Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St. John's IceCaps 2012-13 - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 08:22 AM
Huffer

vCash: 625
Honest question to Trouty and CanadianJet, besides getting lucky on picking up a player from a lower league (ECHL, etc), or outright swindling another AHL team on a trade, if the Caps are to improve the roster, where do the players come from?

I ask because it seems to me that the core of the Caps team should come from drafted players from the parent org. To this point, it's pretty early to be looking to the players that the Jets org has drafted to be making an impact as they have only had two drafts. so the bulk of the current Caps should come from Thrasher picks right?

But, with 3 1st round Thrasher picks going straight to the NHL, plus a few bad picks, or picks that didn't turn out along the way, it doesn't seem like a surprise that the AHL team would be a little thin on talent.

Like PS has said, hopefully guys like Lowry, Sutter, Yuen, Olsen, Kosmachuk, etc can start to trickle down to the Caps in the next few years. Of course some of those guys could not turn out as well so there are no guarantees I guess.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Canadienjet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Gagnon and Maxwell, I agree. Machacek has potential, but he lacks a lot of consistency. I wonder if he was feeling somewhat entitled and decided to take a break, then threw the yoke off as soon as he was sent back to St. John's? Character problem? I haven't seen much of Arsene. There are a lot of depth AHLers on the team, with very few having a legitimate chance at joining the big club. I hope that Telegin matures in his game and finds the level of success he had in Junior, but having skills without hockey sense is like giving a 16 year old a Lambo for Christmas.

Man, how great would it be to have a rookie able to contribute in a meaningful way only a year removed from his draft year.
Machacek seems disintrested.Klingberg is lazy to be nice.I have hope for Telegin.

Many are wondering if McCambridge will be fired soon if not end of the season.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Canadienjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Honest question to Trouty and CanadianJet, besides getting lucky on picking up a player from a lower league (ECHL, etc), or outright swindling another AHL team on a trade, if the Caps are to improve the roster, where do the players come from?

I ask because it seems to me that the core of the Caps team should come from drafted players from the parent org. To this point, it's pretty early to be looking to the players that the Jets org has drafted to be making an impact as they have only had two drafts. so the bulk of the current Caps should come from Thrasher picks right?

But, with 3 1st round Thrasher picks going straight to the NHL, plus a few bad picks, or picks that didn't turn out along the way, it doesn't seem like a surprise that the AHL team would be a little thin on talent.

Like PS has said, hopefully guys like Lowry, Sutter, Yuen, Olsen, Kosmachuk, etc can start to trickle down to the Caps in the next few years. Of course some of those guys could not turn out as well so there are no guarantees I guess.
This season is essentially over for us after the past two games.Like I posted earlier there is a lot of dead weight on this team.

Don't care what we get in return.They don't care.

I'd have no problem playing younger guys at this point.They will be more motivated.They can't do much worse.

Last edited by Canadienjet: 02-07-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old
02-07-2013, 10:37 AM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadienjet View Post
This season is essentially over for us after the past two games.Like I posted earlier there is a lot of dead weight on this team.

I'd have no problem playing younger guys at this point.They will be more motivated.They can't do much worse.
Not making excuses but I would be surprised if having a good AHL team and a quality organization that treats its fans well in St John’s isn't a goal of TNSE. All the boys cut their teeth in the AHL so it would surprise me if they languished for long. They are obviously a bit distracted with the day job right now but they need to get their house in order because having dead weight and underperforming assets in the AHL means their feeder system isn't working and that isn't acceptable over the long run if they want to win at the NHL level. Doing well in St John's especially with young prospects is self serving for TNSE on all levels.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Huffer

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadienjet View Post

That's too bad that there's so much dead weight. Maybe they can move some, I'm not sure.

I was just trying to say that we're going to have to wait a few more years until TNSE draft picks are the bulk of the team.

Hopefully a few will start making the team next year.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:14 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Lets start thinking about a Caps roster for next season. Breaking current players down into categories, you have player on Jets contracts that extend past next season. Rfa's after this season. UFA's after this season. Players on Caps contracts, and people on PTO's. Of course there will be new players from the CHL and NCAA next season as well.

I am new to the business of armchair GM, so if I step on my weenie please be nice.

Players on contract past next season

Klingberg
Telegin
Melchiori
Chiarot
Sol

If I was in Chevy I'd shop Klingberg and Sol around. I think Klingberg is a bust, and I am entirely finished with him. He brings little to the table at the AHL level. Sol seems to be too slow to me, although he does hit. Everything he does Melchiori does better. I am guessing that you'd get little in return for either player, so I suppose you should pencil the top four in the Caps lineup. Sol maybe here or in Colorado I suppose. I'd like for newer players coming up to displace Klinger so we can send him to Colorado.

Comments ? A little later I'll give my thoughts on the RFA's.

A question, for the RFA's, they have to be given a qualifying offer or they become UFA's am I correct?

Old
02-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Gm0ney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Not making excuses but I would be surprised if having a good AHL team and a quality organization that treats its fans well in St John’s isn't a goal of TNSE. All the boys cut their teeth in the AHL so it would surprise me if they languished for long. They are obviously a bit distracted with the day job right now but they need to get their house in order because having dead weight and underperforming assets in the AHL means their feeder system isn't working and that isn't acceptable over the long run if they want to win at the NHL level. Doing well in St John's especially with young prospects is self serving for TNSE on all levels.
I really thought that's why the Jets picked up Peluso and Wright - so they could return Mach and Mace to St. John's in an attempt to bolster their lineup (or at least limit the disruption). But the players on the Ice Caps are going to notice this and feel slighted...I mean the Jets are willing to give Wright and Peluso roster spots ahead of any Ice Caps. Maybe it lights a fire, maybe it engenders resentment...

Buff's been out for 10 days - 3 games - and the team is rolling with 6 defensemen - no call ups! If Hainsey sprains his ankle at the AM skate and you find out he can't go tonight, you can't get a guy here from St. John's in time to play. So we dress 5 D? I think TNSE is doing its damndest to keep the Ice Caps roster intact.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:49 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Lets go to the other end. I'll mention 5 vets at first glance I'd like to keep. Meech, Sawada, Jaffray, Ramsey, Petiot. Arsene, and King would be let go.

Last edited by IceCapsFanNL: 02-07-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 11:55 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Also,
I'd sign Clark, Albert and Mouillerat to either a Jets or Caps Contract.

So that gives us Klingberg, Telegin, Melchiori, Chiarot, Sol, Meech, Sawada, Jaffray, Ramsey, Clark, Albert, Petiot and Mouillerat.

Eight forwards and five D men

Last edited by IceCapsFanNL: 02-07-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 12:01 PM
IceCapsFanNL

For RFA's we have, Gregoire, Cormier, O'Neill, O'Dell, Pasquale, Carozzi, Maxwell, Mahachek and Macenauer. I hate to say this, but only Pasquale and O'Dell are no brainers to qualify. O'Neill and Maxwell would go unqualified, as for the rest, I'd need to figure out which CHL and NCAA prospects are likely to be here next year. I don't think I'd keep Gregoire, Cormier, Mahachek or Macenauer if I had to use a veterans spot on them

Edit. Maxwell and Mahachek are vets, and I like the vets I've kept more than these two

Last edited by IceCapsFanNL: 02-07-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 12:11 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Briefly,

I see Schiefele, Lowry, Yuen, Brassard and Sutter as overagers for next year. I wonder which of them if any are here next year? I guess there is no way to anticipate this.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:24 PM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

Next year st johns team

Under contact prospects

--Telegin- 2 years left on his entry contract- hopefully we see some progression like Odell did last year to this year

--Melchiori -- 2 years left on Entry contract--- some promise lets see if he takes the next step

--Ben chairot -- 1 year left on his entry level contract-- some up side hope he improves with this years expierience

--Klingborg--- 1 year left on his entry contract--- we saw regression from last year on his compete level...... i would not be surprised if he stays in Sweden on loan as he is is not transitionoing to NA game

-- Cody Sol--- 1 yr left on entry contracct ---- filler 5-6 dman at Ahl level last year unless in AHL unless he improves

RFA PROSPECTS all of which will have to pass through waivers before being assigned to the ICECAPS

Cormier.... make it or break it year to make the Jets.... if he can stay healthy i give him a good shot to do so

Odell-- I like his progress.....hopefully he passes through waivers keeps progressing and can be a force on the Caps next year....with advancement to the jets a year after.....( Im rooting for him to take the next step)

Gregoire , Will Oneill, Ed Pascal I see all being offered a quallifying offer and being back with the Icecaps

Veterans RFA

- spencer Machecek
-Ben Maxwell
-Max Macenauer
all three should be givin a qualifying offer and they can compete for a job and or be injury replacement for the Jets........We could shake things up and trade them for some other AHL RFA vets that may need a new team /scenery to suceed

New Recruits CHL

_Adam Lowery--- Looking 4wrd to seeing him in a Ice cap Jersey

- Zack yuen Looking 4wrd to seeing him in a Ice caps jersey

-Lukas Sutter- hey hes a Sutter

-Austin Brassard-- 50-50 he gets offerd a contract

-- y Cisse QHL -40-60 he gets offered a contract

We need to sign some higher quality AHL Free agents over the off season.... some career ahl player that lights it up in the Ahl but not good enough to make the show........

Old
02-07-2013, 12:30 PM
IceCapsFanNL

With respect to The three M's shopping them around makes sense, so does going after AHL calibre snipers

Old
02-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
Briefly,

I see Schiefele, Lowry, Yuen, Brassard and Sutter as overagers for next year. I wonder which of them if any are here next year? I guess there is no way to anticipate this.
Brassard is the only one I see with overage potential in the CHL.

Lowry, Sutter, and Yuen will almost guaranteed be on the Caps. Scheifele will either be in the AHL or NHL next year. Absolute 0% chance Scheifele plays as an overager in the OHL.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:19 PM
trouty

In all honesty you can toss the whole Icecaps roster thats waiver eligible with exception to O Dell,Paz Telegin and Corms and no team would pick up any of are forwards cause their just terrible,as a seson ticket holder we could not give are forwards away.This team may finish 15th in east,teams behind them have 4-5 games in hand,ima give the icecaps the same effort this weekend and on the road by showing up in body and tunning out wake me up in october when this train wreck ends

Old
02-07-2013, 01:37 PM
IceCapsFanNL

I don't quite understand the last 4 lines

Old
02-07-2013, 01:46 PM
trouty

Means cause I have season tickets.I will attend the games,but in all honesty don't care the result.That whole coaching staff has to go Top to Bottom.When a team keeps coming out flat at home sometthing has to change.Have they stopped playing for Keith.Also I've never seen a team in 18 yrs of hockey here get shutout at home with ease,we been shutout at Mile One least 3 to 4 timesnits unacceptable least with Leafs and Fog Devils I paid half the price with double the effort

Old
02-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Canadienjet

My stab at dream icecaps line up

Jaffray-Hensick-Cheechoo
Cormier-Dzranovic-O'Dell
Klinkhammer-Albert-Telegin
Klingberg-Sutter-Gregoire
x-Brassard,Cisse,Braden Walker,Lowry

Meech-Petiot
Melchiori-Ramsey
Yuen-Chairot
X O'Neill

Pasquale
?(Unsure if Dex will be back,insert whomever.

Coach: Doug Shedden/Jared Bednar/John Anderson/ Either one of the three.

I'm assuimg Schiefele makes the Jets.

I know it won't happen but King would be gone.Clark I think will leave because he deserves to play more.

Hensick-Cheechoo worked well in Peoria without much around them.

Nick Dzranovic is solid 2nd line center in the AHL,Klinkhammer tears up the Caps.

Last edited by Canadienjet: 02-07-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 04:46 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I think IceCap fans will be pleasantly surprised with Lowry...
He's as offensively successful as Telegin almost mirror image for PPG in each of his CHL season, but some factors that make him more encouraging (for IceCaps fans):
*WHL averages lower PPG than OHL so it's a bit harder to do
*unlike Telegin he's pretty much already filled out
*his style and game will likely translate to a much faster learning curve/transitioning to pro

I still think Telegin has more offensive upside... but I really think you guys will be happy with him.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:08 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I think IceCap fans will be pleasantly surprised with Lowry...
He's as offensively successful as Telegin almost mirror image for PPG in each of his CHL season, but some factors that make him more encouraging (for IceCaps fans):
*WHL averages lower PPG than OHL so it's a bit harder to do
*unlike Telegin he's pretty much already filled out
*his style and game will likely translate to a much faster learning curve/transitioning to pro

I still think Telegin has more offensive upside... but I really think you guys will be happy with him.
Yea Telegin was kind of a rover when he arrived according to the Jets brass (and McCambridge) and had to learn how to be a pro and play his position.

Lowry is wise beyond his years and I believe will transition really well to the AHL game. His dad has been grooming him for the pro game since he was a kid and I think he will "catch on" instantly. There is always an adjustment to the size and speed but I think he will relish the challenge.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:35 PM
trouty

Id say are sell out streak ends after this season,plenty of seats now sit empty,If your team cant put in a effort to care,quite frankly why should fans put in the effort to attend.I think the sell out record and 50/50 are all Icecaps management cared about,rumor has it loads of corporations are pulling out as they cant give their seats away for free.Far cry from last season when they were scalpt for 75-100,this season scalpers cant get face value.I can handle losing seasons,believe me Leafs had a few here,but least they showed up and tried,this team just dont try.I hope Jets go with youth next year and clear out all the negative attitudes in that locker room,cause their are a few in their

Old
02-08-2013, 02:05 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Oh,

I think attendance will be fine till after next season at least. Many ST holders are committed until after next season. There's no way attendance falls to SJML levels which was 75%~85% full. City is bigger with way more money here. BTW I remember many poor efforts from Leafs/Fog Devils. part of hockey.

IMO the real issue is not effort, it's offensive talent.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:52 PM
trouty

To get out of your 3 year basically costs nothing,that 150 you paid was offset by a hidden tax or surcharge,so if people wanted to commit all they lose is the 150 they paid 2 yrs ago that most forgot

As for the Leafs and Devils,Leafs had some offnights yes,but not off months at home.Leafs prob was they were out drinking after a win and show up in the backend lazy,and rarly backchecked.Thou least the Leafs could score a goal,and for the most part had winning records here.Also Leafs tickets were half the price with prob more excitment.

Devils were a expansion team and were mainly tough and filled with newfies,Devils owned Mile One they had a winning record on home ice,their prob was road.Now were paying double the cost with no effort or talent for 6 out of 8 home games

Lets hope when this 15th place disaster of a season ends that Winnipeg will just toss away the exxass baggage and players who simply dont wanna be here

Old
02-09-2013, 01:49 PM
MrMariusz

Big games for the IceCaps coming up this weekend. Must-win games.

Then they need to have a good road performance or they can pack it up.

I haven't given up hope yet, Worcester plays a very physical game that, unfortunately, gets them rewarded at the AHL level. Next games we will see more hockey, less pushing/shoving.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:25 PM
IceCapsFanNL

On my way to the game on a snowy, blustery night. I almost didn't go, but I gotta cheer for the Caps!!

Closed Thread