HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2012, 04:00 AM
Osminator

vCash: 50

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL)

Old
12-19-2012, 10:44 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500

Continue

Old
12-19-2012, 01:57 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Jim Schoenfeld discussing Chris Kreider and JT Miller

http://blueshirtsunited.com/videos/2...s#.UNIbCRxnA3V

Old
12-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Osminator

"@JimCerny: Also @dylan_mcilrath taking part in full practice, though Jim Schoenfeld told me yesterday Mac is still weeks away from playing"
---------
If this "in a few weeks" talk is repeated every few weeks, we won't see McI until April... What the hell did he really do to his knee???

Old
12-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
"@JimCerny: Also @dylan_mcilrath taking part in full practice, though Jim Schoenfeld told me yesterday Mac is still weeks away from playing"
---------
If this "in a few weeks" talk is repeated every few weeks, we won't see McI until April... What the hell did he really do to his knee???
Clearly, you've never had knee problems. Come back too soon and you run the risk of creating more problems--that's true whether you're a professional athlete or a 50something average person. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old
12-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Clearly, you've never had knee problems. Come back too soon and you run the risk of creating more problems--that's true whether you're a professional athlete or a 50something average person. Better to be safe than sorry.
Since i have no more or next to no cartilidge in either knee, tearing the ACL and MCL in my right knee (ACL only in the left), had a double meniscus tear (not sure if there is an english term for this), and hyperextended the ligaments on the back side of my right knee, i've been doing well, cheers

I know coming back to early is the stupidest thing to do... Its just they kept saying "in a few weeks" forever now, maybe he's having setbacks or something. Burning to see him play.

Edit: cant sneak up on anyone in a relative quite area, plenty of cracking sounds from knees and ankles looool, ive gotten used to it, but it still freaks out strangers hahaha

Old
12-19-2012, 07:41 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Since i have no more or next to no cartilidge in either knee, tearing the ACL and MCL in my right knee (ACL only in the left), had a double meniscus tear (not sure if there is an english term for this), and hyperextended the ligaments on the back side of my right knee, i've been doing well, cheers

I know coming back to early is the stupidest thing to do... Its just they kept saying "in a few weeks" forever now, maybe he's having setbacks or something. Burning to see him play.

Edit: cant sneak up on anyone in a relative quite area, plenty of cracking sounds from knees and ankles looool, ive gotten used to it, but it still freaks out strangers hahaha
Glad you're still walking--but seriously, I haven't seen any timetable for McIlrath's return, even when it was announced that he was cleared to skate. And it's probably better that way--keeps the player working hard at getting back to the point where he's ready to play. McIlrath will be ready when he's ready.

Old
12-20-2012, 01:15 AM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Glad you're still walking--but seriously, I haven't seen any timetable for McIlrath's return, even when it was announced that he was cleared to skate. And it's probably better that way--keeps the player working hard at getting back to thue point where he's ready to play. McIlrath will be ready when he's ready.
thanks. Just very unlucky with injuries, but guess what.. im still playing (only for fun these days though).

Old
12-20-2012, 02:37 AM
ColonialsHockey10

I said in August he had a setback.

Old
12-20-2012, 06:38 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I said in August he had a setback.
Correct.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:03 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'm far from an expert on knee injuries, but I do know that my coworker is going through something similar to McIlrath. He had a dislocated kneecap, which just looked gruesome. The x-rays were horrifying. He has had it drained a couple times and received a few cortisone shots, and just had an arthroscopic procedure done yesterday. He's going to have to go back in for at least two more procedures--a patella realignment (where evidently they cut and move some bones) and then a patella (or patella tendon?) replacement. We have tremendous health insurance and can go pretty much anywhere we want, and he's working with extremely accomplished doctors. And still, there's a ton that goes into it and no quick fix. Setbacks are common.

I have no idea how Dylan's injury compares to this, but I imagine the organization wants to take it extremely slow with him and ensure that his knee is completely healed and recovered. If he pushes it too hard, he could have a lifetime of struggles with the knee and really ruin his career. I really wouldn't mind if he took the next couple months off and tried to come back late in the season. Getting games is critical for his development, but not at the expense of his knee.

It's just pain.
Old
12-20-2012, 07:27 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

My problem is, as far as I remember, the organization downplayed the severity of the injury. If he misses the majority of the year because his knee was that screwed up, who knows how he'll be able to rebound.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Vitto79

atleast McIlrath is practicing even though a few weeks away. No rush as the kid should have a bright future once he gets going and is 100%

Old
12-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
atleast McIlrath is practicing even though a few weeks away. No rush as the kid should have a bright future once he gets going and is 100%
Define bright future?

I dunno. I've never been as high on McIlrath as many ppl here have been. I think, at best, he'll end up being a 3rd pairing defenseman who provides grit. Horrendous value for the #10 pick or whatever he was selected at.

Thats just my 2 cents.

Old
12-20-2012, 01:53 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Define bright future?

I dunno. I've never been as high on McIlrath as many ppl here have been. I think, at best, he'll end up being a 3rd pairing defenseman who provides grit. Horrendous value for the #10 pick or whatever he was selected at.

Thats just my 2 cents.
I agree somewhat. I think he maxes out as a second pairing guy if all goes well. McIlrath fills a big need in this organization though. I hated the pick when it was made, but I've come around. It will be great to have McIlrath on the blueline throwing his weight around one day.

Crosby trying to go coast-to-coast with McIlrath on the ice? Better keep your head up

Old
12-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Define bright future?

Thats just my 2 cents.

That's the worst case scenario. Given his size and skating ability, he'll be in the NHL. If Matt Carkner and Jay More can play in the NHL, surely McIlrath will too.

The kid will most likely be a second-paring blueliner, with a very legitimate chance that he'll be very bit as good as Jeff Beukeboom. That would be excellent value for the #10 pick.

I know everyone expects superstars at #10, but that just doesn't happen. What happens is that people pump up their prospects when they are drafted, then they remember the few who made it and forget the many who failed.

Getting another Jeff Beukeboom at #10 is excellent value.

Here's a list of players drafted at #10 from 1990 to 2007 (Those who were drafted in the last 4 years are too early to judge. They may be late bloomers or someone who shows quick flashes of brilliance and then fade away. See: Goneau, Daniel.)

1990: Drake Berehowsky - crappy NHL defenseman, McIlrath's worst case

1991: Martin Lapointe - third liner

1992: Andrei Nazarov - fourth liner

1993: Jocelyn Thibault - low-end starting goalie

1994: Nolan Baumgartner - career AHLer with one full NHL season

1995: Radek Dvorak - second/third liner

1996: Lance Ward - garbage NHLer who barely cracked the team

1997: Brad Ference - garbage NHLer

1998: Nikolai Antropov - second liner

1999: Branislav Mezei - garbage NHLer

2000: Mikhail Yakubov - total garbage. Couldn't make the NHL, and not that good in the KHL either.

2001: Dan Blackburn - showed potential, but got injured very early in his career.

2002: Eric Nystrom - garbage

2003: Andrei Kostitsyn - second liner

2004: Boris Valabik - minor leaguer

2005: Luc Bourdon - died in an accident very young

2006: Michael Frolik - third liner

2007: Keaton Ellerby - garbage

Of these 18 players drafted at #10, only Andrei Kostitsyn, Nikolai Antropov and Radek Dvorak are worth anything. Two players couldn't play due to death or injury. The other 13 players are downright garbage. Either they made the NHL as crappy players or they are minor leaguers.

If McIlrath becomes a half-way decent blueliner, that's better than most #10 picks.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Osminator

With no other callups from ECHL Greenville, guess that means Tommy Grant is back in the lineup. Awesome.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Define bright future?

Thats just my 2 cents.
I wanted Tarasenko at the time. In retrospect, Gormley may have been the best pick at that spot. With that said...

I know it's hard, but you have to try to look at the guy as a Ranger prospect - not a 10th overall pick with all the coulda, shoulda, woulda's... You have to see him as a guy who has a chance to be a solid defensemen. His game could potentially be very valuable - especially in this division.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I wanted Tarasenko at the time. In retrospect, Gormley may have been the best pick at that spot. With that said...

I know it's hard, but you have to try to look at the guy as a Ranger prospect - not a 10th overall pick with all the coulda, shoulda, woulda's... You have to see him as a guy who has a chance to be a solid defensemen. His game could potentially be very valuable - especially in this division.

The idea that the Rangers should draft the guy who turns out the best player in every draft is preposterous. Imagine if your boss held you to this standard: any time anyone anywhere succeeds more than you do, that's it, you are a failure!

So long as the Rangers keep drafting significantly better than the average team, we'll be ok.

We don't need to draft the best player in every round - if our guy consistently turns out to be one of the top 3-4 best players available at that point, it will make us permanent Cup contenders.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:31 PM
NYR Viper

A player with his size, strength and speed are difficult to find. You don't see that combination very often anymore because the bigger guys have problems keeping up. McIlrath won't have that problem (barring any major knee issues). He is a difference-maker whenever he is on the ice.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
The idea that the Rangers should draft the guy who turns out the best player in every draft is preposterous. Imagine if your boss held you to this standard: any time anyone anywhere succeeds more than you do, that's it, you are a failure!

So long as the Rangers keep drafting significantly better than the average team, we'll be ok.

We don't need to draft the best player in every round - if our guy consistently turns out to be one of the top 3-4 best players available at that point, it will make us permanent Cup contenders.
How in God's name did you get that out of my post?

I was merely making the point that we shouldn't hold the players drafted around him against him if they turn out to be better. I was throwing out the concept of viewing him as a promising Ranger prospect rather than 'a 10th overall pick who should be a star.'

Old
12-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
2002: Eric Nystrom - garbage
Funny you mentioned him, he signed as a lock out player for my Norwegian team Stavanger Oilers. 2nd game tonight, scored 4 and got 3 assists in a 9-3 win against the (former) leauge leader. Is 4 + 4 in 2 games played haha.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

It's funny how everyone remembers the one time when they called for the drafting of someone who panned out, but nobody remembers this whole forum yelling to draft Kirill Petrov or Jared Staal in the second round, and being upset when we took Stepan instead.

Let's not whine every time our team doesn't take the player who turns out to be the best one. Despite the fact that our average draft position in the first round was 16.7, we did extremely well. Our picks and undrafted signees can fill a whole NHL squad.

If we had the same average as other teams, we would've drafted only 7 NHLers between 2004 and 2009. Instead, we drafted 13 NHLers, with a couple others still having a shot to make it.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Funny you mentioned him, he signed as a lock out player for my Norwegian team Stavanger Oilers. 2nd game tonight, scored 4 and got 3 assists in a 9-3 win against the (former) leauge leader. Is 4 + 4 in 2 games played haha.

No offense, Norway is a great place, but your hockey league is hardly top of the line.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
No offense, Norway is a great place, but your hockey league is hardly top of the line.
Haha, yeah not what i meant. Was just funny that his name came up tonight

One day though.... WJC next year, watch out

Closed Thread