Notices

St. John's IceCaps 2012-13 - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2013, 12:14 PM
IceCapsFanNL

vCash: 500
# 47 Ray Kaunisto

I was impressed with this guy when he played with the Monarchs in 2011- 2012. When the Caps signed him last summer, I thought it was a good thing. He played one game and has played in Colorado. Not sure what happened, probably off ice stuff??

# 43

Shawn Weller

Was signed from the ECHL and played 3 games before being injured. Too bad as he was a high energy guy whao was good here in 2011- 2012. Does well in the ECHL.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:15 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
Oh stop it I'm getting all fuzzy
Well if it's only fuzzy you are getting, that's OK

Old
04-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
I know its only 6 games, but after seeing him play 4 games I am impressed. He was tentative the first game, and a little hesitant with the speed of the game. Now, I see a good skater, responsible defensively. Eager to go to the hard areas, not afraid of hitting. Hard to knock off the puck. I think he'll be a gem.

Here I'll risk the wrath of the Jets faithful. I am more impressed with Lowry than I was with Schiefele when he was here last season.
You are not risking the wrath of the Lowry faithful here though!

Seriously, to be fair I think the difference between the two that you are seeing though is that Scheifele wasn't physically ready at 18 years old last season and was also exhausted after a very long season. They play entirely different games and both offer different things to a team as such. I do fully agree with your assessment that Lowry might be a gem.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:20 PM
IceCapsFanNL

#32 Josh Godfrey

Signed from Las Vegas, played four games on defence. Released

#13 Norm Ezekiel

Brought up from ECHL, and has played 9 games. He is a small agitator type forward. Not sure he gets much of a look next seaon from the Caps, and Lunden, Touissant, and Cormier fill that role better.

# 38 Ryan Schnell

Tough guy signed over the summer. Played 33 games, lost a lot of time due to...... you guessed it, Injury. No points, and reluctant to fight. Strange.

Thats it for the skaters

Old
04-18-2013, 12:21 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

Seriously, to be fair I think the difference between the two that you are seeing though is that Scheifele wasn't physically ready at 18 years old last season and was also exhausted after a very long season. They play entirely different games and both offer different things to a team as such. I do fully agree with your assessment that you think Lowry will be a gem.

Yeah, that entered my mind as well.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:29 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Not going to say much about the stats of the Goalies, none of the numbers are good.

# 40 Eddie Pasquale.

Eddie has been at best inconsistant all season. One game he is a brick wall, then there are three when is very good, but a 1, 2 or 3 real softies. I don't know why. I have noticed a bit of indifference in him on the ice the last few games. It's as if he has given up. He is a RFA after this season. Good AHL calibre goalies don't grow on trees, so I'd guess he is qualified.

# 31 Mark Dekanich

Played 10 fewer games than Eddie, with worse stats. It didn't work out for him here. Down the stretch, I thought he was better than #40, but Coach seemed to favor Eddie. Mark is a UFA, so I'd say he's gone.

# 35 Chris Carozzi

Played 3 games with the Caps, when he was called up played very little. RFA after this season. I'd guess he isn't qualified.

Thats it folks. Had lots of fun at MileOne this season. Gonna listen to the three games this weekend and Go Jets!!!

Old
04-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:

Seriously, to be fair I think the difference between the two that you are seeing though is that Scheifele wasn't physically ready at 18 years old last season and was also exhausted after a very long season. They play entirely different games and both offer different things to a team as such. I do fully agree with your assessment that Lowry might be a gem.

Agreed. And on another note, neither one has to be bad for the other to be good (Just in general, not you IceCapsFanNL). Just like I didn't understand why we needed to tear down either of Trouba or Scheifele to determine who was our "best" prospect, I think it's awesome to have them all.

The fact that it looks like we have an impact player in the 3rd round is great for us.

Thanks for your summaries IceCapsFanNL!

Old
04-18-2013, 01:55 PM
angrymnky

Quote:
Now, I see a good skater, responsible defensively. Eager to go to the hard areas, not afraid of hitting. Hard to knock off the puck. I think he'll be a gem.
Quote:
They play entirely different games and both offer different things to a team as such.
Thanks for the assessments. My money's still on Schiefele, I love the underdog and he's become that after all the Trouba and Lowry love-ins.

Old
04-18-2013, 03:16 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
# 47 Adam Lowry

6 GP
0 G
1 A
2 PIM
0 PPG
0 SHG
9 SOG

3 years left on ELC

I know its only 6 games, but after seeing him play 4 games I am impressed. He was tentative the first game, and a little hesitant with the speed of the game. Now, I see a good skater, responsible defensively. Eager to go to the hard areas, not afraid of hitting. Hard to knock off the puck. I think he'll be a gem.

Here I'll risk the wrath of the Jets faithful. I am more impressed with Lowry than I was with Schiefele when he was here last season.
In a perfect world Mark would exceed expectations and Adam would turn out to be better than Mark

the proverbial win WIN where the first rounder plays up to his pick and our 3rd round pick is the steal of the draft.

Old
04-19-2013, 07:58 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Redmond is expected to start tonight in Hamilton, and once during the 2 game set in Toronto.

Jussi Olkinoura is expected to get the start in goal tonight. The 22 year old Finn was recently signed out of the University of Denver.

I'm pretty sour on Pasquale, and am glad to see there may be other options than 40-50 starts by Eddie next season.

Last edited by IceCapsFanNL: 04-19-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old
04-19-2013, 08:22 AM
DespoticNewt

Agreed. Hopefully Pasquale can rebound from this season. Both he and Dex were pretty mediocre.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
# 45 Mathieu Touissignant

He just was aquired from the Stars organization. Agitator forward. He'll get a look from the Caps in the fall I'd guess.
Seems like a pretty good character guy, kind of goofy even. I remembered him from a radio interview when Dallas first loaned him to St. Johns, he was pretty damn funny.

Just found this online as well...

Old
04-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Redmond playing tonight.

Juho Olkinuora with his first pro start in goal as well.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:02 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Redmond assisted on the caps goal.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Well I guess we can lower our upside hopes for Telegin from 2nd line scoring winger to bottom 6 scoring winger for now.

... and Klingberg from bottom 6 offensive winger to probably no NHL upside.

Before this season, I would have said:

1. Scheifele
2. Trouba
3. Telegin
4. Machacek
5. Redmond
6. Lowry
7. Sutter
8. Yuen
9. Kosmachuk
10. Olsen

now, for me, it's:

1. Scheifele
2. Trouba
3. Lowry
4. Redmond
5. Telegin
6. Yuen
7. Kosmachuk
8. Olsen
9. Sutter

I can't put JST in here. I just don't know enough about him right now.

For the record: I didn't put Postma or Kulda in here because I don't consider them prospects anymore. Just for wonderings. And no goalies because it's just too much of a blind gamble to place them.
Sutter is going to have trouble cracking the top 20 in prospect lists, nevermind at #9, IMO.

Right now our prospect rankings would look like using hockey's future criteria(IMO)...
1. D Jacob Trouba
2. C Mark Scheifele
3. D Paul Postma
4. D Zach Redmond
5. LW Adam Lowry
6. C Eric O'Dell
7. RW Scott Kosmachuk
8. G Connor Hellebuyck
9. D Zachery Yuen
10. G Ed Pasquale
11. C Ryan Olsen
12. D Arturs Kulda
13. C James Wright
14. C Patrice Cormier
15. LW Carl Klingberg
16. G Jason Kasdorf
17. LW Jordan Samuels-Thomas
18. RW Tomas Kubalik
19. C Lukas Sutter
20. D Julien Melchiori

Old
04-19-2013, 09:57 PM
IceCapsFanNL

No way Klingberg and Kubalik are better prospects than Melchiori

Old
04-19-2013, 10:10 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Sutter is going to have trouble cracking the top 20 in prospect lists, nevermind at #9, IMO.

Right now our prospect rankings would look like using hockey's future criteria(IMO)...
1. D Jacob Trouba
2. C Mark Scheifele
3. D Paul Postma
4. D Zach Redmond
5. LW Adam Lowry
6. C Eric O'Dell
7. RW Scott Kosmachuk
8. G Connor Hellebuyck
9. D Zachery Yuen
10. G Ed Pasquale
11. C Ryan Olsen
12. D Arturs Kulda
13. C James Wright
14. C Patrice Cormier
15. LW Carl Klingberg
16. G Jason Kasdorf
18. RW Tomas Kubalik
19. C Lukas Sutter
20. D Julien Melchiori
Lots of TNSE picks climbing fast.

I am a little higher on Melch, lower on Klinger.

Sutter would probably be 20, but it would be mighty close to a toss up between him and Brassard. Sutter takes it because Centres > Wingers.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:22 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:

1. D Jacob Trouba
2. C Mark Scheifele
3. D Paul Postma
4. D Zach Redmond
5. LW Adam Lowry
6. C Eric O'Dell
7. RW Scott Kosmachuk
8. G Connor Hellebuyck
9. D Zachery Yuen
10. G Ed Pasquale
11. C Ryan Olsen
12. D Arturs Kulda
13. C James Wright
14. C Patrice Cormier
15. LW Carl Klingberg
16. G Jason Kasdorf
18. RW Tomas Kubalik
19. C Lukas Sutter
20. D Julien Melchiori
I rarely disagree with you Holden... but putting our AHL rookie of the year lower than a guy who might not even play in the AHL next season.....

Melchiori

Old
04-20-2013, 02:54 AM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
No way Klingberg and Kubalik are better prospects than Melchiori
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Lots of TNSE picks climbing fast.

I am a little higher on Melch, lower on Klinger.

Sutter would probably be 20, but it would be mighty close to a toss up between him and Brassard. Sutter takes it because Centres > Wingers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
I rarely disagree with you Holden... but putting our AHL rookie of the year lower than a guy who might not even play in the AHL next season.....

Melchiori
I guess I may have placed Melchiori a little low

@truck, I don't think it's quite that close between Sutter and Brassard. Sutter for all his faults has more of a twoway and physical game to fall back on, IMO, which makes him still more of a prospect than Brassard, who is pretty much done as a viable NHL prospect, IMO.

@garret, although I agree, I might have put Melchiori a little low and he could easily rank above Sutter, it's a ranking based on readiness and potential, remember Melchiori spent his overage season in junior as well. So saying somebody might not be in AHL versus our AHL rookie of the year (is that saying anything at all, who was his competition, injured struggling Telegin?) is not the argument I would make.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:09 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:

@truck, I don't think it's quite that close between Sutter and Brassard. Sutter for all his faults has more of a twoway and physical game to fall back on, IMO, which makes him still more of a prospect than Brassard, who is pretty much done as a viable NHL prospect, IMO.

@garret, although I agree, I might have put Melchiori a little low and he could easily rank above Sutter, it's a ranking based on readiness and potential, remember Melchiori spent his overage season in junior as well. So saying somebody might not be in AHL versus our AHL rookie of the year (is that saying anything at all, who was his competition, injured struggling Telegin?) is not the argument I would make.
OA season is less of a black mark on a D prospect than a F prospect, at least in my mind. Especially since he was a last cut and had made the team at the start of the season. Melchiori was more that we had a slew of depth defensemen (Redmond, Postma, DeSantis, Festerling, Ramsey, Flood, Negrin, Meech, Kulda, Chiarot) last season rather than for Sutter may be due to not being ready.

IMO Melchiori has more in readiness and potential than Sutter, but it is always tough to determine prospects value in different positions AND different stages in development. TBH I'm still tad higher on Melchiori than Yuen... We'll see I guess.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:09 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

I haven't watched a ton of Brassard, but my understanding is that he has many of the same physical and defensive elements. I believe he played a game or two of defense this year. Then again I have heard questions about his night to night effort. Those aren't good questions for a probable.

The fact that he landed a bigger role on a better team could say something too.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:43 AM
GJF
Beaver Jedi

Just to have said it clearly:

I did not want to say MY list is right, but that would be the list how I see things now compared to what I was thinking before the season.

*edit*

and I forgot Brassard.

and btw... where is Telegin on the list you've posted?

Old
04-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Just to have said it clearly:

I did not want to say MY list is right, but that would be the list how I see things now compared to what I was thinking before the season.

*edit*

and I forgot Brassard.

and btw... where is Telegin on the list you've posted?
IMO Brassard has about one month left of being Jets property (we will not sign him).

And what the hell,I forgot Telegin. Urgh. He'd be in the 7-10 range still, IMO.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:55 AM
GJF
Beaver Jedi

Quote:
IMO Brassard has about one month left of being Jets property (we will not sign him).

And what the hell,I forgot Telegin. Urgh. He'd be in the 7-10 range still, IMO.
1. D Jacob Trouba
2. C Mark Scheifele
3. D Paul Postma
4. D Zach Redmond
5. LW Adam Lowry
6. C Eric O'Dell
7. RW Scott Kosmachuk
8. G Connor Hellebuyck
9. D Zachery Yuen
10. G Ed Pasquale
11. C Ryan Olsen
12. D Arturs Kulda
13. C James Wright
14. C Patrice Cormier
15. LW Carl Klingberg
16. G Jason Kasdorf
18. RW Tomas Kubalik
19. C Lukas Sutter
20. D Julien Melchiori

and mine

1. Scheifele
2. Trouba
3. Lowry
4. Redmond
5. O'Dell
6. Telegin
7. Yuen
8. Melchiori
9. Kosmachuk
10. Olsen
11. Brassard
12. Sutter

(without goalies and players that I don't consider prospects anymore)

Well after all, our lists aren't that much different. Except Kosmachuk and Olsen.

Old
04-20-2013, 10:02 AM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
How did Olkinuora look yesterday?