HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official-2013 World Juniors Thread - STARTS TODAY!

View Poll Results: Who's taking home gold
Canada 101 64.33%
USA 8 5.10%
Russia 22 14.01%
Finland 7 4.46%
Sweden 5 3.18%
Germany 1 0.64%
Switzerland 0 0%
Slovakia 1 0.64%
Czech Republic 0 0%
Latvia 12 7.64%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Moose Coleman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
This is going no where.

I'll switch my tact and agree with you and Liqor. In fact, I think all players should stop talking to media, I also think they should stop broadcasting hockey and the only way you could watch games is to actually go to them ... well, because no one really cares.
Another logic fail. You haven't thought this through, have you?

Let me ask you this: when was the last time you read or watched a post-game interview with a pro hockey player - hell, any pro athlete - and walked away thinking "Gee, that was really enlightening and educational. I learned so much about the game and the player!" I'd reckon that happens somewhere between "rarely" and "never." The very best you can hope for is a good Bryz-esque quip.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:27 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Your own logic fail is saying that interviews are pointless anyway, so why should we be bothered by Yakupov not talking to the media.

I agree that the interviews are pointless but the media has to justify its own existence, so things are unlikely to change in the foreseeable future. God could we have one more midgame interview with a coach? I'd be like Gregg Popovich if I had to speak to someone like McGuire during the game.

But when you're the captain, are you not expected to have a more visible role in terms of communicating with the media? Not sure he should be called a "prima donna", that's a clown statement, bro, but for him to simply not talk to the Canadian media when he played junior in Canada and will be playing for a Canadian NHL team doesn't make sense to me.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Moose Coleman

Not sure if addressed to me, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Your own logic fail is saying that interviews are pointless anyway, so why should we be bothered by Yakupov not talking to the media.
But I'm not bothered by Yak not talking to the media.

Quote:
I agree that the interviews are pointless but the media has to justify its own existence, so things are unlikely to change in the foreseeable future. God could we have one more midgame interview with a coach? I'd be like Gregg Popovich if I had to speak to someone like McGuire during the game.
Exactly.

Quote:
But when you're the captain, are you not expected to have a more visible role in terms of communicating with the media? Not sure he should be called a "prima donna", that's a clown statement, bro, but for him to simply not talk to the Canadian media when he played junior in Canada and will be playing for a Canadian NHL team doesn't make sense to me.
I know why the media is ********. I just don't think it says anything about Yak's character or attitude. Maybe he just didn't feel like giving an interview in a language he's not super comfortable in? A guy should have a choice to talk or not and not be vilified for it.

Old
01-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Another logic fail. You haven't thought this through, have you?

Let me ask you this: when was the last time you read or watched a post-game interview with a pro hockey player - hell, any pro athlete - and walked away thinking "Gee, that was really enlightening and educational. I learned so much about the game and the player!" I'd reckon that happens somewhere between "rarely" and "never." The very best you can hope for is a good Bryz-esque quip.
Your entire stream of logic is nonsensical and fail. Your suggesting every pro-athlete has no insight to contribute. If that's the case, why do you watch? Why do you listen? Why do you read chat boards? What are you trying to get out of it? Some perverse joy in reminding yourself how stupid sports stars are and how smart you are?

Old
01-02-2013, 05:31 PM
40oz

If I've learned one thing from this WJC, is that Russia loves that Shakira song from the FIFA World Cup.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
If I've learned one thing from this WJC, is that Russia loves that Shakira song from the FIFA World Cup.
Naaah Man. I keep hearing that Prince song.

Old
01-02-2013, 05:51 PM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 50
Yakupov looks pretty bad so far. I'm beginning to think that he just doesn't show up for big games. Hopefully he can change that in the future

Old
01-02-2013, 06:42 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Yakupov looks pretty bad so far. I'm beginning to think that he just doesn't show up for big games. Hopefully he can change that in the future
I would say he has looked ok, he still has 5 points in 5 games. He hasn't looked bad, but I agree, no great. He looked deadly vs Germany.

The thing is he may very well not be a big game player, but it is just way to early to say. He has not played in enough big games to judge. Small sample size. Comparing him the the Sedin's who have underperformed for years in the playoffs is crazy.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:45 PM
T-Funk

He's getting shut down. Happens to Ovechkin too.

Old
01-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Every third period...

ITS RAINING MEN! HALLELUJAH IT'S RAINING MEN!

Last edited by Paralyzer008: 01-02-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old
01-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Your entire stream of logic is nonsensical and fail. Your suggesting every pro-athlete has no insight to contribute.
So answer me: how many times have you come away with some real insight after an reading or watching an interview? Who was the player? What value do you see player interviews providing that you feel you are being robbed of when they don't talk to the media?

Quote:
If that's the case, why do you watch? Why do you listen? Why do you read chat boards?
Ha ha what?! I watch the games because I enjoy the sport. I watch/listen to interviews because it's pretty hard to avoid during the course of a broadcast. I read chat rooms to talk about the game with fellow fans (pretty sure there's no Oilers on here...) Hell, i follow a few players on Twitter and get more out of that than any interview I've ever seen with them on HNIC.

My only interest in a player is what they do on the ice and not what banality they spout to get Terry Jones the hell away from them so they can get on with their lives. If knowing they gave 110% and stuck to their game plan is really important to you, don't worry: there's lots of players to scratch that itch. Just don't expect everybody else to get on board with the idea that not talking to the press is some kind of character flaw.

Quote:
What are you trying to get out of it? Some perverse joy in reminding yourself how stupid sports stars are and how smart you are
Er, I don't think I said anything about them being stupid. OK, some of them probably aren't gonna be winning any Rhodes scholarships, but it's a simple reality that these guys are trained from an early age to be as bland and inoffensive as can be. If 90 per cent of the league quit doing interviews, I doubt you'd be any wiser. On a side note, it's pretty strange that you can't seem to put forward an argument as to what's wrong with declining to speak to the press and are focusing your line of attack on me.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Anyone up for an avatar bet for this morning's game?

Old
01-02-2013, 09:35 PM
AK Dandyman

American has a very good team. Anything can happen in a one game elimination format.

Goaltending, PP, PK are obviously some of the key things to the game tomorrow. Also, we need to be very very careful about penalties.

If I'm the American's coach, knowing that Canada has a slightly superior team in all positions except being even in goal, I'd be asking my team to go agitate the Canadians, bait them, antagonize them, draw penalties, because the Canadians will try to retaliate. Target guys like McNeil and Jenner who are prone to react. That gives them the best chance to beat Canada, as it'll be too risky to run and gun or not quite enough to just play it safe against Canada since Canada can play well either way.

I especially worry about McNeil. Hope the head coach can keep him and the boys under control. No retaliatory and no over aggressiveness penalty, please.

Old
01-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
Anyone up for an avatar bet for this morning's game?
I'll put my Aviator on the line for a month.

You pick one if USA wins, I'll pick one for a month for you if the good guys win.

As long as the reply is before the start of the game...

Old
01-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I'll put my Aviator on the line for a month.

You pick one if USA wins, I'll pick one for a month for you if the good guys win.

As long as the reply is before the start of the game...
Yeah sure.

oh man i already got one picked out. Come on USA!!

Last edited by Matt Ryan: 01-02-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old
01-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
Yeah sure.

oh man i already got one picked out. Come on USA!!
I haven't got a clue what you're surely going to get, but you may regret it.

Go Canada!

If any posters here have a good idea, let me know. Maybe we can have a group effort.

Old
01-02-2013, 10:41 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Jets fan dropping by to say hello and thanks for RNH. He has been great to watch play for Canada. In the small sample size I saw of his game last year I thought he was special but being able to watch him more closely in these games I have gained a deeper appreciation for his game. the kid just sees the game differently. By far Canada's best player which is no suprise but he seems humble as well.

Go Canada Go!

Old
01-02-2013, 10:46 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Jets fan dropping by to say hello and thanks for RNH. He has been great to watch play for Canada. In the small sample size I saw of his game last year I thought he was special but being able to watch him more closely in these games I have gained a deeper appreciation for his game. the kid just sees the game differently. By far Canada's best player which is no suprise but he seems humble as well.

Go Canada Go!
Jets got a very good one in Scheifele as well. Great determination to create offense and got great finishing ability.

Hope RNH and Scheifele can hook up on a good number of goals in the next couple games!

Old
01-02-2013, 11:07 PM
jbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Yakupov looks pretty bad so far. I'm beginning to think that he just doesn't show up for big games.Hopefully he can change that in the future
It is an incredibly small sample size.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:25 PM
luongo321

RNH better go beast mode and shut up some of those insufferable american fans on the main board. my goodness.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:34 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
Jets got a very good one in Scheifele as well. Great determination to create offense and got great finishing ability.

Hope RNH and Scheifele can hook up on a good number of goals in the next couple games!
Mark is playing out of position and taking allot of physical punishment trying to learn the winger thing but he would be thrilled to be on a line with RNH. although he is taking a beating going to the dirty areas he does not know how to quit and competes as hard as anyone I have seen. He has a high hockey IQ, great hands and vision, and although at times his balance isn't pretty he is relentless and a very effective point producer, defensively sound (we won't mention his assist on the Russian Goal ), and has a knack for producing in the big moment. Mark is nowhere near the RNH level but like Ryan a better kid you will not meet (lots of pride in the crest and zero ego)

Hope the boys have a big game this morning.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:26 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Mark is playing out of position and taking allot of physical punishment trying to learn the winger thing but he would be thrilled to be on a line with RNH. although he is taking a beating going to the dirty areas he does not know how to quit and competes as hard as anyone I have seen. He has a high hockey IQ, great hands and vision, and although at times his balance isn't pretty he is relentless and a very effective point producer, defensively sound (we won't mention his assist on the Russian Goal ), and has a knack for producing in the big moment. Mark is nowhere near the RNH level but like Ryan a better kid you will not meet (lots of pride in the crest and zero ego)

Hope the boys have a big game this morning.
I don't mean to rain on the parade, but I have been mighty disappointed in his willingness to look for calls. 3 or 4 times it has been blatant that he has been looking to get a call. He needs to grow out of that sooner rather than later.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
And people want Big Ice here in NA. The KHL system is what the Russian team is playing and it makes for some boring hockey. I can see the guys with high end skills getting frustrated and trying to do too much themselves.

They don't attack and support they try to be fancy and it just doesn't work
What!?

Old
01-03-2013, 01:28 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
What!?
Didn't you know, all 26 teams play the exact same system. By law any hockey team affiliated with Russia in any way must play that way.

Old
01-03-2013, 01:44 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Didn't you know, all 26 teams play the exact same system. By law any hockey team affiliated with Russia in any way must play that way.
good call

Closed Thread