HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBA/Lockout talk Part VII..Will a deal get done..

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 10:55 PM
GordonHowe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Not disclaiming.
Claim not; I declaim. Disclaim, disclaim!

Old
01-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
A sign the sides are close to an agreement?
Absolutely.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Pie O My

what the hell is going on? why is it so damn quiet? is twitter broken?

Old
01-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Shaun
beauty

Old
01-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Pie O My

this feels like watching a Lavvy led Flyers team breaking down the 1-3-1.

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl
NHL and NHLPA are still going as far as all the media here knows. What this means for the potential PA disclaimer of interest is unknown.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Ludwig Fell Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Not disclaiming.
So they are claiming?

Old
01-02-2013, 11:11 PM
BrainOfJ
Diva

Has Walsh cried about staying up passed his bed time yet?

Old
01-02-2013, 11:15 PM
MioneRask134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
This song relates also

Hes dead in the eyes.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
what the hell is going on? why is it so damn quiet? is twitter broken?
No news = good news. Meetings still going on.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:34 PM
RussellmaniaKW

lol I can just see it now....

Bettman: "Well, Don, I think we've found a compromise that works for everyone...I'm glad we finally reached a deal."

Fehr: "Well, Gary, I hate to break it to you but YOU JUST GOT FEHR'D, PUNK! I texted my guys to file for disclaimer 20 minutes ago! Woohooo!!!!"

Old
01-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Shaun
beauty

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Squeezing sources...not much to share...but, told "open issues" still remain.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Ratty

Well....(yawn)..guess I'll turn in.

Wake me if there's any news.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Shaun
beauty

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
Players are leaving NHL offices. Fehr to podium

oh dear

Old
01-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Shaun
beauty

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet
Told by an NHL Source, they expect to be back at it tomorrow. #tickticktick.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Player source says pa did not file disclaimer. No official word from pa.

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
NHL CBA talks to start at 10 AM.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:16 AM
Cronuss

\m/ ?

Old
01-03-2013, 05:51 AM
BlackNgold 84

Man.. i'm usually hanging on every tweet/word/report about this poop pile, but when i heard that they we're gonna have an 8pm meeting i knew nothing would come down to after midnight. And I knew they wouldn't have a deal in place last night. How you people stay up past midnight for the inevitable is beyond me, but its good to get up in the morning and see the reactions from the night before. This deal will be getting done soon though.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
No surprise deal isn't done this morning, but am a little surprised PA didn't file disclaimer. Which may suggest a good sign.

I know the NHL has been in discussions with the CHL over a number of issues regarding this standoff. The OHL is claimed to be considering moving trade deadline from Jan 5 to Jan 10 so that teams will know what to do with the Dougie Hamilton's and Ryan Strome's of the league. (No I don't know if the NHL had any influence on that - but it wouldn't surprise me )

But the perfect scenario for the NHL/PA played out early this morning in Russia when Team USA beat Team Canada at the WJC and going for gold. Doesn't matter about Canada, fans will return but people in the US are talking real hockey now and there will be no better time for the NHL to start after Team USA wins a gold medal (at least I'm hoping). They need to capitalize on it.

IMO, if the OHL does in fact move back its trade deadline, we'll see an agreement between the NHL and the NHLPA on the same day January 10, maybe the 11th.

Congrats to my friends south of the border this morning - a well deserved win

Last edited by Dom - OHL: 01-03-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old
01-03-2013, 08:07 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Players optimistic
 after owners’ offer .

“I know personally I’m very excited, but I’m trying not to get too hyped up because if things don’t go the way we hope, then I’ll be disappointed,” said Bruins winger Brad Marchand, who has returned to Boston after spending time in his native Nova Scotia. “But we’re definitely skating with a little more of a purpose right now. And there’s an end in sight, whatever way it goes. It’s definitely a lot more fun out there.”

http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruin...E2%80%99_offer

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
01-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Pie O My

Told that their is still a gap between the NHL and NHLPA on core-economic issues. We'll see today if both sides are ready to budge.

Just hope the gap isn't "humongous beeg".

question for OOG- are there any issues that have definitely been put in the OUT file as decided on and finished for good? Just seems like every issue is like a vampire that keeps popping it's head up just when you think it's been put to rest.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:33 AM
DOGSTARMAN

They seem to be going back and forth in earnest now - finally. It's unfortunate that they are apparently going to run this right down to the wire to wring out every $ for one side or the other while more games are lost every day it drags on. Guess we'll have a last minute deal and the minimal # of games that can be played to make the season "meaningful." But it is looking like neither side is going to walk away in a huff anymore and that portends a deal at some point in the next week.

It's a maximally cynical approach, how brazen they are about using every last minute to get another $, forestalling the start of games and the healing of the league and the brand. Guess they figure they will take the arrows no matter what and additional increments of bad will don't matter at this point, as long as there is another $ to be made. At this stage, it is like sitting in the driveway with the car running while your wife keeps going back into the house to get something she forgot - or vice versa depending on your gender.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:39 AM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
question for OOG- are there any issues that have definitely been put in the OUT file as decided on and finished for good? Just seems like every issue is like a vampire that keeps popping it's head up just when you think it's been put to rest.
Supposedly the CBA term has been agreed to. From Twitter, it sounds like the Year 2 cap figure is a point of disagreement. And I keep reading about pensions and their survivability after this CBA expires as being another battleground, but I don't know the details there. Not sure about the max contract length, that was a sore point too. The league went up from 5 to 6 years, with 7 max for teams retaining their players, but I have not heard where the union stands on this one. It is probably good news that during the negotiations in December, the sides said "we haven't even gotten to transition matters yet" and it seems like that is where haggling is (partly) focused right now, meaning they probably have everything on the table now. I don't think there is a publicly known definitive summary after the negotiations of the past couple days of where the differences lie or what the gap looks like. Maybe Dom has some inside perspective on this?

With several of these matters, it invites asking "why don't they just split the difference" or horse trade one side giving in on one matter for the other giving in on another. But, I guess the issue becomes that when you multiply "compromise figure $X" by the number of teams or across the length of the CBA or in perpetuity, it adds up to lots of money. Whether fighting over it much more, or worse yet losing a season, is worth it given lost revenues and PR damage, that's a question that does not seem to factor in too much. If his job is to get the players the best deal he can, he has no incentive to stop asking for more as long as he knows the drop dead date for doing so.

An encouraging sign is that it sounds like a lot of hockey operations on the periphery of the negotiations is starting to spin up in anticipation of the lockout ending. Players returning from Europe, players coming back to start practicing, league employees being told to get ready. A lot of that is circumstantial but it does seem like the NHL hockey machine is at least warming up. To me that says that the movers and shakers are saying "we think this is about over." Now they'll fight until the bitter end and until time has run out, but then it will be done. BTW I still see no reason to hope this will end before it absolutely has to, which stinks because it has been very tiresome for fans. Maybe it is wrapped up this week but I would not be surprised if it drags on another 4-6 days. When Fehr says "still work to do," that is not very secret code for "give us more money." And he'll stop saying that when there aren't any more days left to say it.

Last edited by DOGSTARMAN: 01-03-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old
01-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Told that their is still a gap between the NHL and NHLPA on core-economic issues. We'll see today if both sides are ready to budge.

Just hope the gap isn't "humongous beeg".

Dont know. Daly and S Fehr had many issues settled over a month ago, only to become issues again.

Biggest issues I see now are:

1) NHLPA now wants a $65 million cap for next season (down from $67 million they proposed last month) while NHL is stuck on their $60 million

2) NHL has asked that $50 million of the $300 make whole goes towards pensions. Player pension has almost always been largely paid by players, however, PA is asking for $1 million from each team (another $30 million to their fund). League says they can't do it. Suppose to be a couple of pension experts take part in negotiations today. So many ways to make money for the pension such as World Cup, I don't know why its such a big deal.

3) While the PA didn't file the disclaimer, they have until 5 PM Tuesday to respond in court to the Leagues actions filed last month. Unfortunately, IMO, unfair pressure on the PA

Seems like the mediator has done a masterful job at bringing them closer together. Most of the other issues are "doable" with the PA giving in on contract length and the length of the CBA and a whole host of other things. Heard they gave in on the 10 year CBA with conditions largely because of the mediator. (who have been present for parts of the sessions)

There's also quiet rumors that agent Pat Brisson is once again involved behind the scenes but no one is able to confirm it.

Old
01-03-2013, 08:49 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
World Junior tourney is great- I can wait another few days for an agreement. Its soooooooooooo coming.

I had season tickets in 1994-5 err, 95 and it was the GREATEST regular season hockey ever seen in my 30 years as a season ticket holder.

We play our Division 28 times wow- the hate is going to be epic

Old
01-03-2013, 09:05 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
World Junior tourney is great- I can wait another few days for an agreement. Its soooooooooooo coming.

I had season tickets in 1994-5 err, 95 and it was the GREATEST regular season hockey ever seen in my 30 years as a season ticket holder.

We play our Division 28 times wow- the hate is going to be epic
Hey, I thought you were staying away until a deal got done

Old
01-03-2013, 09:18 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Why is the cap for next season even an issue, I thought they would allow teams to hit 70 just for this transition year...it's only fair considering the NHL themselves placed the cap there

Closed Thread