HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official-2013 World Juniors Thread - STARTS TODAY!

View Poll Results: Who's taking home gold
Canada 101 64.33%
USA 8 5.10%
Russia 22 14.01%
Finland 7 4.46%
Sweden 5 3.18%
Germany 1 0.64%
Switzerland 0 0%
Slovakia 1 0.64%
Czech Republic 0 0%
Latvia 12 7.64%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-28-2012, 10:14 AM
  #451
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
This is what I meant in my post above. Those passes had no effort involved. Make a smart play and Yak has a break there easily.
You guys have to stop blaming others for Yakupov's underwhelming play. Sure, there is a disconnect between he and his teammates but he is a part of the problem, he has been awful and should be held accountable especially with him being the captain.

CupofOil is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:18 AM
  #452
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,641
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Yeah, the commentators are certainly diligent in their criticism of Yakupov tonight.
Unfortunately he's deserved most of the criticism.
He is looking very selfish out there ... precisely the opposite of the sort of player who should be wearing the C.
I don't know what you want the kid to do. He's a shooter and Russia hasn't established a cycle and they don't pass the puck on the rush.

He's done a good job of gaining the US zone and aside from missing that chip out along the boards he hasn't been a problem defensively either.

worraps is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:19 AM
  #453
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра
 
Comrade Blunderbore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: КПЗ
Country: New Zealand-Maori
Posts: 1,710
vCash: 50
Yak with a face-first blocking dive!

Comrade Blunderbore is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:20 AM
  #454
Hynh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,270
vCash: 500
Yak with the block on the PP. He wants to win, he just needs to be pointed in the right direction.

Hynh is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:20 AM
  #455
scid14
Registered User
 
scid14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,428
vCash: 50
God yak has no defensive ability Out there on the pk with a minute left blocking shots

scid14 is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:20 AM
  #456
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,641
vCash: 50
As I post that he shows a lot of courage blocking a shot. Exactly what I'd expect a captain to do.

worraps is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:21 AM
  #457
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
I don't know what you want the kid to do. He's a shooter and Russia hasn't established a cycle and they don't pass the puck on the rush.
Well we can see that Yakupov sure doesn't pass the puck unless he has to.

Quote:
He's done a good job of gaining the US zone and aside from missing that chip out along the boards he hasn't been a problem defensively either.
Ten minutes ago he got caught cheating twice on the same shift resulting in more US zone pressure.

He's been poor. And I don't even care so much about the lack of points as much as I do the selfish attitude and the inability to control his frustration when things aren't going his way.

harpoon is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:21 AM
  #458
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Ballsy block by Yakupov at the end of the game there, somewhat redeemed himself. Puck was a grenade on his stick all night.

SephF is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:23 AM
  #459
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,429
vCash: 500
It's all good. Zharkov and Yakupov can just anchor our penalty kill.

DousedInOil is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:25 AM
  #460
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Well we can see that Yakupov sure doesn't pass the puck unless he has to.

Ten minutes ago he got caught cheating twice on the same shift resulting in more US zone pressure.

He's been poor. And I don't even care so much about the lack of points as much as I do the selfish attitude and the inability to control his frustration when things aren't going his way.
He cheated once when he tried to chip the puck around the guy, but then twice after his d-men blew their outlets despite having full possession.

syz is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:29 AM
  #461
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,641
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Well we can see that Yakupov sure doesn't pass the puck unless he has to.

Ten minutes ago he got caught cheating twice on the same shift resulting in more US zone pressure.

He's been poor. And I don't even care so much about the lack of points as much as I do the selfish attitude and the inability to control his frustration when things aren't going his way.
Question: How many legs does a sheep have if you call its tail a leg?

Answer: 4. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it so.

Just because Ray Ferraro accuses Yakupov of cheating doesn't mean he was. His team took possession of the puck and he exited the zone. In hockey parlance it's called a break out. It's not his fault that the defensemen proceeded to give the puck away.

worraps is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:29 AM
  #462
scid14
Registered User
 
scid14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,428
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Well we can see that Yakupov sure doesn't pass the puck unless he has to.

Ten minutes ago he got caught cheating twice on the same shift resulting in more US zone pressure.

He's been poor. And I don't even care so much about the lack of points as much as I do the selfish attitude and the inability to control his frustration when things aren't going his way.
Firstly no..Yak only wants to win. He is a sniper and will take charge if he feels he has to. Maybe he needs some direction in that aspect but selfish is the last word I would use to describe him. Putting himself in the way of that shot at the end was so selfish of him

Second, that "cheating" is one part of yaks game that everyone likes. Its not cheating he is reading the play and trying to get himself in position to get a breakout pass and would have too if not for a lackluster effort from his teammates there.

Innability to control his frustration? We need that passion and someone who will hold the players accountable. You can swing that both ways. Stop being such a downer.

His playmaking ability is severly underrated here on hf. No goals and nine assists last tourney and no goals and two assists so far in this one. We have seen time and time again him doing whatever it takes for his team to win. He Is still putting up points while being more responsible defensively than he has in the past which is a good thing.

scid14 is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:35 AM
  #463
Qrispy
Registered User
 
Qrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,248
vCash: 500
Apparently, no one knows how to pass on the Russian team, so there's no point in singling out Yak. It's always one guy trying to do something alone. That's the Russian system. I don't like it but whatever. Yakupov will be fine once he puts on the Oil jersey.

Qrispy is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:35 AM
  #464
worraps
Acceptance
 
worraps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,641
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
You guys have to stop blaming others for Yakupov's underwhelming play. Sure, there is a disconnect between he and his teammates but he is a part of the problem, he has been awful and should be held accountable especially with him being the captain.
What's been awful about his game?

He's been in on half of Russia's regulation goals.

Aside from a couple plays, he hasn't been a defensive liability.

The Russian "system" has degenerated into a series of one on one plays. Every forward tries to play like Ovechkin and Malkin without a fraction of their talent. It's actually sad to see the country that invented the cycle be reduced to this.

Ironically Yakupov is having trouble generating offense because he plays a less selfish more Canadian style.

worraps is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:46 AM
  #465
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
Firstly no..Yak only wants to win. He is a sniper and will take charge if he feels he has to. Maybe he needs some direction in that aspect but selfish is the last word I would use to describe him.
Then perhaps you don't understand what the word means. Yakupov was banging his stick on the ice and/or yelling for the pass all night. He even did so when he was in no position to make anything happen. That's selfish. I also noted more than five instances where he should have passed off to a team mate yet he held onto the puck himself and either lost it or put a poor shot toward goal. As to the bolded - he was trying his best to "take charge" all night, and getting nothing accomplished.

Quote:
Putting himself in the way of that shot at the end was so selfish of him
Yeah, great play. His second attempted suicide block of the night. Sorry I didn't stay up all night to watch Yak block shots.

Quote:
Second, that "cheating" is one part of yaks game that everyone likes. Its not cheating he is reading the play and trying to get himself in position to get a breakout pass
Everyone likes it? Doubt his coaches like it. And **** like that comes back to bite you real quick in the NHL.

Quote:
and would have too if not for a lackluster effort from his teammates there.
Yes, poor Nail. Surrounded by chumps.

Quote:
Innability to control his frustration? We need that passion and someone who will hold the players accountable. You can swing that both ways. Stop being such a downer.
I saw him berating team mates on the bench - which would be fine if he was putting in a stellar performance. But given that his own game sucked maybe he should have been more focused on that. I saw him trying to do too much all by himself, all night long. We don't need that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Question: How many legs does a sheep have if you call its tail a leg?

Answer: 4. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it so.
Wow excellent analogy.

Quote:
Just because Ray Ferraro accuses Yakupov of cheating doesn't mean he was.
No need to take Ferraro's word for it because I was watching the game myself. Yakupov is a cherry picker.
I saw numerous examples tonight and in the game against the Slovaks.

Quote:
His team took possession of the puck and he exited the zone. In hockey parlance it's called a break out. It's not his fault that the defensemen proceeded to give the puck away.
See above. Poor Yak ... surrounded by chumps.

harpoon is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:47 AM
  #466
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
Whats scary is Russia just beat a very good team with Yakupov playing almost totally out of sync.

If Mother Russia gets their Captain going...look out.

Everest is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:51 AM
  #467
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
Russia gets Germany tommorow. Thats the opponent that everyone in this pool kinda' feeds off in order to gain confidence.

Everest is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:55 AM
  #468
scid14
Registered User
 
scid14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,428
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Whats scary is Russia just beat a very good team with Yakupov playing almost totally out of sync.

If Mother Russia gets their Captain going...look out.
He definitely hasn't been at the top of his game so yeah if he gets rolling with his line it is going to be scary

@harpoon - You call him selfish and then don't think him putting himself in the way of a puck in the final minutes is a good play?

Yak is a great teammate and the furthest thing from selfish if you can't see that then I can't take anything else you have to say about him seriously.

scid14 is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:55 AM
  #469
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Ballsy block by Yakupov at the end of the game there, somewhat redeemed himself. Puck was a grenade on his stick all night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
It's all good. Zharkov and Yakupov can just anchor our penalty kill.
hopefully Yak wont be killing penalties OR blocking shots for EDM..
The guy needs serious blocking lessons.. It was the 2nd time he almost got himself killed blocking a shot this game..

He'll be fine once he picks up the skill from fellow Oilers but til then no PK for him.

Zharkov could become a good 3rd liner in the mold of V.Stalberg of CHI...

Petro Points is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:57 AM
  #470
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Whats scary is Russia just beat a very good team with Yakupov playing almost totally out of sync.

If Mother Russia gets their Captain going...look out.
Yakupov has been this way for a while though... The Russians beat CHLers earlier in the year the same way... ie Yakupov being a non factor.

At least hes got 2 points in 2 games so far this tourney

Petro Points is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:58 AM
  #471
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
hopefully Yak wont be killing penalties OR blocking shots for EDM..
The guy needs serious blocking lessons.. It was the 2nd time he almost got himself killed blocking a shot this game..

He'll be fine once he picks up the skill from fellow Oilers but til then no PK for him.

Zharkov could become a good 3rd liner in the mold of V.Stalberg of CHI...
His skating doesn't look anywhere near good enough to play in the NHL anytime soon.

Everest is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:59 AM
  #472
Baronsfan
Registered User
 
Baronsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Whats scary is Russia just beat a very good team with Yakupov playing almost totally out of sync.

If Mother Russia gets their Captain going...look out.
Not like USA played that great either. It was a good game, Russia really took it to us in the 3rd. Can't wait to see both play Canada now.

On all the Yak talk, it did get rather discouraging to see him calling for the puck every shift , then going to the bench and blasting teammates for not getting him the puck. I felt like I was watching someone play NHL 13 Be A Pro that stick taps the entire game calling for the puck.

Baronsfan is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:59 AM
  #473
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
What's been awful about his game?

He's been in on half of Russia's regulation goals.

Aside from a couple plays, he hasn't been a defensive liability.

The Russian "system" has degenerated into a series of one on one plays. Every forward tries to play like Ovechkin and Malkin without a fraction of their talent. It's actually sad to see the country that invented the cycle be reduced to this.

Ironically Yakupov is having trouble generating offense because he plays a less selfish more Canadian style.
If Yakupov wasn't an Oiler. Say, if he was a Leaf or a Flame, there would be so much talk around here about how he has been so underwhelming and isn't living up to the hype but because he's an Oiler, it seems that a lot of you guys refuse to see that he is struggling out there. It's always the coaches fault or his linemates, it's never Yakupov's fault.
He hasn't been able to handle the puck at all, he's trying way too hard to skate through multiple defenders when he should be making the simple play, he's getting knocked off the puck way too easily, he cheats on defense an awful lot and he has been pouty on the bench when he should be pumping up his teammates.

Look, i've been a fan of Yakupov's from Day 1 and i still have no regrets about the Oilers picking him but i'm just calling a spade a spade. He has been subpar. I know that he blocked a shot on the PK and that's nice and all but it doesn't make up for the fact that he is clearly fighting it out there. I think a lot of it is due to him not dealing well with the pressure of being the captain. Hopefully, he picks up his game as the tournament progresses.

CupofOil is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 10:59 AM
  #474
scid14
Registered User
 
scid14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,428
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
His skating doesn't look anywhere near good enough to play in the NHL anytime soon.
That's what I mentioned earlier too. Definitely needs to improve there.

scid14 is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 11:03 AM
  #475
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
His skating doesn't look anywhere near good enough to play in the NHL anytime soon.
really? he looked pretty fast to me.. but then again I never had issues with Hartikainen's speed either

Are you saying Penner\Smyth slow?

Petro Points is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.