HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official-2013 World Juniors Thread - STARTS TODAY!

View Poll Results: Who's taking home gold
Canada 101 64.33%
USA 8 5.10%
Russia 22 14.01%
Finland 7 4.46%
Sweden 5 3.18%
Germany 1 0.64%
Switzerland 0 0%
Slovakia 1 0.64%
Czech Republic 0 0%
Latvia 12 7.64%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2012, 11:51 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
Ask the actual US team fans which actually watched both games completely and they'd tell you that he was by far the most talented player in both exhibition matches but more so the first game.

Saying that he was the worst is simply not being realistic at all at this point.
I watched both exhibition games and can tell you that is a flat out fabrication.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:56 AM
harpoon
FOB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Bad teams are bad because they do the little things poorly
Yeah we all know even the best teams mess up the odd line change, but the Germans cost themselves two goals tonight on bad changes alone - one of them resulting in a virtual two on none. And it wasn't just line changes. They also cost themselves two goals because the puck handler just fell over and gave it up. The number of turnovers was disgraceful. Then add in the porous play of the defenders, the marginal goaltending and the peewee passing and really, why even turn up. I honestly think the performance they put on tonight was one of the worst games I have ever seen from a national squad ever.

Quote:
If the German's are capable of producing a player like Draisaitl, they must be doing something right.
Yeah like having babies. Seriously for a country with the climate, population, sporting tradition and wealth of Germany to be this poor at ice hockey is inexcusable. Unless they just don't care .... in which case I ask again, why turn up at all?

Old
12-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I watched both exhibition games and can tell you that is a flat out fabrication.
I did too

and no...

Old
12-27-2012, 12:23 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
In the game that i saw him play against Sweden in the exhibition round, he was easily the most talented player on the ice. I can see why so many people are high on him and why some would pick him over Yakupov.

Old
12-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Canadians do play dirty.. But more than anything they are bullies. I have zero issue with what Yakupov has to say at all. And you know the kid likes to just stir the pot anyways. It's refreshing there are still young players out there who can speak their mind and not be so obtuse all the time. That being said, I hope our boys crush them, cleanly .
I agree, however Nail needs to stop worrying about Canada before they even play them and play a lot better than he did yesterday. I only watched bits of the 2nd and all of the 3rd and he sure didn't play all that well to say the least.

12-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

BTW-when is Canada's next game and what time is it in terms of MDT?

Old
12-27-2012, 12:51 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
BTW-when is Canada's next game and what time is it in terms of MDT?
Tonight at 2:30 AM MST

12-27-2012, 12:59 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
I did too

and no...
Oh look, its a Hab's fan coming to the Oiler board to troll about Galchenyuk.

Big surprise there.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:11 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Yeah like having babies. Seriously for a country with the climate, population, sporting tradition and wealth of Germany to be this poor at ice hockey is inexcusable. Unless they just don't care .... in which case I ask again, why turn up at all?
Blame football(soccer).

They're a football crazy country. The average attendance at a German Football league(the Bundesliga) game is 45,000. That's the second highest average attendance of any major professional league in the world.

It's unfortunate they were relegated two years ago. They had one of their strongest teams in recent memory last year, but were stuck playing in Division 1A.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:30 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
It's funny to watch Leaf fans get ******** about Rielly's lack of ice-time...

Old
12-27-2012, 02:36 PM
scott99

Hello Oiler's fans, big time Islander's fan here, and I posted this on the Isle's Prospect Thread:

Off topic kinda, but watching RNH out there, is it me, or did he improve his speed ? He always was very shifty in his skating, had great escapability, and great lateral movement, but I'll be damned if he just seems faster than last season. Great bursts of speed from a standstill also. I think this kid has greatness written all over him. Him and Huberdeau together are very exciting to watch, doesn't matter whom the 3rd winger is (I believe Shiefele). Strome and Drouin give the Canadians something very similar on the second line. I'd love to see a line of Strome-RNH-Huberdeau on the power play, wow !

Now, one of the Isle's fans responded by saying maybe it's the bigger ice surface in Europe, giving him more time to maneuver and react. What do you guys think ? BTW, I'm very jealous of the stockpile of stud prospects you guys have, RNH and Yakupov are two of my favorite prospects to watch, so talented, gifted and explosive.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Zeroknowledge*

Quote:
Oh look, its a Hab's fan coming to the Oiler board to troll about Galchenyuk.

Big surprise there.
After the Habs board, the Oilers and Leafs board are the only ones I check on a regular basis.

Old
12-27-2012, 02:58 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Hello Oiler's fans, big time Islander's fan here, and I posted this on the Isle's Prospect Thread:

Off topic kinda, but watching RNH out there, is it me, or did he improve his speed ? He always was very shifty in his skating, had great escapability, and great lateral movement, but I'll be damned if he just seems faster than last season. Great bursts of speed from a standstill also. I think this kid has greatness written all over him. Him and Huberdeau together are very exciting to watch, doesn't matter whom the 3rd winger is (I believe Shiefele). Strome and Drouin give the Canadians something very similar on the second line. I'd love to see a line of Strome-RNH-Huberdeau on the power play, wow !

Now, one of the Isle's fans responded by saying maybe it's the bigger ice surface in Europe, giving him more time to maneuver and react. What do you guys think ? BTW, I'm very jealous of the stockpile of stud prospects you guys have, RNH and Yakupov are two of my favorite prospects to watch, so talented, gifted and explosive.
His speed is getting a lot better, but the big ice is almost unfair to the other team when he's on the ice. He's got the best ice vision for someone his age probably in the world and he gets into position in such a sneaky little way. I also think playing against lesser competition is allowing him to try out some things he normally wouldn't. He almost looked bored out there against the Germans and was still amazing.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:02 PM
40oz

Quote:

It may also be that we're used to seeing him play against pros and his competition now are typically slower skaters.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:08 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Will be fun to watch Yaks and Gally go head to head tomorrow morning. I really don't think we will ever regret taking yaks ahead of gally, but the blue jackets could really regret taking Murray ahead of him.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
Tonight at 2:30 AM MST
Good stuff, looks like another long night for me then! 11:30 PM start here so I shouldn't be complaining since it's a lot later in Western Canada. Although a 5:30 AM start time on the east coast is better than either. Who are they playing?

Quote:

RNH has very deceptive speed, he isn't a speed demon like Hall is for example but his skating is phenomenal. In the pro game he doesn't use bursts of speed as much as he did against Germany, but every now and then when it was required to make a play he'd turn on the jets and blow by guys. The kid is a very special talent and will be among the best players in the world IMO.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:37 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
His speed is getting a lot better, but the big ice is almost unfair to the other team when he's on the ice. He's got the best ice vision for someone his age probably in the world and he gets into position in such a sneaky little way. I also think playing against lesser competition is allowing him to try out some things he normally wouldn't. He almost looked bored out there against the Germans and was still amazing.
He's amazing to watch. I think having played in the AHL helped his game as well. I'm looking forward to see his next game, against Yakupov I believe.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
He's amazing to watch. I think having played in the AHL helped his game as well. I'm looking forward to see his next game, against Yakupov I believe.
The only things that the AHL would've helped are his faceoffs, defensive positioning, being able to deal with tight checking and being played tough.

Old
12-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:

First thing we heard about RNH after he was drafted, was the Oiler's skating coach describing his skating mechanics as elite.

His overall speed was bound to increase given he has been working hard to improve the boy'ish build he had in his draft year to that of a professional athlete.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:07 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokeOnOil View Post
Just saw this beauty of a post on the main board about The Nuge:

"He's not that much better than Huberdeau. His 5 points is because he gives to people that finishes.."

Oh for real? That's not what a good playmaker does then? My mistake.
That's a pretty weak argument for sure, but I honestly didn't think there was too much separating Huberdeau and Nuge in that game aside from the numbers on the scoreboard. I felt that Huberdeau was every bit as impressive as RNH even as an Oiler fan.

I still think Nuge is better now, and that he'll probably be better in the long term, but Huberdeau seems like one of those guys who just has instant chemistry with whoever he's on the ice with. He and Nuge together though is a beautiful thing. There was a noticeable drop-off between the two of them and the Scheifele on that line.

12-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
That's a pretty weak argument for sure, but I honestly didn't think there was too much separating Huberdeau and Nuge in that game aside from the numbers on the scoreboard. I felt that Huberdeau was every bit as impressive as RNH even as an Oiler fan.

I still think Nuge is better now, and that he'll probably be better in the long term, but Huberdeau seems like one of those guys who just has instant chemistry with whoever he's on the ice with. He and Nuge together though is a beautiful thing. There was a noticeable drop-off between the two of them and the Scheifele on that line.
I completely disagree, I thought that RNH was head and shoulders better. On that goal that RNH scored it was RNH's heading to an open spot that gave Huberdeau a huge passing lane to get the puck to him. Huberdeau IMO was the 4th best forward on his team that night.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:22 PM
misfit

No question it was a heady play by Nuge on that goal, but I don't see the point in trying to downplay Huberdeau on that play (also, "huge passing lane"?). It was still a nice pass and he was excellent overall. A guy could just as easily point out that RNH got his first point because a puck bounced off his skate which he wasn't able to get control of before Riely picked it up and passed it off. There was only one assist given on that play and it went to the wrong player. His 2nd assist was even worse. It was a missed shot that bounced out in front and onto Scheifele's stick. Both goals were kind of flukes and the only reason RNH and Huberdeau didn't end up with the same point totals.

Nuge was the better player, but I can't imagine which other 2 forwards you thought was better than Huberdeau against Germany. I definitely felt he was a close second to RNH.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:42 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Ask the actual US team fans which actually watched both games completely and they'd tell you that he was by far the most talented player in both exhibition matches but more so the first game.

Saying that he was the worst is simply not being realistic at all at this point.
I watched every minute of those games. He was terrible

Old
12-27-2012, 06:48 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Good stuff, looks like another long night for me then! 11:30 PM start here so I shouldn't be complaining since it's a lot later in Western Canada. Although a 5:30 AM start time on the east coast is better than either. Who are they playing?

RNH has very deceptive speed, he isn't a speed demon like Hall is for example but his skating is phenomenal. In the pro game he doesn't use bursts of speed as much as he did against Germany, but every now and then when it was required to make a play he'd turn on the jets and blow by guys. The kid is a very special talent and will be among the best players in the world IMO.
Was gonna type this but BBO did it. RNH is fast, probably a lot faster to the players on the ice that even how we see him on TV. To Nuge himself though, he might be slow or just average but I think that elite hockey minds think like that-they see the game as super slow mo and as a result, they can pick apart the opposition. Hall was always about speed and brute force. Eberle is similar to Nuge, hence, his success.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:29 AM
#ualberta

Slovakia gave Russia a lot of trouble, they are a stingy team
Hopefully Canada can generate some offense early and force the Slovaks to play more aggressive

Closed Thread