Notices

St. John's IceCaps 2012-13 - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Lowry is going to look slow that's for sure. No 6'5" guy is ever going to look fast. If you had Wheeler skate around on his own you'd never realize he's the fastest guy on the team.

That being said speed has been a quoted issue with him. I just think it's a tad overblown.

Old
04-06-2013, 07:07 PM
IceCapsFanNL

vCash: 500
As for the rest of his game, one positive is he is not so easy to knock off the puck. Not afraid to use the body.

His speed is comparable to Ramsey.

Old
04-06-2013, 07:16 PM
jetkarma

It is one thing to be told what to improve , but to experience that , especially for a smart player like Lowry will be a real benefit over the summer.

Old
04-06-2013, 07:21 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
St. John's IceCaps ‏@IceCapsAHL 14m

Rookie Adam Lowry playing in his second pro game has looked pretty good http://flic.kr/p/e9hzn3
Can't link the photo directly.

Old
04-06-2013, 07:30 PM
bazaaa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
No 6'5" guy is ever going to look fast. If you had Wheeler skate around on his own you'd never realize he's the fastest guy on the team.
Well that made absolutely no sense, thanks.

Old
04-06-2013, 07:45 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
It makes perfect sense. Big guys legs aren't turning over as quickly and their big strides make them look like they are exerting very little effort. Look at Usain Bolt he looks like he is gliding and barely putting in any effort. His legs actually look to be moving visibly slower than the other smaller sprinters but in reality he is moving forward much, much quicker than they are.

Old
04-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
What he meant was that big, lanky players usually have have gangly-appearing skating strides and as such often don't appear to be moving as quickly as they actually are.

Old
04-06-2013, 07:57 PM
bazaaa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
It makes perfect sense. Big guys legs aren't turning over as quickly and their big strides make them look like they are exerting very little effort. Look at Usain Bolt he looks like he is gliding and barely putting in any effort. His legs actually look to be moving visibly slower than the other smaller sprinters but in reality he is moving forward much, much quicker than they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
What he meant was that big, lanky players usually have have gangly-appearing skating strides and as such often don't appear to be moving as quickly as they actually are.
Oh, okay, makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up.
I took it as tall guys aren't fast, then he goes right on to mention Wheeler (who has decent speed) and was 'wtf?'.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Oh, okay, makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up.
I took it as tall guys aren't fast, then he goes right on to mention Wheeler (who has decent speed) and was 'wtf?'.
No. Many players on the Jets have said that Wheeler is the fastest guy on the team. I was just describing how tall lanky players never look fast.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:55 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Wait... So...

Kane can look fast at 6'2
Telegin can look fast at 6'3
Wheeler can look fast at 6'5

..but others can't because they are tall.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:04 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Kane is faster than Wheeler, definitely in acceleration, and maybe only a bit more at top speed.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:56 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Guys... He misunderstood what Sweech was saying.
It's just miscuminication; he knows Wheeler is fast.
That is why he was confused.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Something else he's alluding to is that if you didn't have a frame of reference to make a comparison to (he's skating by himself) he may appear slow, when he's actually not.

Whenever you watch a high-profile marathon on TV and they're showing the leader, he's usually running by him/herself, separated from the pack. You see bystanders clapping. The runner looks relaxed, even like he's jogging maybe. But he's actually running very fast and working quite hard. 5 minute miles. You don't realize it but the average person would have trouble running that speed over a short distance much less keeping it for 26.2 miles. It's crazy. Every stride is eating up huge amounts of ground.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:14 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Something else he's alluding to is that if you didn't have a frame of reference to make a comparison to (he's skating by himself) he may appear slow, when he's actually not.

Whenever you watch a high-profile marathon on TV and they're showing the leader, he's usually running by him/herself, separated from the pack. You see bystanders clapping. The runner looks relaxed, even like he's jogging maybe. But he's actually running very fast and working quite hard. 5 minute miles. You don't realize it but the average person would have trouble running that speed over a short distance much less keeping it for 26.2 miles. It's crazy. Every stride is eating up huge amounts of ground.
Track runner here, to verify his example. Five minute mile is nuts. When I was 18 and 19 (21 now) I was Junior Provincial champ in the 800m (half mile) and my junior time would have put me around 10th - 15th rank for junior in Canada, and even at that time, I couldn't even run TWO miles at 5 min each, much less 26.2. Still can't, but I'm more of a 400 guy now.

But I digress.

Those guys are off the charts insane. Absolutely Nuts.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:50 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterpeg View Post
Track runner here, to verify his example. Five minute mile is nuts. When I was 18 and 19 (21 now) I was Junior Provincial champ in the 800m (half mile) and my junior time would have put me around 10th - 15th rank for junior in Canada, and even at that time, I couldn't even run TWO miles at 5 min each, much less 26.2. Still can't, but I'm more of a 400 guy now.

But I digress.

Those guys are off the charts insane. Absolutely Nuts.
With you on this one winterpeg.....I use to do triathlon’s in another life and had a PB of 2:17 for Olympic distance (reasonable pace in a rec kind of way for a guy who took it up late in life)……..on the other hand a buddy of mine's wife who is not “runner skinny” at all took up running in her late 20’s and now she is in her mid 30’s and her PB is 3:04 for a full marathon and I gush when I tell the story and everyone else glazes over, and I say you have no idea how freaking fast that is.

To your point a 5:00 minute mile is close to sub 30 minute 10K and that is insanely fast for 10K let alone banging it out x 4….. and you are right if they are up front on a run the only thing that gives the pace reference his how fast they go past spectators

now back to the point about Adam.....I know big guys look a bit slower than little guys but it will be one of the things Adam needs to continue to work on.

Last edited by ps241: 04-08-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old
04-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Wait... So...

Kane can look fast at 6'2
Telegin can look fast at 6'3
Wheeler can look fast at 6'5

..but others can't because they are tall.
It all depends on skating stride. Wheeler on his own does not look fast. Long loping strides just don't "appear" as fast. Your first steps can also be a contributing factor.

Am I breaking some kind of new ground here? Anyone been to skating lessons/practices or anything? I'm 6'2" and super lanky, but I'm often the fastest player on my team although without anyone else skating around me you wouldn't know. Although it's much more common when you start getting around 6'4" +

Not even just skating, but running in general. Tall people with long strides often appear slower. I don't understand what is mind boggling behind this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Kane is faster than Wheeler, definitely in acceleration, and maybe only a bit more at top speed.
I'm going off of players on the Jets saying Wheeler is the fastest.

Which perfectly illustrates my point. Kane looks faster than Wheeler, but if you clocked them it's possible that Wheeler is indeed faster.

Last edited by Sweech: 04-08-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old
04-08-2013, 04:33 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
It all depends on skating stride. Wheeler on his own does not look fast. Long loping strides just don't "appear" as fast. Your first steps can also be a contributing factor.

Am I breaking some kind of new ground here? Anyone been to skating lessons/practices or anything? I'm 6'2" and super lanky, but I'm often the fastest player on my team although without anyone else skating around me you wouldn't know. Although it's much more common when you start getting around 6'4" +

Not even just skating, but running in general. Tall people with long strides often appear slower. I don't understand what is mind boggling behind this idea.
I understand what you are saying, but how many people watch NHLers skate alone? I would think most observations of speed are relative to the other people on the ice. Antropov looks fast because he loses races to the puck. Kane and Wheeler look fast because they blow by people.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I understand what you are saying, but how many people watch NHLers skate alone? I would think most observations of speed are relative to the other people on the ice. Antropov looks fast because he loses races to the puck. Kane and Wheeler look fast because they blow by people.
I agree. It's often relative to who you're around. Still, people last year were calling Wheeler slow. He needed to pile up evidence to the contrary until people actually knew.

Plus it takes nothing away from how fast someone appears, which is what I was talking about. The natural example above was Kane vs. Wheeler. Most would say they think Kane is faster, but numerous Jets have said Wheeler is the fastest guy on the team.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:50 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
I agree. It's often relative to who you're around. Still, people last year were calling Wheeler slow. He needed to pile up evidence to the contrary until people actually knew.

Plus it takes nothing away from how fast someone appears, which is what I was talking about. The natural example above was Kane vs. Wheeler. Most would say they think Kane is faster, but numerous Jets have said Wheeler is the fastest guy on the team.
Honestly Sweech to me Wheeler and Kane both look like they have blazing speed to me.......Wheels is a bit less consistant with the application of his gift but we are talking about two tall greyhounds.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:07 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
I'm going off of players on the Jets saying Wheeler is the fastest.

Which perfectly illustrates my point. Kane looks faster than Wheeler, but if you clocked them it's possible that Wheeler is indeed faster.
Kane won the fastest skater at the Jets skills competition. I don't know what Wheeler clocked in at. I think Stapleton and Kane were tied, and Oduya right behind them.

Last edited by allan5oh: 04-08-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old
04-08-2013, 11:17 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Honestly Sweech to me Wheeler and Kane both look like they have blazing speed to me.......Wheels is a bit less consistant with the application of his gift but we are talking about two tall greyhounds.
Same. They both look super quick to me.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Zhamnov10

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Kane won the fastest skater at the Jets skills competition. I don't know what Wheeler clocked in at. I think Stapleton and Kane were tied, and Oduya right behind them.
Wheeler didn't compete in the event and Burmi came in second.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:13 AM
Huffer

So, how about those Ice Caps?

Games tonight and tomorrow against Portland.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov10 View Post
Wheeler didn't compete in the event and Burmi came in second.
Burmi was 4th behind Kane, Stapleton, and Oduya. Wheeler did not participate but I think he would have done well. Same with Bogo.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:36 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
So, how about those Ice Caps?

Games tonight and tomorrow against Portland.
Going to the game tonight. Zach Redmond is in town tonight, and will be honored in some way. He is a fan favorite here.

Got invited into a luxury box for Wednesday's game.

Going Sunday to the final home game, which is fan appreciation day.

Closed Thread