Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Hammer Slammer

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
Going to the game tonight. Zach Redmond is in town tonight, and will be honored in some way. He is a fan favorite here.
Nice! He was at the Jets game on Saturday and they showed his interview and he waved from the tunnel. Got a huge standing ovation.

04-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
With you on this one winterpeg.....I use to do triathlon’s in another life and had a PB of 2:17 for Olympic distance (reasonable pace in a rec kind of way for a guy who took it up late in life)……..on the other hand a buddy of mine's wife who is not “runner skinny” at all took up running in her late 20’s and now she is in her mid 30’s and her PB is 3:04 for a full marathon and I gush when I tell the story and everyone else glazes over, and I say you have no idea how freaking fast that is.

To your point a 5:00 minute mile is close to sub 30 minute 10K and that is insanely fast for 10K let alone banging it out x 4….. and you are right if they are up front on a run the only thing that gives the pace reference his how fast they go past spectators

now back to the point about Adam.....I know big guys look a bit slower than little guys but it will be one of the things Adam needs to continue to work on.
3:04 full marathon is a fantastic time she should be extremely proud of, would probably compete for the women's podium in smaller events. I'll echo some others here...I've ran several marathons (3:45 - 3:50 seems to be my standard, usually finish in top quarter of the field) and can't even do one mile at 5:00. My mile time trial is just over 6 minutes. Yet the winner of the Boston Marathon in 2011 did 26.2 miles at 4:42/mile. Unbefrickinglievable. You see these guys running towards the camera and you have no sense of their speed. But you show the overhead helicopter shot and you see how huge their strides are and how fast their turnover is.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:21 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
3:04 full marathon is a fantastic time she should be extremely proud of, would probably compete for the women's podium in smaller events. I'll echo some others here...I've ran several marathons (3:45 - 3:50 seems to be my standard, usually finish in top quarter of the field) and can't even do one mile at 5:00. My mile time trial is just over 6 minutes. Yet the winner of the Boston Marathon in 2011 did 26.2 miles at 4:42/mile. Unbefrickinglievable. You see these guys running towards the camera and you have no sense of their speed. But you show the overhead helicopter shot and you see how huge their strides are and how fast their turnover is.
3:04 for a female is borderline elite. That's a wicked wicked time.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:40 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

That's unreal. A young adult in fairly good shape wouldn't be able to keep that pace for half a mile.

Still off topic, unless we're running to St. Johns. BTW I took the ferry out that way in the rig one time. $650 per crossing (one way). 6.5 hour ferry ride. The ferry was very nice, and can hold 530 cars. Here's the newer one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Atlantic_Vision

Didn't do so good on the way out, that boat is off the water anyways.

I've been all around Nova Scotia and took the drive across Newfoundland to St. Johns. It's quite the experience.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
Going to the game tonight. Zach Redmond is in town tonight, and will be honored in some way. He is a fan favorite here.

Got invited into a luxury box for Wednesday's game.

Going Sunday to the final home game, which is fan appreciation day.
Have fun!

Really looking to hear your thoughts (at the end of the year?) on the team, possible prospects for the Jets, etc.

Looks like Telegin struggled this year, but I would really like to hear your thoughts on O'Dell, and how Lowry looks in the next few games. Melchiori as well.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:19 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterpeg View Post
3:04 for a female is borderline elite. That's a wicked wicked time.
Thank you Wings and winterpeg....and I really mean that. I always get so pumped when I tell people about her times and nobody GETS IT. She is not tiny and started out as a rec runner in her mid 20's.

The funny part is her husband (my friend) actually started training her in one of those running room groups and he has yet to break 4 hours.....you know you are a better coach than a player when.....

I guess more people would be impressed if I said she took up golf in her mid 20's and 10 years later she usually shoots between 68 to 72 "in tournaments" at Niakwa.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:30 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
Thank you Wings and winterpeg....and I really mean that. I always get so pumped when I tell people about her times and nobody GETS IT. She is not tiny and started out as a rec runner in her mid 20's.

The funny part is her husband (my friend) actually started training her in one of those running room groups and he has yet to break 4 hours.....you know you are a better coach than a player when.....

I guess more people would be impressed if I said she took up golf in her mid 20's and 10 years later she usually shoots between 68 to 72 "in tournaments" at Niakwa.
Haha. I know EXACTLY how you feel. "How is track going" "Well I ran a 1:55 last week!" "Is that good?"

Three hours and change would likely be within the top 1% of female marathon runners. Like, that's NOT a 'recreational runners' time.

But I am SO far off topic... Uh... SEGWAY!

I wen't to the maritimes once for Junior Nationals. That's relevant to St. Johns the city at least...

In actual relevance I'm really excited to find out what Lowry can do for these boys, and give Redmond a big cheer for me.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Miruvor

vCash: 500
So, Icecaps win 3-2, O'Dell notches an assist and takes the single-season scoring record for the 'caps.. We better see this guy in training camp next season

Old
04-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miruvor View Post
So, Icecaps win 3-2, O'Dell notches an assist and takes the single-season scoring record for the 'caps.. We better see this guy in training camp next season
All players in the Jets system (other than college players) attend training camp.

Of note, Eric O'Dell is waiver eligible next year. With his season this year, I am not certain he would clear waivers, even with 0 career NHL games on his resume. That'll be interesting.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:11 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:

Wow. This woman sounds like a natural athlete. I get pumped up when I golf in the 80s, which is extremely rare, and I have golfed since I was a teen.

Edit: As for the thread lol It's nice to see the IceCaps putting together some wins towards the end of the season. Things should look better next season with some of the new additions.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:17 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Wow. This woman sounds like a natural athlete. I get pumped up when I golf in the 80s, which is extremely rare, and I have golfed since I was a teen.

Edit: As for the thread lol It's nice to see the IceCaps putting together some wins towards the end of the season. Things should look better next season with some of the new additions.
Whoops sorry on that one she does golf not nearly that well....i guess that was a poor reference. I meant that if she golfed scratch everyone would get it but tell them she runs 3:04 in a marathon and they don't have a sniff if that is good or bad

Old
04-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miruvor View Post
Good news for O'Dell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
All players in the Jets system (other than college players) attend training camp.

Of note, Eric O'Dell is waiver eligible next year. With his season this year, I am not certain he would clear waivers, even with 0 career NHL games on his resume. That'll be interesting.
I hope the Jets give him a chance (if we don't acquire a bunch of players elsewhere). Maybe a guy like O'Dell on the 3rd line could help us start to get some scoring from lines other than LLW?

Possibly give him a chance at the beginning of the season, but if there isn't room try to trade him instead of potentially losing him for nothing?

Old
04-10-2013, 09:16 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:

I didn't realize he was eligible, but it will be really interesting to watch.

Apart from the obvious RFAs Chevy will also have to make decisions on:

Peluso, Tangradi, Wright, O'Dell, Cormier are all RFAs and all will be waiver eligible.

Can he keep them all? Is Cormier going to be the odd man out?

On defense Kulda, Postma and Redmond are more waiver eligible RFAs

Quick aside:

Wright - 22
Kubalik - 22
Peluso - 23
Tangradi - 23

Aren't world beaters, but they are they relatively young and they were next to free.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I didn't realize he was eligible, but it will be really interesting to watch.

Apart from the obvious RFAs Chevy will also have to make decisions on:

Peluso, Tangradi, Wright, O'Dell, Cormier are all RFAs and all will be waiver eligible.

Can he keep them all? Is Cormier going to be the odd man out?

On defense Kulda, Postma and Redmond are more waiver eligible RFAs

Quick aside:

Wright - 22
Kubalik - 22
Peluso - 23
Tangradi - 23

Aren't world beaters, but they are they relatively young and they were next to free.
Kubalik is also waiver eligible. I really doubt Kubalik will be back, he was talking about leaving last year (despite the fact he couldn't) should he not be in NHL. He is as good as gone in the off-season, IMO. We'll likely qualify him, but I think he'll head to Europe. Maybe at some time in the future he'll be back in the fold like Kulda.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:51 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Kubalik is also waiver eligible. I really doubt Kubalik will be back, he was talking about leaving last year (despite the fact he couldn't) should he not be in NHL. He is as good as gone in the off-season, IMO. We'll likely qualify him, but I think he'll head to Europe. Maybe at some time in the future he'll be back in the fold like Kulda.
I don't think he will be back either. Him going to Europe is better for the Jets anyways. It means they get to hold onto an asset without waivers coming into play. If he breaks out offensively in Europe he can come back. If not, nothing is lost.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the others though.

Tanger has been playing well lately, but neither he or Wright appear to have any finishing ability at this level. Still, I could see something like

Tanger-Burmi/Scheif-?
Wright-Slater-Peluso

In the bottom 6 next year.

With:
LLW
Kane-Scheif/Burmi-UFA

My goodness I really wish they didn't have to find room for Olli.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:30 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
I don't think he will be back either. Him going to Europe is better for the Jets anyways. It means they get to hold onto an asset without waivers coming into play. If he breaks out offensively in Europe he can come back. If not, nothing is lost.

Tanger has been playing well lately, but neither he or Wright appear to have any finishing ability at this level. Still, I could see something like

Tanger-Burmi/Scheif-?
Wright-Slater-Peluso

With:
LLW
Kane-Scheif/Burmi-UFA

The good news bad news on this is that injuries always seem to allow room for everyone to fit comfortably under the tent.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Tanger-Burmi/Scheif-?
Wright-Slater-Peluso

With:
LLW
Kane-Scheif/Burmi-UFA

Santorelli too, no? UFA and waiver eligible?

I have concerns with this group, though. I'll be pretty worried if we go into next season with the line-up above only because it's exactly what we're playing with right now, with the addition of Scheifele possibly, but how much can he be counted on?.

Chevy has some big decisions to make this summer in my opinion. I'd love to see some changes obviously in the form of a top 6 forward who can put up some numbers. However, I also wonder what Chevy thinks about bringing back that bottom 6 you outlined because we've seen quite a bit of them as a group this season and they really provide no secondary scoring for the top 6. My fear is come next season we'll have the same problem as we've had since the team got here, very little identity and production from the bottom 6.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Old
04-10-2013, 11:31 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Santorelli too, no? UFA and waiver eligible?

I have concerns with this group, though. I'll be pretty worried if we go into next season with the line-up above only because it's exactly what we're playing with right now, with the addition of Scheifele possibly, but how much can he be counted on?.

Chevy has some big decisions to make this summer in my opinion. I'd love to see some changes obviously in the form of a top 6 forward who can put up some numbers. However, I also wonder what Chevy thinks about bringing back that bottom 6 you outlined because we've seen quite a bit of them as a group this season and they really provide no secondary scoring for the top 6. My fear is come next season we'll have the same problem as we've had since the team got here, very little identity and production from the bottom 6.
Yeah. Santorelli will be a UFA. He could land a 1-way deal, but sending I don't think he will. My hope is that Chevy adds a legit #2RW. In all likelihood the Jets are gonna have to get better via growth and development.

That bottom 6 may be underwhelming, but I am not sure who is better and likely to be available. I don't know how much headway can be made through trades wither. If you were to trade one of LLW, Wheeler would probably be that guy, but that would be a sign of a flat out rebuild.

Kane is the offensive weapon for the future. Burmi has upside and limited trade value. The rest are young and unproven. Would Chevy add a vet or two in place of these kids if he is thinking long term?

Looks like there should be room to add via UFA or in a possible Byfuglien move, but apart from that, rejigging forwards won't do a ton. Best bet IMO is to add a top 6 piece and push everybody else down the lineup.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:20 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
Looks like there should be room to add via UFA or in a possible Byfuglien move, but apart from that, rejigging forwards won't do a ton. Best bet IMO is to add a top 6 piece and push everybody else down the lineup.
I think you gotta move Buff, for maybe some top 6 help. (The more I read stuff about Vorachek, the more I think getting him with even a really small + would be a great thing for us) And I think we need a goalie who is at least as much as league average.

A buddy who was a really big fan of the Moose has been pulling for Schneider ever since we got the team back, maybe if Lou proves untradeable?

I just think that top 6 scoring is our second most prominent weakness, with goaltending being our first.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Zhamnov10

Quote:
Yeah. Santorelli will be a UFA. He could land a 1-way deal, but sending I don't think he will. My hope is that Chevy adds a legit #2RW. In all likelihood the Jets are gonna have to get better via growth and development.

That bottom 6 may be underwhelming, but I am not sure who is better and likely to be available. I don't know how much headway can be made through trades wither. If you were to trade one of LLW, Wheeler would probably be that guy, but that would be a sign of a flat out rebuild.

Kane is the offensive weapon for the future. Burmi has upside and limited trade value. The rest are young and unproven. Would Chevy add a vet or two in place of these kids if he is thinking long term?

The only guy I would marginally want via UFA is Horton,but his play has really gone down hill this year.i think buff and a pick has to be moved for a top six C/RW and a top 4 LD.I still feel Stastny will be an option for winnipeg yes his salary is horrible for one more year I think we could acquire him at a decent price.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:48 PM
buggs

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterpeg View Post
I think you gotta move Buff, for maybe some top 6 help. (The more I read stuff about Vorachek, the more I think getting him with even a really small + would be a great thing for us) And I think we need a goalie who is at least as much as league average.

A buddy who was a really big fan of the Moose has been pulling for Schneider ever since we got the team back, maybe if Lou proves untradeable?

I just think that top 6 scoring is our second most prominent weakness, with goaltending being our first.
Rumours of Bryzgalov being bought out by Flyers. Maybe we can get him on the cheap. I know of some nice parks in town.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:54 PM
MrMariusz

7-2-1 in their last ten, and still climbing. Respectable way to close out the season.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:06 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMariusz View Post
7-2-1 in their last ten, and still climbing. Respectable way to close out the season.
Was this as simple as getting Macho out of the dressing room and sending a message to everyone or has it been more than that? Any word on how Lowry looked yesterday and how he is being used?

Old
04-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Was this as simple as getting Macho out of the dressing room and sending a message to everyone or has it been more than that? Any word on how Lowry looked yesterday and how he is being used?
If one player was that toxic to a team, you simply don't have a very strong team or leadership. Particularly when you consider IceCaps have to be one of, if the not the oldest team in the league, that would be bad news.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:04 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
My initial impression of Lowry was wrong. He is on the higher end of forward on the team. He sticks his nose into what is going on. He bumps bodies. If he puts some pounds on watch out. I like his grit.

Gagnon seemed to get his groove back in early March. He had an 11 game point games streak going in March. Who knows if Macho departing had anything else to. The O'Dell, Mouillerat, Lunden line has been on fire the last few weeks as well. I hope the Jets give Mouillerat a 2 way for next season, the kid is all heart. He took on a Marlie defenseman last Saturday night that towered over him.

On the other hand Pasquale is really not doing well, Dekanich is a better prospect IMO

Closed Thread