HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Advice for becoming more offensive.

Old
12-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Cattman
Laughing Skulls HC

vCash: 500
Advice for becoming more offensive.

Hey all, I'm a defenseman in a bottom level beer league. I'm a defensive defenseman, but my team is struggling offensively. I'm usually paired up with a weaker partner, so I don't pinch much. Any tips for becoming a bit more of an offensive defenseman?

Thanks!

Cattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:43 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattman View Post
Hey all, I'm a defenseman in a bottom level beer league. I'm a defensive defenseman, but my team is struggling offensively. I'm usually paired up with a weaker partner, so I don't pinch much. Any tips for becoming a bit more of an offensive defenseman?

Thanks!
Try to improve your passing and shot. Great vision is also another key. Keep your head up, look for the opening but also don't be afraid to let it go occasionally. Some D get caught passing too much. Just think of it this way, nothing bad can come of shooting the puck at the opposing net.

Also your centerman should be covering for you at the point (Thats what I was taught as a centerman, if your D pinches move back to the point, you like a 3rd Defensemen blah blah blah)if you pinch so you shouldn't necessarily be worrying about what your other D is doing.

But what are your skill sets? Are you fast? What kind of wrister/slap shot do you have? Hows your passing?

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Cattman
Laughing Skulls HC

I'm one of the better skaters on my team, that's why I'm on D. My passing is good. Stick handling and shooting are ok at best. When I do pinch and carry over the blue line, I run into their D and just try to bulldoze my way through. Sometimes I get a deep dump or a shot, or I end up losing the puck.
I've been working on my shooting and I plan to up my stick handling.

Cattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Trl3789

I think this is a common thing in lower levels, where one dman is a better skater than the other, so they feel the need to play it safe to protect their partner. I know i get caught doing it all the time. I think its more trying to figure out when the best time to turn up the offensive side of your game is rather than not necessarily having having the skill set. I like to shoot, and my team encourages me to shoot as much as i can, but i find myself more worried about leaving my partner out to dry than trying to find shots.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:56 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 70
Make sure to join the play whenever possible. Sometimes D can play "lazy"- get the puck out and then coast watching the forwards go to work. Instead, as you break out quickly rush with the forwards. As the forwards enter the zone creep behind like a hawk, waiting in that sweet area for a pass or rebound. If you have a few guys playing D you should be rested enough to jump in the play more and still have the sense to be back in position.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I find playing a little deeper in the offensive zone, moving the feet a bit more, and calling for the puck helps me get more looks. A lot of times everyone gets pulled into the corner and the point man ends up wide open if he slides through. Of course you have to watch you don't get caught.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:02 PM
JR97

Don't wash your jersey or air out your gear. You'll be plenty offensive in no time.

seriously, though. Getting up the ice quick and try and be the late guy on a rush. Make sure you communicate to your teamies to look for you, though. Rec leaguers tend to get the blinders on when heading up the ice.

Also, if your team has possession, maybe work in a little lower towards the 1/2 boards. Rec leaguers tend to not go there and it's an easy out for the deep guy behind the net.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 05:27 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
all things mentioned are good, also try reading the other teams breakout and anticipate their cross ice passes. pick them off and then take off the other way.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 06:14 PM
JR97

One little trick I do is if I see a D man winding up for a slapper and we've got sufficient rebound coverage, I might sneak a little to the opposite boards in case dude misses the net and the punk ends around. Even if I'm not the first guy on the puck I've got a head start to receive a breakout pass. I've had a few breakaways doing that.

Old
12-17-2012, 06:18 PM
JR97

Another thing to do is skate hard if someone is carrying the puck all the way up not passing and everyone else has to stop at the blue line. With a good head of steam I'll charge the net for a one timer close in, tip in, or rebound if the puck carrier shoots.

You can catch the opposing team snoozing because they'll slow up with the forwards and then they're flat footed when you come charging in. I get that chance at least every other game.

Old
12-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
If you're playing with a weaker partner it's probably not a good idea to get too offensive.

You need to either skate with a guy that can cover you, switch to forward or simply develop chemistry with your forwards to make more efficient breakouts.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 05:42 PM
nwharris74

I have the same problem. I Like playing D but I also wouldn't mind getting on the score sheet a bit more often.

nwharris74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 10:11 PM
mobilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattman View Post
I'm one of the better skaters on my team, that's why I'm on D. My passing is good. Stick handling and shooting are ok at best. When I do pinch and carry over the blue line, I run into their D and just try to bulldoze my way through. Sometimes I get a deep dump or a shot, or I end up losing the puck.
I've been working on my shooting and I plan to up my stick handling.
Stickhandling stickhandling stickhandling. If you have the skating, then equivalent stick skills opens so many opportunities. Find some drills you can do on ice and dry land...

mobilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:02 PM
jw2

All about anticipation and being proactive. Get to where the puck is going to be. If you are in the offensive zone, get into an open space where the puck can find you. On the rush, (without puck) find a hole/become a trailer.
Find open space and be visible to teammates.

jw2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
all things mentioned are good, also try reading the other teams breakout and anticipate their cross ice passes. pick them off and then take off the other way.
Man, you hit the nail right on the head. I cant tell you how many times you see the other teams D in the opposite corner looking for that pass across the center of the ice to his winger, even I fall for it at times in my own zone. If you grab it you usually have the slot to yourself. You do get burned with outnumbered attacks at times though but the risk usually pays off.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote