300,000 more residents there, Winnipeg, if not mistaken about 650,000, there are cases where small market teams make it if that market has a strong hockey following. The arguement can be made that there`s a few bigger market teams who struggle too.

I`m not too familiar with the hockey landscape in the US but..

Old
01-02-2013, 08:14 AM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
That sounds fun
It would be but would it be a 3 game series or 1 game playoff? like the present situation in baseball? That could get the "casual" fan involved, maybe.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:14 AM
flannelman
trite pretentiousnes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quote:
That sounds fun
thanks OOG - certainly will be interesting. I mean, think of the 9th seed, beating the 8th seed and making it to the cup finals - that's pretty gnarly.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:16 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
thanks OOG - certainly will be interesting. I mean, think of the 9th seed, beating the 8th seed and making it to the cup finals - that's pretty gnarly.
Gives the Leafs hope

We`ll then hear Burke fill the headlines with a puffed out chest exclaiming that he told the fans he would lead his team to the postseason.......

....forgetting and denying any and all comments made previously about him not wanting to just make those playoffs and get their arses kicked

Old
01-02-2013, 08:22 AM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
Ottawa only has about 300,000 more residents there, Winnipeg, if not mistaken about 650,000, there are cases where small market teams make it if that market has a strong hockey following. The arguement can be made that there`s a few bigger market teams who struggle too.

I`m not too familiar with the hockey landscape in the US but..
I think more people see Seattle as a major city than portland oregon. I'll admit i just threw in a small city that although has done good for the trailblazers don't think it would be a good hockey market. Glorydaze did bring up a good point. Besides the trailblazers and college sports there wouldn't be too much opposition.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Dom - OHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
I'd be more then OK with that setup.

Do you think they'd put two more teams in Canada though Dom? If they move the Yotes out of the desert and expand by 2, I think you see a team in Las Vegas in order to maintain that presence in the sunbelt and keep NBC happy. There was all that talk about NHL being in discussion with Bruckenheimer (sp?) about a team there, and they are apparently close on an NHL/NBA viable arena right on the strip. They have a 16k capacity arena that could work in the meantime, and seemed have had no issues selling it out for the preseason games.
Easily. I remember first breaking the news three years ago about a new arena in Toronto and when it finally became public they said there was no interest in a 2nd team. However, think about this: The Leafs have 18,000 people on a wait list for season tickets. Over and above the price of the tickets is a $20,000 licensing fee that you pay once.

Now, I'm not going to even try and guess at how many would jump ship. But I know a lot of people in Southwestern Ontario that make the trip to Buffalo for NHL hockey simple because they cant get tickets for the Leafs.

And to me Quebec is much like Toronto, no brainers. Not to mention the deal with CBC expires after next season (I believe) and there is sure to be a huge bidding war between CBC and TSN (with CTV involved as both are owned by Bell). Not to mention the local deals with Toronto between Sportsnet and TSN. This is why Bell (TSN) and Rogers (Sportsnet) bought the Leafs. There's going to be big money thrown around and with more Canadian teams - even better.

As for Vegas, I don't know enough about the situation there to make an informed comment. Seattle makes a lot of sense because there's could be an instant rivalry with Vancouver. And Like Ontario fans do to Buffalo, British Columbia fans who can't get Canuck tickets will do the same for Seattle.

Closed Thread