HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Exhibition • Dec. 20 • Finland 3, Canada 2

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 07:24 PM
canuck2010

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
You're twisting and turning things but it doesn't change anything really.
Didn't mean to twist and turn things. I'm not really debating the importance of winning the faceoff, however players get credit for a face off won even when there is no possession. I love the face off wins at center ice after the other team scores.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:27 PM
KareemTrustfund
Bogus call, ref!

vCash: 50
I like Murphy, but geez, the guy will NEVER make the easy play. He tries to do way too much himself. I know that he can go end to end and weave through players better then anyone on the team, but he literally tries it every single time he touches the puck, which lead to numerous turnovers today. Not sure why he was named Canada's best player, maybe Spott trying to boost his confidence?

Old
12-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Qrispy

Faceoffs are something RNH has to work on but he was one of the best players for Canada, so who cares? If Rattie didn't whiff on so many passes, Canada would have probably won this. I'm not trying to single out Rattie, in particular, but no one really created much offense besides Hudon, RNH, and Scheifele.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
I like Murphy, but geez, the guy will NEVER make the easy play. He tries to do way too much himself. I know that he can go end to end and weave through players better then anyone on the team, but he literally tries it every single time he touches the puck, which lead to numerous turnovers today. Not sure why he was named Canada's best player, maybe Spott trying to boost his confidence?
or just because he's Spott's player on the team and he's trying to solidify his spot in the Top-6.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Old
12-20-2012, 07:39 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
Didn't mean to twist and turn things. I'm not really debating the importance of winning the faceoff, however players get credit for a face off won even when there is no possession. I love the face off wins at center ice after the other team scores.
How many neutral ice faceoffs are there in a normal game compared to the ones that are from attack/defense zones? And even from the center ice faceoff the winning team gets the possession of the puck which is essential thing if you wanna score, isn't it?

Winning faceoffs = good, losing faceoffs = bad. It's just that simple.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
How many neutral ice faceoffs are there in a normal game compared to the ones that are from attack/defense zones? And even from the center ice faceoff the winning team gets the possession of the puck which is essential thing if you wanna score, isn't it?

Winning faceoffs = good, losing faceoffs = bad. It's just that simple.
Some teams clog up the neutral zone or hold the blueline better than other teams, and prefer to make them dump the puck in and try to come get it. If they lose a faceoff, they still have that to fall back on, and the net result is still gaining possession. It's just that simple, too.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:51 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
Invalid. Subban plays on international ice in Belleville. Looks like he'll just be another Allen/Visentin/Roy/Wedgewood.
Oh really? I didn't know that! Either way, defenders have the same adjustment to make. I'm not too worried, I have a lot more confidence in Subban then Visentin or Roy.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:21 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

So frustrating when amateur officials take control of games like they did today. I don't understand what happened with that Hudon non-goal.

How isn't that at least a penalty shot?

Old
12-20-2012, 08:31 PM
duul

I only watched the first two periods, but RNH set up Rattie and Scheifele so many times and they couldn't convert, especially Rattie. That will need to be figured out because this game could've easily been 6-3 Canada.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:43 PM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
is kurri involved in the finnish wj team?

Old
12-20-2012, 09:13 PM
premadonna

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0psh3lfclu7ch View Post
is kurri involved in the finnish wj team?
He's the GM of the men's national team.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:26 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

I heard that Maatta had a great game on the blueline for Finland. Would anybody be able to provide any feedback on his performance?

Old
12-20-2012, 09:31 PM
G51 K81*

Murphy is a hog.

That is all.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:13 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
The only people who like Murphy are those who are impressed by his "moves". Other than that he is a virtually ineffective and stupid hockey player.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Valarukar

Thoughts on how Harrington and Maata played today would be appreciated, thanks.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:16 PM
KareemTrustfund
Bogus call, ref!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I heard that Maatta had a great game on the blueline for Finland. Would anybody be able to provide any feedback on his performance?
Maatta was one of the best defenseman on the ice this game imo. Great poise on the PP and was fantastic defensively as well.

As for Murphy, It seemed like he was trying to make the tough plays all night and ended up coughing up the puck quite regularly. If he can start picking his spots better, he is going to have a good tournament.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The only people who like Murphy are those who are impressed by his "moves". Other than that he is a virtually ineffective and stupid hockey player.
This is a post full of well structured and convincing arguments supported by proven and verified facts.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:33 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
This is a post full of well structured and convincing arguments supported by proven and verified facts.
It is. Glad you see that.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Kloparren
Hth

These GDT's imo really shouldn't include the game's final score in the title which is stickied. It spoils it even for someone not opening the thread and planning to watch the game later.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He isn't very strong on defense no matter what his number one fan on here will tell you. He was getting out muscled by lots of Finns today. I wish he would mix it up a little more on offense. He is a fantastic skater and can fly up while carrying the puck. He's also a tremendous passer when he decides to do it. However, he holds the puck way too long and tries to beat one more guy than necessary at times. Not sure why he was named player of the game, not that anyone was great.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:51 PM
KareemTrustfund
Bogus call, ref!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
What facts do you need? Just watch the game, Murphy was awful and a liability whenever he touched the puck. His decision-making was horrendous.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Lacaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
The results are often the same.
Yet not dependent on the center alone. I can understand an argument on how it could be a bit of a misleading stat.

You can lose a face-off. You can lose a face off bad. You can draw and have your teammate lose it in the ensuing battle.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
What facts do you need? Just watch the game, Murphy was awful and a liability whenever he touched the puck. His decision-making was horrendous.
Yeah sure he was. The coaches wanted to make fun of Murphy so they sent their worst player up for player of the game to embarrass him.

Pretty sure I'm going to have to use sarcasm to deal with people like this now

Old
12-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Minister of Offence

Ryan Murphy looks alarmingly similar to Ryan Murphy two years ago. Gotta hope he just had no legs today but will be something to watch

Old
12-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
What's with the hate for Murphy? He was one of the better defensemen for Canada out there.

Closed Thread