HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Exhibition • Dec. 20 • Finland 3, Canada 2

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 11:53 AM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
And the officials seal the win for the home-side at the end. The officiating was so bad this was like a throwback game from the bad old 70's & 80's, when the European officiating was baffling, sometimes hilarious, and always terrible.
Ugh it's pre tournament. Why do u make us sound so hurt... It's obviously a lot touchier reffing but aside from some questionable calls when a team is already on the kill, it wasn't that bad

Old
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
And the officials seal the win for the home-side at the end. The officiating was so bad this was like a throwback game from the bad old 70's & 80's, when the European officiating was baffling, sometimes hilarious, and always terrible.
I usually find reffing bad when Finland loses, I dont know how its possible but it sure is bad then. Usually fans from other country thinks the other way.

Old
thomast

Bad reffing for both sides. I expected canada to crush finland without their 4 top players but Canada is still adjusting to bigger ice surface. Good victory and i believe that this was important win for the team despite it was and pre-tournament game. They believe they can beat any team now. Sky is the limit for this team once they get their top players to the game.

Old
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

As strange as it sounds, this is exactly what the team needed. It is also a somewhat expected result as well.

Get the kinks out of the system early.

Old
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
What does Murphy need to do in order for people to get off his back. He was barely in is own end the whole game, I would say he was 65-70% Fenwick for the game. That one shift at the end of the game he was a little risky and cost his team 25 seconds in his own end...that was his poor play of the game and people attack.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:54 AM
phillipsj89

Guys, the Finnish refs obviously wanted to give the Fins a boost before the tourney started. Well Honestly, that's probably close to the reffing that we will get in the tourney, minus the fact that ref's wont be doing their home country.

Old
Sterling31
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
The problem is he's playing like one.
Typical.

If anyone without blinders were to put a list out of the 'worst' players. He wouldn't be on it.

Drouin, Rattie, Hamilton, Lipon all seemed meh. IF we are going to rate players after the first scrimmage game.

Old
Canada4Gold

Finland has a really good team here this year, knew this would be close even without Barkov, Ristolainen, Pokka, etc.

They're the favorites in the other pool imo, and will definately challenge for a medal.

That being said Canada always come out slow, once they build up some Chemistry and get used to playing together, on bigger ice, and the international refs they'll be fine

Old
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmojam View Post
These refs are not professionals. They have normal daytime jobs like all other people. That's why there are so many weak calls. Sucks, but what can you do..
Ah this clears it up for me. In my opinion, then we're just going to have to deal with it. Thanks for the info!

Congrats to the Finns, hopefully this game serves as a lesson for Canada so they can come back with more discipline and chemistry.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:56 AM
markyj93

no excuse for Canada's effort but wow that was some of the worst refing I've seen in a long time! The game just became about who's going to take the next chinsy penalty. I really hope those officials won't be in the actual tournament for every team's sake.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
As strange as it sounds, this is exactly what the team needed. It is also a somewhat expected result as well.

Get the kinks out of the system early.
My thoughts exactly, this is not 2005 this Team will have to work for it.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:57 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Yes the ref's were bad, but Finland scored on our power plays while Canada didn't

Old
12-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Yakushev72

Yakushev72

Great win for Finland! They have been picked to finish no higher than 5th in Ufa, and were expected to get blown off the ice by Canada in this game (see predictions of 8-1 loss and similar blowouts in the early pages of this thread). If nothing else, this game will encourage all of the other teams to realize that the superstar-laden Canadian team isn't guaranteed a Gold Medal in this tournament, and that they can be somewhat shut down. Coach Spott is going to have to work fast to get his team in sync with each other.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Maria Sharapova

Anyone bashing Rielly based on this game obviously hasn't watched Rielly before. He was not utilized well at all let him be the go to guy on his pairing and you will see why Morgan Rielly was a top 5 pick.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Faerun

would of been a fun game to watch until i heard the names of the refs, those 2 been awful all year and continued on their quest for rubbish reffing and still their one of the better ones from the FEL "sigh"

Old
12-20-2012, 12:00 PM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
Yes the ref's were bad, but Finland scored on our power plays while Canada didn't
Well, to be fair it's a bit easier to score on extended 5-3's than it is 5-4's.

PPs aside, Canada seemed mostly flat, while Finland seemed pretty composed.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 1304
Good to hear Ritchie will be okay did not return for precautionary reasons.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Reign Nateo

Canada didn't play with a lot of determination and weren't battling hard enough. Had more to do with the result than the refs I think.

Old
HarrisonFord
Lost a bet

I'd like to see Rielly-Reinheart as a pairing instead of Hamilton-Rielly. I'd like to keep that one to the PP. Rielly plays to compliment and set up Hamilton on that pairing and I think that makes him lose his effectiveness. He's best when he's the offensive catalyst and not the complimentary guy

Old
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Sharapova View Post
Anyone bashing Rielly based on this game obviously hasn't watched Rielly before. He was not utilized well at all let him be the go to guy on his pairing and you will see why Morgan Rielly was a top 5 pick.
I love your avatar.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:03 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Bob Mackenzie loves himself some Charles Hudon.. Can't say I agree with him personally.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:04 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
What does Murphy need to do in order for people to get off his back. He was barely in is own end the whole game, I would say he was 65-70% Fenwick for the game. That one shift at the end of the game he was a little risky and cost his team 25 seconds in his own end...that was his poor play of the game and people attack.
I liked Ryan Murphy this game; he had by far the most 'jump' out of any Canadian players this game, however I found he was trying to do too much with the puck. He had some beautiful rushes through the neutral zone all game, but it seemed like when he broke the blueline he made poor puck decisions and turned it over most of the time. I'd like to see him dump it behind the net more often and let the forwards go after it, or slow down and pass it to a teammate breaking into the zone. I didn't even think he was that bad in his own zone, my only gripe with him was offensive zone selfishness.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Cosmojam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerun View Post
the refs, those 2 been awful all year and continued on their quest for rubbish reffing and still their one of the better ones from the FEL "sigh"
I second that.

Old
12-20-2012, 12:05 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Bob Mackenzie loves himself some Charles Hudon.. Can't say I agree with him personally.
I'm just curious, is there a reason why?

Old
12-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyj93 View Post
no excuse for Canada's effort but wow that was some of the worst refing I've seen in a long time! The game just became about who's going to take the next chinsy penalty. I really hope those officials won't be in the actual tournament for every team's sake.
These refs are not atypical of those who will work the tournament. The thing that Canada will have to adjust to is that if someone takes an undisciplined penalty, there won't be any refs trying to even it up later. They don't really try to balance penalties out, they just call what they see. Penalties could be a huge problem for Canada if they don't adapt to how penalties are called in Europe.

Closed Thread