HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

IIHF World Juniors

Old
01-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Another clutch goal from Grigorenko. The big quitter.

01-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Grigs!

Tim Murray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:42 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
McCabe has been an absolute revelation for me. From being named captain to stepping up the way he has, I had no clue what we had in him. I can't wait for the next prospect poll. Our prospects are looking so freaking good right now, it's got me giddy!

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:00 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
McCabe has been an absolute revelation for me. From being named captain to stepping up the way he has, I had no clue what we had in him. I can't wait for the next prospect poll. Our prospects are looking so freaking good right now, it's got me giddy!
Yeah, he's really stepped up big time.

You look at McCabe and he's not elite in anything...but he just gets the job done. And the poise he has shown...

Thinking real long term here, but McCabe-Myers would be an excellent pairing I think.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:45 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
I still think back to Chain praising the kid right off the bat after he was drafted and McCabe has done lots of positive since then. That pick keeps looking better and better.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Quote:
Same for me. I barely knew anything about him during the draft, really all I knew was that he was Justin Schultz's partner. At one of the dev camp practises and the scrimmage, he never really did anything that stood out to me - not that I base my entire opinion on guys seeing them play twice, but he's just not a flashy guy.

I was just hoping he'd make the US team, then he got named captain, and now he's been fantastic in every game I've seen him in. It sucks that Canada isn't playing for a gold (well, for me at least, most of you guys are probably pretty damn happy about that) but if Canada was going to be eliminated, I'm glad it was at the hands of McCabe. It would've been nice to see his pairing play against Grigs' line in the finals.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:59 PM
sabresfan129103

Great picture of Mccabe. Courtesy of https://twitter.com/ElenaRusko

sabresfan129103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Old Navy Goat

I don't know how anyone else feels but nothing would make me laugh more than the anointed greatest Junior team not even taking home the bronze.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:48 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
I don't know how anyone else feels but nothing would make me laugh more than the anointed greatest Junior team not even taking home the bronze.
Agreed, but Team Russia is dreadful. The only reason they made it as far as they did was thanks to good goal-tending and a weak group. Canada dominated them earlier and I expect them to do the same again. Grigorenko is the only forward on that team with any hockey sense. Just a bunch of puck-hogging hot dogs trying to score on the rush by themselves every-time they touch the puck.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Agreed, but Team Russia is dreadful. The only reason they made it as far as they did was thanks to good goal-tending and a weak group. Canada dominated them earlier and I expect them to do the same again. Grigorenko is the only forward on that team with any hockey sense. Just a bunch of puck-hogging hot dogs trying to score on the rush by themselves every-time they touch the puck.
I like Kucherov and Slepyshev, as well, but they are a team of individuals for sure.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:57 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I like Kucherov and Slepyshev, as well, but they are a team of individuals for sure.
I was hoping they would win, I'd much rather play them than Sweden. The game USA played against Russia earlier was a fluke, their goal-tending is good but not 1 goal on 40 shots good. The US has found chemistry and you can see the night/day difference between the two games against Canada.

Sweden on the other hand is a full-functioning hockey team, and might be more talented (outside of goal).

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:58 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
It would be hilarious, but I think Canada beats Russia.

OkimLom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Just worry about your team saturday, win or lose everyone knows Canada produces a very large portion of the best players in the world. No one in Canada said this is our greatest junior team. There has been quiet a few question marks in goal and defence before the tournament started. Ignorant comments like this really irritate me especially when me and many others here are canadian. Its not an easy tournament to even get a metal in which you should know after the USA finished in the relagation rounds 2 of the last 5 years. At the end of the day these are only 17-19 year old kids who have tremendous amounts of pressure on them, heck this will be the pinnacle of quite a few guys careers.

Last edited by 1972: 01-03-2013 at 06:36 PM.
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:24 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Just worry about your team saturday, win or lose everyone knows Canada produces the best players in the world. No one in Canada said this is our greatest junior team. There has been quiet a few question marks in goal and defence before the tournament started.
Some of the best.

Great players come from all over the world. They are not the exclusive domain of the Great White North.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:38 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Just worry about your team saturday, win or lose everyone knows Canada produces a very large portion of the best players in the world. No one in Canada said this is our greatest junior team. There has been quiet a few question marks in goal and defence before the tournament started. Ignorant comments like this really irritate me especially when me and many others here are canadian. Its not an easy tournament to even get a metal in which you should know after the USA finished in the relagation rounds 2 of the last 5 years.
Agreed. Thank you for saying this! This was a very hard Team Canada team to cheer for. I'm not sure any of us really were all that impressed with this team before and during the tournament, even when we were winning. The problem came from the top and trickled down.

On a more positive note, is there any chance that McCabe leaves Wisconsin early and joins the logjam on defence in Rochester next year or the year after?

ottsabrefan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Just worry about your team saturday, win or lose everyone knows Canada produces a very large portion of the best players in the world. No one in Canada said this is our greatest junior team. There has been quiet a few question marks in goal and defence before the tournament started. Ignorant comments like this really irritate me especially when me and many others here are canadian. Its not an easy tournament to even get a metal in which you should know after the USA finished in the relagation rounds 2 of the last 5 years. At the end of the day these are only 17-19 year old kids who have tremendous amounts of pressure on them, heck this will be the pinnacle of quite a few guys careers.
You pretty much highlighted the reason why many outside Canada find it difficult to tolerate Canadians when it comes to hockey and why comments like the one you responded to are even made.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
Agreed. Thank you for saying this! This was a very hard Team Canada team to cheer for. I'm not sure any of us really were all that impressed with this team before and during the tournament, even when we were winning. The problem came from the top and trickled down.

On a more positive note, is there any chance that McCabe leaves Wisconsin early and joins the logjam on defence in Rochester next year or the year after?
Wisconsin has done a pretty good job of pumping out NHL prospects (especially the defenseman) so I'd like to see him stay at least one more year.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
You pretty much highlighted the reason why many outside Canada find it difficult to tolerate Canadians when it comes to hockey and why comments like the one you responded to are even made.
Because what I said wasent true? Nothing I said was untrue, arrogant, or meant to affend anyone. At least it wasent intended to be.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post

r?
I couldnt tolerate watching Scheifele and Huberdeau for another game.

Old
01-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Actually the Canadian media were pimping them as saying how this was going to be such a great team since at least 8 of their players would have been in the NHL instead of playing for team Canada. Hell they were wondering if this team was going to dominate more than the last lockout team.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Actually the Canadian media were pimping them as saying how this was going to be such a great team since at least 8 of their players would have been in the NHL instead of playing for team Canada. Hell they were wondering if this team was going to dominate more than the last lockout team.
Its not like they were not a great team, they lost one game which just so happened to be the wrong game to not show up for. No Canadians who I know thought this was as good as the 05 team.

I hope USA does well against Sweden, you cant stereotype an entire country because of a few trolls on the main board. Hfboards makes up a very small percentage of Canadian hockey fans and most of them are teenagers. Most real Canadian hockey fans respect USA Hockey more than most would know.

Last edited by 1972: 01-03-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old
01-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Jamie Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Some of the best.

Great players come from all over the world. They are not the exclusive domain of the Great White North.
how did you get a quote and leave out "a very large portion" which makes the original poster look bad? post 238, and 239

Last edited by Jamie Walker: 01-03-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: to tell the exact posts
Jamie Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Walker View Post
how did you get a quote and leave out "a very large portion" which makes the original poster look bad? post 238, and 239
I did originally have that before I edited my post, it wasn't what I intended to say though.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Rhett4
Say no to Ekblad

I came looking for more perspective on this morning's games and walked smack dab in the middle of a Canada vs. USA debate. Oy. Can we talk about how great McCabe's been this tournament and compare Grigorenko and Yakupov some more? That's much more fun. Even complaining about how Girgenson had to stay in Rochester would be better.

In that spirit, predictions on the medal games?

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Jamie Walker

thanks for clearing that up, couldn't understand how that could happen.

Jamie Walker is offline   Reply With Quote