HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Draft Thread: Offensive flash is a beauty but defensive presence rules.

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 11:11 AM
The Winter Soldier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
But consider the tournament Drouin had as well when he was given a chance. I guess my point was I'd rather draft a franchise C than D. Especially for our situation.
I like Drouin and he is cemented at #3 for me, but really are you telling me you prefer an impact winger over to what looks like the best defensive prospect since Drew Doughty? A franchise D man for the next 10 years for the Leafs?

Old
01-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
I was surprised his stock wasn't way up after how he ended last season than playoffs. Everyone credited Nate when Drouin was really just as good.

Good to see him get recognition now
Well you and I probably got good views due to our ties in the east and games watched there but not many IMO. Mackinnon has been hyped for the last 3 years so people probably just bought into his game rather than give Drouin credit. I mean still now people gave credit to Mac before Drouin until the WJC though.

01-06-2013, 12:52 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
The King of HF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I like Drouin and he is cemented at #3 for me, but really are you telling me you prefer an impact winger over to what looks like the best defensive prospect since Drew Doughty? A franchise D man for the next 10 years for the Leafs?
Well I never said I would take Drouin before him for starters. Second, Drouin will likely be a center. Finally, Dmen are very risky. At least a lot of times they are. Hedman and Johnson ring a bell recently (Hedman is good in his own end but was supposed to be better)

Old
01-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Well I never said I would take Drouin before him for starters. Second, Drouin will likely be a center. Finally, Dmen are very risky. At least a lot of times they are. Hedman and Johnson ring a bell recently (Hedman is good in his own end but was supposed to be better)
Don't count out Hedman yet he'll take some time, however the Johnson one yea that one was unique.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:03 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
The King of HF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Well you and I probably got good views due to our ties in the east and games watched there but not many IMO. Mackinnon has been hyped for the last 3 years so people probably just bought into his game rather than give Drouin credit. I mean still now people gave credit to Mac before Drouin until the WJC though.
Ya I actually live in Halifax and I'm more on the Drouin bandwagon. Nate played games in Hali when he was 15 (forget the tournament) and the hype machine was in full effect. Then at the draft everyone was pissed when we moved up to 2nd and Nate (our target) went 1st. Nobody knew much about Drouin. Then we traded for Nate, everyone was pumped. Drouin no shows and I don't think anyone around here cared much lol.

Then fast forward to the end of the season and he improved a lot. Dominates in the playoffs (game 7 ot winner ) and it was "because of Nate". This season he is better offensively than Nate and most still argued "he only does this good because of Nate". Lol what? He's doing better (at least offensively) and people finally saw him without Nate at the WJC. How'd he do?

I'm happy he is finally getting recognition for his hard work. His vision and hockey sence is through the roof. Nate is more well rounded but if he comes back next year, I'd switch him to center and get him to be better in all ends.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:04 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
The King of HF!

Quote:
Don't count out Hedman yet he'll take some time, however the Johnson one yea that one was unique.
Well ya he's still young but dmen take longer to develop and have more bust potential. That's all I'm saying. I suppose I shouldn't mention Hedman given his age

Old
01-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Commander Clueless
Fear the Leaf

So does the half the season help our draft stock? Or hurt it?

Personally I think it hurts it but hopefully that's a good thing.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:31 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post

Hard to say what the season will bring.

I haven't seen one person on here mention what James Reimer was doing this off-season. He could very well be in worse shape than Byfuglien at the wedding. A lot of the season will depend on how he's looking because we can't expect the Leafs to make a trade for a goaltender.

Some of the Marlies will likely make the jump to the NHL. Gardiner, Frattin, Holzer and possibly Kadri and Ranger. They've all been playing and give them an edge to guys who have only been playing in practice like scrimmages.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:43 PM
The Winter Soldier

Quote:
If you are going to pick the half glass empty approach, why did you not mention Daigle and only Johnson?

Old
01-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
We need to draft a center if we draft top 2. Drouin has really impressed me..if we are that terrible..we need a center unless Burke has some sort of inside track on guys like Getzlaf and Perry...then I don't care who we draft.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:57 PM
leugangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
We need to draft a center if we draft top 2. Drouin has really impressed me..if we are that terrible..we need a center unless Burke has some sort of inside track on guys like Getzlaf and Perry...then I don't care who we draft.

Every team that misses the playoffs now has a shot at #1 overall

Old
01-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
still other guys without a doubt that are going to be a longer term project, a lot of raw skill. Not as well rounded out as some of those in the top 8ish. Players like Bailey and Kujawinski, there was another one I forget, not Horvat and Domi.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:59 PM
leugangen

Quote:
still other guys without a doubt that are going to be a longer term project, a lot of raw skill. Not as well rounded out as some of those in the top 8ish. Players like Bailey and Kujawinski, there was another one I forget, not Horvat and Domi.

Nichushkin?

Old
01-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
Nichushkin?
I think he'll be in the top 10 or 15ish as well he isn't a center.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

I think if we do well enough in the shortened season and we have a pick out of the top 10 or whatever, this is the year Burke definitely trades up. Way too much talent in that top 10, and if he has a chance to flip a nice prospect to get into the top 5 especially he will. As a Mooseheads fan I've been hoping for MacKinnon, but that is likely out of the question now.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:21 PM
JMcLeaf

vCash: 167
So i've seen a few posters say all teams that miss the playoffs will be in the lottery for the 1st overall pick (weighted though). Is this true?

Old
01-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
So i've seen a few posters say all teams that miss the playoffs will be in the lottery for the 1st overall pick (weighted though). Is this true?
Sort of, it's a bit unclear.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:24 PM
leugangen

Quote:
I think he'll be in the top 10 or 15ish as well he isn't a center.
I have seen him listed as a C and LW.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Terrence

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Frederik Gauthier is one.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:39 PM
The Magic Man
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
I thought I saw somewhere (twitter?) that the odds of winning remain the same, but they eliminated the 4 max move. They should just do the same as the NBA, and lottery the top 3 spots.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:41 PM
The Winter Soldier

Watching the ottawa / brampton game today, after watching the WJC these past 2 weeks, I recalled someone saying 'again someone putting too much stock into the WJC'. Wonder if we should put stock into this game? If I go on the first period of this game, No one would be draft worthy. Ottawa is a very bad hockey team.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:46 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post

With this team it might actually help . All depends on how they come out of the gate.

At least now every team that misses has a shot at the top pick. Though we'd still need to perform some bribery to win it .

Old
01-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Frederik Gauthier is one.
He's one but I question his skill output tbh. The other guy who is winger though is Rychel, he can also play center right?

leugangen i always thought he was just a winger never knew he played abit of center, I won't comment much as I barely see him.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

The centers I was talking about was Lazar and possible Compher.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:24 PM
The Winter Soldier

If Ottawa didn't have Ceci and Monahan, they would be in even more trouble. Best 67's of the game.

After 2 periods, Monahan is having just an OK game, always shows good IQ out on the ice. Creates space on the PP with a nice assist and he's effective killing penalties.

Doesn't do one thing great, rather than a lot of things very well. Solid top 7 prospect that if you want a complete player with no holes, this is it.

Closed Thread