HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official-2013 World Juniors Thread - STARTS TODAY!

View Poll Results: Who's taking home gold
Canada 101 64.33%
USA 8 5.10%
Russia 22 14.01%
Finland 7 4.46%
Sweden 5 3.18%
Germany 1 0.64%
Switzerland 0 0%
Slovakia 1 0.64%
Czech Republic 0 0%
Latvia 12 7.64%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2012, 12:42 PM
frag2

vCash: 500
Watching the replay, Murphy is by far THE worst defender on the Canadian squad. He's like Plante/Teubert for OKC in the AHL, always a "wtf do I do with the puck?" kind. If it weren't for the fact that Spott is is CHL coach, he wouldn't even get a second look

Old
12-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Kshahdoo

Yakupov is good enough to play on the 1st line of a KHL play-off team, but bad for U20 team? Well, it sounds strange.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:52 PM
scid14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
Yakupov is good enough to play on the 1st line of a KHL play-off team, but bad for U20 team? Well, it sounds strange.
Players are rated on a game by game basis it seems like...it is really as silly as it sounds haha

Old
12-28-2012, 12:55 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
Players are rated on a game by game basis it seems like...it is really as silly as it sounds haha
Other than the block, which everyone seems to hold in high regard, he was pretty invisible. In fact, visible for making mistakes.

Not his best game.

Time to trade him? God no.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Kayen
Yakityyakyakyak

Murphy is useless outside of the power play..

No he's worse than useless.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:58 PM
scid14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Other than the block, which everyone seems to hold in high regard, he was pretty invisible. In fact, visible for making mistakes.

Not his best game.

Oh I totally agree with you.

However just a little while ago he was tearing up the khl against men and people were giddy. Then he goes to a new team with a completely different system and struggles a bit to get chemistry and suddenly people are worried about him? This is not a cause for panic.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:01 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
That's because it's wrong.

He is being poorly utilized in an idiotic system. Unless Makarov stands on his head or Subban craps the bed, Canada is going to thump Russia on New Year's Eve and Russia's talent isn't much worse.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
FTR, i never said that he sucked, i said that he was underwhelming.
I expect him to be better regardless of the system that the Russian coach implemented.
Yakupov needs to learn how to play better when the game isn't wide open or he will never reach his potential in the NHL which has become a tight checking league.
I think everyone agrees that he should be better. I'll bet he agrees as well. But his game is not suited to this Russian team's style of play. This is not the attacking puck control teams we were use to many years ago. They play a lot more like Phoenix. Defense first, rely on your goalie and hope that you can get the other team to make a mistake or two. One man rushes are their method of attack. But unlike Phoenix they are not a particularly good cycle team so they don't even really put that much pressure on when the do gain the zone.

This is not intended as an excuse in the sense that it does show his game has some holes. But it can explain a fair bit of why I believe you can't read too much into this. Let's wait and see how he does playing with a kid like RNH rather than Alexander Khokhlachyov, who he has had 0 chemistry with.

While I understand that most people have not seen a lot of Yakupov, I must say it surprises me to hear all the "selfish player stuff". I watched him a lot in Sarnia the year before his draft year. We know he is a very under rated passer, but what I took away from watching him was that he was as likely to celebrate a team mates goal as he was one of his own.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:10 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Watching the replay, Murphy is by far THE worst defender on the Canadian squad. He's like Plante/Teubert for OKC in the AHL, always a "wtf do I do with the puck?" kind. If it weren't for the fact that Spott is is CHL coach, he wouldn't even get a second look
Agreed. I've never understood what people saw in him. To me, he seems like a poor mans Marc-Andre Bergeron

Old
12-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Agreed. I've never understood what people saw in him. To me, he seems like a poor mans Marc-Andre Bergeron
Murphy has not been able to put it together this year. But if you watched Kitchener in the playoffs last year you would have seen the version that is capable of being a dominat player. He played solid defense, was incredible offensively and was on the ice for 30+ minutes a game.

This version seems to not have a clue what to do with the puck.

Old
12-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
If Canada fails at this WJC, it'll be on Spott. Lipon and Murphy were horrible selections. Absolutely horrible.

Should have gone with Dumba and Corrado.

It's a good thing Harrington and Ouellet (damn you Red Wings for yet another solid pick) are playing so well right now.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
12-28-2012, 02:55 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
If Canada fails at this WJC, it'll be on Spott. Lipon and Murphy were horrible selections. Absolutely horrible.

It's a good thing Harrington and Ouellet (damn you Red Wings for yet another solid pick) are playing so well right now.
That would put 8 defensemen and 12 forwards on the team if you swap those duos.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
That would put 8 defensemen and 12 forwards on the team if you swap those duos.
It's not like Lipon is doing anything worth mentioning at forward so far.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:06 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Murphy has not been able to put it together this year. But if you watched Kitchener in the playoffs last year you would have seen the version that is capable of being a dominat player. He played solid defense, was incredible offensively and was on the ice for 30+ minutes a game.

This version seems to not have a clue what to do with the puck.
Sounds kind of like Angelo Esposito of defence then

Quote:

Lipon is/was a tough one because he is similar to Tanner Pearson of last year-near tops in offense in their respective leagues after being overlooked in their drafts. I can see why he was chosen.

Murphy is just epic fail-all because Spott has a soft spot [] for him

Old
12-28-2012, 03:20 PM
OILFAN #81

No way on Dumba. The guy is so overhyped. He is a defenseman who is bad on defense. Corrado though I agree would have made my team.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:22 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:

Corrado or Dumba would definitely have been better selection than Murphy.

It's definitely on Spott if we fail, not only the players selection, but also how he created a culture of lack of discipline.

From TSN.ca: "There was a lot of frustration, a lot of questions on our bench as to what is acceptable and what isn't," said Team Canada head coach Steve Spott.

Why couldn't the head coach go tell his players, especially after the Boone Jenner's hit, that late hit and head shot are strictly off limits? Why is Spott saying something like that about not sure what acceptable and what isn't? When the coach lay the blames on the officiating, then these young players ain't gonna get the message that you just cannot try to hit late or hit the head. What part of Lipon's hit was acceptable? It was contact to the head and it was very late. If Morgan Rielly get drilled like that in the head, are you gonna complain that the official giving you a 5min PP and kicking the offender out of the game!?

We have enough offensive skill and physical strength(to separate puck from body) to win. Why are we running around trying to deliver devastating hit and keep crossing the line on trying to injure the players on other team?

Old
12-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Sounds kind of like Angelo Esposito of defence then

Lipon is/was a tough one because he is similar to Tanner Pearson of last year-near tops in offense in their respective leagues after being overlooked in their drafts. I can see why he was chosen.

Murphy is just epic fail-all because Spott has a soft spot [] for him
Not sure how often you have seen Murphy play. I've probably seen him play 100 times, maybe more. He is a much better hockey player than you give him credit for. He is not there just because of Spott though it certainly did not hurt. He has been one of the best offensive defenseman in junior hockey over the last 3 years. His defensive game has been under rated as well. That said, this is the worst I have seen him play. He really looks like he is lost out there and for a guy with his hockey sense and his on-ice vision that is simply not acceptable.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Cawz

Finally finished watching the PVR'ed Slovakia game. Nuge's goal was dirty!

Old
12-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Wheatking

The diving today was embarrassing. Back to back embellishments lead to back to back goals. They didn't need to resort to that style of play to win.

...and I realize Scheifele was taking a beating out there but he dove twice. He then had the nerve to chase the ref around asking why there wasn't a penalty. I hate seeing that kind of crap.

At least Huberdeau isn't flopping around like he did last year at the WJC and in the Memorial Cup.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
The diving today was embarrassing.
Yeah, I thought that as well. Didnt seem very... Canadiany.

Old
12-28-2012, 04:16 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
The diving today was embarrassing. Back to back embellishments lead to back to back goals. They didn't need to resort to that style of play to win.

...and I realize Scheifele was taking a beating out there but he dove twice. He then had the nerve to chase the ref around asking why there wasn't a penalty. I hate seeing that kind of crap.

At least Huberdeau isn't flopping around like he did last year at the WJC and in the Memorial Cup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Yeah, I thought that as well. Didnt seem very... Canadiany.
It's especially bad when our head coach have been blaming the officiating and IIHF for Jenner's suspension and the 2 game misconducts today.

That creates the wrong culture for the players leading them to believe their over aggressiveness on head shots and late hits are okay, and everything is IIHF and the refs faults. But then when we're diving, it's acceptable!?

Old
12-28-2012, 07:24 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post

Not his best game.

Exactly.
Some folks on this board can't see the difference between legitimate criticism and "panic".

Old
12-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
I had to record the game because I'm getting to old to hanging out watching tv at that hour, but I gatta say the thing that concerns me the most about this squad is Subban.

What a Horrible goaltender he is at this stage. I will give that he seems to be very athletic, and a good reactionary goalie. That said, he's way to frantic in net, allows to many re-bounds, doesn't seem to track/read higher shots well (on his knee's way to quickly). His save % seems to backup my concerns, and if he plays this way vs the better teams we'll get eaten alive. I've only seen Bingington the one game, but he looked like a much better goalie (slower, and had "fish" moments) but a much better goalie overall than Subban.

On a side note, Harrington and Ouellet are excellent so far on D, and as expected Nuge is carrying the play up front.
Scheifele looks excellent as well, and I've really liked Drouin, and Camara as well. As hyped as MacKINNON is I havn't
seen much of anything from him. Seth Jones has impressed me more (and I thought the opposite leading into this Tourney)

Last edited by Patch101: 12-28-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old
12-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Cerebral

Has anyone else been really impressed by Nichuskin from the Russian team. He's huge, a good skater, and he has some decent offensive instincts. The first comparison I thought of after watching him play was Jordan Staal.

I would still love to see the Oilers find a way to draft Monahan but if they end up with a top 10 pick and Nichuskin projects as a centreman, he'd be an intriguing option.

Hartikainen-RNH-Eberle
Hall-Nichuskin-Yakupov

Old
12-28-2012, 09:34 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101 View Post
I've really liked Drouin, and Camara as well. As hyped as MacKINNON is I havn't
seen much of anything from him. Seth Jones has impressed me more (and I thought the opposite leading into this Tourney)
Ya I've had Jones at #1 all year. I'm starting to think MacKinnon might fall behind Barkov and Drouin as well though.

Closed Thread