HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Springfield Falcons/Kalamazoo Wings Thread IV (All Affiliate talk here)

Old
05-03-2014, 09:14 PM
offkilter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Welp. Falcons are out. At least Anton Forsberg stopped 24 of 26. Can someone who actually watched tonight, or any game lately where Forsberg has played, give a report on Forsberg?
He stood tall. The first he let in the defense let him hang out to dry before he was settled in, and the second was a piss poor Penalty kill attempt by his team he had no chance on.

offkilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Welp. Falcons are out. At least Anton Forsberg stopped 24 of 26. Can someone who actually watched tonight, or any game lately where Forsberg has played, give a report on Forsberg?
Looked solid. Team wasn't very good in front of him.

He probably wouldn't have played if McKenna could have stopped a beach ball tonight. First goal McKenna gave up was a laser, the last two I could have had and I'm as far from athletic as you can possibly be.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 07:36 AM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Just not gonna win many hockey games when your goalies allow 4 goals on the first seven shots of the game. OTOH the Bruins really dominated the game from the point McKenna was lifted after the 3rd goal. The Falcons as constituted the last 2 years simply couldn't keep up with fast skilled teams like the Bruins and the Crunch last season in the playoffs. Skille would have helped.

scoob4093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 07:45 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4093 View Post
Just not gonna win many hockey games when your goalies allow 4 goals on the first seven shots of the game. OTOH the Bruins really dominated the game from the point McKenna was lifted after the 3rd goal. The Falcons as constituted the last 2 years simply couldn't keep up with fast skilled teams like the Bruins and the Crunch last season in the playoffs. Skille would have helped.
While not knowing much about the Falcons, this is a disturbing comment from someone who I'm assuming has watched the team.
Doesn't appear that Jarmo's quest for speed and skill will come from down on the farm.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 09:45 AM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
While not knowing much about the Falcons, this is a disturbing comment from someone who I'm assuming has watched the team.
Doesn't appear that Jarmo's quest for speed and skill will come from down on the farm.
It will. It will just take time. Now that we don't have to rush every player into the CBJ lineup it'll make young players have to spens time there before making the team. Over the next 2 years we could see Zaar, Anderson, Rychel, Wennberg, Dano, Bjorkstrand, Reilly and Heatherington potentially spending rthere..

slightlystewpid420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 01:19 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
That's because almost all of our good young players/prospects are either already in the NHL or not in the AHL yet.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 12:20 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
That's because almost all of our good young players/prospects are either already in the NHL or not in the AHL yet.
Not to beat a dead horse but I would have to put that in the negative column as far as evaluating XGMSH.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Not to beat a dead horse but I would have to put that in the negative column as far as evaluating XGMSH.
How so? A handful of Howson's picks haven't made it to the AHL due to age restriction or development purposes but soon will. Some obviously haven't done anything, of course, but then there's obviously Calvert, Atkinson, Jenner, and Johansen who are major contributors to our "fast" identity.

Howson's negative column should be bereft of most drafting criticism. I honestly don't see what he has to do with the conversation at hand.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
I don't think it's disturbing at all. In the playoffs, any AHL team is trying to win rather than deferring to prospects for developmental purposes. And on any AHL team, chances are good that the best players they have are one of the following:
- Players signed to AHL-only deals
- Players on two-way deals who are tagged for the AHL
- Longshot prospects who may dominate the AHL but never do anything in the NHL

The greatest minor league teams in history had almost nothing in the way of NHL prospects, even when expansion came along. The 1992-93 San Diego Gulls set a ton of records with a top line of NHL washouts Daniel Shank, Hubie McDonough, and Scott Arniel, a top defensive pairing of Dale DeGray and Bill Houlder, and goalies Clint Malarchuk, Rick Knickle, and Peter Ing. The rest of the roster was much the same; guys who might be able to stick on a 4th line somewhere, but were All-Stars in the IHL. Houlder is the only one who went from San Diego to even a serviceable NHL career.

Springfield alone has two prior examples of this. They won consecutive Calder Cups in 1989-90 and 1990-91....despite having a different affiliate in each year. The Islanders-affiliated team in 1989-90 had a small handful of guys go on to an NHL career, with Derek King and Jeff Hackett easily being the best. The 1990-91 Hartford-affiliated team had an even more nondescript cast, anchored by one of the best minor league defensemen of the last 20 years...you may have heard of Todd Richards.

Quote:
Although my objection to this could be predicted, I maintain that that's a big stretch for the reasons outlined above.

Among forwards, Springfield's top scorer this year was Michael Chaput, who's a raw NHL prospect, then Sean Collins. Third was Jonathan Audy-Marchessault, who's very much a speedy scorer and was traded (signed by Howson, traded by Kekalainen). Then it was Ryan Craig (non-NHLer on a two-way deal), J-F Jacques (non-NHLer on an AHL-only deal), Darryl Boyce (ditto), and Andrew Joudrey (same). Jack Skille, a speedy scorer who had 13 goals and 24 points in just 22 AHL games, wasn't sent down for the AHL playoffs despite being a pending UFA.

In addition, the presumption of the importance of speed is based on the idea that the NHL will place a premium on that. With the way that the game has been called the last several years, I don't buy the fact that speed kills like it does in a more open and tightly-called game.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
In addition, the presumption of the importance of speed is based on the idea that the NHL will place a premium on that. With the way that the game has been called the last several years, I don't buy the fact that speed kills like it does in a more open and tightly-called game.
I frankly get the feeling the NHL is leaning less towards pure speed and more towards agility and mobility. Or, in other words, less Chimera and more Atkinson.

(Of course, it may have always been that way. My ability to watch historical games has always been rather severely inhibited.)

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I frankly get the feeling the NHL is leaning less towards pure speed and more towards agility and mobility. Or, in other words, less Chimera and more Atkinson.

(Of course, it may have always been that way. My ability to watch historical games has always been rather severely inhibited.)
If you don't want to go back too far, I'd bring up the Courtnall brothers (Russ and Geoff). Geoff was older and undrafted, Russ was younger and a 1st-rounder (7th overall). Both had a cup of coffee in 1983-84, then became full-time regulars the next year. Both had roughly the same peak and same career numbers. They're unusually comparable players, strange as it sounds to say that about brothers.

Geoff was fast, Russ was blazing. Geoff was average defensively, Russ was poor. Geoff had much higher hockey IQ than Russ, which to me is the biggest difference. Both hit 20 goals 10 times, but Geoff was able to put up 30 goals in 1987-88, in 1992-93, and in 1997-98. Russ only hit 30 goals once, that in 1992-93. Russ was ideally suited for a wide-open game since he was impossible to contain when the game was called tightly. He could simply go past any defenseman in the game. Geoff wasn't as fast but compensated by having to think the game better.

What it meant was that, as the game became more restricted around 1996, things changed. Starting in 1996-97, Geoff had 55 goals and 192 points in 257 games. Russ had 29 goals and 72 points in 176 games. Geoff was 34 when that period began, but could hang on because he could adapt. Russ was 31 when that period began, but couldn't hang on because his only skillset was no longer suitable in a more restrictive game.

Russ was a better Chimera. He wouldn't go offside as often, but regularly had problems handling the puck cleanly and had the tendency to make some baffling plays. Geoff was a better Atkinson, although Atkinson is still developing.

Old
05-08-2014, 11:00 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
If you don't want to go back too far, I'd bring up the Courtnall brothers (Russ and Geoff). Geoff was older and undrafted, Russ was younger and a 1st-rounder (7th overall). Both had a cup of coffee in 1983-84, then became full-time regulars the next year. Both had roughly the same peak and same career numbers. They're unusually comparable players, strange as it sounds to say that about brothers.

Geoff was fast, Russ was blazing. Geoff was average defensively, Russ was poor. Geoff had much higher hockey IQ than Russ, which to me is the biggest difference. Both hit 20 goals 10 times, but Geoff was able to put up 30 goals in 1987-88, in 1992-93, and in 1997-98. Russ only hit 30 goals once, that in 1992-93. Russ was ideally suited for a wide-open game since he was impossible to contain when the game was called tightly. He could simply go past any defenseman in the game. Geoff wasn't as fast but compensated by having to think the game better.

What it meant was that, as the game became more restricted around 1996, things changed. Starting in 1996-97, Geoff had 55 goals and 192 points in 257 games. Russ had 29 goals and 72 points in 176 games. Geoff was 34 when that period began, but could hang on because he could adapt. Russ was 31 when that period began, but couldn't hang on because his only skillset was no longer suitable in a more restrictive game.

Russ was a better Chimera. He wouldn't go offside as often, but regularly had problems handling the puck cleanly and had the tendency to make some baffling plays. Geoff was a better Atkinson, although Atkinson is still developing.
I love me some Geoff Courtnall, although he was 6' tall, not my size like Atkinson. I'm still pissed off the Capitals traded him for Peter Zezel and... some other guy. Although they did turn Zezel into Al Iafrate so...

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 11:39 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Letestu View Post
I love me some Geoff Courtnall, although he was 6' tall, not my size like Atkinson. I'm still pissed off the Capitals traded him for Peter Zezel and... some other guy. Although they did turn Zezel into Al Iafrate so...
Mike Lalor was the other guy. I always liked Zezel, going for enough as to take faceoffs like he did. Tie up the other center completely, then kick the puck back.

Of course, I'll never understand what Washington was doing up the middle during those 15 years. Have a finisher like Gartner or Ciccarelli or Bondra or even Khristich on the wing, then be content with Ridley or Pivonka anchoring the center.

Old
05-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Letestu View Post

At least that trade wasn't as bad as Russ Courtnall's trade to the Habs for John Kordic. Although I grew up a Habs fan so that is still a favorite trade of mine, despite Russ' shortcomings.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

cody bass@cbass2632 17 secs
In Philly for surgery and someone gets shot 20 doors down from @dboyce47 and I'a room! #fml

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 04:38 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

possible team next season?

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 05:17 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatOne View Post
possible team next season?
I would guess pretty young with several new players. Wennberg, Rychel, Dano, Anderson and Tynan are likely to lead the offense. Forsberg and Dansk could be the goalie tandem (although Dansk could play in the CHL, ECHL or even go to europe for a year) and the defense will be completely different.

CBJ has several players to get signed so it's very early to tell but the players above are all on ELC so they aren't subject to waivers and while Wennberg has the best shot of making the NHL I'm not sure he will. CBJ could also sign Zaar and bring him over. They need some veteran leadership to show these young guys the way

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 06:45 PM
stevo61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
I would guess pretty young with several new players. Wennberg, Rychel, Dano, Anderson and Tynan are likely to lead the offense. Forsberg and Dansk could be the goalie tandem (although Dansk could play in the CHL, ECHL or even go to europe for a year) and the defense will be completely different.

CBJ has several players to get signed so it's very early to tell but the players above are all on ELC so they aren't subject to waivers and while Wennberg has the best shot of making the NHL I'm not sure he will. CBJ could also sign Zaar and bring him over. They need some veteran leadership to show these young guys the way
Thats where Bass and Craig should be huge next year if they are there(not sure if they are even signed or not). I doubt Dansk is there because although it might be nice for develop from Columbus' perspective it would be less than ideal for Springfield. Im sure McKenna will be back if he wants to or even Smith

stevo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 02:27 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Rob Mixer @RobMixer · 2h

#CBJ appoint Jared Bednar head coach of the Springfield Falcons (AHL). Full story here: http://*******/Bednar0616

06-20-2014, 05:48 PM
vogeezy

Not sure if this is where I ask this question but I don't really keep up with the draft picks but can someone tell me who our prospects (Zaar, Anderson, Rychel, Wennberg, Dano, Bjorkstrand, Reilly) ..are most likely going to turn out like?

Ex.Teuvo Teravainen is/was viewed as the next Patrick Kane

vogeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 06:50 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeezy View Post
Not sure if this is where I ask this question but I don't really keep up with the draft picks but can someone tell me who our prospects (Zaar, Anderson, Rychel, Wennberg, Dano, Bjorkstrand, Reilly) ..are most likely going to turn out like?

Not sure about some of these, but Anderson is seen as Derek Dorsett-like without the penalties, Rychel I can see being a lite-Lucic, and I've been comparing Wennberg and Zetterberg since we drafted him.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 07:14 PM
stevo61

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Not sure about some of these, but Anderson is seen as Derek Dorsett-like without the penalties, Rychel I can see being a lite-Lucic, and I've been comparing Wennberg and Zetterberg since we drafted him.
I dont really see Anderson as a Dorsett type, probably closer to Boll if anything. Im not really sure who I'd compare him to, maybe Chris Thorburne with a bit better hands.
Rychel is more of a complementary guy who doesn't like to touch the puck until it's close to the net and he can finish it off, right now he's like a less chippy Hartnell.
With Wennberg a bunch of people like to compare his game in ways to Zetterberg while Wennberg himself says Nicklas Backstrom. His game will have similarties to guys like those, just dont expect 90 point seasons.
The easy answer for Dano is Oshie. so many similarities in their game and how they were drafted. each team with multiple 1sts and Kekalainen took them higher then they were expected. Neither is big but are chippy and defensively responsible and have good hands.
Zaar I haven't really watched in awhile, maybe something like Atkinson?
Mike Reilly last year you could have lumped in with most of the offensive guys that make boneheaded defensive plays but this year he's worked on his defensive game quite a bit. So I'd say something like Markov maybe. Big shot and good playmaking ability but I doubt he would ever get close to averaging 25min a game.

Old
06-20-2014, 07:23 PM
vogeezy

If Wennberg turns out like backstrum or zetterberg I don't know what I am going to do!

vogeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 07:40 PM
stevo61

Quote:
If Wennberg turns out like backstrum or zetterberg I don't know what I am going to do!
thats a style comparisn. dont hold your breathe on a point per game player. If all goes well though we should have a pretty impressive 1-2 punch at center

Old
06-20-2014, 10:58 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:

Solely based on styles, not on upside:

Zaar: Gustav Nyquist
Anderson: Matt Beleskey
Rychel: Ryan Smyth
Wennberg: Henrik Zetterberg (hate this comparison, but the style is close)
Dano: Probably the toughest of all to compare; I'll say Brad Marchand with less pest, nose, and more skill.
Bjorkstrand: Kristian Huselius
Reilly: Justin Schultz

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote