HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Draft Thread: Offensive flash is a beauty but defensive presence rules.

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2012, 06:17 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Nurse has the physical skills, his head isn't there yet, my worry is will it ever be.
He's got better hockey sense than Dumba, by miles, at that, but you can get behind him.... Strange.

Old
12-23-2012, 08:08 PM
RomanianLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
I think Monahan is destined to be on this team.
i hope so...perfect fit

Old
12-23-2012, 08:17 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanianLeafs View Post
i hope so...perfect fit
Barkov is like Monahan except a year younger and PPG in a men's league so seems like a bit of a toss up to me

Old
12-23-2012, 09:30 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Barkov is like Monahan except a year younger and PPG in a men's league so seems like a bit of a toss up to me
...and bigger, and better in almost every way, imo. Still love Monahan though, not so much a knock on him more me just trying to say Barkov is a clear cut above.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Epoch

Love Monahan's game. I hope we have the opportunity to draft him.

Old
12-23-2012, 10:31 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
...and bigger, and better in almost every way, imo. Still love Monahan though, not so much a knock on him more me just trying to say Barkov is a clear cut above.
No I agree. I'm a big fan of Barkov and honestly I'd think long and hard about taking him first, but I'm no scout, and their rankings might be closer than I know, so

Old
12-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
I think Monahan is grittier. But yea, I would still take barkov before him.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:44 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Monahan has grit, and it's one thing he has well over Barkov.

Barkov uses his size to protect the puck and gain position in front of the net, where he seems to pick up a lot of rebounds. We've been missing a guy like him since Sundin. Great size with elite skill to lead the charge up front.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:59 AM
Rare Jewel
Patience

The one thing you debate about Monahan vs Barkov is how will Barkov adapt to N.A hockey?

Smaller rink, Less time and space, Much grittier opposition. Things to take into account. And why I'm worried about this is he's not the best skater, In fact there were times against USA I saw him turning like freight ship.

Old
12-24-2012, 03:10 AM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
The one thing you debate about Monahan vs Barkov is how will Barkov adapt to N.A hockey?

Smaller rink, Less time and space, Much grittier opposition. Things to take into account. And why I'm worried about this is he's not the best skater, In fact there were times against USA I saw him turning like freight ship.
Yea, its always a cause for concern as to see if a player will drop in the draft. That's why some players will drop in the draft. I can't really see Barkov dropping out of the top 5 though.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:32 AM
showtime8

As I was looking for names to check out for the upcoming draft, I ran into this link.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=83207

Just a list of players that are draft eligible that were there before the season.

Old
12-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Monahan has grit, and it's one thing he has well over Barkov.

Barkov uses his size to protect the puck and gain position in front of the net, where he seems to pick up a lot of rebounds. We've been missing a guy like him since Sundin. Great size with elite skill to lead the charge up front.
One can also argue Monahan has better elite hockey sense than Barkov too. He's the right player for the Leafs, he's gritty, he can play in both ends of the ice, he is a talentm he's a C. Maybe not Barkov highlight films talented, but to me he is much more the sure thing, and when you are drafting 1-5, you want the surefire BPA. The OHL is the best amateur league in producing NHL'ers. When you have 2 players as close as Barkov and Monahan, I'd go with tried and tested 99/100

Old
12-24-2012, 09:45 AM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

Monahan is a easy pick for the leafs if they are in the position and Mackinnon is off the board.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:00 AM
gabeliscious

any of the top centers would make me happy. we desperately need a top center prospect. i really dont think we would be bad off with any of them.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Quote:
I like your style. Why respond to *what* he said when you can attack him on *how* he said it, amirite?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. -- Mark Twain

Quote:
One can also argue Monahan has better elite hockey sense than Barkov too. He's the right player for the Leafs, he's gritty, he can play in both ends of the ice, he is a talentm he's a C. Maybe not Barkov highlight films talented, but to me he is much more the sure thing, and when you are drafting 1-5, you want the surefire BPA. The OHL is the best amateur league in producing NHL'ers. When you have 2 players as close as Barkov and Monahan, I'd go with tried and tested 99/100
Monahan reminds me of Grabovski. He's got those intangibles, grit, and two-way play that go beyond points, which can allow him to put together a solid career even if the points aren't always there. Having another Grabovski on the team wouldn't be a bad thing provided the Leafs are in his draft range.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Aside from Tavares and without a doubt stamkos, who were the last first rounder from the OHL that ended up being a first line center?

12-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. -- Mark Twain

Monahan reminds me of Grabovski. He's got those intangibles, grit, and two-way play that go beyond points, which can allow him to put together a solid career even if the points aren't always there. Having another Grabovski on the team wouldn't be a bad thing provided the Leafs are in his draft range.
Monahan is a better playmaker, but that standard you gave was not hard to beat, plus he has done something the other hasn't done in his career, he captained a championship team in 1 of the 3 championships teams he has been apart of in 3 years.

You are the company you keep, I like to surround myself with winners, others like to surround themselves with losers, to each is own. I know which catagory you chose. But good post, that was amusing.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:34 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Yea, its always a cause for concern as to see if a player will drop in the draft. That's why some players will drop in the draft. I can't really see Barkov dropping out of the top 5 though.
Bigger ice favors the fleet of foot.

Too bad the focus will be on the Canadian team and there won't be a lot of opportunity to see all the prospects in this tournament.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Bigger ice favors the fleet of foot.

Too bad the focus will be on the Canadian team and there won't be a lot of opportunity to see all the prospects in this tournament.
From the games I've seen of Barkov, his biggest issue is his skating, aside from that he's actually pretty good in all aspects of the games. He's not a flashy player he never will be but he gets the job done and has impeccable timing of being at the right place at the right time. As well hands down gives pinpoint accurate passes.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:54 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Monahan DOES NOT have better hockey sense than Barkov. GET REAL.

Barkov is the definition of a cerebral center.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:59 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Barkov lacks only Monahan's grit. Almost thought I was being trolled hard with this...

Barkov is a better player, hands down, playing in a better league than the OHL, against MEN. There are many NHL players in that league right now, and he continues to shine.

Monahan a "sure thing" over Barkov!? LOLOLOL. C'mon. Tried and tested? He didn't make the WJC squad over Drouin.

MacK
Barkov/Jones
-------------------
Lindholm
Drouin
Monahan

In terms of talent

Old
12-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Monahan DOES NOT have better hockey sense than Barkov. GET REAL.

Barkov is the definition of a cerebral center.
Reading your post, one would believe you are inferring Monahan has no hockey sense? Could have fooled me...Or Barkov is the next Gretzky by the GET REAL commentary of your post. Much hyperbole?

I'll take a guy that has coached or assistant coached Landeskog, Richards amongst others word on it.

Quote:
"He has elite hockey sense," Spott said of Monahan. "He is just one of those players who can play in any situation - 5-on-5, 5-on-4, on your [penalty kill]. Sean has that innate ability. He is going to be an elite NHL player. There is no doubt about that."

It was high praise for a kid expected to be among the top-10 selections in the 2013 NHL entry draft, and one of only five draft eligible players invited to the Canadian junior selection camp.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...ht-future.html

Old
12-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Barkov lacks only Monahan's grit. Almost thought I was being trolled hard with this...

Barkov is a better player, hands down, playing in a better league than the OHL, against MEN. There are many NHL players in that league right now, and he continues to shine.

Monahan a "sure thing" over Barkov!? LOLOLOL. C'mon. Tried and tested? He didn't make the WJC squad over Drouin.

MacK
Barkov/Jones
-------------------
Lindholm
Drouin
Monahan

In terms of talent
It's not the NHL, right. Different league, how many Finns that played well there have been stars in the NHL. Here is a list spanning the last 10 years of the best player voted in SM Liiga:

2002 Janne Ojanen, Tappara
2003 Antti Miettinen, HPK
2004 Timo Pärssinen, HIFK
2005 Tim Thomas, Jokerit
2006 Tony Salmelainen, HIFK
2007 Cory Murphy, HIFK
2008 Ville Leino, Jokerit
2009 Juuso Riksman, Jokerit
2010 Jori Lehterä, Tappara
2011 Ville Peltonen, HIFK
2012 Tomáš Záborský, Ässät

Can Barkov play goal, temper your ethusiasm Ernie, he may be an intriguing prospect, and he does have 28 pts in 32 games in a mens league, important to look at those names above.

Old
12-24-2012, 11:15 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

" I used to like Spott, but right now I am questioning a lot of his decisions that make me not want to root for him."

Funny. Convenience will lead your mind in many directions, doesn't it? Lol

Just because Steve Spott says it, doesn't trump what you can see with your own eyes. NOBODY in their right mind is putting Monahan even equal, let alone above Barkov.

Old
12-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Interactif

Quote:
" I used to like Spott, but right now I am questioning a lot of his decisions that make me not want to root for him."

Funny. Convenience will lead your mind in many directions, doesn't it? Lol

Just because Steve Spott says it, doesn't trump what you can see with your own eyes. NOBODY in their right mind is putting Monahan even equal, let alone above Barkov.
Questioning coaching tactics equals questioning his hockey knowledge? Get real. I think most knowledgable hockey fans respect the program he runs out of Kitchener going back to the days of Deboer which Spott was a part of. Nice of you to select one quote and shape it to a different point of discussion.

And yes, I stand by that comment based on Pre tourney games, but perhaps Spott does not want to show his cards too early and we will see a different team on Boxing day. Russians are renouned for this, not tipping strategy too early.

Closed Thread