HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official-2013 World Juniors Thread - STARTS TODAY!

View Poll Results: Who's taking home gold
Canada 101 64.33%
USA 8 5.10%
Russia 22 14.01%
Finland 7 4.46%
Sweden 5 3.18%
Germany 1 0.64%
Switzerland 0 0%
Slovakia 1 0.64%
Czech Republic 0 0%
Latvia 12 7.64%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Wheatking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Or maybe "I wish there wasn't a lockout because I'd be playing for the Oilers instead of satisfying these emo/fickle fans"
We can be pretty fickle at times too but having the other three on the team will give Yakupov more time to get his feet wet in the NHL before even the most fickle fans start to turn on him.

I will say though...based on what we've seen from Yakupov in the WJC, OHL playoffs, Super Series and the Canada/Russia challenge, I'm glad Yakupov isn't our first 1st overall pick and the guy we're putting all our hopes and dreams on. I question whether he is a player that you want as the guy that is going to put the team on his shoulders and carry you to a cup win. I'm opening myself to the possibility that he might be more of a Sedin than a Toews in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
It looks like he's putting way too much pressure on himself and trying to do everything out there. You can see the skill and effort but the burden of a leadership role appears to be too much for him. It's alright, though. He won't be put in such a difficult spot here and he will have plenty of talented teammates to rely on.
Luckily we have two guys in Hall and Eberle that were pretty much built to be Conn Smythe winners someday.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
No kidding. Ferraro was really fueling the Yakupov hate fest. I don't believe he actually hates Yakupov but he wasn't doing the kid any favors. One thing that I've noticed about hockey fans is that they love when someone outside of the player that went 1st overall is the best player from the draft. Duchene supposed to be better than Tavares for a while there. Seguin is better than Hall even though his ppg average is lower and his goal scoring is significantly lower despite playing about 1 shift less a game with a Selke winner as his center and a Norris winner on the back end. Landeskog hits, blocks shots and brings tons of leadership so that's enough to go 1st overall over RNH in some people's eyes.

...and now people just love that Yakupov is struggling and they will use this 2 week tournament against him until he gets to the NHL.
Don't forget Galchenyuk. Only 1 assist in that Czech beatdown, but apparently, the reason for his suckiness is because he has crappy linemates and the coach isn't using him properly. Or so I'm told by Habs fans.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
@CupofOil and Wheatie:

I didn't watch the game, so I am going in here pretty uninformed except for what I read here.....but I think there should be lots of attentntion placed on Yaks simply due to the fact that he is last years #1 pick and captain of the Russian squad. He has also chirped on team Canada regarding "dirty play", so I'm not too surprised that TSN announcers are leaning on him a little, or a lot, not sure which, if he is playing poorly in their eyes.

He has a lot of responsablity as the captain at this age, but he will have to prove his worth. RNH has had no less pressure and attention put on him. He has the upper hand of playing a season in the NHL though, which has probably helped him in his captaincy role for the good guys.

Having said all that, I hope Yaks can bring it for the next game they play, because there is probably allot of Yakupov sucks rhetoric from some Canadian hockey fans.

I've stated in an earlier post that I hate the judgement of players in tournaments like this. Anyone who has played hockey before knows that a small sample size of games played with a different coach and teammates doesn't necessarily tell you what the player is actually like on a day to day basis. But it is a big deal tournament,

Old
01-02-2013, 10:39 AM
scid14

Yeah, I'm not worried. But I wouldn't be mad if Yakupov had his breakout game this tournament against Sweden and just dominated the way we know he can

Old
01-02-2013, 10:43 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
We can be pretty fickle at times too but having the other three on the team will give Yakupov more time to get his feet wet in the NHL before even the most fickle fans start to turn on him.

I will say though...based on what we've seen from Yakupov in the WJC, OHL playoffs, Super Series and the Canada/Russia challenge, I'm glad Yakupov isn't our first 1st overall pick and the guy we're putting all our hopes and dreams on. I question whether he is a player that you want as the guy that is going to put the team on his shoulders and carry you to a cup win. I'm opening myself to the possibility that he might be more of a Sedin than a Toews in the playoffs.

Luckily we have two guys in Hall and Eberle that were pretty much built to be Conn Smythe winners someday.

I would think Yakupov is more than a Sedin. Probably Ovechkin-lite...high expectations from a high octane player, brief periods where he will be the most dominant on the team, but will have lapses. But like you said, luckily, there's Hall and Ebs to carry the load

Old
01-02-2013, 11:53 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Never underestimate the pressure of playing for your country at home.

He's young and obviously cares passionately about winning.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:05 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Don't forget Galchenyuk. Only 1 assist in that Czech beatdown, but apparently, the reason for his suckiness is because he has crappy linemates and the coach isn't using him properly. Or so I'm told by Habs fans.
Thats what TSN is feeding them. Hating on Yakupov and dumping praise on Reilly and and Galy. Very obvious that they are just feeding the larger fan bases out East and crapping on Edmonton.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Thats what TSN is feeding them. Hating on Yakupov and dumping praise on Reilly and and Galy. Very obvious that they are just feeding the larger fan bases out East and crapping on Edmonton.
I wouldn't go that far. They've hardly been singing Galchenyuk's praises. They just seem to be ignoring that all his points are coming in blow outs and he hasn't been that effective. The same goes for Huberdeau.

...and I actually think Rielly has deserved the compliments he's received.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:27 PM
ales83fan

Have a bad feeling about the US game

Old
01-02-2013, 12:42 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
Me too. This is a very tough US squad.

Old
01-02-2013, 12:50 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ales83fan View Post
Comes down to Gibson vs Subban IMO

Old
01-02-2013, 12:55 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Just saw the US-Czech Republic game. It seems the same Czech squad that played competent hockey against Pool B just didn't show up. The US is good, no doubt, and Gibson v Subban will be the majority of play, but I think the stats may be a little more inflated.

Anybody else see Galchenyuk only get 1 assist in the blow-out? That's not good for the guy trailing the Nuge

(Didn't watch Russia v Switzerland, heard it was fantastic hockey by the Swiss, Yakupov was trying too hard to be THE man, Kucherov was something else...)

Old
01-02-2013, 01:17 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

No idea why people are down on Yakupov. He is being checked very tough and has looked solid to me. Those saying he doesn't have leadership skills are nuts. He is a very hard worker and will not disappear in the playoffs. He just hasn't been able to rack up the points yet. No big deal, if he had a couple more breaks and had another goal and a couple assists. no one would care.

No big deal, the guy has elite talent. He ins't perfect, but he will be a dam good NHL player.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:18 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Comes down to Gibson vs Subban IMO
I agree, As long as Subban matches Gibson we will win.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Psychoil

I'm honestly not that worried at all. We all know that guy is mad talented and he's way too skilled not to score. It'll happen

Old
01-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Qrispy

He looked pretty good in OT, I thought. That extra space helps and boy is he ever fast. Accelerates on a dime. Can't wait to watch him live with some capable playmakers.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Considering that they tried to vilify him at the start of the tournament Yakupov doesn't owe the leech-like Canadian sports media a ******* thing.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:34 PM
TowMater14

This just in: Idiotic Edmonton media trying to run Yakupov out of town before he even plays a game. Lead by Staples and that senile POS Matheson.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:36 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
This just in: Idiotic Edmonton media trying to run Yakupov out of town before he even plays a game. Lead by Staples and that senile POS Matheson.
Oh god, really? Links? Or is it on CultOfHockey?

Old
01-02-2013, 01:39 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Oh god, really? Links? Or is it on CultOfHockey?
All over twitter, because he didn't talk to the Media after today's game.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:40 PM
TowMater14

@EJ_Oilers: Staples: Yakupov blasted repeatedly, labelled a "prima donna" after refusing to talk to media http://t.co/ddFAEX4c #nhl #oilers

Matheson
@NHLbyMatty: It's time for igor larionov to tell his client nail yakupov that wearing the C means you talk. Kid needs wake-up call

Old
01-02-2013, 01:42 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
David Staples ‏@dstaples
Yakupov is a big talent, big personality. He wants to shine, so I bet he'll find way to fit in on #Oilers, who will shine plenty bright.
He's covering his tracks after various people yelled Xenophobia Party 2013!!

He just had a super-stressful game, I don't blame the kid, especially when the puck (From what I hear, ain't nobody got time for 2 AM in the morning ) wasn't going his way tonight.

Though I do hope he comes and talks to the media eventually.

Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

It's not just the Edmonton sports media, it's the pathetic, Canada-wide hockey-obsessed media. This country needs to find a new hobby.

Old
TowMater14

Good Tweet by Dan Tolensky
@dtolensky: Russia's @Nail10_1993 has 14 pts in 12 career WJC games. He has 175 pts in 113 career OHL games & 18 pts in 22 career KHL games. He's 19.

Old
01-02-2013, 01:53 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
Good Tweet by Dan Tolensky
@dtolensky: Russia's @Nail10_1993 has 14 pts in 12 career WJC games. He has 175 pts in 113 career OHL games & 18 pts in 22 career KHL games. He's 19.
Great tweet, the kid has done nothing but put up points. He hasn't been as great as many would like in the Subway series or the WJHC, but to me that speaks more to his teams inability to really use him. IMO they should put him and grigs on the same line. I think they want to keep two scoring lines, but neither one is going to be that great. I think if you have those two together both would have had a 4 point night against Germany or another weaker team. They would both be top 5 in scoring and no one would care. Russia just wants to win one goal defensive games, they don't care to show case Yakupov.

Closed Thread